Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,100 of 2223

Thread: City Centre Mall | Renovation | Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Well, I have heard that Oxford may be selling their assets (not sure which ones in particular) so that may explain seeing the 'suits'.
    It would explain the money spent on the physical building but not much done to bring in new tenants.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Well, I have heard that Oxford may be selling their assets (not sure which ones in particular) so that may explain seeing the 'suits'.
    It would explain the money spent on the physical building but not much done to bring in new tenants.
    Likely not. It's better to have a full building versus one with vacancies when trying to sell given that you have current cash flow that can support a sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Likely not. It's better to have a full building versus one with vacancies when trying to sell given that you have current cash flow that can support a sale price.
    It's not the level of vacancy that I think is the problem. I think they sort of solved that by getting rid of the lower level.

Does anyone know what's happening with Subway?

^Oh weird, wasn't there some kind of exhaust problem for some of the business, including McDonald's?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    They could also be taking a wait-and-see approach with Ice District.
    Which is the equivalent of remaining on the train tracks trying to decide if that light fast approaching is indeed a train. They've had 5 years to get their crap together since the arena and district were announced, and I see no evidence of them doing much of anything other than trying to increase their parking revenue.

Subway has left. Likely poor sales.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Which is the equivalent of remaining on the train tracks trying to decide if that light fast approaching is indeed a train. They've had 5 years to get their crap together since the arena and district were announced, and I see no evidence of them doing much of anything other than trying to increase their parking revenue.
    How do you know if the ice district is going to produce any meaningful business to surrounding properties ? So far bars and some restaurants have received a lift but other businesses are stangnant, others have actually experienced declines in sales. Add to that , OEG is going to do everything in their power to ensure dollars are spent at their buildings. There’s only so many patrons to go around, only so many dollars to be spent. This district isn’t some sort of magical retail mecca that will attract an unlimited amount of disposable income to be showered on surrounding businesses, and these institutional investors have other feduciary duties well & beyond the whims & wishes of a few downtown boosters.

Oxford has spent $60 million of non-recoverable capital in the past few years on the complex and you people are still whining. Seriously, grow up folks, the people with the knowledge and capital know a hell of a lot more than you do about where to invest and where the best returns are. If that isn’t downtown Edmonton, don’t blame the investors.
    Parkdale

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

BUT WE can all give reasons why we don’t shop at City Centre in its current form now. There isn’t much reason for me to spend my $ there now, doing nothing or minimum or the wrong thing will keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    How do you know if the ice district is going to produce any meaningful business to surrounding properties ? So far bars and some restaurants have received a lift but other businesses are stangnant, others have actually experienced declines in sales. Add to that , OEG is going to do everything in their power to ensure dollars are spent at their buildings. There’s only so many patrons to go around, only so many dollars to be spent. This district isn’t some sort of magical retail mecca that will attract an unlimited amount of disposable income to be showered on surrounding businesses, and these institutional investors have other feduciary duties well & beyond the whims & wishes of a few downtown boosters.

Oxford has spent $60 million of non-recoverable capital in the past few years on the complex and you people are still whining. Seriously, grow up folks, the people with the knowledge and capital know a hell of a lot more than you do about where to invest and where the best returns are. If that isn’t downtown Edmonton, don’t blame the investors.
    Well that 60 million is great. I am sure a lot of it went to the additional parking space, which probably is nice but I gather is more for the people who work in the towers, not those that walk there to shop like most people who live in the area and the new food court, which was needed - the old one was sad and I do appreciate it.

Yes, I get you are trying to tell us nicely to be quiet now, the experts know best. However, I will quit "whining" when I see some better stores there. There has been for a number of years a renaissance in downtown Edmonton and I have the feeling those brilliant capitalists in Toronto or wherever are oblivious to it or don't quite get it, regardless of how clever they are with spreadsheets and other things. Being part of a large corporation does not automatically make anyone the smartest person in the room and dismissing constructive criticism is never a good sign of intelligence in a corporation.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT
    How do you know if the ice district is going to produce any meaningful business to surrounding properties ?

Where did I say it will? I don't pretend to know what impact Ice District will have on ECC. What I do know is that if you are in a competitive industry, and your competition gives you the courtesy of half a decade of advance warning that they're coming to eat your lunch or alternatively dumping a bunch of overflow business in your lap, you probably shouldn't sit there and wait to "see how things play out". Which is, as far as I'm concerned, all I've seen from Oxford at ECC. You can throw around the 60 million dollar figure all you want, but the vast majority of that was likely required maintenance and replacement, along with the food court move, which was as motivated by parking revenue as it was anything else.

Maybe they'll shock and surprise me by pulling an ace out from their sleeve, but all I've seen in the past 5 years is a further erosion of any reason for me to shop there personally as the one or two decent stores left, and I live 100 feet from it. Outside of some staples at the Bay, I have basically zero reason as a mid-30's male to shop at ECC for any reason other than picking up some socks and undies every year or two.

Ice District?

^^ Well said, Marcel. I feel the same way.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

What I do know is that if you are in a competitive industry, and your competition gives you the courtesy of half a decade of advance warning that they're coming to eat your lunch or alternatively dumping a bunch of overflow business in your lap, you probably shouldn't sit there and wait to "see how things play out".
    Or they could have realized that to compete with their new neighbour would constitute a heavy investment in a weak market & have done the bare minimum to tread water to free up resources that can get a better return elsewhere & could be used to fund redevelopment in Edmonton if/when Downtown ever becomes a good place for mall-style retail.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Continued Contributor

It could simply be that Oxford sees mall-space as an asset that requires heavy investment of capital in an industry that (outside of the short term current trend) is in decline. Not to mention, downtown residents will utilize the CCM regardless of what it looks like simply due to it's location. So why bother? I kind of get their decision actually.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Or they could have realized that to compete with their new neighbour would constitute a heavy investment in a weak market & have done the bare minimum to tread water to free up resources that can get a better return elsewhere & could be used to fund redevelopment in Edmonton if/when Downtown ever becomes a good place for mall-style retail.
    Not to mention that their new neighbour is the beneficiary of hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer capital as well as support in-kind from the CoE. The market has been manipulated unfavourably against them so it's no wonder they're looking to invest elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

Yeah, Top_Dawg's got to go with 240 Gordie on this one.

Hockey and concert fans are not shopping.

However, predictably they are spending money on food and booze.

Balls deep.

Top_Dawg hates crowds so he avoids the area on event nights.

But the night of the Buffalo game ( if you can call it that ) Top_Dawg agreed to briefly meet with one of his custies at Rose & Crown.

It was a little after five.

Fuqen place was packed.

Don't worry Top_Dawg, I'm sure many of the people you'd rather avoid will migrate to the licenced tapas bar in the Stantec food court once it's open...
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

From the comments here it sounds like people avoid City Center mall for the same reasons I do. The way it is now, it's like walking through the world's biggest convenience store.

For measure, Kingsway mall is minutes away and has all those same stores, but also some destination stores on top of that. Kingsway also has free parking.

Kingsway is way less transit friendly than CCM. The convenience store analogy is apt however.

I Agree with Marcel. As per hockey audience's shopping, we cant change mentalities overnight. As Well, in order for those fans to shop before games, there has to be stores for them to shop folks; so when did some of you seem to have lost the basic of intelligence and commonsense? Can you at least process pros and cons prior to engagement? Dollar stores can only amuse people for so long people. Another factor, in case some of our intelligent members have forgotten, Ice District is half finished. Finally, I have not stepped into that mall in 5 years, so please tell me which are your favorite shopping stores now at the mall?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Long Term Contributor

Our research indicated ~5% of people shop pre/post game whereas 45% eat/drink outside of Rogers pre/post game.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Nine West closed.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Nine West closed.
    Filing for bankruptcy.
    www.decl.org

^^Any numbers for the "Arts District", so long forgotten about? You're telling me the pro free speech hordes protesting the Citadel's Jordan Peterson decision didn't stop to buy a bauble at Winners or a pair of cleats from Atmosphere?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    It could simply be that Oxford sees mall-space as an asset that requires heavy investment of capital in an industry that (outside of the short term current trend) is in decline. Not to mention, downtown residents will utilize the CCM regardless of what it looks like simply due to it's location. So why bother? I kind of get their decision actually.
    Thinking people will simply go there because it is in the area may be a mistake. I think we had someone just recently say they are only 100 m away, but seldom go there because of the mix of stores.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Nine West closed.
    Filing for bankruptcy.
    This is the bigger elephant in the room. We shop on-line. Unless you offer something unique as an experience the days of large malls full of the same stores are numbered.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

^I highly doubt that. Online sales are growing but still account for a very small amount of our retail spending. I think the death of malls is exaggerated, although second tier malls like ECC will need to continue to evolve.
    www.decl.org

Though people may shop before an Oilers game or concert, how many are going to actually buy much of anything? One would have to be prepare to deal with carrying their purchase to and through the event, and stores are closed after a game.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle37089440/

E-commerce is taking over in the United States as the holiday shopping season goes into full swing, and Canada isn't far behind.
    Online shopping sales are set to overtake in-store sales for Christmas gifts for the first time, according to one survey. Deloitte asked U.S consumers how they plan to spend their money during the holidays and found that, on average, 51 per cent of a shopper's gift budget will go toward online purchases.
    A similar poll in Canada by Ebates.com found that the Canadian shoppers are also increasing their e-commerce purchases, with consumers here saying they plan to spend 38 per cent of their gift budgets online this year.
    If retail has already lost almost half of the busiest shopping season that's the death knell for malls. Everyone doesn't have to be shopping online before physical retail can no longer maintain the margins they need. Their options are to find efficiencies (like, say online shopping) or raise prices. And when I can already get something tomorrow from Amazon for less than I can in a store today, raising prices will only increase the migration rate.

It is silly to think people are going to do much shopping before or after a game or concert. It is the residential component of Ice District that will either make or break ECC.

C2E SME

It was never my impression that it was felt that hockey/concert fans would actively be shopping/buying before their event. The idea was that if you revitalize the downtown and people start visiting it more often and realize that many of their fears about parking or whatever else are largely overblown, people in general will be more likely to make their way downtown on separate trips to shop etc. It's been very much a chicken/egg problem in the CBD to encourage an uptick in retail, and the hope is that with the influx of new residents and improved perception of downtown one side of that equation will be taken care of.

Someone nearby needs to offer (and advertise) reasonably priced lockers close and pedway connected not only for shoppers but for anyone going to the game without a conveniently located parked car to stow stuff in.

The mall would be a great place for that.
    Or maybe the city could do that. Storage for miscellaneous personal belongings is just as legitimate a use of street space as storage for personal vehicles.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    From the comments here it sounds like people avoid City Center mall for the same reasons I do. The way it is now, it's like walking through the world's biggest convenience store.

For measure, Kingsway mall is minutes away and has all those same stores, but also some destination stores on top of that. Kingsway also has free parking.
    I think Kingsway is a good comparison. Obviously it is larger, so it has more stores, but there are several there I go to there specifically for. I wouldn't expect City Centre to have all of them, but a few would be good. I am not a fan of the parking at Kingsway, but I find it easier to drive than take transit there. I often walk to City Centre so parking there is not a big issue. If I have to pay a buck or two, I don't mind that too much.

Some of the stores I used to go to in City Centre - GAP - gone, Eddie Bauer's - gone, Grand & Toy - gone. Now, that is not all the fault of the mall, but they weren't replaced by anything I found that appealing. The Source, the Bay and the Food Court are better than before, but not much else in clothing that I like other than the Bay - I think that is where City Centre is weakest. Also, some of the best spots seem to be taken by things that have limited interest to me (ex. Evelyn Charles and that chocolate place). For whatever reason most of the the more popular clothing stores don't seem to have a location in City Centre. I think it would be worth it for them to really try attract some of them. It would bring in more traffic. I can and do go to Kingsway, Southgate or West Ed, but not because they are close, in fact they are farther for me. It is just that City Centre does not have many of the stores I go to.

Off the top of my head CCM, I visit, the Bay, Club Monaco, Coles for online pickups, Shoppers, and maybe Sportchek.

Optimistically, I really hope the added residents downtown can help the mall but realistically, I don't foresee much change. And outside business hours, the mall is pretty much a ghost town. Unless they offer free parking like Calgary's core after 4PM, CCM just won't get the foot traffic regardless of the events happening a block over at Rogers.

The perception of the mall isn't great either. Even Landmark cinemas gets a pass from most people and the general consensus is that they'd rather go across the city to a Cineplex instead. CCM is always overshadowed and an underdog...not unlike how Edmonton ranks within Canada when compared to the other major cities...

IMO, Landmark is quite a bit busier these days than it was in the late '90s/early '00s. Of course, it also should be a lot busier due to the closure of most theatres in central Edmonton over that timeframe. But I do agree with your overall point -- CCM doesn't have a lot going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Our research indicated ~5% of people shop pre/post game whereas 45% eat/drink outside of Rogers pre/post game.
    That metric shouldn't even be tallied yet until there are actual stores for people to POTENTIALLY shop at. How can that even be considered as a ligit survey. As I mentioned early, tell me which store is the go to place right now in that mall? The fair way to assess success or failure is after 10 years commencing from completing of the whole district. Rome was not built overnight nor was its success. Therefor, we, as a collective group, should at least comprehend to this basic logic- no insults intended to anyone.

Any metric can be tallied from real-world results - that's what makes it a legit survey. Real-world - not what might happen, but what is actually happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    That metric shouldn't even be tallied yet until there are actual stores for people to POTENTIALLY shop at. How can that even be considered as a ligit survey. As I mentioned early, tell me which store is the go to place right now in that mall? The fair way to assess success or failure is after 10 years commencing from completing of the whole district. Rome was not built overnight nor was its success. Therefor, we, as a collective group, should at least comprehend to this basic logic- no insults intended to anyone.
    This will also act as a baseline pre-Ice District.
    www.decl.org

I agree with the real world, but that teal world is still in the building process; furthermore, CCM, eroded a lot of that realism; that is the real world right there. The real world is that they're trying to convince more to move downtown, and that is also the real world.

I agree with the real world, but that teal world is still in the building process; furthermore, CCM, eroded a lot of that realism; that is the real world right there. The real world is that they're trying to convince more to move downtown, and that is also the real world.
    Irrelevant. The real-world can be re-sampled at any time in the future to see what it is at that point.

Sure it's relevant. In order for the world to occur, the real world has to exist. In this particular case, how does one shop when there are no stores; therefor, the real world has not existed on this metrics. The last true year that CC mall was actually busy from my recollection was 1991ish. I remember Earls was pact everyday; all The food courts buzzling; there were island booths of eateries along the escalators etc. Then Eaton went under and the death of that mall commenced.

I could be wrong, but even on game nights - the food court gets closed early.

Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but a decade ago I used to enjoy going to ECC.

Alot of the stores got closed down (Eddie Bauer, Mexx, GAP, etc.) and simply weren't replaced or instead got converted to non-retail space (dentists, massage, etc.). Not all of this is Oxford's fault, and many of the retailers closed down - but other malls across the City have been able to absorb the losses far better.

The food court consolidated at higher rates - I would imagine the choices are 50% less, without looking it up. Gone are the independents and left are the chain restaurants.

Density in the core, could in theory help - but you need more distinguishable tenants. Give people reason to come and they'll come. Calgary core offering free parking after 3 PM is a good incentive (and something ECC should be looking at on at least non-event nights).

There's no out of the box thinking here.

There just isn't.

Sure it's relevant. In order for the world to occur, the real world has to exist. In this particular case, how does one shop when there are no stores; therefor, the real world has not existed on this metrics. The last true year that CC mall was actually busy from my recollection was 1991ish. I remember Earls was pact everyday; all The food courts buzzling; there were island booths of eateries along the escalators etc. Then Eaton went under and the death of that mall commenced.
    While we're on this - anyone else recall the mini-golf course?

Was actually way better than the one at WEM.

Not sure why it closed down.

Well said.

When I think of the City Centre Mall I often think of the Eaton Centre back home. It's a mall with the downtown feel. Now I don't know if our city is ready for something like the Eaton Centre. I mean there's people that get paid to determine that but we are definitely changing and changing for the better. If you ask me, I'd say the CCM has potential. I've been there a few times with the wife and we really enjoyed ourselves just walking around. It's something different, right and it's definitely not your traditional mall. I want to see this place rise.

Strangely, when CCM West opened, it was called Eaton Centre.

C2E SME

I think the sad thing is that most shops, including food services are closed long before game time. You would think that some food vendor's would try to catch some extra business on game days.

Lemon Dress will be opening in April, taking up the spot between Papyrus and Club Monaco. (CCW Pedway Level)

According to this article, which was posted in the ID for sale thread (Stantec and Edmonton Tower only): https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle37947128/ - mall is for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    According to this article, which was posted in the ID for sale thread (Stantec and Edmonton Tower only): https://www.theglobeandmail.com/real...ticle37947128/ - mall is for sale.
    Let's see Beljan development buy this thing and open it up to the street.

"The shopping centre up for grabs is Edmonton City Centre and the sale process is being run by CBRE, according to people familiar with the matter. The price tag is not known. The mall is jointly owned by Oxford Properties, the real estate investment unit of the pension fund OMERS, and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. The companies separately said they do not comment on market speculation. CBRE declined to comment.
    If I were a dreamer, a single buyer would buy the Stantec and Edmonton Tower as well as CCM and connect them into one giant mall. Unfortunately, there won't be a pedway from Stantec to the Bay.

A pedway would be a simple solution from the Bay end to Stantec though.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

A pedway would be a simple solution from the Bay end to Stantec though.
    last i looked there was still a parkade in the way of doing that...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

You're thinking inside the box. Whose says one can't bridge over the parkade flushing to the side of the hotel entrance and give an opening or incorporate a new one to the mall. You're looking at an angle of dealing with an obstacle in front of you, whereas, I see going above and down to the mall.

Connecting Stantec to ECC West would help sure but it's not the silver bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Let's see Beljan development buy this thing and open it up to the street.
    Hmm ... not a bad idea, the current owners don't seem able to think outside of the box. I am glad there will be an ownership change, I think the current owners focused mostly on Kingsway at the expense of City Centre. Different ownership might shake things up and try harder to get a better mix of stores. The current mix is a bit stale and sad.

You're thinking inside the box. Whose says one can't bridge over the parkade flushing to the side of the hotel entrance and give an opening or incorporate a new one to the mall. You're looking at an angle of dealing with an obstacle in front of you, whereas, I see going above and down to the mall.
    Really? I’m sure it would look just wonderful and visitors would say “those Edmontonians sure know how to think outside the box”
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

I think something needs to be done about the north entrance at 102 Street. Two parkades and a garbage disposal across from the Ice District are ugly.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Connect everything up and stay open till 1AM. People will flock there after events, and before, on their way to and from102 ave LRT and wherever. Add some licensed eateries and things and it would do better.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-02-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Really? I’m sure it would look just wonderful and visitors would say “those Edmontonians sure know how to think outside the box”
    You can go to other cities that are more built up or where land is more expensive and sometimes you see different structures that were created in response to problems such as this - some are actually quite nice, others just more functional. We have been quite lazy here at times - we haven't had to be creative, so we have make bland cheap barely functional pablum. Now, when visitors come, they don't say that is wonderful. If it is not connected, they are more likely to say that is foolish. If it is, they are likely to just see it as part of the landscape - how impressive or functional it is, well that is up to us.

We do not need to build everything to impress visitors, but if we build everything to inconvenience pedestrians, just because that is cheapest and easiest that will not impress anyone and we do that too much already.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post

It's a two block walk for me to either CCM or Bay LRT.

From Bay LRT it's minutes to Southgate.

Care to guess what choice I make?
    ... gobsmacked

*****, I'll do you one better: I work​ in City Centre Mall and I don't do any shopping there.

If it is for sale that's gotta be a good thing. Maybe someone else can do a lot better with it.

Yup. In this instance, block the side that faces the actual parkade and turn that one side into a long stretch of electronic billboard- floor to ceiling which also incorporate changing pleasant imageries etc. Ensure the exterior components and flare are done nice; and, any side facing the street has windows. Not hard and why ugly? Are we incapable of something this easy?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

A new owner can’t be any worse than the current one, can it? I mean, people don’t buy a mall to completely toss money away.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 15-02-2018 at 12:03 AM.

I honestly don't care who the owner is. Just turn the space into useful purposes. There is no sense of competing with Kingsway. Their spaces need to entice businesses that can attract a large load factor but cater to needs for downtown. With BMO, Encore, Legend, and Sky coming on board; with more to come, the owner need to utilize this mass as a starting point.

I honestly don't care who the owner is. Just turn the space into useful purposes. There is no sense of competing with Kingsway. Their spaces need to entice businesses that can attract a large load factor but cater to needs for downtown. With BMO, Encore, Legend, and Sky coming on board; with more to come, the owner need to utilize this mass as a starting point.
    Agreed. I lived in Calgary for three years and was always quite impressed with the CORE shopping centre. That is what I wish CCM would strive to be more like. Bring in more upscale options to appeal to the growing downtown/urban crowd, and put in some interesting gathering spaces and features like the interior gardens and huge glass skylight at CORE.

CORE is a great mall, but with a downtown business population 3x ours.

ECC should have been externalized to some extent a long time ago - more boutique small CRUs and restaurant CRUs. Complicated issues when Oxford owns two malls so close together and one just lost 30% of it's revenue. Plus retailers keep going bankrupt nationally and internationally.

It'll take some time to sort out. Clothing specifically, I do get some stuff from the Downtown Bay and Club Monaco, but do most of my shopping elsewhere for the time-being. I sent an email to The Bay explaining my frustration.
    www.decl.org

CORE is a great mall, but with a downtown business population 3x ours.

ECC should have been externalized to some extent a long time ago - more boutique small CRUs and restaurant CRUs. Complicated issues when Oxford owns two malls so close together and one just lost 30% of it's revenue. Plus retailers keep going bankrupt nationally and internationally.

It'll take some time to sort out. Clothing specifically, I do get some stuff from the Downtown Bay and Club Monaco, but do most of my shopping elsewhere for the time-being. I sent an email to The Bay explaining my frustration.
    Yes, I get that Vancouver and Calgary have larger downtown populations, but my point has always been that City Centre needs to improve. I have never said it should be exactly the same as Vancouver or Calgary. The better comparison is to what it was 5 or 10 years ago, when the downtown population was actually smaller, the mall was better. This tells me population is not the real problem here, it is something else.

I think City Centre is about half a dozen stores away from being actually being a fairly decent mall. I think the renovations rather than improving it, furthered the slide into mediocrity. They took a bunch of stores out of the basement (that really belonged there - no offense they might have been solid niche stores, but none were stars) and then filled up some of the best prime spaces in the mall with them. It worked to fill in the gaps and get more money, but with ZERO improvement to the mix of stores, which I think is still the real unresolved problem.

I hope the new owner will take improving this more seriously than the current one did. I am not expecting the world here - I don't expect a totally upscale mall, just one that people that work there, live and work nearby might actually go to more often instead of having to go to Southgate or Kingsway. It is possible and I don't think this is expecting too much. It was a better mall years ago and it can be again, especially as the downtown population continues to grow.

City Centre is all about the cellular service: WYND, Fido, Telus, Rogers and Koodos. That huge area of nothing right outside of Shoppers (main floor) is an eye sore.

They just need more variety. I don't care if it's highend/upscale or what not. Just some place I would go on a semi-regular basis would be nice (i.e. La Senza which moved out).

I still remember when they were pushing this mall as some kind of centre of sophisticated city living. Funny to see how it's turned out now- just gritty and "convenience store"-ish, as others have said. I used to actually like coming here when I moved to Edmonton 15 years ago, but now I almost never come. There's actually better stores in the downtown area OUTSIDE the mall, defeating the purpose of actually going there.

And I doubt the arena is helping much. The mall is usually closed by the time any game gets going, and sports fans are just going to go home or to the bar/restaurant.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    I still remember when they were pushing this mall as some kind of centre of sophisticated city living. Funny to see how it's turned out now- just gritty and "convenience store"-ish, as others have said. I used to actually like coming here when I moved to Edmonton 15 years ago, but now I almost never come. There's actually better stores in the downtown area OUTSIDE the mall, defeating the purpose of actually going there.

And I doubt the arena is helping much. The mall is usually closed by the time any game gets going, and sports fans are just going to go home or to the bar/restaurant.
    on the other hand, keeping the mall open might provide more entertainment value than most of the games this season...

all joking aside, there's probably not much after-hours shopping but landmark cinema is open in the evenings as is cocoa's at the delta and fionn maccool's (who do a great shepherd's pie) on the same level.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^Cocoa's is supposed to get reno'd still too.
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

You need to look at Portage Place in downtown Winnipeg. Trust me, ECC is luxurious in comparison!

Curated. Market opening permenant location in ECC. Opens Feb. 22:

https://twitter.com/bycurated_/statu...94626649604101

Looks good!

Love the new look and feel there, especially the widened hallway.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I wonder what will go at the old ATB.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^ was it not supposed to be an H&M?

Also the lack of "ATB blue" in those photos is interesting...

I was told the work Raymond Biesinger did for the mural background behind the counter will be used extensively throughout other branches as well. Looks like this is the new corporate 'look'
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ^ was it not supposed to be an H&M?

Also the lack of "ATB blue" in those photos is interesting...
    Was.
    www.decl.org

What happened?

They expanded Kingsway. Wish I could say more.

Wah wah wah...
    www.decl.org

Delta lobby demolition has started.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

Demolition? Is it being renovated?

Demo for the reno.
    www.decl.org

The entire hotel is being renovated, with the rooms now complete I am told.
    www.decl.org

They need to move or renovate the entrance area - that drive up between the two parking lots is the worst. Has there been talk about doing something there?

The new Shoppers Drug Mart is opening on April 12

https://twitter.com/DECLorg/status/982710880222658560

New, expanded @ShopprsDrugMart in @ECCMALL looks days from opening.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^^There are (were?) plans to spruce up the entrance & valet zone. The renders bounced around a couple years ago but I can’t seem to find them. I haven’t heard anything about the streetscape or parking lots.

Konz opened today in the food court.

Got a free cone from them since their credit/debit system wasn't working and they couldn't take my payment.

Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    Konz opened today in the food court.

Got a free cone from them since their credit/debit system wasn't working and they couldn't take my payment.
    This sounds really unappetizing. How was it?

It tasted fairly average. Just about what you'd expect for a calzone or giant pizza pocket. The shape does make it really easy to hold with one hand and it's neatly wrapped so there's no spillage of ingredients as you eat it.

I was told the work Raymond Biesinger did for the mural background behind the counter will be used extensively throughout other branches as well. Looks like this is the new corporate 'look'
    haha, the guy who did all those bizarre comics for the Gateway at the UofA back in the early 2000s? Those comics were WEIRD. All people looking like floating embryos and stuff.

^I only remember Mike Winter's comic. Those were genius.
    www.decl.org

Mike Winters is still going strong, and publishing in Vue Weekly and online (though he's been on a bit of a break for the past couple of months): https://cartoon-machine.com/

Biesinger's had a really prolific career, too: http://fifteen.ca/About-Contact

Winters's stuff was the BEST. His "Campus Crime Beat" column was hilarious. It was just the "Crime Beat" column, but illustrated, so you could see his goofy-faced people mimicking the homeless population that took refuge at the University in the evenings .

CCB was amazing, but did anything touch this?

https://images.encyclopediadramatica...-Colostomy.gif
    www.decl.org

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast