Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 8610

Thread: Metro Line - North LRT | Churchill to NAIT | Under Construction

  1. #201
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oliver
    Posts
    3,194

    Default

    ^heh.

    But then the next question is, if they didn't save $140M by integrating with EPCOR, then the total cost would be $185M for a 180m tunnel...or $1M/m. That's a lot of gold.

  2. #202
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^heh.

    But then the next question is, if they didn't save $140M by integrating with EPCOR, then the total cost would be $185M for a 180m tunnel...or $1M/m. That's a lot of gold.
    The tunnel is shorter if built now, because it can remain shallower. That is my understanding why there is such a large discrepency in cost. It would be 185million for 180m + x tunnel.

  3. #203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^heh.

    But then the next question is, if they didn't save $140M by integrating with EPCOR, then the total cost would be $185M for a 180m tunnel...or $1M/m. That's a lot of gold.
    They're saving $140 million by not having to build a deep level tube type tunnel that would be much longer, extending as far as Grant McEwan station. The extra $140 is not just for the 180m tunnel, but for a much longer tunnel dug partly beneath a large tower.

    Council would have to be brain dead to not approve this.

  4. #204
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    I think the $45 million spent now is a heck of a good deal. $140 M in savings is money well spent. Go ahead and do this while we have the chance.

  5. #205
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think the $45 million spent now is a heck of a good deal. $140 M in savings is money well spent. Go ahead and do this while we have the chance.
    If the past has made us realize anything, its that city council and administration will probably put this off and pay $140 million more.

  6. #206

    Default

    Well, the previous council and this one seem more aggressive, and more willing to debt finance CAPITAL projects (read: not operating expenses) than those of the past. Given the lack of opposition this proposed route has generated, there seems to be a pretty high degree of consensus. I would be surprised if council did not jump all over this.

  7. #207
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Well, the previous council and this one seem more aggressive, and more willing to debt finance CAPITAL projects (read: not operating expenses) than those of the past. Given the lack of opposition this proposed route has generated, there seems to be a pretty high degree of consensus. I would be surprised if council did not jump all over this.
    The time for building the LRT is now! When we look at how the price of gasoline has jumped, and concerns about the environment, the LRT is a worthwhile investment. I'm sure if the LRT tunnel is started this year, along with construction in 2009 or 2010, it will be great to have an LRT serving a significant portion of the city.

  8. #208
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    239

    Cool Letis get it done!!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Well, the previous council and this one seem more aggressive, and more willing to debt finance CAPITAL projects (read: not operating expenses) than those of the past. Given the lack of opposition this proposed route has generated, there seems to be a pretty high degree of consensus. I would be surprised if council did not jump all over this.
    The time for building the LRT is now! When we look at how the price of gasoline has jumped, and concerns about the environment, the LRT is a worthwhile investment. I'm sure if the LRT tunnel is started this year, along with construction in 2009 or 2010, it will be great to have an LRT serving a significant portion of the city.

    I agree! Plus I am unaware of any reason why we can only expand the LRT in one direction at a time. We should be able to start the NLRT and WLRT during the construction of the SLRT.

  9. #209
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    ^ Planning, securing funding, land acquisition, contracting,... these things take time. Then there's labour shortages,...

  10. #210
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    There are not many contractors out there who can or are willing to leverage out the dollars it would take to do multiple LRT extensions at once.
    Which means, if a large contractor wins a bid for contract #1, will they even be available or want to bid on contract #2.
    These massive infrastructure projects present so many challenges, especially in Alberta. The complexity of nailing down all the details just go get them off the ground is astounding.

  11. #211
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Would be possibly be more efficient if both lines were built simultaneously, based on the fact that a bigger order for materials would make it cheaper, and maybe labour would acquire experience quicker in building the LRT system. I guess this might require one big contractor? Are there any contractors big enough to do 2 lines at once? PCL? Can PCL do LRT construction?


    So many questions... :-0

  12. #212
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NINTman View Post
    Would be possibly be more efficient if both lines were built simultaneously, based on the fact that a bigger order for materials would make it cheaper, and maybe labour would acquire experience quicker in building the LRT system. I guess this might require one big contractor? Are there any contractors big enough to do 2 lines at once? PCL? Can PCL do LRT construction?


    So many questions... :-0
    PCL is currently building the majority of the SLRT south of Belgravia. Can they do more than 1 line at a time, most likely...but that pure speculation by an outsider.
    My understanding, is that when the SLRT was originally tabled, they wanted to present it as 1 single package and received only 1 interested party. Thus, it was sectioned into numerous smaller contracts in attempt to garner more bidders and ensure good value.
    I think everyone here can see that these projects are far too complex and resource intensive to be boiled down to a yes or no answer in this thread.

  13. #213

    Default

    Do these tenders go nationally and internationally?

  14. #214
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    239

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Do these tenders go nationally and internationally?

    If not they should be....It is clear that there are limited contractor resources in Edmonton/Alberta at this time. PCL is the primary infrastructure contractor for Edmonton, Calgary, and the Province. There capacity is spread pretty thin. It is time to look outside Alberta to move these big projects forward.

  15. #215
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    Do these tenders go nationally and internationally?

    If not they should be....It is clear that there are limited contractor resources in Edmonton/Alberta at this time. PCL is the primary infrastructure contractor for Edmonton, Calgary, and the Province. There capacity is spread pretty thin. It is time to look outside Alberta to move these big projects forward.
    The likelihood of that occurring is now better than at the commencement of the SLRT. With a slow in the US and somewhat in the eastern part of Canada, there may be contractors will to enter this market.
    Some serious discussions with the construction industry needs to occur before the roll out of the next major LRT expansions to see what can be built and supported by the available contractor resources.

  16. #216

    Default

    The reason I ask about going out internationally is that fact Ottawa had secured Siemens to construct their entire LRT line...of course, a new council later yanked it and are now facing a rather large lawsuit.

  17. #217
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Royal Gardens
    Posts
    1,681

    Smile First step forward for LRT to NAIT

    Committee agrees to $45M tunnel even though council hasn't approved full line

    Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com

    Published: 1:40 pm
    EDMONTON - A short but expensive part of Edmonton's new LRT line passed its first hurdle today.


    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...aeafb7&k=52640

  18. #218
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Capital Region
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    A "no-brainer" but well done all the same!
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

  19. #219

    Default Downtown To Nait Plans move forward...

    http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server...y/LRTRoute.htm

    The alignment is a variation of the route approved in the 2005 High Speed Transit
    Concept Planning Study. Adjustments have been made to bring a station closer to the
    Royal Alexandra Hospital and relocate the existing Kingsway bus terminal to the Royal Alexandra Hospital site. Features:
    • Direct (underground) connection to Churchill LRT Station (City Hall). LRT users would be able to travel on the same train from NAIT to the Health Sciences Station (114 Street/University Avenue) in approximately 18 minutes.
    • LRT surfaces to street-level on 105 Avenue between 102 and 103 Street.
    • LRT continues north on 105 Street, 104 Street and 106 Street.
    • LRT stations at Grant MacEwan College, Royal Alexandra Hospital and NAIT.
    • Relocating the Kingsway bus terminal to the Royal Alexandra Hospital site.
    • A new multi-use trail would connect all LRT stations.



    Click here to download a larger image.

  20. #220

    Default

    for reference, here was the previous proposed route...


  21. #221

  22. #222

  23. #223

    Default

    When would construction have to start on the underground section in conjunction with the Epcor tower?

    This would be the time to apply for federal and provincial funding to realize multiple LRT lines. Both are eager to prove that they have progressive environmental policies.

  24. #224

    Default

    construction will go ahead costing 45 M dollars (and a huge savings compared to doing it after) at the same time as EPCOR tower

  25. #225

    Default

    I bet I'm not alone in wanting to see these LRT routes built as soon as possible rather than arguing over everything for the next 5-10 years while the cost doubles, or eventually we don't have the money, and we're left with no LRT except what's there right now.

  26. #226
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,850

    Default

    this is a tremendously important route even though it is short....for it would connect all of Edmonton's major Educational institutions along with a major mall, hospital, and the north edge development area.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  27. #227

    Default

    Hasn't digging for the Epcor tower foundation already started?

    The time seems perfect to push through an ambitious LRT expansion. Public transit usage is up dramatically all over the country and will only continue to rise with high fuel prices.

    Governments in North America are beginning to prioritize public transit infrastructure like European governments have done for years.

  28. #228

    Default

    Yes, digging has started, and the tunnel will be built at the same time - this is where the cost savings come in ...

    First step forward for LRT to NAIT

    Committee agrees to $45M tunnel even though council hasn't approved full line


    Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com

    Published: Tuesday, April 08
    EDMONTON - A short but expensive part of Edmonton's new LRT line passed its first hurdle today.
    City council's transportation and public works committee approved spending $45 million to build an 180-metre-long tunnel that will eventually be part of a light-rail transit line from downtown to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology campus..



    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...aeafb7&k=52640

  29. #229
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,850

    Default

    ^yes, but only initial stages...but the Qualico is working with the city to do it simultaneously.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  30. #230

    Default

    Council won't vote on the full line to NAIT, expected to cost $800 million, until July. However, a huge Epcor Tower building is about to be built in the path of the proposed LRT line, and transportation planners want to build the LRT tunnel under the building at the same time as the tower's four-storey underground parkade.
    That means building the $45-million piece of tunnel under the building starting in June, and leaving the rest of the LRT line until approved by council.
    By building now, the city stands to save $140 million in construction costs because the tunnel won't need to be as deep.




    same article above

  31. #231
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Capital Health likes north LRT leg

    Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com
    Published: 2:30 pm May 15th 2008

    EDMONTON - The new north LRT line may cost the Royal Alexandra Hospital a parking lot, but Capital Health is welcoming the new line nonetheless.

    "We're totally for this," Capital Health spokesman Steve Buick said today.
    Having the Royal Alex tied by LRT to the University Hospital and with Capital Health's downtown administration building will be an enormous benefit, Buick said.

    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...8-32d9407fd938

  32. #232
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    It looks to me from viewing map that those horrible but recently built rental apartments on 104th Ave. at 105th St. will have to be purchased and demolished. Or am I reading this incorrectly? Or thinking wishfully?
    Almost always open to debate...

  33. #233
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Capital Region
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    I like the new plan, yes there is a need for affordable housing but most if not all of the blocks that will be demolished need it. Hopefully the City will demonstrate where new affordable housing will be built which increases density and makes use of LRT stops.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

  34. #234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    It looks to me from viewing map that those horrible but recently built rental apartments on 104th Ave. at 105th St. will have to be purchased and demolished. Or am I reading this incorrectly? Or thinking wishfully?
    wishful thinking, as I believe you are refering to square 104/center 104 apartments...

    see here: http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...1St-106Ave.pdf

  35. #235
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Old Strathcona, Edmonton
    Posts
    1,908

    Default

    Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I was. Sigh.
    Almost always open to debate...

  36. #236
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    It looks to me from viewing map that those horrible but recently built rental apartments on 104th Ave. at 105th St. will have to be purchased and demolished. Or am I reading this incorrectly? Or thinking wishfully?
    alas :/

    http://www.edmonton.ca/RoadsTraffic/...1St-106Ave.pdf

  37. #237
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    any renders of the NAIT station, will be interesting to see how it would integrate onto that street.

  38. #238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    any renders of the NAIT station, will be interesting to see how it would integrate onto that street.
    Map 1: Churchill Station to 101 Street
    Map 2: 101 Street to 106 Avenue
    Map 3: 106 Avenue to 104 Street/Kingsway
    Map 4: 105 Avenue/Kingsway to 112 Avenue
    Map 5: 113 Avenue to Princess Elizabeth Avenue

    Map 5 only shows a temporary NAIT station, so not likely anything nifty.

  39. #239
    grish
    Guest

    Default

    not sure why they are talking about NAIT station as temporary. I like that they moved the stop closer to the hospital. moving the transit center there also makes sense to me.

  40. #240
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Capital Region
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Great links, thanks.

    Wonder when this can be done....McEwan open 2011, Royal Alex 2012 and NAIT 2013?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

  41. #241
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    I like how they are moving the Kingsway Mall transit centre across the street to the Royal Alex - a nice little FU to the mall, maybe? And let's shed a tear for losing that McDs too!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  42. #242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I like how they are moving the Kingsway Mall transit centre across the street to the Royal Alex - a nice little FU to the mall, maybe? And let's shed a tear for losing that McDs too!
    I always wonder what is going to happen to Malls like Kingsway and Southgate. They are going to need some good enforcement to stop commuters using ther parkades for LRT. I am guessing they will have to put a time limit, which isn't ideal as it restricts how long shoppers can shop, dine, etc.

    PS. Might NAIT be temporary because of future Muni possibilities? Just a thought.

  43. #243
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I like how they are moving the Kingsway Mall transit centre across the street to the Royal Alex - a nice little FU to the mall, maybe? And let's shed a tear for losing that McDs too!
    I always wonder what is going to happen to Malls like Kingsway and Southgate. They are going to need some good enforcement to stop commuters using ther parkades for LRT. I am guessing they will have to put a time limit, which isn't ideal as it restricts how long shoppers can shop, dine, etc.

    PS. Might NAIT be temporary because of future Muni possibilities? Just a thought.
    Kingsway already has good enforcement to prevent NAIT students from parking there.

  44. #244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I like how they are moving the Kingsway Mall transit centre across the street to the Royal Alex - a nice little FU to the mall, maybe? And let's shed a tear for losing that McDs too!
    I always wonder what is going to happen to Malls like Kingsway and Southgate. They are going to need some good enforcement to stop commuters using ther parkades for LRT. I am guessing they will have to put a time limit, which isn't ideal as it restricts how long shoppers can shop, dine, etc.

    PS. Might NAIT be temporary because of future Muni possibilities? Just a thought.
    In actual fact, both these malls already have regular enforcement of their parking lots, and I've often seen security guards setting up shop on top of kingsway to watch who parks in the morning and walks over to NAIT.

    Southgate already has enforcement watching for people heading to the bus terminal

    Nait is temporary as they don't know which way the LRT will head next. Will it go across the Muni? will it go up 106 st? Or head towards 97 st? or other... thats all pretty much up in the air, and exactly why there would be only a temporary nait station

  45. #245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I like how they are moving the Kingsway Mall transit centre across the street to the Royal Alex - a nice little FU to the mall, maybe? And let's shed a tear for losing that McDs too!
    I always wonder what is going to happen to Malls like Kingsway and Southgate. They are going to need some good enforcement to stop commuters using ther parkades for LRT. I am guessing they will have to put a time limit, which isn't ideal as it restricts how long shoppers can shop, dine, etc.

    PS. Might NAIT be temporary because of future Muni possibilities? Just a thought.
    Kingsway already monitors parking for NAIT students and Royal Alex clients and staff. And they are real hardasses about it. I don't think they'll have a problem enforcing parking for people who want to ditch their vehicles there to hop on the train.

    I also think Kingsway would make a killing if they put their own multilevel parkade and charge for all-day parking for NAIT... but I could be wrong.


    I also think the NAIT station is temporary because planners are still unsure whether to extend the line North and West towards St. Albert (where there will be a permanent station built in the middle of NAIT campus, or turn it North and East towards Northgate (and put a permanent station at the NAIT building that's parallel to Princess Elizabeth Avenue).


    EDIT - you guys beat me to it! Ha ha.

  46. #246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Great links, thanks.

    Wonder when this can be done....McEwan open 2011, Royal Alex 2012 and NAIT 2013?
    I would like to think that they just start working on this whole short line as one project... its not travelling that large of distance. 3 years for complete build, and all stations and commissioning all at once shouldn't be that hard?

  47. #247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I would like to think that they just start working on this whole short line as one project... its not travelling that large of distance. 3 years for complete build, and all stations and commissioning all at once shouldn't be that hard?
    You know what'll happen - the line between NAIT and MacEwan will be finished and ready to go, but the link to Churchill to MacEwan will not be ready for an extra year or so.

  48. #248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I would like to think that they just start working on this whole short line as one project... its not travelling that large of distance. 3 years for complete build, and all stations and commissioning all at once shouldn't be that hard?
    You know what'll happen - the line between NAIT and MacEwan will be finished and ready to go, but the link to Churchill to MacEwan will not be ready for an extra year or so.

    Except they are now roughing in the section between Churchill and the portal that will lead to MacEwan, so that that wont happen. (not laying the track, but just the tunnel and portal)

  49. #249
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    The problem that i have is that they do the 105-104 swing for the sake of some of the ugliest townhouses in the city. that complex is just one small step up from a trailer park. I'm serious. Walk through there some time. It is a lasting memorial of just how bad downtown was in the mid-90's, when this was the best prospect for the property. My preference for NLRT would be direct up 105 St. mercy-kill one row of those beasts (my guess is 7mil total- 1% of the line cost).

    I don't like the alley route either, although it's better than 105 with the replacement semi-expressway on 106. The thing is that the shift is to save ONE BLOCK of on street parking and left turns at 106 ave. N of 107 ave there is zero parking access from 105st, it's all from the alley. LRT could be on the street, and the sidewalks could be widened for bikes etc, with hard landscaping so that emergency services can get through once in a blue moon.

    For Kingsway station, there does need to be some sort of pedway, especially with 111 and kingsway widened. My choice there would be to put the station just underground (no mezzanine) angling from 105st to 106st, and the station itself would be the pedway, wth entrances north south and centre. That way the roads don't need to be widened or relocated either. The Nait station makes more sense this way. If it's temporary, then use existing ROW, don't demo a curling club and get in a fight with the mall.

  50. #250
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,597

    Default

    Medwards,
    I happened to drive the 106 Kingsway route today whata ghost road!
    Great alignment to both this maul and Ookpick central

  51. #251
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    I'm just wondering. Is it confirmed yet 100% that the tunnel under Epcor is going to be built as part of the Epcor foundation construction? If it is hopefully this will further force continued construction of the NLRT line sooner than later. Now this isn't at all important but more of just a curiosity. Yes I know that the Epcor tower is very close to the Churchill station, but what about an Epcor tower station? If not that, anyone think there could be a pedway connection to the closest current pedway location?

    As for a hospital LRT station and bus terminal, I think that would be a great idea. Move the current Kingways terminal away from the mall and get it closer to the hospital itself. Once the terminal is gone they can construct an extended pad (bus stop) to accomdate larger amounts of busses possibly stopping at KGM.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  52. #252

    Default

    Man, I hope all this actually gets built, and soon. Where I live right now I would be able to leave the car at home and walk to the Royal Alex Hospital Station to hop on a quick train ride to Downtown, MacEwan, U of A, Southgate, West Edmonton Mall, Stadium, etc.

    That would be sweet!

  53. #253

    Default

    the funding was put in place to build the foundation for the nlrt when the epcore tower is being built. so ya there already commited to spending the money.. i dout the line will change much i live in the area. i think its a good idea. i just think the line should be underground all the way to nait. so it doesn't have to destroy so many buildings, and that way they will not upset trafic. spend the money right the first time. spend the money now.

  54. #254
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    all underground would be pretty expensive and plus you would have people still whining about it 30 years after it is built...

  55. #255

    Default

    this is true. money doesn't grow on trees so as we see they cant do everything all at once.

  56. #256

    Default

    After so little development in small steps - grandin, university, and health sciences, it's nice to see the planning and proposals going full steam ahead.

    I am shocked at the foresight to build the Epcor Tower tunnel now. This is a major indicator the NAIT line construction will be in full swing as soon as the south line to 23 ave is complete.

    And as long as the global economy doesn't completely crash, I would expect the west line to follow shortly after that.

    This is getting close to an LRTs planner dream 30 years ago, covering a good part of the city with rapid transit.

    As for further growth northward, I would expect to see a push towards st albert before northwood. There is already a major transit center at northwood, and 97 st offers ample space for brt up to nait or kingsway.

  57. #257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzlerz View Post
    this is true. money doesn't grow on trees so as we see they cant do everything all at once.
    I never really understood why we have to wait for 1 line to be complete, before the next one can start. I think we need to get 2 lines up and running. I also don't see why that should be more expensive. Put it out to tender, and see who can build now. As to money not growing on tress - that is true, although there is a lot of money "earmarked" and "floating around" for LRT right now at Provincial and Federal level, not to mention, borrowings. I think LRT is something that can be borrowed for to bring to fruition a little earlier, a funding master plan should be well in the works - other cities have done this, we can too.

  58. #258
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    After so little development in small steps - grandin, university, and health sciences, it's nice to see the planning and proposals going full steam ahead.

    I am shocked at the foresight to build the Epcor Tower tunnel now. This is a major indicator the NAIT line construction will be in full swing as soon as the south line to 23 ave is complete.

    And as long as the global economy doesn't completely crash, I would expect the west line to follow shortly after that.

    This is getting close to an LRTs planner dream 30 years ago, covering a good part of the city with rapid transit.

    As for further growth northward, I would expect to see a push towards st albert before northwood. There is already a major transit center at northwood, and 97 st offers ample space for brt up to nait or kingsway.
    As far as I know BRT is dead so that is no longer an option. LRT pushed to Northgate terminal would be a adequate terminator (for now) for the NLRT line.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  59. #259

    Default

    Does anyone have ridership estimates for the NAIT LRT?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  60. #260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Does anyone have ridership estimates for the NAIT LRT?
    I would be interested in that as well. I have always wondered why NAIT LRT is such a high priority (is this a very popular route with buses?), but I guess if it connects to Millwoods LRT, then it will bring in considerable ridership.

  61. #261

    Default

    I have frequent used buses between those points and it's a busy corridor there.

    The #8 bus that goes between Downtown, MacEwan, then to Kingsway and NAIT is always jam-packed no matter what time it is, nor the frequency. The #9 that goes from Downtown past Royal Alex, then to Kingsway is always full, too.

    Also, good point about MillWoods - the #8 is almost always full between MillWoods and Downtown, and the #9 is almost always full from Southgate to Downtown, too.

  62. #262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Does anyone have ridership estimates for the NAIT LRT?
    I would be interested in that as well. I have always wondered why NAIT LRT is such a high priority (is this a very popular route with buses?), but I guess if it connects to Millwoods LRT, then it will bring in considerable ridership.
    I just want to see what basis this line is being built. If they really wanted to reduce the numbers of buses the route should go up 97th street after NAIT. I have looked all over the Transportation Department`s website and couldn`t find out what ridership there will be with the extension just to NAIT. Are they building it before they have ridership estimates?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  63. #263

    Default

    Who is doing the tunnel work beneath the Epcor tower? and wouldn't that be going on right now? I thought July was when we could expect council approval of the remainder of the line. I suppose they'll attempt to obtain a portion of the funding from that 2 billion that was recently set aside for transit.

  64. #264
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,253

    Default

    I believe the approval of the NAIT line was schedule for the end of summer sometime, but I could be wrong... sometimes it gets confusing hearing all these different dates mentioned.

  65. #265
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    Pagnotta is doing the structure for the tower itself, and have been providing the city with budgeting info, but nothing's been decided or awarded at this time.

  66. #266
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Is the NLRT approved now??

  67. #267

  68. #268
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    I think that, like the Strathearn and Glenora Towers, the city has to stick to their guns on this. The 104 Street Tunnel is a non-starter.

  69. #269
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    I heard on the news that the route's been approved, now they just have to approve the funding.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  70. #270
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    Well I hope that the city goes ahead with the line as soon as possible. I know it's not that likely but I would love to see construction commence withing the next year, either during the completion of the SLRT line or just a bit after the SLRT construction is done.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  71. #271
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Royal Gardens
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    Council bites LRT 'bullet'

    Residents' objections to route overruled to avoid delays


    Ryan Cormier, The Edmonton Journal

    Published: 7:55 am
    EDMONTON - City council has decided its preferred route for the north LRT extension to NAIT is above ground on the median of 105th Street -- between 105th and 108th Avenue -- instead of under 104th Street as the community wanted.

    http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...5-4350e8d4069d

    Now we just have to get the funding approved.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

  72. #272
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,850

    Default

    ^good to see... and while i agree the route aint perfect it is good and is key to connect major centres of employment/learning.

    i suspect funding will be announced in the not too distant.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  73. #273
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    I think that the route taken has the minimum impact on residences in the neighbourhood, and many of the residences on 105 Street are apartment blocks. I also think, with the cooling in Edmonton's housing market, that many of these people could find a nearby residence if their property is expropriated.

    I think that Edmonton can no longer afford to delay projects, thinking that they are merely an exercise.

  74. #274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think that Edmonton can no longer afford to delay projects, thinking that they are merely an exercise.
    Agreed. It sets an interesting precedent too. I mean, if the city is willing to ride over the concerns of residents and build above ground in a low income neighborhood, IMO it should have absolutely no problem in over-ruling the objections of Laurier residents to a train that will go beneath most of their feets (unless of course - Laurier receives a different standard of "care", due to its wealth).

    Approval of WLRT should be next, followed shortly thereafter by Millwoods. Before you know it, we will have a full network across the city.
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-09-2008 at 12:10 PM.

  75. #275

    Default

    Hopefully, council will show the same leadership when it comes to a decision on the CCA. This is a good precedent

  76. #276
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    Well let's hope that council will continue to be progressive in their decisions and continue to push towards getting the LRT done quicker and quicker.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  77. #277
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    It was great to see this passed unanimously.

  78. #278
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    363

    Default

    I think the next step should be to approve the SLRT extension to the city limits (and ultimately to YEG), and the NELRT extension.

  79. #279
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NINTman View Post
    I think the next step should be to approve the SLRT extension to the city limits (and ultimately to YEG), and the NELRT extension.
    And the WLRT, and the SELRT...

  80. #280
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    363

    Default

    well yea, but I mean the SLRT and NELRT extensions are the ones furthest along in concept planning yea?

    WLRT, and SELRT the routes haven't even been decided on.

  81. #281

    Default

    ^SLRT and NELRT extensions also can be pretty much done as a side project to new legs being built too... and not that costly (the ROW exists already and such). I'd hope that we build a new leg such as NLRT/WLRT and also extend the current lines at the same time...

    it can be done right?

  82. #282
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^SLRT and NELRT extensions also can be pretty much done as a side project to new legs being built too... and not that costly (the ROW exists already and such). I'd hope that we build a new leg such as NLRT/WLRT and also extend the current lines at the same time...

    it can be done right?
    Yes, you would think it could be done like that... but only if the city, province, and federal gov't work together to ensure the funding is in place to get these important projects underway and completed... otherwise we'll end up in the exact same position we are in now, wishing we had started them 20 years earlier when they would have cost less. Oh well, let's hope they do the right thing and get their act in gear so that we don't end up in that position yet again.

  83. #283
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,788

    Default

    On a NELRT line extension past clairview I wonder how much it would cost and how much actual construction would it require. I'm just guessing but would there not be just minimal work required as compared to the current SLRT construction. I don't think there is too much that would have to be relocated in way of utilities, etc.. The main construction that would be needed to be done would be on the new station(s) and if they wanted they could even build a temporary station like they did for clairview long time ago.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  84. #284
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    The main construction that would be needed to be done would be on the new station(s) and if they wanted they could even build a temporary station like they did for clairview long time ago.
    What did the temporary station for Claireview look like? Does anyone have a good description or photo even? I would like to see a good example of what a temporary station would look like.

  85. #285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    The main construction that would be needed to be done would be on the new station(s) and if they wanted they could even build a temporary station like they did for clairview long time ago.
    What did the temporary station for Claireview look like? Does anyone have a good description or photo even? I would like to see a good example of what a temporary station would look like.
    I can't find any on the web. But it was an open platform with bus shelters. At north end of the platform was a modular steel single level building that acted as the bus terminal and connection to the platforms. The tracks dead-ended at the building.
    ETS Trolley Buses - 1939 to 2010 - R.I.P.

  86. #286
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Each station costs +/- 20 million dollars, maybe more now.

  87. #287
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    The main construction that would be needed to be done would be on the new station(s) and if they wanted they could even build a temporary station like they did for clairview long time ago.
    What did the temporary station for Claireview look like? Does anyone have a good description or photo even? I would like to see a good example of what a temporary station would look like.
    I can't find any on the web. But it was an open platform with bus shelters. At north end of the platform was a modular steel single level building that acted as the bus terminal and connection to the platforms. The tracks dead-ended at the building.
    Hmmm, doesn't exactly sound pretty... but I suppose it could be done tastefully if needed.

  88. #288

    Default

    Received a flyer in the mail yesterday about the Downtown to NAIT LRT Study.

    "Share your ideas for the design of your local LRT stations".

    Date:
    November 22, 2008

    Times:
    MacEwan LRT Station 9:30 am to 12:00 pm
    Kingsway LRT Station 1:30 pm to 4:00 pm

    Where:
    Robbins Health Learning Centre

    The flyer also shows the new alignment on 105 street.

    The COE website is updated with this new info.
    Last edited by deedub35; 14-11-2008 at 09:10 AM.

  89. #289

    Default

    i got it too. not sure if im going to go. dont have any ideas about desighn.. other then the one should look like the royal alic so its the same as all the hospital buildings look...

  90. #290
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    Is it invitation only? I've got a couple Ideas and I work very close to there. I actually like the concept that they had for MacEwan Station as a sort of semi-underground station with a green roof.

  91. #291
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    I think the Grant MacEwan Station could have a look similar to the Campus, and the Kingsway Station could have yellow brick look to match the hospital. When the Kingsway Garden Mall NAIT station is built, perhaps the station could take on an aviation/technology theme.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  92. #292
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,253

    Default

    Please don't try to match the LRT stations to their surroundings too much... cause I'm sorry, but the Royal Alex is not exactly an attractive building. So yea, compliment the surroundings yes, but don't match them.

  93. #293
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    Here's a link to the NLRT Newsletter:

    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...NAL-081031.pdf
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  94. #294

    Default

    Nice brochure. Now does anyone have ridership estimates?

    Bueller... Bueller... Bueller?

  95. #295
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    I've had a look and I think that i've found about $25m worth of cost savings without compromising anything. I'm also starting to suspect that the kingsway station could be elevated without increasing the cost, just by eliminatng the need to reroute and repave everything within 2 blocks. That's my internet research job for tonight.

  96. #296
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    Looks good, but why all that property acquisition at Kingsway/111 Ave/106 St?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  97. #297
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Looks good, but why all that property acquisition at Kingsway/111 Ave/106 St?
    Because in order to keep the LRT on the ground rather than elevating it they need to relocate a big section of kingsway ave ($$$) because the station doesn't fit between 111 and kingsway, and every property that they will need even a small portion of will be acquired. I suspect that most of the surplus will be sold again after the whole thing is completed.

  98. #298
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,631

    Default

    The Kingsway rerouting is understandable, and what's being acquired is just a crappy strip mall - no big loss. My question is more about the homes north of the intersection.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  99. #299
    highlander
    Guest

    Default

    Because the multiuse trail will encroach on the private lawns. I presume it's easier to acquire, than to negotiate with the homeowners for 5' of their front lawns. It's not really necessary, though. They could avoid having to encroach at all, and save millions in the process.

    The McDonalds may be unavoidable.

  100. #300
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    Tough to say EdmontonPRT, but I'd say at least 25,000 more riders per day, given the stops at MacEwan, Royal Alex/Victoria and NAIT and the numbers who go there.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •