Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
Results 3,501 to 3,534 of 3534

Thread: Air Service Development, Routes, and carrier conversations

Yes, YEG is very much a regional airport these days. A glance at their flight board is indicative of such. In comparison, YYC offers a strong breadth of USA direct flights and has been building out their international direct ( Frankfurt, London, Mexico City, Tokyo, Beijing, etc.) with success. What I don't get is why Edmonton metro with only a couple hundred thousand less people than Calgary metro is so subservient to them and is relegated to a feeder airport for Calgary for pretty much everything, including to places in Western Canada. If anything Edmonton should be a focus city in its own right and act as a conduit for Northern Alberta to a broader array of destinations direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    do not be concerned about YYC - they will be fine. It’s YEG that’s in trouble.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I agree with your comments. The only correction I would add is that the Calgary metro area is only about 80K larger than Edmonton. That is what frustrates me the most about the airport situation. We are basically the same size.

I'd rather C2E than work!

2016 Census Metropolitan Areas. Calgary 1,392,000 and Edmonton 1,321,000. It's that close.

C2E SME

Edmonton really needs to get cracking as a region. Sure, we have over 1.3 million people, but we have more work to do to work as a region.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

Pretty tough for YEG to recover as both major national airlines have their hub and feeder business models firmly entrenched and international carriers are just reinforng that model by their route decisions.

Default YEG-SFO direct

Looks like Air Canada tossed us a bone...I think this would be there 1 and only transborder direct from Edmonton.

Air Canada Expands its North American Network with New Transborder Routes starting Spring 2018

NEWS PROVIDED BY
    Air Canada 07:00 ET
    SHARE THIS ARTICLE

• Toronto to Omaha and Providence
    • Montreal to Baltimore and Pittsburgh
    • Vancouver to Sacramento
    • Edmonton to San Francisco

MONTREAL, Nov. 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ - Air Canada today announced several new non-stop year-round transborder routes will begin Spring 2018 from Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver. All new flights are now available for purchase.

"We continue to strategically expand our already extensive North American transborder network to offer the only services from Canada to Sacramento, Omaha, Providence, and flights from additional Canadian airports to Baltimore, Pittsburgh and San Francisco," said Benjamin Smith, President, Passenger Airlines at Air Canada. "As the largest foreign carrier serving the USA, we are pleased to offer customers even more non-stop travel choices between Canada and the US, as well as the ability to conveniently connect onward through our extensive global network at our Canadian hubs on North America's Best Airline as rated by Skytrax."
    All flights are timed to connect conveniently with Air Canada's global schedule, and provide for Aeroplan accumulation and redemption, Star Alliance reciprocal benefits, and for eligible customers, priority check-in, Maple Leaf Lounge access at mainline Canadian airports, priority boarding and other benefits.
    Vancouver-Sacramento Daily May 17, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 76
    seat CRJ-705/900
    Edmonton-San Francisco Daily May 1, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 76
    seat CRJ-705/900
    Toronto-Omaha Daily May 1, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ
    Toronto-Providence Daily May 17, 2018 Summer seasonal Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ
    Montreal-Baltimore Daily May 17, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ
    Montreal-Pittsburgh Daily May 17, 2018 Year-round Air Canada Express 50-
    seat CRJ

Today's new routes complement Air Canada's previously announced new non-stop international services beginning 2018: Vancouver-Paris; Vancouver-Zurich; Vancouver-Melbourne, originally planned as winter seasonal now operating year-round starting June; Toronto-Shannon, Toronto-Zagreb; Toronto-Porto; Toronto-Bucharest; Toronto-Buenos Aires; Montreal-Tokyo-Narita; Montreal-Dublin; Montreal-Bucharest; and Montreal-Lisbon.
    About Air Canada
    Air Canada is Canada's largest domestic and international airline serving more than 200 airports on six continents. Canada's flag carrier is among the 20 largest airlines in the world and in 2016 served close to 45 million customers. Air Canada provides scheduled passenger service directly to 64 airports in Canada, 60 in the United States and 98 in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and South America. Air Canada is a founding member of Star Alliance, the world's most comprehensive air transportation network serving 1,300 airports in 191 countries. Air Canada is the only international network carrier in North America to receive a Four-Star ranking according to independent U.K. research firm Skytrax, which also named Air Canada the 2017 Best Airline in North America. For more information, please visit: www.aircanada.com, follow @AirCanada on Twitter and join Air Canada on Facebook.

SOURCE Air Canada
    Related Links

www.aircanada.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    Pretty tough for YEG to recover as both major national airlines have their hub and feeder business models firmly entrenched and international carriers are just reinforng that model by their route decisions.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Edmonton-San Francisco
    Daily
    May 1, 2018
    Year-round
    Air Canada Express 76
    seat CRJ-705/900
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I agree with your comments. The only correction I would add is that the Calgary metro area is only about 80K larger than Edmonton. That is what frustrates me the most about the airport situation. We are basically the same size.
    What frustrates me is every one who connects anywhere ex-YYC when they start in YEG.

Very interesting about SFO with AC. For some reason in my head i had thought if AC was to rejoin the trans-border market from YEG it would have operated Chicago or LAX to start. SFO is great option as well and a route we didn't have at the moment.

16:10 Departure YEG-SFO Arrive 18:10
    11:50 Departure SFO-YEG Arrive 15:35

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    The timing is pretty lousy for anyone looking to connect on either side.

We'll take it, I guess.

Excited for this. Haven't been to SFO but great option to US, Central America or Asia.
    www.decl.org

Damn, this would've be handy earlier this year when I went to SFO. Had to go through SeaTac and Portland on the way down. Seatac only on the way back up.

3 hours with this new flight, over 5+ going through seatac, and that's if you can minimize the time between connections.

Sweet. Love SFO - great BART service to the bay area - and (this is sweet) express bus service from the airport to Napa.
    ... gobsmacked

Yes threw us a bone. Nice of AC to do that.

It's no Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free card for sure, but SFO is a big hub for trans-Pacific flights, so will add some choice and therefore competitive fire to that market.
    ... gobsmacked

Also connect us to Silicon Valley.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

It's not as simple as comparing metro populations though. What makes money for the airlines is when passengers are willing to pay for first-class or business-class fares, and also when they are willing to pay more for a seat because they are buying it at the last minute. All of those scenarios happen more frequently with business travel than leisure travel. Given the number of head offices and national offices located in Calgary, I think it's safe to say that the airlines generate a lot more profit margin from the average Calgarian flier than they do from the average Edmontonian. So the Calgary market gets catered to.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Interesting from Air Canada and in my view indication of a new strategy at EIA courtesy former YHZ CEO Tom Ruth.

Less aggressive route incentives for foreign carriers (evidenced by no Interjet MEX flight among others), with the aim of boosting yields on AC/WS and encouraging AC/WS to add routes slowly and surely.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the strategy Ruth used at Halifax considering Halifax's relatively significant AC network. We will see if this leads anywhere here at YEG.
    Last edited by AAAAE; 29-11-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Would be a positive if Tom Ruth can formulate some sort of relationship with WS and AC . It remains to be seen if this comes to pass and we get actual results.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    It's not as simple as comparing metro populations though. What makes money for the airlines is when passengers are willing to pay for first-class or business-class fares, and also when they are willing to pay more for a seat because they are buying it at the last minute. All of those scenarios happen more frequently with business travel than leisure travel. Given the number of head offices and national offices located in Calgary, I think it's safe to say that the airlines generate a lot more profit margin from the average Calgarian flier than they do from the average Edmontonian. So the Calgary market gets catered to.
    The facts of the latest Census show the difference in Calgary and Edmonton jobs by industry. And the professional and engineering jobs numbers of Calgary over Edmonton are not large enough to warrant the spread in business seats that you are suggesting. Edmonton has strengths as well. Calgary is strong because PWA were moved there and out of all the ashes we see WestJet emerge at YYC with its major HUB. Another airline could be established at YEG and grow and disrupt the market and build a significant major HUB at YEG. It’s about investment and perhaps some passion.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...our-and-travel

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    The facts of the latest Census show the difference in Calgary and Edmonton jobs by industry. And the professional and engineering jobs numbers of Calgary over Edmonton are not large enough to warrant the spread in business seats that you are suggesting. Edmonton has strengths as well. Calgary is strong because PWA were moved there and out of all the ashes we see WestJet emerge at YYC with its major HUB. Another airline could be established at YEG and grow and disrupt the market and build a significant major HUB at YEG. It’s about investment and perhaps some passion.

PWA moving was a tragedy that was inflicted on Edmonton by Peter Lougheed using government funds to move it while the Edmonton business community did nothing - much the same as many members of the business community complain all the time but still connect ex-YYC .....

PWA moving was a tragedy that was inflicted on Edmonton by Peter Lougheed using government funds to move it while the Edmonton business community did nothing - much the same as many members of the business community complain all the time but still connect ex-YYC .....
    I was told, back in the day, that when PWA management was asked- responded that a city with one versus two airports made fopr a better headquarters.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    I was told, back in the day, that when PWA management was asked- responded that a city with one versus two airports made fopr a better headquarters.
    This problem obviously goes a long ways back. I have a feeling Lougheed was looking to give something to Calgary at the time and would have probably moved it anyways. As I recall, after the EdTel debacle in the early 80's (that was Lougheed sticking it to this city also) voters here started to tire of the PC's and sent them a stern message.

I wish our business community could stand up for our city a bit more on this issue and send the airlines a strong message too. I realize the airlines can be a bit inflexible, but in the end customers do actually have some clout, perhaps more than they realize.

What message would you like them to send & how would they do it?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    What message would you like them to send & how would they do it?
    Good question. Maybe 10, 15 or 20 of Edmonton's largest airline customers call the Presidents of Air Canada and Westjet and say we need better service.

If no meeting, a nicely but firmly worded letter published in a newspaper or two (or three) might get the message across. It would need to be a united/coordinated effort, so probably something the city would need to be involved in. I don't know if this would actually happen (I think the big corporate types may be chickens), but after years of whining it might be time to step things up a bit.

C2E Long Term Contributor

The movers and shakers can beg and plead all they want, but the ultimate judge is the number of paying passengers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thank you Air Canada! Wow I never thought I would ever say that.
    Seriously though, we have to use these flights for the airlines to give us more. There are very few things that bother me more than Edmontonians who connect in Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

And they built a maintenance hanger at YXD to ensure that it would remain open.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

That arrival time from SFO works out well for anyone connecting on Icelandair to KEF and beyond (18:25 departure) or KLM to AMS (17:35 departure).

I know, I know, its a hassle to recheck luggage and go through security again.

There are airlines chomping at the bit to have more presence in Canada but the Feds won't allow them. If we could get past that maybe Edmonton could be a hub for say Emirates or Cathay Pacific or any number of possibilities. Our location would be very good for Europe to Western USA. Asia to USA or Europe etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    There are airlines chomping at the bit to have more presence in Canada but the Feds won't allow them. If we could get past that maybe Edmonton could be a hub for say Emirates or Cathay Pacific or any number of possibilities. Our location would be very good for Europe to Western USA. Asia to USA or Europe etc etc.
    It has never made sense for someone from Edmonton to fly south, wait, perhaps transfer planes and then fly back over Edmonton to go to Europe.

It would make much more sense if the Europe flights originated south of Edmonton, stopped here and then continued on, but somehow that seems to much to ask - perhaps time is more precious for Calgarians than for us. More, likely the Canadian airlines have never really thought it through very well and don't realize it makes sense.

I wish I could say large corporations were infinitely wise, but that is obviously not the case as one of the airlines had a previous experience with bankruptcy. Sometimes it takes the customers clearly and strongly pointing out the absurdity of things and some persistence to get corporations to go beyond their "well we have always done it this way and it seems to work for us" mentality.

If we don't stand up for ourselves, guess what - no one else likely will.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...it is not just the Feds...bi-lateral agreements are also sticking points...

...it is not as simple as you think That is one of the goals of the Airshow...to show Edmonton as a market...but that is a small part of a lot larger picture...
    Onward and upward

Default NAFTA Airlines

WestJet CEO Gregg Saretsky has already signaled an interest in using the prospective Delta-WestJet JV as a door to cooperation with Aeromexico (and other Delta global partners, for that matter). Aeromexico is 36%-owned by Delta, which effectively added Mexico City, Monterrey and Guadalajara to its North American hub network of Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis-St. Paul, New York JFK, Salt Lake City and Seattle when it launched the US-Mexico transborder JV. WestJet, with its roots as a point-to-point LCC, is just starting to develop a hub-and-spoke network fueled in part by feeder traffic from its WestJet Encore regional subsidiary.
    If the WestJet-Delta JV launches in 2019 as planned, Delta will at least add WestJet-base Calgary to its hub network. But Canada’s second-biggest airline, which will start taking delivery of Boeing 787-9s in 2019 and has its eyes on transpacific flights to China, surely will continue to build its presence across Canada, including in Vancouver and Toronto.
    http://m.atwonline.com/blog/nafta-airlines
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536