Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35758182838485
Results 8,401 to 8,412 of 8412

Thread: Metro Line - North LRT | Churchill to NAIT | Under Construction

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Macewan Station is already built to accommodate 5 car trains and the platform width is 9m which is what every other station is built to. The part of the station that has a capacity of 100 is the small pedestrian bridge across the track, and as long as people continue down the stairs and fill up the platform below it really shouldn't be an issue. You can also walk west 100m and come into the station by way of the intersection at 105 and 105 and avoid that bottleneck altogether.

I'd rather C2E than work!

It seems Belvedere is longer then the rest on the Capital line because of the long platform
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    Macewan Station is already built to accommodate 5 car trains and the platform width is 9m which is what every other station is built to. The part of the station that has a capacity of 100 is the small pedestrian bridge across the track, and as long as people continue down the stairs and fill up the platform below it really shouldn't be an issue. You can also walk west 100m and come into the station by way of the intersection at 105 and 105 and avoid that bottleneck altogether.
    And another reason for bottlenecks at macewan station is frequency of trains. At Coliseum, they could push one train after another. Here, they can only do every 10-15 minutes due to the signalling issue.

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    The part of the station that has a capacity of 100 is the small pedestrian bridge across the track, and as long as people continue down the stairs and fill up the platform below it really shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks for the detailed response. That doesn't sound too difficult to upgrade. Does ETS or the city have any plans to improve the bottleneck?

With Sears soon to be vacated, I wonder if that would allow some tweaks to the proposed Kingsway station. Unless they have another tenant lined up right away, Sears can be renovated to be a part of the new station, or at the very least have a pedway attached to it. This could also help minimize the impact to existing parking which I'm sure Kingsway would be interested in.

Maybe Kingsway can attract Target or Eaton's to move in. Is Zellers still open for business?

Ok I'm being facetious here. With shopping malls being turned into medical service centres and a mall as a afterthought, the shopping mall thanks to online vendors like Amazon, are being eroded away like a grain elevator on the prairies. Other then Londonderry mall, lots of these malls will go the way of the dinosaur. I'm not very sanguine about their long term survival.

That being said has the coe figured out what option they want to go with yet for Metro at RAH?

I think their option is do nothing and blame motorists for all the LRT problems.

Back in the day we'd call it passing the buck <$

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Maybe Kingsway can attract Target or Eaton's to move in. Is Zellers still open for business?

Ok I'm being facetious here. With shopping malls being turned into medical service centres and a mall as a afterthought, the shopping mall thanks to online vendors like Amazon, are being eroded away like a grain elevator on the prairies. Other then Londonderry mall, lots of these malls will go the way of the dinosaur. I'm not very sanguine about their long term survival.

That being said has the coe figured out what option they want to go with yet for Metro at RAH?
    I think the way that malls can remain is they have to continue to re imagine themselves. Residential towers, park n ride facilities, better integrated public transportation whether it is LRT, buses, ride share, etc...
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I think the way that malls can remain is they have to continue to re imagine themselves. Residential towers, park n ride facilities, better integrated public transportation whether it is LRT, buses, ride share, etc...
    Southgate seems to have found a way to blossom. Their overhaul and growth started around the time when LRT was being planned in detail. Granted, they already had a transit station, but they've done alright.

Bonnie doon does not look like it will be taking that path. I think there's a bigger opportunity there for TOD with highrises and the like. Ideally, they would blow up Bonnie doon pool and replace it with a super fitness center like the Meadows or Clareview on the mall site. Integrate a new library as well.

Kingsway Mall still seems pretty busy even with the big 'dead' department stores.

Didn't The Bay at Kingsway recently undergo a substantial renovation? Guess they're not planning on 'doing a Sears'.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35758182838485