Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788485868788
Results 8,701 to 8,725 of 8725

Thread: Metro Line - North LRT | Churchill to NAIT | Under Construction

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Yeah time well tell. This project was a joke from concept to completion so I have little to no hope it will ever operate as it was supposed to.

Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

A gondola system for the 3.3 km length could have been built for 1/10th the cost with a similar speed, no waiting time and no traffic disruption and little infrastructure changes.

The COE is more interested in mega transit projects that protects the ETS transit union monopoly rather than providing better transit.

The lack of support for the current gondola proposal is proof of that
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

At least the Province is commited to spending $1.4B on the WLRT and $130M expansion of the Metro Line to Blatchford.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...ruction/page88

Calgary still gets more msi dollars then we do. Just to get the bridge over the rail yards is going to cost ~ $600M.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Calgary gets more because they have a larger population. If you add in St. Albert, Sherwood Park and the rest and then look at it per capita, it's going to be pretty close.

all the more reason to annex

C2E SME

I think it would be nice to see the outlying municipalities invest more in transit, possibly in projects in alignment with the regional transit plan.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I’m sure surrounding communities with their same evening and next day snow clearing, pot hole free smooth streets, dandelion free nicely trimmed parks and boulevards, industrial tax bases and a multitude of other pluses are dying to be part of the city of Edmonton and all their problems.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I’m sure surrounding communities with their same evening and next day snow clearing, pot hole free smooth streets, dandelion free nicely trimmed parks and boulevards, industrial tax bases and a multitude of other pluses are dying to be part of the city of Edmonton and all their problems.

Precisely correct.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Calgary gets more because they have a larger population. If you add in St. Albert, Sherwood Park and the rest and then look at it per capita, it's going to be pretty close.
    this is funding only for the two big charter cities. edmonton gets less than calgary because it seems to have been done on a per capita formula. st. albert, sherwood park and the rest get nothing so on a per capita basis for the region, it's even less close, not more. when you factor in the expenses that edmonton incurs on behalf of the region overall, it's probably even less fair. at the end of the day however, it probably wasn't intended to be as fair as it was intended to give both municipalities the ability to impose more taxes and fees and to take on more of what used to be provincial and federal responsibilities. at the end of the day, this is more downloading by the province than it is financial certainty for the two cities or their taxpayers.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post

Precisely correct.
    You mean all those free loading parasites.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

This is why the the regional transit board is needed: to give a larger voice commiserate with the actual transit using population (distribution). This is particularly relevant for the Metro line as it's suposed to extend to St Albert in the future. That segment will cost a cool billion clams; using the current 40-40-20 split, I doubt they could pony up the required amount. It will be a regional effort to get that built.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolworm View Post
    This is why the the regional transit board is needed: to give a larger voice commiserate with the actual transit using population (distribution). This is particularly relevant for the Metro line as it's suposed to extend to St Albert in the future. That segment will cost a cool billion clams; using the current 40-40-20 split, I doubt they could pony up the required amount. It will be a regional effort to get that built.
    Well said. It is going to be a hard sell to tell the people in Sherwood Park their portion of the regional funding is going to building LRT to St. Albert.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post

Precisely correct.
    You mean all those free loading parasites.
    You mean the hundreds of COE staff including bus drivers, police and transportation managers who live outside of Edmonton?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Yes, this round of funding is only for the big cities but it's not as if the transit systems in the region get $0. And there's a lot more regional transit around Edmonton. Lump all the transit funding together and it's a clearer picture of transit funding.

you spelt leeches wrong.

Back on topic: https://globalnews.ca/news/4727287/e...alling-system/

We'll see how this goes, hopefully testing won't take too long and the City can either accept Thales' solution or move on. It's dragged on long enough.

C2E Long Term Contributor

We'll see how this goes, hopefully testing won't take too long and the City can either accept Thales' solution or move on. It's dragged on long enough.
    It will be another year or two until they accept or reject.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

And they also said they have a back-up plan for signals if this Thales fix doesn't work...but it won't make things any better. In fact, they said it may make it worse.

Might as well just stay with what they have if that's the case.

C2E SME

I’m cynical that the city will probably find something wrong with the signalling over something trivial (“but nobody told me that you had to stop at a railway crossing”). Then they’ll get some local contractor to louse it up.
    Last edited by The_Cat; 05-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post

And they also said they have a back-up plan for signals if this Thales fix doesn't work...but it won't make things any better. In fact, they said it may make it worse.

Source?
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Source?
    Don’t have it handy but I thought I heard it on the news. Maybe I heard wrong...

Source?
    Don’t have it handy but I thought I heard it on the news. Maybe I heard wrong...
    Definitely, there’s no way the operators would be signing off on these stress tests if there was any suspicion that the signally was going to be worse than terrible.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What would happen if this new round of testing doesn't work out? What can we learn from this?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

To hire better engineers?

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    What would happen if this new round of testing doesn't work out? What can we learn from this?
    This is just my assumption so take it with a grain of salt, but likely the city would consider the contract breached and investigate options that include overhauling the entire signalling system of the capital and metro lines. The city also would have a strong case in court against the contractor so expect years of taxpayer dollars going towards that battle.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Page 88 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38788485868788