Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: City Centre Mall | Renovation | Under Construction

Default City Centre Mall | Renovation | Under Construction

I heard today the food court in City Centre East (the big one) is going to be removed and this is to facilitate a connection with the lrt to the new arena development. There will be a new food court built in the new arena development. It makes perfect sense as several vacancies in the bottom floor area have not been filled.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Second big rumour about City Centre I have heard recently.. lots of vacancies in ECC East seem to not be getting filled on multiple floors. Hope the new food court isn't as closed off and stuck in a basement somewhere like the current one. Also, I wonder the timelines??
    Hopefully we see a more complete reno of ECC.. especially the horrible exteriors and lack of street interaction.
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

It sounds like it is going to be pretty massive. I assume the new food court will be above grade which will be much more attractive. It appears the food court will be used during games and events; and also will be open during the day as well.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Sounds like BS to me, because all that doesn't even make a whit of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CitySlicker View Post
    I heard today the food court in City Centre East (the big one) is going to be removed and this is to facilitate a connection with the lrt to the new arena development.
    Connection with which LRT line?

The current LRT line? There's already an underground connection to the mall.

The new NAIT line? The one that will run NW from Churchill station under the new EPCOR tower and above ground to Grant Mac? This line will be no where near the mall. Unless they plan on building a 2-block long underground pedway.

The downtown connector on 102 Ave? It will be a street-level line, why would they need an underground entrance? Plus it doesn't really go by the new arena.

There will be a new food court built in the new arena development. It makes perfect sense as several vacancies in the bottom floor area have not been filled.
    Are you saying they are going to move the food court from City Centre East to a building that is over 2 blocks away? What are they going to do, build a massive pedway tunnel under 101 St?

And who is going to build all this? Oxford? Katz group? The city?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

LRT Hallway to Churchill Station! They are not building a new line I am sure! At best they might have a people mover. Likely will just be a hallway to new arena development.

Sorry, but replacing the food court with a massive pedway connector between Churchill station and the arena still doesn't make any sense.

Another reason why this could be BS is because this defeats one of the goals of the downtown revitalization initiatives, which is to have more people on the street instead of pedways...an initiative that the arena development has bought into for the most part.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

This idea could have many possibilities. I want to hear more.

This rumour would make a lot more sense if it was City Center West...

Also - SDM - Macewan station will be pretty close to CCW... (as close as any of the other near by stations)

So who is going to build this underground pedway?

Oxford? They couldn't be bothered to build a proper underground ped link across the street from CCE to CCW....there's still just the rinky-dink narrow tunnel with a narrow stairway and escalator.
    The City?
    Katz?

Wait...is this Mandel's shocking announcement?

I would agree City Centre West may appear to make more sense. But this is what a person who works in City Centre said to me.

He was referencing what was going on with the leases in the east food court.

C2E SME

I imagine, if/when the Arena District announcement is finalized, that City Centre Mall will be going through some kind of renovation/upgrade.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

He was referencing what was going on with the leases in the east food court.
    And that's the other thing...last I saw, the only vacancies in the lower CC East is the long-dormant Arbys (not exactly a prime spot, under the staircase) and the just-closed Orange Julius. Where are all these other vacancies down there? If anything, the mall has more trouble filling the CC West lower level.

A big vacancy right next to KFC and also just across from KFC. Another one two doors down from Grand + Toy.

C2E Continued Contributor

That's a really dumb place to start a pedway from. Also, it seems premature to start a tunnel to an arena that doesn't even have funding in place.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

A big vacancy right next to KFC and also just across from KFC. Another one two doors down from Grand + Toy.
    the old partyplace is empty. Hakim moved to 109st and Jasper for cheaper rent as per their store manager, the shoe repair moved and has remained empty, Arbys and now Orange Julius.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

But why the hell would you spend that kind of dough when you (Aspen) can add a small pedway from BELL to the arena entertainment area and you are connected.

If anything and if I were Oxford, I would work on strengthening the DELTA to 104ave routing on 102st.1 block outside or 3 or 4 inside the mouse maze?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Has anyone contacted Oxford and asked them?
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    This rumour would make a lot more sense if it was City Center West...
    I thought that as well, East is a long way from the Arena district. I would have thought Bell would be the connection to the Arena district, even East is a fair distance.

Shouldn't the Arena district have its own food court / attractions and similar? I don't know why City Centre would want to not compete though, or why the two would work together. Still, who knows?

C2E SME

Looking at the map of the mall and surrounding area the only thing that would make any sense is to extend the tunnel diagonally north west so that there would be a pedway entrance either right on the northwest corner of the east building or accross the street in or near the Bell tower. Now with that said, that still doesn't make much sense to do.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

love a good rumour thread on a Monday morning. I think it's all BS but hey.... whatevs

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I'm not sure where the competition would be. The customers for the two foodcourts (mall and arena) are two entirely different populations on two different time scales.

The mall foodcourt is open during shopping hours which approximate office hours (with some evenings and weekends of course). The arena foodcourt would be doing most of its business in the evenings and weekends (including weekend evenings).

I thought this thread idea strange myself. I've done the mouse trail expedition from the mall to the station and hate it (too many slippery tile slopes and too many parkades). I use the Central station instead (easy access via Telus or Commerce Place).

As to closing the food court so people can get to the Arena district? That makes no sense at all given the existing geography of the LRT and stations.

Eve

C2E SME

Well I've learned long ago that you give one person a tiny bit of information and just watch how that grows and transforms as you move along. If I get a chance to contact oxford in the next little while I'll have to see if they actually know of this rumor.

A rumor has the best legs if it is plausible.

The Keg @ Westin seemed very viable hence why it was reported in The Tomato. Likewise, the other City Centre Mall rumor of a new major retailer facing Churchill Square is viable.

But this new food court/pedway tunnel rumor doesn't make sense. Even if Oxford had such grandiose plans, I doubt the City would approve it because of the new downtown revitalization initiatives that includes getting more people out of the pedways and out into the streets.

There are rumours one of the food courts will go, but this tunnel idea is bunk
    www.decl.org

Sounds stupid. Why wouldn't they keep the current food court as well as have food at the arena? With increased downtown density in the future, there will be more than enough business, and that mall will (hopefully) stay open until 9pm and generate all-day traffic.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Not to mention the fact that the entertainment district wont be a food court setup. It will be a mid to mid upper sit down formula.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    There are rumours one of the food courts will go
    I wonder which one though? The east one is much busier, and yet makes the most sense to redevelop into a large retailer. The west one has more room to expand so the east food courters could move there.

Both food courts are incredibly crowded though during lunch hour so there's clearly the need for that much seating even if all the merchants aren't equally busy.

I'm certainly not opposed, however, to having food courts that aren't in a basement.

Eve

I'd rather C2E than work!

Well one thing if they do switch one of the food courts around it could limit the amount of low lifes that use them as their private living rooms. I was in the ECC west court yesterday and this couple of loafers were having a screaming match by the washrooms next to Taco Bell. With the scummy guy ripping at his girl friend because all she wanted to do was go to the washrooms.

I have seen way to much of that because of "some of the customers" attracted by the Dollarama store, EEC East foodcourt seems a tad more civilized.

CCW food court restrooms is too small for such crowd, if food court from the eastside is moved out.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

^As someone who is always in ECC, both food courts can attract a fairly dodgy clientele. At least ECC East has more traffic which makes it seem a bit safer to me anyways. (For the record, I never have felt actually threatened).. but sometimes it isn't nice to regularly see people getting kicked out of the washrooms down there for drinking in them or drug related stuff. Hopefully they can do something to change the image of both food courts. Not having any view outside sure doesn't help either.

Good seeing you yesterday btw! Thanks for coming by
    @BrettSMcKenna

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Well one thing if they do switch one of the food courts around it could limit the amount of low lifes that use them as their private living rooms. I was in the ECC west court yesterday and this couple of loafers were having a screaming match by the washrooms next to Taco Bell. With the scummy guy ripping at his girl friend because all she wanted to do was go to the washrooms.

I have seen way to much of that because of "some of the customers" attracted by the Dollarama store, EEC East foodcourt seems a tad more civilized.
    ^As someone who is always in ECC, both food courts can attract a fairly dodgy clientele. At least ECC East has more traffic which makes it seem a bit safer to me anyways. (For the record, I never have felt actually threatened).. but sometimes it isn't nice to regularly see people getting kicked out of the washrooms down there for drinking in them or drug related stuff. Hopefully they can do something to change the image of both food courts. Not having any view outside sure doesn't help either.

@BrettSMcKenna

C2E SME

One thing that could help is maybe doing something similar to what has been done at southgate. They have a customer service desk right near the washrooms in their food court. By having a customer service desk or security desk in that same way at just say one large food court, west food court maybe, then that might clean the area up so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by brett- View Post

You too! No problemo LOL.

Anyways as Edmcowboy mentioned at Southgate they have a customer service desk located in the food court (which is a good idea because the attendent can then call security) and the Security office is right at the entrance adjacent to the LRT station.

ECC needs more visibility in regards to security personnel I occasionaly see them chatting with the staff at the info desk on the main floor and that is about it. I do not even know where their office is....East? West? Up? Down? Anywhere? All around?

^I believe it is in the hallway beside the doors facing 102A Avenue right across from the YMCA... either that or that is some sort of mall admin office? Regardless it is uber out of the way.
    @BrettSMcKenna

Makes no sense, As in a downtown mall they need to be far more visible to weed out the problems that seem to occur everyday.

Oxford charges a pretty penny for the 'privilege' of the surrounding properties connecting to their mall. Without the mall I doubt we'd have many pedways. It makes sense that they want any new development to the NW to be able to access their mall. Not saying I love it, just saying.
    www.decl.org

Looks like we just found a new funding source for the arena - charging Oxford a fee to connect to it

So Oxford would be the ones funding the cost of this pedway tunnel? Or what?

I'm guessing most of it, yes
    www.decl.org

I wish Oxford would widen the lower level pedway tunnel between CC West and East. If they can't get that one right, I worry about their ability to build another one to the arena.

^Wish and you may receive . But costly.
    www.decl.org

SDM - they weren't the ones that made that "mistake"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I wish Oxford would widen the lower level pedway tunnel between CC West and East. If they can't get that one right, I worry about their ability to build another one to the arena.
    Widen and lower is exactly the opposite of contemporary thinking sir. Raise and narrow.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Oxford charges a pretty penny for the 'privilege' of the surrounding properties connecting to their mall. Without the mall I doubt we'd have many pedways. It makes sense that they want any new development to the NW to be able to access their mall. Not saying I love it, just saying.
    How do you mean? Mall or not, pedways would exist...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    How do you mean? Mall or not, pedways would exist...
    Between buildings without services? I doubt that. In any case, they all do mostly connect somehow, someway to the mall.
    www.decl.org

Widen and lower is exactly the opposite of contemporary thinking sir. Raise and narrow.
    Narrow it further?? If that is what constitutes contemporary thinking, some of you urbanists are on some seriously righteous crack. If I ran that mall, I would widen that low-level tunnel, put in a wheelchair ramp, pretty it up, maybe have retail bays there if possible. Or do away with it entirely, which ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 06-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Narrow it further?? If that is what constitutes contemporary thinking, some of you urbanists are on some seriously righteous crack. If I ran that mall, I would widen that low-level tunnel, put in a wheelchair ramp, pretty it up, maybe have retail bays there if possible. Or do away with it entirely, which ain't gonna happen.
    I totally agree, the lowers levels of both sections of the mall need to be connected properly since we live in an era of universal proper handicapped access. As it stands customers who need to use walkers, wheelchairs or canes have to go up to the next level (street) and risk crossing traffic lanes or up to the 2nd floor to cross over to the other section of the mall and having to wait forever for a single lift..As well as the elevators in ECC west are all the way down towards The Bay at the opposite end.

In other words it's at a least ten to fifteen minute detour for a 3 minute access that the rest of us who can walk properly can utilize. NOT FAIR!

Not only that, but you would think the mall would want more of a sense of unity between East and West.

So...to jump to the problem of empty retail bays in lower East, widen the part beside Shoppers! Move the remaining retailers (stuffed bear shop, vitamin shop) elsewhere, remove those retail bays, maybe up to where the Kiwi juice and EB Games are. That makes that lower part of the mall more open and more desirable looking while getting rid of the unwanted bays. Then widen under 101 St.

With that more open and more unified lower level, they have more choices to run an underground pedway to the arena.

darrellinyvr, you seem to be the resident retailer expert here...what do you think of that idea?

Not only that, but you would think the mall would want more of a sense of unity between East and West.

So...to jump to the problem of empty retail bays in lower East, widen the part beside Shoppers! Move the remaining retailers (stuffed bear shop, vitamin shop) elsewhere, remove those retail bays, maybe up to where the Kiwi juice and EB Games are. That makes that lower part of the mall more open and more desirable looking while getting rid of the unwanted bays. Then widen under 101 St.

With that more open and more unified lower level, they have more choices to run an underground pedway to the arena.

darrellinyvr, you seem to be the resident retailer expert here...what do you think of that idea?
    Basically you are suggesting more of a larger mall version for the connection of the two separate parts of the ECC through the bottom level and I agree.

Right now exiting EEC East to the western section is through the same narrow add on corridor and escalator that connected the former Edmonton Centre with the previous Eatons store which was and still is just a narrow hall. That just remains a tunnel under 101st Street.

So yes a larger sized lower mall styled version connecting the two segments with the stores realigned to look more consistant with adequate space for access for shoppers and ones who require handicapped access between the two parts of the bottom floor that were constructed at seperate levels as seperate complexes..

I know it would require a large amount of structural change with construction probably digging up that section of 101st Street while the lower level was basically redesigned in a better way but it would offer better access for all shoppers (I'm sure alot of people would say there is handicapped access through the upper pedway) but that is not convenient or fair to those shoppers who need to be as mobile in there as you or I.

As you pointed out it would also create a more focused "centre point" in the downtown pedway system accessing the ECC , transit and upcoming arena connections so that fans and visitors to events in the arena can move through the complex easier and that will provide a stronger customer base to ECC with events traffic that is bound to increase.

While in the good weather yes people will walk the streets or use the pedway system but face it when it is -40 and you want to park in a parkade or walk from either Churchill, Central, Bay stations and if there is an easy well done pedway/mall expansion connecting the two bottom halves of ECC you will take it.

It would be costly and but it could give Edmonton a slightly more Toronto Eaton Centre feel in regards to walking indoors especially during winter.

But my main feeling is access for disabled/elderly shoppers to connect to both sides of the centre needs to be far more fair. Next time anyone see shoppers in ECC see how few shoppers/employees with disabilities really hit the bottom floors because it is time consuming and inconvenient again not very fair at all.

But it would all come down to Oxford actually wanting to upgrade ECC to rival S'Gate, WEM and K'way for better lower level connection and having to spend the $$$ to do it.
    Last edited by NielCole; 07-03-2012 at 12:35 AM.

Hahaha... sorry I thought you meant the bridge connection above grade.
    www.decl.org

OK, you're forgiven!

I wonder if there are there any structural limitations of 101 St that prevents the lower level tunnel from expanding?

If iw as going to dump a bunch of money into the place I wouldn't do it in some subterranean rabbit hole, but thats me.

Nothing about this rumor sounds plausible at all.

On the way into the office, I saw hoarding go up at the vacancy referred to. I guess It's leased. I bet to someone great. I suspect knowing people I know it will be an awesome looking retail store.

And to put a 3 block underground tunnel makes no financial sense. U of A did a tunnel a few years ago for like $10 million. When it comes to ROI, noone would invest in a tunne for the sake of a tunnel unless it's to connect to the LRT which the mall already is to the East at Churchhill.
    Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think what nobody yet has thought that which everyone sees. - Schopenhauer

Basically you are suggesting more of a larger mall version for the connection of the two separate parts of the ECC through the bottom level and I agree.

Right now exiting EEC East to the western section is through the same narrow add on corridor and escalator that connected the former Edmonton Centre with the previous Eatons store which was and still is just a narrow hall. That just remains a tunnel under 101st Street.

So yes a larger sized lower mall styled version connecting the two segments with the stores realigned to look more consistant with adequate space for access for shoppers and ones who require handicapped access between the two parts of the bottom floor that were constructed at seperate levels as seperate complexes..

I know it would require a large amount of structural change with construction probably digging up that section of 101st Street while the lower level was basically redesigned in a better way but it would offer better access for all shoppers (I'm sure alot of people would say there is handicapped access through the upper pedway) but that is not convenient or fair to those shoppers who need to be as mobile in there as you or I.

As you pointed out it would also create a more focused "centre point" in the downtown pedway system accessing the ECC , transit and upcoming arena connections so that fans and visitors to events in the arena can move through the complex easier and that will provide a stronger customer base to ECC with events traffic that is bound to increase.

While in the good weather yes people will walk the streets or use the pedway system but face it when it is -40 and you want to park in a parkade or walk from either Churchill, Central, Bay stations and if there is an easy well done pedway/mall expansion connecting the two bottom halves of ECC you will take it.

It would be costly and but it could give Edmonton a slightly more Toronto Eaton Centre feel in regards to walking indoors especially during winter.

But my main feeling is access for disabled/elderly shoppers to connect to both sides of the centre needs to be far more fair. Next time anyone see shoppers in ECC see how few shoppers/employees with disabilities really hit the bottom floors because it is time consuming and inconvenient again not very fair at all.

But it would all come down to Oxford actually wanting to upgrade ECC to rival S'Gate, WEM and K'way for better lower level connection and having to spend the $$$ to do it.

Long story short, Edmonton will never be like TEC or The Core. The downtown demographic does not call for it. With regional malls such as Kingsway really close and Oxford's $60million investment in Kingsway, Edmonton City Centre is a different mall. Will retail improve yes. Will it be like TEC or the Core, no; however, will it be changed you bet. Do they want to change it, you bet. But anyone who doesn't know the retailers personally doesn't understand business implications. Edmonton was slated for 1 Apple Store. Then 2. At most, Apple will do 3 and it won't be downton. H&M is dying at The Core who has a larger downtown base, so would they come to City Centre, plausible, but unlikely. The truth is, many retailers are risk adverse and the downtown fashion market is unique in Edmonton. We don't have the male population to support both Singer and Rosen. Rosen needs big stores and wouldn't do a small store. I could see another men's store on 104 street before Edmonton City Centre.

The demographic downtown has a lot of low-in come, younger students. With more educational facilities increasing enrollment downtown and more companies highering young admin asssitants, that won't help for high-end fashion like many want. I could argue for the merits on both sides of the fence, but at the end of the day will things change, yes, but in time and with the right people and the forsight behind the scences to know what makes fiscal sense for Oxford and it's Tenants. Noone wants to put in Tenants to have them fail. That is good for noone.
    Thus the task is not so much to see what no-one yet has seen, but to think what nobody yet has thought that which everyone sees. - Schopenhauer

I love people who use words like NEVER.. Never is a really really really long time.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
    The demographic downtown has a lot of low-in come, younger students. With more educational facilities increasing enrollment downtown and more companies highering young admin asssitants, that won't help for high-end fashion like many want.
    I spent more on fashion when I was a young student, than I do now. I think you will find young admin assistants also spend a lot of fashion, they often have more active social lives than a married couple in the burbs (and, not all of them have poor boyfriends/girlfriends).

Downtown doesn't have to compete with Toronto to be a lot better, many cities with much smaller populations have better downtowns than Edmonton despite the lack of towers, simply because there are people living downtown, and attractions that are of interest. Fashion is only one compent of that mix.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    The demographic downtown has a lot of low-in come, younger students. With more educational facilities increasing enrollment downtown and more companies highering young admin asssitants, that won't help for high-end fashion like many want.
    I spent more on fashion when I was a young student, than I do now. I think you will find young admin assistants also spend a lot of fashion, they often have more active social lives than a married couple in the burbs (and, not all of them have poor boyfriends/girlfriends).

Downtown doesn't have to compete with Toronto to be a lot better, many cities with much smaller populations have better downtowns than Edmonton despite the lack of towers, simply because there are people living downtown, and attractions that are of interest. Fashion is only one compent of that mix.
    A good example is Saskatoon.

They have kept all the better stores downtown centered around Midtown Plaza.
    For a city of around 300,000 people, Their downtown is not a quiet backwater as all the national chains that have branches there try to be located in the city centre. As the UofS is just across the river and it is the shopping hub for Northern Saskatchewan (when they are not filling the lots at WEM)

Just the Walmarts and Zellers fill the suburban malls there.

In many cases if Saskatchewan gets only one store in a national or international chain Saskatoon gets it not Regina. (Just a smaller version of the Edmonton vs Calgary thing) We will get it because of WEM, Calgary because of a stronger DT sometimes....(ie Brooks Brothers and a larger better Holts)

On the way into the office, I saw hoarding go up at the vacancy referred to. I guess It's leased. I bet to someone great. I suspect knowing people I know it will be an awesome looking retail store.
    Great to hear Troy...interested to see who it is
    www.decl.org

Interested to know exactly which space he is referring to

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

This space? Two down from Grand & Toy.

thanks, I'm reposting that pic in a more relevant thread...

C2E SME

So has there been any further movement on this rumour that anyone has heard about?

C2E Posting Power

/\ Sure, its still not true

i remember the centre downtown in the 80's it was quite the chic place and didn't have all the tourists like WEM did with many of the same shops like benetton - which was at its peak in the 80's and club monaco etc

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    i remember the centre downtown in the 80's it was quite the chic place and didn't have all the tourists like WEM did with many of the same shops like benetton - which was at its peak in the 80's and club monaco etc
    In the 90s, it was still chic. Or at least my older brother would take me there versus going to MWTC or Heritage.
    Xelebes

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So has there been any further movement on this rumour that anyone has heard about?
    Oxford is looking at some massive changes to City Center Mall as per a source in the biz.

hopefully those changes include an exterior overhaul and some street-facing retail

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Oxford is looking at some massive changes to City Center Mall as per a source in the biz.
    heard the same from someone at oxford a while back too
    @BrettSMcKenna

Quote Originally Posted by Ander View Post
    hopefully those changes include an exterior overhaul and some street-facing retail
    I will say is MASSIVE...

The scope of the work also includes a high profile hotel discussed in another thread.

I will say is MASSIVE...

The scope of the work also includes a high profile hotel discussed in another thread.
    Good. I hope we actually see it happen. A nice big hotel right where the crappy parkade is on the NW corner or on the side facing Churchill Square would be nice.

I'm thinking rebranding, redoing (building up), re-everythinging the Delta.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

If what Oxford is proposing about City Centre Mall is true, then this is great! I'm sick and tired of having to see what a half-baked mess they've done in renoing the exterior (which is really bad west of 101 St!), and parts of the interior are so dated it's not funny!
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Well, I certainly like these rumours better than the one about turning the mall into a gigantic pedway tunnel to the arena!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I will say is MASSIVE...

Please elaborate.

Anything could be an exterior improvement as presently it has the charm of a bomb shelter with a hint of "cammo" in regards to the sickly yellow paint on ECC East. They should have just left it "70's Cement Bunker" as it was cleaner looking than the crap they used to try to "update" it.

The hotel project is not on the City Center Mall Lands... It's a high profile hotel that is close by and has a lot of excitement on another thread.

^ So essentially Kelly-Ramsey; how big of an impact will that have on ECC?

Exciting rumor, nonetheless.

I am looking forward to more details for sure!

With a redeveloped Kelly-Ramsey block and a renovated city centre (which HOPEFULLY creates a LOT more action street level) that whole area all of the sudden will feel quite different I think. MAjor positive change. I really would like more details and absolute confirmation (not to mention action!) on both though.
    @BrettSMcKenna

Curious to see what they do with ECCE.
    www.decl.org

It seems like only yesterday that the Bay was at the other end, and the design was being re-done. City Centre is like a never ending redevelopment project, hope they get it right this time

PS. I don't expect much street front retail - the few stores that did seemed to have little traffic coming in from the street. It just creates an extra entrance to be managed by staff.

^well they shouldn't be building for the past. They know there is a surface LRT line going right past 2 blocks of their mall, and that there will be a stop right on that stretch. If they don't have the foresight to expect an increase in foot traffic coming in off the street, then they deserve to be a 3rd rate mall.

^I think rather than retail, it would be a great location for cafes or bars along the LRT line. I'm not sure that could be done though, given there is already retail in those locations. Although, I guess the retail on 2nd floor seems to do better than ground, so maybe it would be possible.

When I say 'street front retail' I mean basically any door that you can open from the sidewalk that leads directly into a business rather than a hallway.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I think rather than retail, it would be a great location for cafes or bars along the LRT line. I'm not sure that could be done though, given there is already retail in those locations. Although, I guess the retail on 2nd floor seems to do better than ground, so maybe it would be possible.
    I agree. The second floor has more shopping foot traffic because everything is connected so it's like a giant mall (I hate giant malls, but that's me). But pubs and cafes prosper more from people coming in off the street. I know when I am in the neighborhood I am always looking for somewhere just to sit down and have a coffee/snack.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by brett- View Post
    With a redeveloped Kelly-Ramsey block and a renovated city centre (which HOPEFULLY creates a LOT more action street level) that whole area all of the sudden will feel quite different I think. MAjor positive change. I really would like more details and absolute confirmation (not to mention action!) on both though.
    Well lets hope the arena goes through..

I actually wouldn't mind if Oxford continued some stuff where Triple 5 left off...namely, a high-rise hotel instead of the stump that the Delta is now.
    Also, Sutton is currently doing some renos that will hopefully bring the lobby and 2nd floor out of the 1970s.

is there room for a nordstrom to go in?

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    is there room for a nordstrom to go in?
    Not to me anyways. Nordstrom wants into West Edmonton Mall. Both Triple 5 and Nordstrom has both verified that "rumour" when the press was talking about the closure of Sears in DT YVR, And how they want to expand into several Canadian markets the cities listed on both CTV and Global also specifically mentioned West Edmonton Mall, Yorkdale in Toronto, Vancouver and possibly Calgary in the first run to open up here.

If CityCentre manged to get Nordstrom it would take a huge gutting of ECC to make a flagship type store in there to work just sticking it on the lower level in a food court provides no visual access to the street.

If they hollowed out Winners and went up into what was also the former Woodwards space on the upper floors working their way around the CBC Studios next door it may work in a very twisted and vertical way maybe....

But they would have to move the Fitness Centre, and offices on the floors above too to make it worth while.

I hope City Centre gets a better tenant mix along with that rumored reno. Right now, even Londonderry has a more attractive tenant roster and only 1 Shoppers.

This assumes that Oxford are not part of Katz developments behind Staples...but if it were then ECC could be linked to Nordstrom in the new retail/hotel complex - just like their flagship Seattle Store (which is connected to adding malls). I love Nordstrom and downtown is the BEST place for one as it will bring high $$$ customers to the arena district.

^ "Behind Staples" - are you referring to the parking lot on the NW corner of 103 Ave and 102 St?

Oxford does own the Bell tower plus the Staples building IIRC.

C2E Posting Power

Actually Oxford has sold both Bell Tower and the Staples lot.

I hope City Centre gets a better tenant mix along with that rumored reno. Right now, even Londonderry has a more attractive tenant roster and only 1 Shoppers.
    After WEM, Southgate, and Kingsway...(no order intended) As they are all ahead of ECC.

I post ECC at a "par" with Londonderry. Londonderry wins somewhat for a better Winners store, and having a Army & Navy. ECC wins for a nice pedway with a Tim Hortons with a view while waiting in line.

^The Bay downtown does a lot better than Londonderry though. I don't see the comparison.
    www.decl.org

So I can't help but notice that all the empty bays in the CC mall have no leasing signs or any indication they are open ffor leasing.

^ I have noticed that too, seems like a pretty big missed opportunity for Oxford
    @BrettSMcKenna

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast