Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 3,601 to 3,673 of 3673

Thread: Air Service Development, Routes, and carrier conversations

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by FlyYeg View Post
    At the end it's about $$$. I have finally come to accept that our international market is much thinner from a yield perspective than I thought.
    Agree with you that this is the root cause. If the dollars aren't there, no amount of lobbying will improve our situation, other than a short-lived blip perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Didn't take layers of people, organizations and businesses. It just took one premier with a vision to create a national head office centre. A premier who felt that there could only be one such centre in Alberta and picked his home town.
    Back in 1905, Edmonton was chosen to the capital because there was a Liberal government in Ottawa and Calgary had voted for the Conservatives while Edmonton had elected Liberals, Frank Oliver and Peter Talbot.

Should we give up being the capital because the decision was a political one?

Edmonton had the seat of government. We also had the University (1908 ). When the U of C opened (1944), it was actually part of the U of A until 1966.

All this whining about how Calgary got this or Calgary got that gets really tiresome.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Back in 1905, Edmonton was chosen to the capital because there was a Liberal government in Ottawa and Calgary had voted for the Conservatives while Edmonton had elected Liberals, Frank Oliver and Peter Talbot.
    I think that doesn't really capture all the factors in the decision.

Didn't take layers of people, organizations and businesses. It just took one premier with a vision to create a national head office centre. A premier who felt that there could only be one such centre in Alberta and picked his home town.

Edmonton had the seat of government. We also had the University (1908 ). When the U of C opened (1944), it was actually part of the U of A until 1966.

All this whining about how Calgary got this or Calgary got that gets really tiresome.
    The folklore about why Edmonton was chosen as the capital generally comes from Calgary and I am sure a lot of people from Edmonton find it tiresome too, but just because it is tiresome doesn't mean I expect people in Calgary will stop spreading this cow manure or whining about it.

I think Lougheed was actually fairly upfront about promoting Calgary as a business centre, which it wasn't much of before he became Premier. Now, he was actually better to Edmonton than the Klein the Mayor of Calgary who later became the Premier of Calgary.

Just stating reality. Not whining at all.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I just had a similar experience while booking my trip to Dubai last week. I ended up choosing yeg to Amsterdam then to Dubai. There were cheaper and shorter options via Calgary but I am also on a crusade to avoid yyc. So I choose to pay a little more to support this flight. My only other real option was to go through Seattle via Emirates (which is a superb airline) but then again I would never recommend landing in the US if you’re coming from the Middle East, you’re just asking for trouble.

My impression of KLM was good overall and Amsterdam is a great place that is super efficient and it’s easy to get from Schipol to the centre of the city and the special cafes made the layover the best ever. I was very happy to find the plane basically full both ways and I was happy to pay a little more.

At the end of the day, we all know that money talks and I feel better supporting yeg than I ever would supporting yyc. Also, the fact that I didn’t give any money to wj or ac on this particular trip, made me happy as well. The only thing we can do to get more direct flights is to support the ones that we have. It’s that simple, think of it as a vote. If you fly out of yyc you’re voting for yyc instead of yeg, that simple.

We are in Florida at the moment for spring break. We flew out yesterday on WestJet’s direct to Orlando. The flight was full, maybe 2 empty seats. The flight crew says the flight is usually like this. That is good!

What sucks is the flight is only once per week. I overheard so many people onboard stating they are flying home via Calgary. Calgary has 4x week service. We are coming back March 31 on the direct flight but not everyone has that kind of time.

I would think Edmonton could at least support a 2x a week service.

Edit: Winnipeg, Ottawa, Halifax get 3. Come on WestJet!!!
    Last edited by metro; 18-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.

You would think when the yield support it...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Looks like Swoop is already increasing its frequency on YEG-YHM from 7 weekly to 13 weekly, starting August 14, 2018 (along with other frequency increases from YHM).

https://www.flyswoop.com/news/swoop-...-aircraft.html

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...m-august-2018/

Abbotsford – Edmonton eff 25JUL18 3 daily
    Hamilton – Abbotsfordeff 20JUN18 6 weekly, 12 weekly from 16AUG18 to 05SEP18
    Hamilton – Edmonton eff 25JUN18 7 weekly, 13 weekly from 14AUG18
    Hamilton – Halifax eff 20JUN18 6 weekly, 7 weekly from 16AUG18
    Hamilton – Winnipeg eff 25JUN18 6 weekly, 7 weekly from 16AUG18

They just trying to shut Flare down. There's not that much traffic there for that. They should have done Halifax/Edm daily for easterners for the trades.Typical bullies.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    They just trying to shut Flare down. There's not that much traffic there for that. They should have done Halifax/Edm daily for easterners for the trades.Typical bullies.
    The BS AC tried on WJ with Zip, Tango and Jazz...
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I'd rather C2E than work!

Jeez, anyone would think these airlines had their customers' interests in mind.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Continued Contributor

That flight already exists on WestJet.

Daily? Then Quebec city as there are lots if scaffolder in New Brunswick. If they truly were setting up a low cost why compete with others? Logic tells me these guys are up to no good.

They have them in mind. Funnel them to their hubs; and set up new cheap airlines to compete with a new start ups. If they achieve at drowning them out, their new set up is shut down. You should know the game by now.

Daily? Then Quebec city as there are lots if scaffolder in New Brunswick. If they truly were setting up a low cost why compete with others? Logic tells me these guys are up to no good.
    Yes and twice on Saturdays.

Thank you for that! I'll let people know up north when I'm there.

C2E Posting Power

You do that "tips" the scaffolder.....you go ahead and let all your New Brunswick scaffolding buddies that there's a? Wait, what are you letting them know again? Btw, can't be too many of those scaffolding buddies left at Fort Hills....sadly most of them will be back home on Pogie soon......

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Jeez, anyone would think these airlines had their customers' interests in mind.
    They have them in mind. Funnel them to their hubs; and set up new cheap airlines to compete with a new start ups. If they achieve at drowning them out, their new set up is shut down. You should know the game by now.
    I take it your reply was to my post? I think you may have missed the sarcasm/tongue in cheek of it.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

What the heck is your problem? I'm doing my part to encourage people to use our airport. Forthills is one of many plants up there. You have an angry tone like your are coming down from a high or drunk venture. What does this have to do with your comment? Stick to the topic. There are many easterners that work year round here; they do want to see their families at some point. Stopping acting like a fool and shame on you!

It may sarcasm to you, but that sarcasm is true though.

C2E Posting Power

What the heck is your problem? I'm doing my part to encourage people to use our airport. Forthills is one of many plants up there. You have an angry tone like your are coming down from a high or drunk venture. What does this have to do with your comment? Stick to the topic. There are many easterners that work year round here; they do want to see their families at some point. Stopping acting like a fool and shame on you!
    Haha!!!! You missed my point completely.....sarcastic albeit. You made it sound as if you are some sort of Grand Wizard of Ft.McMurray....yeah we all know about Fort Hills....my point....we don't need some scaffolder telling us the obvious. Oh? You're gonna let all your New Brunswick buddies know about the frequency of flight to Hamilton.....thanks Goodness they have you as a resource.....sorry...you made me "go there" with your strange self absorbed complex as the Wizard....lol. Keep it up....what else can you enlighten us with?

I'm no grand wizard, but I do care for my city; so I do my part, where I can, to promote it. Is there anything wrong with that? Your attitude does the opposite. I want more direct flights, and the way to do so is to get people coming through here. Many of them have to go to Calgary, and, when you are 3K+ km away, that small hour is harder for them as some have to do another transfer from Halifax to get to their destination. For some, it is almost two days just to get home and see their love ones. When you have a week off, that is not much time for rest, down time, or family. Either help our our city or shut up!
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 24-03-2018 at 07:23 PM.

"that small hour"????

Its NEVER an hour .... at best add 3 hours especially if out of country as it will involve customs art YYC, at worse your flight is cancelled or delayed and your stuck in YYC. Non-stop is the only way to go.

Your right as i was vage. That hour was refering to the extra 1/2 hour of flight time; then there is descending and so forth... The waiting for flights in Calgary and another wait at Halifax. I'm not exaggerating when I said almost two days of travel just for some to get home for 3 days of family, rest and decompress. The same process is repeat for the trip back to work. This is like third world travel.

C2E Posting Power

Your right as i was vage. That hour was refering to the extra 1/2 hour of flight time; then there is descending and so forth... The waiting for flights in Calgary and another wait at Halifax. I'm not exaggerating when I said almost two days of travel just for some to get home for 3 days of family, rest and decompress. The same process is repeat for the trip back to work. This is like third world travel.
    Geez man!!! There your u go again.....just drop this "feeling sorry for Easteners who CHOOSE to work ouu West and fly back and forth. No one is holding a gun to their heads.....frankly....don't even need them...... Have enough workers not working. Scaffolding is not exactly a "highly prized trade" .....dime a dozen.....just above Insulators

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

All,

Please watch your tone on this thread. Also, can we keep the discussion on the topic of Air Service Development? While the types of trades wanted or needed can be relevant, this is spiralling downward fast.
    Ow

Throwing out scenario could inspire new start up airline to give us more bodies through our airport. This would be like when we were discussing Porters potential move to the West. I expounded that if they do that, their strategy has to have different base than A.C. OR WS. Whether it was our discussion that gave FLARE airline that inspiration, but we have to dialogue without hatred. East or west, i care for good honest people. There are lots of lazy westerners just like the east. The same with hard workers.

As per you looking on Scaffolder, it is the most secured job in the trade; year round employment; lastly, without scaffolders, most things could not be done to build the Oilsands. Have great a night, but dont interact with me further until your attitude is adjusted as i can't stand ignorance.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Losing a direct flight to Asia is a negative thing for Alberta, even if to YYC. That said, their 767 was the oldest in the fleet and awful to use.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I believe this opens up more opportunities from YEG. Too bad China carriers are already at their max bilateral into Canada. We will need to wait for WestJet or AC to service YEG to Asia.

Potential (realistic) Asia routes for Edmonton would be NRT, HKG, ICN. And PEK or PVG (if slot situation improves). I don't see secondary China working from YEG at all at this point, and MNL could work but would likely be low yielding.

HKG or PVG please and thank you
    www.decl.org

There was talk a few years ago of an Asia - YYC - YEG three way route. I am sure both cities could provide enough yield for a 789

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    I believe this opens up more opportunities from YEG.
    I see it as the opposite actually. If YYC can't make a route to Asia work, with all their connections and tourist traffic, I don't see how Edmonton could.

C2E SME

I think Edmonton seems to do well with the cargo flights. But getting international flights is another challenge. My guess is that if WestJet ever secures Asian destinations, Calgary would be a prime hub.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^do we? Or cargo vis a vis comparable such as Calgary, Winnipeg, etc. is quite low.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think Edmonton seems to do well with the cargo flights. But getting international flights is another challenge. My guess is that if WestJet ever secures Asian destinations, Calgary would be a prime hub.
    Not sure about cargo: Air China Cargo cancelled their Edmonton to Shanghai flights.

Agree about WestJet but the first thing they're going to do with 787s is replace their current 767 flights so Asia is several years away at least.

^ They may use their 767s for their budget Airline Swoop much like AC does for Rouge. The 787s will be for more lucrative routes like Asia. And of course if we ever get a chance at an Asian route WestJet is the closest possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Not sure about cargo: Air China Cargo cancelled their Edmonton to Shanghai flights.

Agree about WestJet but the first thing they're going to do with 787s is replace their current 767 flights so Asia is several years away at least.

I too am hearing of the suspension of the Air China Cargo flights. This is not good. The old adage: "use it or lose it" comes to mind.
    Come on folks! don't we have stuff to sell in Shanghai? Or stuff to import from there?

As for WestJet and their 787, they will require a change to the air service agreements, state to state treaties, in order to allow WestJet in to Asia. Will Ottawa oblige and help move to make it happen? Or will Ottawa be paternalistic and protect Air Canada? Best start writing the MPs and Ministers to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    As for WestJet and their 787, they will require a change to the air service agreements, state to state treaties, in order to allow WestJet in to Asia. Will Ottawa oblige and help move to make it happen? Or will Ottawa be paternalistic and protect Air Canada? Best start writing the MPs and Ministers to make it happen.
    Well...both the new Level Airline out of Europe and Norwegian are on their way to Canada so says Canadian Transportation Agency following approval. Reading some of the background articles on Level and Norwegian they are definitely positioning themselves into a major push into North America. Whether YEG will be on the radar for flights into Gatwick and or Orly, only time will tell. There is an overlapping of these airlines including share purchases and we could see consolidation.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2018-72
    https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2018-68

An interesting read:
    http://www.anna.aero/2018/04/13/iag-...bid-norwegian/
    http://www.anna.aero/2017/03/22/leve...ino-orly-next/

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    I too am hearing of the suspension of the Air China Cargo flights. This is not good.
    Your sources must be pretty slow. The route ended last year.

That they did sadly.
    www.decl.org

Excited about the SFO non-stop starting on AC.
    www.decl.org

“Extra flights to Cancún, Mexico, will be added, departing from Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal and Quebec City. Vancouver residents will enjoy daily connections to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and more flights to the Pacific resort destination will be available to holidayers in and around Edmonton.” ... “The carrier is strongly developing its offer in Western Canada's largest cities (Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton) to Toronto and Montreal, which significantly increases the number of South and Europe destinations available as well as the number of flights departing Western Canada.”

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...681363341.html

http://m.atwonline.com/leasing/aviaa...-s-air-transat

YEG<>PVR is now 3 weekly flights instead of 2 on days Tue, Wed, Sat starting Nov on the booking window. CUN appears on booking to be twice weekly in Nov increasing to 3 in December onward. Also YEG flights to LGW MAN GLA came up as connections through YYZ and times looked great as did price and on closing Safari and bringing up AT again the screen only brought up LGW. Let’s hope the well timed connecting flights and very competitive fares get fleshed out and are made available.

Air Transat in winter 2018/19 season continues to increase Airbus A320/321 operational routes, as the Airbus narrowbody variant being introduced on following markets.

Airbus A320
    Edmonton – Puerto Vallarta eff 17DEC18 1 of 3 weekly, replacing A330-200
    Toronto – Edmonton eff 05NOV18 2 weekly (2 of 4 weekly from 19DEC18

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...routes-in-w18/

^ but is not flights to Varadero and Punta now through YYZ instead of nonstop? This would signify a reduction in service overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    ^ but is not flights to Varadero and Punta now through YYZ instead of nonstop? This would signify a reduction in service overall.
    Not a reduction in the number of AT non stop flights but you might be right about an AT reduction to Punta and Veradero, though WS ans SW both fly those routes iirc. That said AT have increased nonstop frequency to the 2 biggest destinations that Edmontonians want. I think it’s a great compromise in improving service without that “YYC tech stop” lol that was really pissing people off. Transat is making better use of their metal and meeting local demand IMO.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 13-05-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Default Flair postponing flights to YXE?

Cannot search any flights to Saskatoon for any dates, starting in mid-June when the route was supposed to launch.

YXE route still shows on Home page under Our Destinations: https://flairair.ca/
    YXE removed on Route Map: https://flairair.ca/travel-info/flair-air-route-map/

Quote Originally Posted by Taras View Post
    Cannot search any flights to Saskatoon for any dates, starting in mid-June when the route was supposed to launch.

YXE route still shows on Home page under Our Destinations: https://flairair.ca/
    YXE removed on Route Map: https://flairair.ca/travel-info/flair-air-route-map/
    Perhaps they want to leave their options open to see what happens with a possible WS pilot strike. If the strike happens, it could be a good opportunity for Flair to nibble into WS market share on popular routes.

Even if WS launches Swoop, I think Swoop will have problems competing with Flair because it will have to fly the same routes as mainline WS.

We are in Portland for the long weekend. We flew down on Delta via Seattle, the flight was sold out. Quite a few people who were on the Seattle flight were on our next flight to Portland.

I wonder if EIA could lobby WS to utilize swoop on a Portland route?

Default Flair cancels Prince George service to YEG, YVR, before even starting

https://ckpgtoday.ca/article/528281/...eorge-schedule

YXE-YEG service also appears to be cancelled before even starting.

That did not surprised me. That is a hick town that can sustain a few fights each week to cities such as Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver.

Or Chicago or New York or Miami or Houston or Paris or Tokyo or.....

Oh wait, that's Edmonton.

Exactly. As to why Flair decided that city needs interprovincial like that baffled me on the economic front. It was a no brainer the city and area does not have the population for that type of intensity.

Point being we need to funnel as many passengers from as many communities as we can through EIA. Not a great loss as we already have a service to YXS.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

More unfortunate is the Saskatoon route not starting this month. Hopefully that will commence at some point as they bring more planes online.

Another example that ORD should be placed back on EIA schedule . . .

The 20 busiest international routes in the world:
    20: Chicago to Toronto
    Just over a million passengers flew between these two cities last year. Roughly 60 per cent of the arrivals at each went on to a connecting flight, with San Francisco proving the most popular destination for Chicago arrivals and Edmonton International the most popular for Toronto arrivals.

https://www.internationalairportrevi...-in-the-world/

C2E SME

New York would also be great. I wonder if Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport has any routes in the Top 50.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by 53latitude View Post
    Another example that ORD should be placed back on EIA schedule . . .

The 20 busiest international routes in the world:
    20: Chicago to Toronto
    Just over a million passengers flew between these two cities last year. Roughly 60 per cent of the arrivals at each went on to a connecting flight, with San Francisco proving the most popular destination for Chicago arrivals and Edmonton International the most popular for Toronto arrivals.

https://www.internationalairportrevi...-in-the-world/
    ORD-YEG is one way AA can get in on the Edmonton market. Their seasonal PHX-YEG means that they abandon our city (with no real code-share alternatives in Canada) for half a year.

Edmonton’s airport receives low marks in FIFA World Cup evaluation

"The report – which includes the ability to travel between venues and within each host city – ranked Edmonton’s transportation in a tie with Kansas City for the second-worst of the North American host cities."

https://globalnews.ca/news/4255932/e...ifa-world-cup/

Wow. The Edmonton Metropolitan Region needs to step up with a long term major assist to EIA - we need more routes.

^Largely because the Mayor and City Council are too busy focused on pie-in-the-sky dreams of high-tech moving here from San Francisco because of one flight and massive bike lanes....

^...haha.

Look at the cities we are being compared to though. Not excuse our lack of certain flights, but generally speaking the comparatives are a league above.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^...haha.

Look at the cities we are being compared to though. Not excuse our lack of certain flights, but generally speaking the comparatives are a league above.
    Lack of flights is more of an indictment on the city than the airport. The key statistic is we have direct flights to only 8 of the 22 proposed cities which are some of the biggest in North America. Airport can only do so much if the city is not positioning itself to sustain flights (LHR, NY).

^...haha.

Read the report. FAIL with air international and North American nonstop routes.The snide comment in the report was a slap in the face and uncalled for. VERY GOOD with the stadium. VERY GOOD with "public" transport to the stadium. Barely OK with the proposed location for the FIFA Fan FestTM (what venue was offered and how the rating was determined it does not say, but it seems unfair - Appendix D7), FAIL with Hotel Accommodations (JW was likely taken into consideration). Edmonton is the smallest City hosting at 1.4M.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upl...at3oingsmnlvzf

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    ^...haha.

Read the report. FAIL with air international and North American nonstop routes.The snide comment in the report was a slap in the face and uncalled for. VERY GOOD with the stadium. VERY GOOD with "public" transport to the stadium. Barely OK with the proposed location for the FIFA Fan FestTM (what venue was offered and how the rating was determined it does not say, but it seems unfair - Appendix D7), FAIL with Hotel Accommodations (JW was likely taken into consideration). Edmonton is the smallest City hosting at 1.4M.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upl...at3oingsmnlvzf
    Report was a very good wake up call to the folks at Edmonton Global and EEDC

Default First Air and Canadian North join forces to better serve Pan-Arctic communities

Following execution of definitive agreements and the receipt of applicable regulatory approvals needed to establish a strong new entity, the proposed Pan-Arctic airline will operate under the name “Canadian North” and aircraft will feature new First Air livery, including its Inukshuk logo. Headquarters for the proposed airline will be located in Ottawa. Both Makivik and IDC recognize the value and potential in the North and in the Alberta market and remain committed to supporting and growing the Alberta presence. The parties expect to complete the merger by the end of 2018.
    https://www.canadiannorth.com/about/news/0075979-first-air-and-canadian-north-join-forces-better-serve-pan-arctic-communities
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Hearing along with AA’s increase to PHX they are looking at adding service to more western Canadian cities including YEG to ORD. Anyone else hearing this rumour? Hearing that is strongly associated to the loss of partnership with WS that is firmly discontinued as of August 1st as WestJet strengthens their JV with Delta.

Personally, I'd do just about anything to avoid O'Hare.

But - be good for business and, for many, connections.

New First Air HQ in Ottawa? Maybe not so good. Canadian North has a big league presence at YEG.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by 53latitude View Post
    Hearing along with AA’s increase to PHX they are looking at adding service to more western Canadian cities including YEG to ORD. Anyone else hearing this rumour? Hearing that is strongly associated to the loss of partnership with WS that is firmly discontinued as of August 1st as WestJet strengthens their JV with Delta.
    Would love to see ORD back. Was always a popular route and that would be my "go to" for east coast US and some European destinations.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

McBoo said; New First Air HQ in Ottawa? Maybe not so good. Canadian North has a big league presence at YEG.

Yes, too bad, gain one (Flair) and lose another. There was this though. “Both Makivik and IDC recognize the value and potential in the North and in the Alberta market and remain committed to supporting and growing the Alberta presence”. Whatever that means exactly.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 11-07-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Flying delta to Columbus this aug, so greatful for the USA carriers who supply us with connections that don’t require me to go through Toronto and allow me to clear customs here in Edmonton. Bless!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Skytrax releases their 2018 rankings.

Air canada wins for best North American airline
    Westjet wins for best North American discount airline.

No american airlines on any of the lists.
    And there was no award given to north american airlines in the 'Best service staff' category...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...018/index.html

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637