Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: City Centre Mall | Renovation | Under Construction

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ Would leasing (for lease) signs be necessary? I doubt that the sorts of businesses who would set up in a mall would be doing foot tours to discover what spaces are available. Most likely they use realtors who have their own sources.

A lot of For Lease signs plastered about would give the shoppers the impression that the mall is being abandoned. Which may be the case, but no need to advertise the fact.

Eve

C2E Posting Power

Perhaps they are already leased

They used to have for lease and other identifiers... they have been removed....

There is something a foot.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ^The Bay downtown does a lot better than Londonderry though. I don't see the comparison.
    Of the 6 HBC stores in the city Londonderry is the weakest. probably due to the fact that Londonderry has slipped way behind Kingsway and downtown.

Downtown has far more potential because of increasing amounts of office workers, residents and upcoming attractions as RAM and the Arena also the increased amount of pubs, restaurants, independent businesses add to the mix.

But both Londonderry and ECC seem to be pretty lame in scooping up new tenants in spaces in both malls.

Since ECC has had that vacant former GAP space on such a prime location with a solid traffic flow past the space since last summer speaks volumes to me. Oxford is not pushing it nearly as hard as Kingsway which they also own.

Londonderry let itself slip and Kingsway overtook it but in someways Kingsway has also overtaken ECC. Which is very odd for a downtown mall.

^ I really don't think Oxford wants to fill the gap at this time... That is the "volumes" that it speaks to me.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ I really don't think Oxford wants to fill the gap at this time... That is the "volumes" that it speaks to me.
    Perhaps they are getting a good profit margin from leasing to the dust bunnies in the vacant spaces....

C2E SME

That must mean something because if a space has been empty they have always had signs up indicating those spaces are for lease. Something must be in the works.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    That must mean something because if a space has been empty they have always had signs up indicating those spaces are for lease. Something must be in the works.

Obviously the dust bunnies are keeping up on the rent....

I think they have bigger plans for that space, or to the right tenant. They've been 'choosy' in the past with ECC, and I'm ok if it takes a bit longer to get the right mix.
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I desperately want to know what they have planned for City Centre. The potential for the mall with the new arena and entertainment district is incredible. I just hope they take advantage of it and do it right.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Interesting footnote:
    Yorkdale is co-owned by Oxford and AIMco
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Interesting. Smaller market here, but would love ECC to be something like this.
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

^Every city in North America would love a Yorkdale. I would suggest looking at a case study for a more mid-tier mall, if you're looking for a model for ECC to strive for (at least in the near term). Of course, I'm sure there are some elements from Yorkdale that can be applied here. But asking tenants for a full re-model at the end of each lease (or get booted out of their space) probably isn't one of them.

When ECC sales gets up to $1000/sqft I'm sure Oxford will consider duplicating the investment they're making in Yorkdale. Until then....

For a comparison, Southgate is $800
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

All the new excitement about downtown could really change ECC as a destination for shopping. This entertainment district could do wonders for the mall. This is an exciting opportunity. Someone said they had heard some rumors... But didn't elaborate. Please share.

I said it.. it's just rumblings from people in the industry.. people hiring project managers and high level agreements.

there isn't to much to tell e town...

A) we need the arena to be fully finalized.

I had two tenants in the mall they "heard" that they might move the ECC East food court to the West side.

That would mean nobody would even come to the other side to me. What would happen to the businesses there?

So many different rumors.

^ Maybe that's based on the OP here.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Overheard yesterday from an employee of the mall, that indeed the ECCE food court will be shut down within two years and ECCW will be expanded to pretty much the entire basement level (Dollar Store will move). Leases are not being extended which is why Orange Julius left.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Overheard yesterday from an employee of the mall, that indeed the ECCE food court will be shut down within two years and ECCW will be expanded to pretty much the entire basement level (Dollar Store will move). Leases are not being extended which is why Orange Julius left.

Orange Julius left because they aren't making any money at all as I don't see many people going there , most went straight to Mcdonald's or if people wants smoothie, they usually goes to Booster Juice.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post

Orange Julius left because they aren't making any money at all as I don't see many people going there , most went straight to Mcdonald's or if people wants smoothie, they usually goes to Booster Juice.
    There would still be lots of people going to Orange Julius I don't doubt if they were still there. As for the possibility of a large food court I wonder too if they plan on trying to have a pedway link to the arena district.

I guess we just have to wait and #seewhatdevelops on May 29
    http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23seewhatdevelops

C2E SME

It will be interesting what City Centre Mall will be doing if the Arena District goes ahead.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

why not make pedway to arena district from CCW instead of CCE ?? it is much cheaper to do it in CCW than CCE.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post

There would still be lots of people going to Orange Julius I don't doubt if they were still there. As for the possibility of a large food court I wonder too if they plan on trying to have a pedway link to the arena district.
    OJ left because he wasn't making enough and Oxford told him his rent is going up over $5000. He said screw it and left. I know who he is.

There is one tenant that has a long lease in that food court right now from what I know.
    Last edited by Terwillegar_Guy; 21-05-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

On related note Val Bergs s closing and consolidating at a larger Lendrum store. The reason, rent being jacked up because of an arena that as yet to be any certainty.

Gap space has been closed for almost 3 years now.

Heard one of the other clothing stores is closing too. Not sure which one.

C2E SME

Well the one thing I do know for with the City Centre mall is that they were wanting to increase the rent according to some store owners I had talked to. Only problem with doing that is if the traffic to support the rent increase isn't there yet all they are doing is pricing tenants out of the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I guess we just have to wait and #seewhatdevelops on May 29
    http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23seewhatdevelops
    They've been spamming the #YEG twitter feed with this for the past few days. This damn well better be good, and not something minor like promoting some photography shop opening up.

^ their twitter feed is HORRID.... it sounds like some teenage girl is running it... there isn't even anything about the mall.. they have had fashion shows.. they could tweet about CBC center Stage... Winners Renos..

GRRRRRRR

I used to think the same thing of a certain community league feed but I unsubscribed

You think Twitter is a flash in the pan anyways..

But thanks for the useless post Medwards keep trolling.

The tea place in ECCW on the 2nd floor near the pedway is now closed.

^ and none of these empty spaces are advertising for lease.

They even took down the for lease sign on the old 4 rooms.

Something is a foot.

The Jewelry store across from the camera place is closing...

Oxford people were in the sushi place talking about something and pointing at the ceiling.

C2E SME

Well with more and more closing it had better be a big announcement.

I seen lots of suits in ECC East today. Looking around, etc.

That Tea place was a temp site. I met the owner before he opened.

Are you sure it's closing? I saw signs saying everything must be sold by the end of the month but nothing explicitly saying anything about closing, unless I'm going blind (and not in a good way)

A new store has opened in ECC...shocking!

http://twitter.com/#!/KEYLIMEclothing

Join us for our @eccmall Grand Opening June7th! 6:00pm to 9:00pm, fashion shows, specials and snacks!
    http://www.keylimecanada.com/

And what an original name for a yogawear shop!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Are you sure it's closing? I saw signs saying everything must be sold by the end of the month but nothing explicitly saying anything about closing, unless I'm going blind (and not in a good way)
    So when I get back from europe at the end of june i'm guessing ECC will be empty or totally redone right? considering the rate they seem to be vacating spaces in there?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    It will be interesting what City Centre Mall will be doing if the Arena District goes ahead.
    Yup.
    www.decl.org

I know at the beginning of the thread, I called BS on the underground pedway to the arena district. Now? I'm not so sure.

Cannot see it.... way too much money for that.
    www.decl.org

i will try to dig up some information. I have a few people, including my best friend, who is a tenant in the mall.

I have meaning to be simply call oxford... We are a tenant in the towers. They are pretty open about what is going on.

I just wish the security would do something about the losers who buy 1 coffee and sit in the food court all day and go to the bathroom and leave their beer cans around.

This is the email response I received after asking about the status of the mall and the recent vacancies:

Thank you [etownboarder] for you taking the time to prepare your email. We also would like to thank you for your continued patronage to City Centre Mall!
    I would like to report that there is not a trend but a Revitalization plan in our future, which we are really looking forward to.
    With the Downtown Revitalization plans the City is undergoing, we too are also a big part of the Downtown plan. Since we are located in the heart of our City, we are creating plans of our own to match those of the City's over time.
    We are also being selective on who needs to be in our Centre as well as the choices we make for tenancies. Our research demographics are asking us for certain brands and retail choices that we need to attract. Most new tenants take apporximatly 1-2 years to open from start to finish with numerous meetings/discussions. We have several new tenants in the horizon and are looking forward to completing all the changes over the next year or two!
    We are very excited about the future and we appreciate your email. I hope this addressed some of your concerns and that we are here to stay and grow.
    Thank you!

^ In light of the above, I wonder if they will be trying to get rid of Dollarama. I would be sad to see that place go. Everyone shops there from people on their uppers right through to ladies with their couture suits. I myself rely on them for certain things like the very best skirt hangers I have encountered at any price. (I have to either restock or stop buying skirts.) I also like them for a particular type of stacking basket that I buy by the dozen. I may be middle class but I like getting a deal on things when the absolute quality doesn't matter.

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    This is the email response I received after asking about the status of the mall and the recent vacancies:

Thank you [etownboarder] for you taking the time to prepare your email. We also would like to thank you for your continued patronage to City Centre Mall!
    I would like to report that there is not a trend but a Revitalization plan in our future, which we are really looking forward to.
    With the Downtown Revitalization plans the City is undergoing, we too are also a big part of the Downtown plan. Since we are located in the heart of our City, we are creating plans of our own to match those of the City's over time.
    We are also being selective on who needs to be in our Centre as well as the choices we make for tenancies. Our research demographics are asking us for certain brands and retail choices that we need to attract. Most new tenants take apporximatly 1-2 years to open from start to finish with numerous meetings/discussions. We have several new tenants in the horizon and are looking forward to completing all the changes over the next year or two!
    We are very excited about the future and we appreciate your email. I hope this addressed some of your concerns and that we are here to stay and grow.
    Thank you!

you see there is no mention about food court to become LRT area.

so there is no need to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    ^ In light of the above, I wonder if they will be trying to get rid of Dollarama. I would be sad to see that place go. Everyone shops there from people on their uppers right through to ladies with their couture suits. I myself rely on them for certain things like the very best skirt hangers I have encountered at any price. (I have to either restock or stop buying skirts.) I also like them for a particular type of stacking basket that I buy by the dozen. I may be middle class but I like getting a deal on things when the absolute quality doesn't matter.

Eve
    No they wouldn't get rid of it... Dollarrama is a staple in every major mall, they are clean, well run and huge draws.

No they wouldn't get rid of it... Dollarrama is a staple in every major mall, they are clean, well run and huge draws.
    Maybe move to a different location though.

I dunno the basement is cheap and hard to fill and they have a huge space... If we are lucky they will kill the the basement shoppers.

That basement Shoppers is hilarious. 30 people in line. 2 cashiers or 1 sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Maybe move to a different location though.
    Yes.
    www.decl.org

There is work going on today in the former GAP space. May be nothing...
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

With the rents going nowhere but up and up, I'm not going to be surprised if one of the Shoppers close.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    There is work going on today in the former GAP space. May be nothing...
    I noticed that too. It's been entirely walled off now for construction. It may be something, I hope!

Also:
    - My mistake, the Tea Desire place didn't close, they moved into a smaller space on the 2nd floor of ECCW. I think their new space was the shoe store that closed recently. But you'd think they would have posted a sign saying they moved.
    - A white box with two curtain entrances has been erected @ bottom floor of ECCE near the elevator. Probably has something to do with this #seewhatdevelops thing.

Meh, guess #seewhatdevelops is some fashion thing. False hopes, folks, sorry...

DressMeDearly ‏@DressMeDearly
    Another @ECCMall event on May 29 in collaboration with Dress Me Dearly...#seewhatdevelops #yegfashion

New banners at ECC

Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 26-05-2012 at 06:15 PM.

so those are big 'Polaroid' images, and they will soon develop... hopefully develop means development too

^ As I said, I'm hoping it's a major redevelopment initiative, but I won't be surprised if it's just some new marketing initiative or a fashion show.

looks pretty fashion-based from what has developed so far

It could be an announcement for a new clothing retailer in the old gap store.

http://ow.ly/i/ELEj

World's Largest photo booth?!

This damn well better be worth all the twitter spamming or it will backfire on ECC horribly.

As I stated before the person running their twitter is... interesting.

Today she started to personally twitter about how she had a cold under the CC Mall account.

I have found little to no useful info on that feed.

There were some young people handing out pamphlets (or something) of the photo booth, but they were extremely random about it, or just failing at it. They seemed to spend more time just wandering around aimlessly instead of picking a spot and handing the things out.

Is anyone going to check out what's happening at noon today? I'd go but I have an appointment I can't get out of.

There is a giant stage set up right now. It is a fashion show. I seen all of the models walk into a side way here and start changing

They have just unleashed a new website:
    http://www.edmontoncitycentre.com/home.index.1.html

They have just unleashed a new website:
    http://www.edmontoncitycentre.com/home.index.1.html
    I may submit that front image to Photoshop Disasters... they could have tried to airbrush a shadow underneath her. A little one.

Photoshop disaster, certainly. First thing I noticed was the misspell of develops (developes). That's pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Photoshop disaster, certainly. First thing I noticed was the misspell of develops (developes). That's pretty sad.
    LOL I missed that!!! Jeez.

It's developed by a Toronto company too; Atomic North.

Develops is not incorrect. o wait sorry i miss read the post... I follow.

I called them about it...

Looks like maybe 20 people are watching this show. There is also a very weird short asian guy wearing a hideous Calgary Flames jersey creeping out the models where they go up the stairs to the runway lol

So that's it? Just a fashion show, some contest involving the photo booth, and a half-assed website relaunch? Hardly worth the @ECCMall #seewhatdevelops twitter spamming, was it? Wake me up when they've got something really exciting to share, such as a revitalization plan to fill the empty spaces with decent tenants and reverse its downward spiral to becoming a 3rd-tier shopping centre like Capilano Mall.

^ wow such hate.....

Lets be honest for women EDCC is pretty good....Nine West, BCBG, Melanie Lane.

With the arena being it's new neighbor we hardly have to worry about it becoming a third tier mall.

Keep in mind this is suppose to just be the beginning.... keep an eye out for more.
    www.decl.org

^ wow such hate.....

Lets be honest for women EDCC is pretty good....Nine West, BCBG, Melanie Lane.

With the arena being it's new neighbor we hardly have to worry about it becoming a third tier mall.
    You'll have to pardon me for questioning the (mis)management of a mall that, theoretically, should be one of our top shopping destinations.

And yet right now ECC is full of prominent empty spaces, is filling them with health clinics and bargain bins instead of top-notch retailers, and is jacking up rent to drive out more of them (e.g. Val Bergs).

Cutesy twitter campaigns and fashion shows are not the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Keep in mind this is suppose to just be the beginning.... keep an eye out for more.
    I hope you are right, my friend...I hope you are right.

Default Edmonton City Centre mall reaches out to younger shoppers

Edmonton City Centre mall reaches out to younger shoppers
    BY BILL MAH, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM MAY 29, 2012 3:02 PM

EDMONTON - Krystal Peterson was one of dozens of people who got her Polaroid taken at Edmonton City Centre Tuesday in what was billed at the world’s largest photo booth.

The event raised money for local youth charity iHuman, but for the downtown mall, it was also an fun and unusual way to engage with lunch-hour visitors, many of whom — like Peterson — are at City Centre for reasons other than shopping.

“I actually don’t often shop here. I’m just coming to lunch with my aunt,” Peterson said. But she said she would “probably” return with shopping in mind.

After surveying 1,000 people last spring, Edmonton City Centre has rebranded itself as a hip, urban shopping destination, said Greg Burns, marketing director for the mall, which is owned by Oxford Properties.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...082/story.html

Burns said the mall’s tenant mix is also being designed to appeal to an urban demographic. Sherwood Park-based Key Lime Athletic Wear recently opened a clothing store and yoga studio on the main level of City Centre East.

“We see what goes on downtown. We see certain yoga studios fill up at lunch hour, so we talked to the Sherwood Park owner of Key Lime and said come on downtown,” Burns said.

Meanwhile, the former Gap location in City Centre West will be taken up by an expanded Urban, Le Chateau and a third fashion store.
    Last edited by IanO; 29-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.

^hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    www.decl.org

'Meanwhile, the former Gap location in City Centre West will be taken up by an expanded Urban, Le Chateau and a third fashion store.'

better than empty i guess
    www.decl.org

Obviously that means Le Chateau is moving from East main?

Hey, maybe that means space on the East side is opening up for something else?

OK, where do the non-hip and non-young people get to shop? All I have to recommend me is a steady income.

Eve

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...pens-downtown/

If you love Key-Lime Athletic Wear but don’t love the drive to Sherwood Park, you’ll be thrilled to hear the popular shop has opened a second location in City Centre downtown.

Owner Kristi Wozniak says the new store opened last week, on the main level of City Centre East across from Winners. It carries all the same, great brands of women’s and girl’s athletic wear as the original store, including Key-Lime’s own, Canadian-made line of clothing, which includes bamboo wear and sizes up to XXL.

“It was just a great opportunity,” says Wozniak. “The market downtown is huge.”

She has divided the large retail space in half: one side sells clothing; the other, which will open in about two weeks, will be a studio for yoga and zumba classes.

Watch for the store’s official grand opening, including a fashion show, on June 7.
    A yoga studio too? Interesting.

More on the former GAP space:

Edmonton City Centre ‏@ECCMALL
    @codetechnology @monolithdigital We'll be welcoming a new @LeChateauStyle concept in part of that space. & just down from that, J Michaels.

Interesting that new stores open without any actual redevelopment plans for the centre announced?

Looks peoples Jewelers shut down

Yep, EDP was right. I wonder if they're moving elsewhere in the mall?

C2E SME

I wonder if City Centre is changing its mix of retailers. They don't need two Shoppers Drug Marts, and I think they have a second jewelry store in the west side of ECC
    West.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Well I know I would like to see at least one of the Shoppers Drug Marts closed and either bring in another large retailer or subdivide the space and add some unique businesses.

Yep, EDP was right. I wonder if they're moving elsewhere in the mall?
    nope.

Well I know I would like to see at least one of the Shoppers Drug Marts closed and either bring in another large retailer or subdivide the space and add some unique businesses.
    The one in the basement has to go....

C2E SME

The one in the basement has to go....
    I agree.

Another thing they can improve at City Centre Mall is its cleanliness.

Had lunch at a table on main floor west by Jugo Juice. Another table sat empty because it was covered by spilled juice and a half-eaten sandwich. Old Chinese man with cleaning cart went by twice, didn't bother cleaning up that table.

Those tables are likely the responsibility of Jungo Juice.

Regardless CC mall is always VERY VERY VERY clean.

Regardless wether or not who is "responsible" ie ECC or Jugo Juice they both should clean them regardless. Since Jugo Juice is a tenant and responsible and Oxford is the landlord and responsible to general duties in both upkeep and cleanliness in regards to the tenants.

To me it sounds like the cleaning guy was either indifferent or lazy and needs a chat by his employer, be it either Oxford or a private company with a contract.

It projects negative issues to the customers of ECC with uncleaned tables regardless.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast