Thread: Air Service Development, Routes, and carrier conversations

C2E Long Term Contributor

3 city
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

Wish you guys would stop talking in codes

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Ya, but it's a hip YEG thing, doncha know. You gotta "get on the scene", be "fab", an' all that.
    Last edited by howie; 20-10-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I'm hardly tech savy, but I learned Google is the quick key to finding information. EVA is a Taiwanese airline, so it might be Taipei - Edmonton-. U.S. This route is similar to Icelandair concept of being stealthy and landing something plausible for our city. Although I would prefer HK, I would be satisfied with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    Wish you guys would stop talking in codes
    ... learning the 'language' of another industry is important sometimes, I had to.
    www.decl.org

Default Hello kitty

Boeing 777-300ER 21 15 38 63 211 312 4 aircraft and 13 orders leased, 6 aircraft delivered from 2016; 2 wearing Hello Kitty liveries
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVA_Air
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I saw one of the Hello Kitty planes in Tokyo this year. Quite an eyeful to take it all in. Ridgeman in case you are confused by the full use of words for "hello kitty"...we are not talking to a cat. You could though . At my hotel in Shinjuku I was offered an "upgrade" free to a "hello kitty room" all decked out with the theme...and filled with hello kitty shampoos, amenities etc. etc. I politely declined but was not offered an alternate lol. Why they would think a single male adult would want to stay in a room decked out that way was confusing. Maybe I meowed when I first arrived at the check-in counter.

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/flying-w...lo-kitty-jets/
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 21-10-2015 at 06:30 AM.

Puzzling! Isn't this kitty thing for children?

C2E Continued Contributor

Just think we may have Hello Kitty Jets flying into Edmonton in 2016.

I can't wait to go out to the airport and see them

Jeez, there goes my coffee.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Puzzling! Isn't this kitty thing for children?
    Nope
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ___-YEG-TPE on EVA with a 773 sounding plausible.
    This sounds amazing. Would this still be TPE-YEG-somewhereelse , or just TPE-YEG?
    Unsubstantiated Facebook Rumour today:

"EVA Air to start flights in March from Taiwan-Edmonton-Miami-Edmonton-Taiwan. With the Boeing 777."

Using 'Taiwan' instead of Taipei?

^ do we suppose it could be another Taiwanese city?

I wouldn't be any more surprised or any less elated with EVA Air, but this looks as much like a (reasonable) guess as any other.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Anyone flown with EVA before?

I believe I have flown EVA from Hong Kong to Taipei, or Taipei to Manila.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Yes, round-trip once. Taipei-Seoul Incheon.

All the time, when I lived in Taiwan. Great service.

They're Star Alliance too, so they'll be popular with the AC/United crowd here.

Connections to every major city in Asia, plus many secondary cities in China.

Taipei is an amazing city. I sure hope this is true.

Looks more like "Connections to most major cities in Asia" due to the lack of connections to the Indian subcontinent
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Yes, round-trip once. Taipei-Seoul Incheon.
    I have several times, they are top notch as is CKS. I took them on trips to MNL and SGN over the years

Taiwan is quite a country, more like a European country than Mainland China. Per capita income is like $44,000USD while mainland china is $13,000USD. Very nice place and I was surprised. If EVA is at YEG I for one will be using it quite a bit. A super airline. Great service and they have never had an accident .......yet

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Looks more like "Connections to most major cities in Asia" due to the lack of connections to the Indian subcontinent
    I only mapped EVA Air destinations. Taipei has service to New Delhi.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    I only mapped EVA Air destinations. Taipei has service to New Delhi.
    EVA fly to Brisbane iirc from Taipei. That gives Edmonton travellers an option for entry into Australia.

Just spoke to someone on board of EIA and they didn't know anything about it. So this news hasn't been broken to the board yet....

C2E Posting Power

^ We're running hard with a rumour + speculation tacked on top of that. But you've got to admit it's fun to do. It may end up being EVA, it may be another airline, or it may be nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    ^ We're running hard with a rumour + speculation tacked on top of that. But you've got to admit it's fun to do. It may end up being EVA, it may be another airline, or it may be nothing at all.
    Tuffy is reliable so there is something. Just surprised the board doesn't know about it yet considering the announcement is this year. Infact, the person I spoke with said they would be very surprised with an Asian flight for YEG, even if it is a fuel stop.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Just spoke to someone on board of EIA and they didn't know anything about it. So this news hasn't been broken to the board yet....
    Really? Did they look you in the eye when they said that?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    When I spoke to them about KLM before the news broke, they confirmed talks were ongoing with a European carrier. This time, the person had no idea and thought I was talking about cargo.

Apparently, there is a meeting today so maybe an update is coming to the board. The person said they will confirm if something is mentioned in the meeting today.

It could be that the board members have learned how to keep their lips sealed after KLM was a "worst kept secret". Rumours are nice, but leaking what should be confidential information during negotiations would be cause for dismissal in many organizations.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It could be that the board members have learned how to keep their lips sealed after KLM was a "worst kept secret". Rumours are nice, but leaking what should be confidential information during negotiations would be cause for dismissal in many organizations.
    That is what I was trying to say.

We get what you were trying to say...that the Board Member was professional and discreet - as we would expect. That someone is pumping them for information is er... twit like (last 2 words are solely mine).
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 22-10-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    We get what you were trying to say...that the Board Member was professional and discreet - as we would expect. That someone is pumping them for information is er... twit like (last 2 words are solely mine).
    Just to provide some context, it's not like I ran into the board member and started asking about this flight. I know the person well and we often discuss routes and the aviation industry. We have enough of a relationship that they would at least confirm or deny the rumor.

C2E Posting Power

^thanks faraz, some of us understood the context up front, but thanks for clarifying.

Next time you chat with that board member, can you ask for an update if/when an improved viewing area may be considered?
    i love lamp

Somehow Tuffy is ahead of the board

Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
    ^thanks faraz, some of us understood the context up front, but thanks for clarifying.

Next time you chat with that board member, can you ask for an update if/when an improved viewing area may be considered?

Was at the airport last week, and I must say the observation deck does not blow my socks off, unless you're planning to observe a concrete column that supports the control tower...

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    I must say the observation deck does not blow my socks off
    The understatement of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Somehow Tuffy is ahead of the board
    He used to be employed by EIA- high management position- but is now working for an airport somewhere in Mexico. He still has connections with EIA hence his acute knowledge. He has never been wrong with tidbits that he shared with us, so don't go spoiling the fun for us forumers with inquisition to EIA personally. I rather we discuss the gossip and leave the topic at bay and close the door when we leave. What happens in this thread stays in the thread; otherwise, there won't be anymore tidbits.

Just figured out a way to get city names to show up, so I'm re-posting a summary map of possibilities that fit tuffyy's rumours:

He's sure become good at generous-seeming ambiguity.

Default Zing airlines

Bold idea of connecting Canada in a point-to-point fashion with the small and nimble Bombardier CSeries.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zing-airlines--2#/
    Last edited by Glenco; 28-10-2015 at 12:51 AM.

^ love the aircraft, but that's not how I'd deploy it.

Not sure I like the look of the team either.

I don't see this getting off the ground either.

More from tuffyy @ SSP

So I can add another hint, those thinking MIA would be tied into this new route it simply is not the case.

This route will have no onward service to the U.S.

It will be origin-stop-YEG. (The stop is not with YYC)

I can't say much more about it.

^Back to square one.

^ depends which "square" one was at more recently , but this is essentially an implied possibility in the map up four posts:

Still fits. (not saying it's Manilla, one can fill in any other end that fits tuffyy's clues. )

Thought YEG is in the middle and was hoping for a non-stop from YEG to origin.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ depends which "square" one was at more recently , but this is essentially an implied possibility in the map up four posts:

Still fits. (not saying it's Manilla, one can fill in any other end that fits tuffyy's clues. )
    That scenario would only work with AC, wouldn't it? Can't have foreign carriers stopping off between Canadian cities, right?

I hope the stop is not any Canadian cities. Asia-Asia-YEG

Hope it's not a stop at YVR. Sick of stopping there and sick of that airport. Would love to fly right on by.

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post

That scenario would only work with AC, wouldn't it? Can't have foreign carriers stopping off between Canadian cities, right?
    A foreign carrier can fly that route. Their only restriction is they can't sell tickets for the hop between Edmonton and Vancouver.

You mean like this?

Hmmmmmn.

No you're right, he hasn't ruled that out either.

Nor this.

tuffyy has still left a big world of possibilities.

Actually I don't know if it's intentional on his behalf, but based on what tuffyy's said so-far, I think even something like this might still be open:

As I said before, he's done well at ambiguity.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post

A foreign carrier can fly that route. Their only restriction is they can't sell tickets for the hop between Edmonton and Vancouver.
    Correct. In fact Philippine Airlines actually flies Manila-Vancouver-Toronto (in addition to some non-stop frequencies) currently.

However, I kind of hope that the rumoured flight isn't to Manila simply b/c the onward connection opportunities are not as good as other Asian airports (and from all accounts the airport in Manila isn't of the same quality as other Asian airports). Although at the end of the day any flight from Asia to YEG would be awesome and beggars can't be choosers!
    Last edited by DClan; 28-10-2015 at 05:33 PM.

^ no question. Any 777 passenger jet scheduled between YEG and Asia would be huge news.

The MNL Terminal is awful and yet the domestic terminal is quite nice. They are building a new international terminal tho.

You mean like this?

Hmmmmmn.

No you're right, he hasn't ruled that out either.
    Or how about SIN/HKG, PEK, YEG? So many possibilities.

tuffyy's hints so far...

The only thing I can say is it's not BA they seem to be content scrapping it out in YYC at the moment.

This will be a exclusive route to YEG, but the carrier in question does serve a couple of other Canadian cities outside of Alberta.

This is a passenger flight, and yes it's long haul.

Just a FYI, a narrow body aircraft will not fly this route.

This route will also be paired with another city (Obviously YYC) is not the paired city.

This route will have a fair amount of O&D traffic and regional connections to the area. In addition it will give access to a large hub in the region for travellers heading elsewhere. As mentioned it's not a dedicated YEG flight so it'll be shared with another city.

Aircraft of choice for this route will be the 77W (777-300) that's not really going to make the guesses easy but it should be announced In Novemberish I do believe. It'll be a late evening departure as well...

This new route sees itself as doing well, it's "untapped" and sees the potential.

So I can add another hint, those thinking MIA would be tied into this new route it simply is not the case.

So is it a 5th freedom or another freedom route. I.e do they stop in Canada, Asia, United States before arriving in Edmonton? Is there an application submitted or needed through transport Canada?

Going off of tuffyy's hints I think these are the possible airlines:

Air China (PEK)
    Air France (CDG)
    Cathay Pacific (HKG)
    China Eastern (PVG)
    EVA Air (TPE)
    Korean Air (ICN)
    Philippine Airlines (MNL)
    Turkish Airlines (IST)

I'm not sure if I missed something but I don't see how any airline would start a service like Asia-YVR-YEG especially because most of these airlines already have agreements with Westjet / Air Canada. Also I would think that the airlines would end the service at their hub so something like India-Asia-YEG on one of these airlines doesn't seem like a possibility. Maybe something like MNL-LHR-YEG but I have no idea and the more I think about it the more confusing it gets

There was mention that it could be Asia-Hawaii-YEG too. My guess would be that the flight originates in Asia and doesn't make a stop in mainland USA or Canada.
    Last edited by deeb; 28-10-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Could it be a Russian carrier? Russia is considered to be part of Asia after all...

If it is an Asian carrier via HNL I would only use it to HNL but no way would I fly through to Asia! What a detour.

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    Could it be a Russian carrier? Russia is considered to be part of Asia after all...
    I don't think so. Apparently the airline serves a couple destinations in Canada already and to my knowledge no Russian carriers would meet this criteria.

how about mnl-nrt-yeg with Philippines airlines.

decent o&d to both japan and Philippines.

and Philippine airlines will sell tickets on mnl-nrt.

that is win win win scenario. of course it assumes that the bilateral allow for that.

thegx @ SSP

Are the origin and stop in the same continent?
    tuffyy

Same continent, already existing Canadian city to the carrier.

^ that looks like Asia-Canada-Canada to me.

YVR and YYZ are the only possibilities.

origin-stop-YEG

origin and stop in the same continent.

^ I understand the GX's question, but tuffyy's answer looks Asia-Canada-Canada to me.

Edit - but would rule out Mumbai-London conclusively though.

I think he meant the carrier exists in Canada.

"This will be a exclusive route to YEG, but the carrier in question does serve a couple of other Canadian cities outside of Alberta"

^ I think there he means "exclusive to Alberta".

He has also said "shared, but not with YYC", clearly not ruling out either Van or Tea Dope.

grish

Just gong by the number of Edmontonians from the Philippines, my guess would be Manila.

But flying a 777 between Canadian cities?

^ They don't have a domestic partner really, and the price of fuel is definitely cheaper in Edmonton, so the distance from YEG to YVR can be overcome by:
    1. Not needing to codeshare to access a rather large enclave of Fillipinos
    2. Filling up with cheep gas for the return flight

It's not that outlandish. We've seen similar models, and even more extreme ones - way back, AA tacked YEG onto their Dallas-YYC simply because we had cheaper overnight parking, and Transat used to fill up their L1011's humongous fuel tanks for the relatively short flights to Cuba to sell the excess fuel to the Cubans. Neither would have served Edmonton except for those non-passenger reasons. A few YEGheads buying tickets was just the icing on the cake. Kindof like how Greyhound has become a freight-first company.

Plus, as DClan pointed out, they're already operating in that manner to YYZ.

We'll see, but if I had to guess at this point, I think I'll go with grish, actually. Guessing once a week YEG-YVR-MNL-YEG and once or twice a week reversed. Thus we have nonstop inbound alternating with nonstop outbound on this plot:

edit - by the way, inserting YEG to the Manilla-Vancouver venture would add 1022 km and around an hour and 20 minutes to the total flying time, or around 5%. That 5% is what they would try to cover by not codesharing to Edmonton (or Alberta entirely?) and cheaper fuel. Seems realistic.

Note that concept would work not only for Phillipine Airlines, but just as well EVA to Taipei or for any other Asian carrier not in Star Alliance (where they'd have less financial, but more political hurdles.)
    Last edited by JayBee; 29-10-2015 at 05:05 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

But flying a 777 between Canadian cities?
    Especially a short route like YVR-YEG. How about YEG-YYZ-DXB?

x-YYZ-YEG

Thinking eastern Europe, Middle east or India
    www.decl.org

Tuffyy's hints cause confusion. If the origin is say Asia then his first comment would hint that the stop is in Asia (same continent). But his second statement contradicts the first statement by saying "Already existing Canadian city to Carrier."

Quote:
    tuffyy

Quote:

The only Middle Eastern/Turkish/South Asian carrier to serve two cities in Canada is Turkish Airlines so it can't be Emirates.

C2E Posting Power

I'm speculating that YEG will be a refueling stop for a route from Asia to the eastern USA where the aircraft doesn't have the "legs" to do the entire route non-stop (similar to Air China Cargo Shanghai - Dallas). Anchorage has typically been the refueling point for these long routes, but Edmonton can just as easily be. The mystery airline would benefit from choosing Edmonton over Anchorage because of untapped demand for non-stop travel from Edmonton in either direction - Asia and eastern USA.

Tuffyy said no stop in the US.

If the carrier doesn't have 8th freedom rights and the two stops are in Canada passengers can not onboard "new" passengers between the two cities. An example of this would be Philippine Airlines flight to YYZ that stops in YVR. Philippine Airlines can not pick up passengers to transport exclusively between YVR and YYZ.

Quote Originally Posted by 53latitude View Post
    Did he explicitly say that? I thought the US option was still on the table.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Did he explicitly say that? I thought the US option was still on the table.

Yes.

I can't say much more about it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^

tuffyy's hints so far...

The only thing I can say is it's not BA they seem to be content scrapping it out in YYC at the moment.

This will be a exclusive route to YEG, but the carrier in question does serve a couple of other Canadian cities outside of Alberta.

This is a passenger flight, and yes it's long haul.

Just a FYI, a narrow body aircraft will not fly this route.

This route will also be paired with another city (Obviously YYC) is not the paired city.

This route will have a fair amount of O&D traffic and regional connections to the area. In addition it will give access to a large hub in the region for travellers heading elsewhere. As mentioned it's not a dedicated YEG flight so it'll be shared with another city.

Aircraft of choice for this route will be the 77W (777-300) that's not really going to make the guesses easy but it should be announced In Novemberish I do believe. It'll be a late evening departure as well...

This new route sees itself as doing well, it's "untapped" and sees the potential.

Nope.

Tuffyy's hints cause confusion. If the origin is say Asia then his first comment would hint that the stop is in Asia (same continent). But his second statement contradicts the first statement by saying "Already existing Canadian city to Carrier."

Quote:
    tuffyy

Quote:
    I agree. This contradiction has me confused as well, and I almost feel he did this on purpose to throw us off the right path.

Just figured out a way to get city names to show up, so I'm re-posting a summary map of possibilities that fit tuffyy's rumours:

You could add HAV and KEF though KEF seems unlikely. US cities gone as you know. European options: lots. It could be LH from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    I'm speculating that YEG will be a refueling stop for a route from Asia to the eastern USA where the aircraft doesn't have the "legs" to do the entire route non-stop (similar to Air China Cargo Shanghai - Dallas). Anchorage has typically been the refueling point for these long routes, but Edmonton can just as easily be. The mystery airline would benefit from choosing Edmonton over Anchorage because of untapped demand for non-stop travel from Edmonton in either direction - Asia and eastern USA.
    and lower priced fuel costs + no in US $

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

You could add HAV and KEF though KEF seems unlikely. US cities gone as you know. European options: lots. It could be LH from anywhere.
    tuffyy has fairly directly indicated Asia, and my interpretation of what he's said is that it's Asia-Canada-YEG.

But then you may notice I added your requests in this quoted map anyway.

I'm almost certain that what he's hinting is Manila-Vancouver-Edmonton, and I'm taking the liberty to want the triangle closed-in (i.e., mnl-yvr-yeg-mnl.)

Quote Originally Posted by JustYeggin View Post
    Could it be something like:

MNL-YEG-YWG?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ines-1.2669608
    I'd guess more like:

MNL-YVR-YEG, 3x weekly
    MNL-YVR-YWG, 1x weekly

Although I'm not convinced that I think Winnipeg makes the final model.

^I thought tuffy said: Origin-Stop-YEG

^ ??? yeah, so the origin is Manila, the stop is Vancouver.

Just my interpretation.

^was directed to your quote.

^ ah, okay. Thanks.

To overfly Edmonton from Manilla to Winnipeg and then turn back to Edmonton seems counter productive and inconvenient to Alberta passengers.

A simple and effective visual from Boeing on airline freedoms:

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boei...of_the_Air.pdf

Air Canada is ending service to Regina as well.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...ights-for-2016

Not that I'm happy that we've lost our connection to LHR, but ff anything it's almost more sad to me that AC won't even fly YEG-YQR anymore.

I realize there are essentially no connections for AC at YEG and that WS Encore flies 3 daily Dh4s on the route, but it still seems pretty sad to lose a major regional route like that.

Tuffyy says announcement coming in the next few weeks

^ and flight will be 3x weekly

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Not that I'm happy that we've lost our connection to LHR, but ff anything it's almost more sad to me that AC won't even fly YEG-YQR anymore.

I realize there are essentially no connections for AC at YEG and that WS Encore flies 3 daily Dh4s on the route, but it still seems pretty sad to lose a major regional route like that.
    Was it two years ago they upped the schedule to twice daily in anticipation of WS increasing service with Encore? Another one of their token efforts with no real plan or strategy.

Folks over at Airliners.net are discussing about YEG's upcoming major announcement.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6538945/

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast