Thread: Restricted Dog Breeds

Default Restricted Dog Breeds

(Sorry, I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct category)

I was wondering, are American Bulldogs considered a restricted breed in Edmonton? I can't seem to find any information on it. Links would be useful.

Thank-you.

C2E Posting Power

Only two breeds are restricted in Edmonton, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Staffordshire Terrier (although mixed-breed dogs who have are primarily one of those two breeds are also restricted). A true "American Bulldog" is a different breed, and so it isn't restricted. That said, many people confuse them as they are, superficially, similar looking dogs.

You can see the city's definition here: http://www.edmonton.ca/for_residents...cted_dogs.aspx

You should also be ok for traveling with your dog (if that is a concern). This site says no Canadian justification restricts the American Bulldog, although some US states do.
    http://travel.meetpaws.com/banned_breeds.html#ca
    Last edited by halocore; 21-05-2012 at 06:46 AM.

There needs to be more restricted breeds, and limits on sizes of dogs. Nothing over 40 pounds +/-.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Why? In my experience larger dogs tend to be far better behaved than the little 5lb rats. I've been bitten twice by one of those in my building, meanwhile the 200lb Irish Wolf Hound just wants an ear rub when he sees me.

From a noise perspective, it's the exact same thing. I never hear the larger dogs in my building barking, it's always the little rats.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dupa View Post
    There needs to be more restricted breeds, and limits on sizes of dogs. Nothing over 40 pounds +/-.
    That's ridiculous. Weight has nothing to do with the temprement of the dog.
    Parkdale

C2E Hard Core Contributor

So Saint Bernards and Golden Retrievers should be banned? Absurd!
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Why? In my experience larger dogs tend to be far better behaved than the little 5lb rats. I've been bitten twice by one of those in my building, meanwhile the 200lb Irish Wolf Hound just wants an ear rub when he sees me.

From a noise perspective, it's the exact same thing. I never hear the larger dogs in my building barking, it's always the little rats.
    I completely agree. I understand the safety concern a large dog can seem to create towards small children, but (if we're going to go off generalizations) virtually every misbehaved dog I encounter is an annoying yipping fluff ball.

Really, it all comes down to the individual dog. Any large dog, even the more aggressive breeds, will be perfectly safe and manageable around kids if they have decent training and treatment. It's definitely important to maintain the restricted dog program for individual dogs with dangerous histories, but I can't say I agree with prejudging a whole breed.
    Last edited by halocore; 21-05-2012 at 07:33 PM.

I think the dogs bred for fighting should be banned, like the Pit Bull. It is bred to kill, and no amount of training can prevent an accident if the wrong conditions arise. 6 humans die in Canada and the US each year from Pit Bulls. At a minimun, owners should be forced to purchase liability insurance. If dog fighting were an accepted sport, i'd be OK with them in controlled conditions (like a farm), but it isn't, so we don't need.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-05-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Dog racists. I had a Staffordshire Terrier and she was the sweetest dog in the world.

^ My 70 lb black lab X is also one of the kindest, gentlest dogs you could ever imagine. I also fostered a 120 lb Rottie for about a year a while back, and he was a big teddy bear. So many misconceptions about dogs.
    Parkdale

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yeah. Obviously behavior does have a genetic component and some breeds are somewhat more aggressive, but the majority of it comes down to the training and owners. I think it's unfortunate that pit bulls have been subject to such fear mongering.

Although actually, looks like the statistics do back that up to a large extent: http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...tt-clifton.php

Unfortunately you can't tell how those dogs were raised, and there's no question that people frequently raise their pit bulls and Rottweilers to be aggressive. The % of total dogs is also very telling for Rottweilers, they're quite rare dogs compared to pit bulls but are responsible for a large number of deaths as well.

Unfortunately you can't tell how those dogs were raised, and there's no question that people frequently raise their pit bulls and Rottweilers to be aggressive.
    So how do we solve the problem of loser dog owners who, either intentionally or through neglect, train their dogs to be antisocial?

^ I'd like to see stiffer penalties and more enforcement in those cases.

There've been some abasolutely horrorific cases of animal abuse in this province over the past few years. It seems that the penalties doled out by the courts in those cases pale in comparison to the social/ vigilante justice administered by people who are disgused by those acts
    Parkdale

Well as someone who has been pitbull attacked (thank God the owner wasn't far behind) and who has been put on the run by a couple of "sweet" larger dogs, I say my right to walk around my neighborhood without fear of dog attack is paramount. These little 5 lb dogs can be agressive, but I can fight them off. Fighting off a 50# rott isn't so easy.

You have the right to not be attacked by dogs, just as people have the right to own big dogs as long as they are responsible owners, which 95% of them are.

Banning dogs over a certain size is just a knee jerk reaction. Everyone has had a bad experience with a big dog at some point or another. You are hardly alone in that case.
    Parkdale

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I don't mind dogs, but I don't like when dog owners assume that I want their dog all over me. Most people are responsible with their dogs on leashes, I agree, but every once in a while I see someone walking their dog without a leash or a very long one that does not provide control.

Your dog is well behaved/friendly? That's good to know, but I don't trust him/her anyways and that doesn't mean I him/her in my personal space. That applies to all dogs, big or small.

No breed is more dangerous than another

Dogs tempermant comes from how they were raised.

Take 'vicious breed X' dog and raise it properly from a pup and it wont be a 'killer'. Regardless of breed. 100% of how the animal is raised.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It's not 100% how they are raised, that's just plain false. There's no question that temperament is affected by breed. I agree that it's primarily about proper training, but claiming that's the only factor is every bit as false as claiming that some breeds are inherently dangerous no matter what. As usual, it's not black and white.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^^ A Pomeranian raised to kill is not as dangerous as a Rottweiler raised to kill, that is the difference.

It's not 100% how they are raised, that's just plain false. There's no question that temperament is affected by breed. I agree that it's primarily about proper training, but claiming that's the only factor is every bit as false as claiming that some breeds are inherently dangerous no matter what. As usual, it's not black and white.
    Is is how they were raised.

Take the most vicious breed you can think of, raise it properly from a pup and you wont have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by azzey View Post
    ^^ A Pomeranian raised to kill is not as dangerous as a Rottweiler raised to kill, that is the difference.
    Fair enough. Raised to kill is the point. Any large breed dog raised to attack/kill will be more dangerous than a small breed raised to do the same.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

A Ford F350 when driven irresponsibly will cause more carnage than a smart car, that doesn't mean they should be banned.

It's a matter of perspective, when we lived in Ontario two Poms a couple of properties down went on a rampage killed two cats, then turned the toddler they lived with and almost killed her as well.

All dog breeds at some point in their heritage have killed or been used as such. Any dog and any breed is about two steps away from an adult wolf. Through selective breeding and rearing into adulthood we encourage puppyhood traits to remain, but the potential remains.

No such thing as "bad dogs or dangerous dogs" just ***** owners. All dogs are like handguns Poms (BB gun) and Pits (.50 cal Desert Eagle) And both should be handled with as much care.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade
    Is is how they were raised.

Take the most vicious breed you can think of, raise it properly from a pup and you wont have problems.
    Again, just plain false.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...by-killed.html

It's safe to say that the dog was raised properly in that case, considering they were in the business of owning dogs. It had never shown aggression before. At the end of the day they're animals, and can be unpredictable.

I agree that how they are raised and trained is paramount. But not all breeds are created equal in temperament nor in size/strength. Some truly are riskier breeds for those reasons.

Thats a newborn. Dogs in general are not a great mix with babies. Accident can happen with dogs and babies in the mix. No where in that article does it state that 'do to Huskies predeposition to violence...'
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

There are traits that exist in breeds of dogs. I have a Sheba Inu, a 2,000 year old breed that is the closest-related to a wolf. You don't take them off leash, ever, because they were bred for hunting small mammals and don't come back if they take off chasing something. Yes, there are some shiba's that return, just like there are some pit bulls that are gentle, but you're talking about special dogs that someone has managed to train the natural traits out of that particular dog. Will I ever take my dog off leash? No way.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Thats a newborn. Dogs in general are not a great mix with babies. Accident can happen with dogs and babies in the mix. No where in that article does it state that 'do to Huskies predeposition to violence...'
    Certain behaviors are more prevalent in certain breeds. Whether that's being laid back, or high strung, or an instinct to fetch or swim, to protect owners, to herd livestock, or whatever else. And aggression is most definitely one of them. Yes, you can train most of it out, but claiming that some behaviors are not specific to breeds is just plain wrong.

And again, look at the statistics I posted earlier. Pit bulls, Rottweilers, and Huskies are in fact responsible for something like 60-70% of fatal dog attacks. How much of that is training vs. innate behavior is impossible to say, but it's certainly not entirely one or the other.

I know that I never trained my dog to fetch or swim, but she's a natural at both

I agree that some dogs are predisposed to certain behaviors, and a lot of how those behaviors are managed comes down to the owner
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    ... some dogs are predisposed to certain behaviors, and a lot of how those behaviors are managed comes down to the owner
    yep

The reality is that the City does nothing to regulate restricted dogs anyways so it doesn't matter what the bylaw says. I have been going to the leash-free area by the zoo for over 10 years and often see the mixed-breed pit bulls that are supposed to be restricted. However, they are allowed to run free like any other dog there. At the very least, the City should run patrols through there to at least partially enforce this bylaw. It's sad to say, but many of these dogs are owned by the backwards-baseball cap/loud truck type of people who likely have not taken the time to properly train their dog.

I have to give credit to Gord with respect to his comments regarding Shiba Inus. They do have a certain temperment and the good owners tend to keep them on a leash because of it. I discourage my dog from saying "hello" to a Shiba unless I ask the owner if it's ok. The reality is that some dogs are more aggressive than others but in the end it often comes down to the owner and how he/she has trained and socialized their dog. However, the consequence of having an aggressive Shiba is much less than having an aggressive pit bull. Hence, the need to have (AND ENFORCE) a restricted dog bylaw.

The worst dog in our neighbourhood is a german shepard. It has attacked two other dogs already. German shepards are high on the list of problematic dogs (to other dogs and people) yet they are never banned or restricted.

Breed plays a major part in how a dog will behave. Training can compensate for much, if not all of this. Unfortunately, poor owners are a problem and you just can't prevent poorly trained dogs.

Yup, Shiba's think they rule the world and are often aggressive to other dogs. Mine is fine with about 10% of the dogs out there, and I hate it when people let their dog approach mine without asking first. If someone asks, I tell them he may be a bit aggressive, and we figure a way to let them approach each other. I had someone let there Pomeranian approach mine on Whyte out of nowhere, and the dog got nipped. The lady started bitching to me, so I had to tell her she was an ***** to allow her dog to run up to another dog she knows nothing about. That really ****** me off - I don't want my dog getting into situations where he can be aggressive, and she caused that.

Quote Originally Posted by WestendMark View Post
    I have been going to the leash-free area by the zoo for over 10 years and often see the mixed-breed pit bulls that are supposed to be restricted. However, they are allowed to run free like any other dog there.

The worst dog in our neighbourhood is a german shepard. It has attacked two other dogs already. German shepards are high on the list of problematic dogs (to other dogs and people) yet they are never banned or restricted.
    We've owned Pits and Mastiffs in he past. Our take is Staffordshire Terriers, or Pits, or any combination should NEVER be off-leash, especially with other dogs around. The same goes for Shepherds and many other breeds. Unfortunately, the vast majority of dog owners are completely naive, lazy, and have no idea what they're doing.

Owners to blame, Edmonton man says after daughter's dog killed by pit bull
    'If you know they have that ability to attack another dog, you have to keep them on a leash or a harness'
    By Travis McEwan, CBC News Posted: Feb 13, 2017 4:19 PM MT Last Updated: Feb 13, 2017 4:19 PM MT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...bull-1.3980952

Any dog can have bad tendencies. A friend of mine had a cocker spaniel. Big doe eyes. I had known that dog for a long time and never had a problem until one day I sat down beside it and out of the blue it started baring it's teeth. After that I never trusted it or liked it.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

There is a big difference between baring its teeth and killing another dog. Pit bulls kill; cocker spaniels don't. It's not just a case of "bad tendencies".

Badly trained dogs kill. Regardless of type of dog. Please lets not get into this 'all pitbulls are bad' ******** again
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Pitbulls have been bred to fight, bred to kill. There have been dozens of cases of supposedly perfectly treated pitbulls, where something snaps, and they injur or kill. Often they kill small kids, its unclear why, other than their breeding. I honestly think Pitbull owners are just anti-establishment show offs - "look at me, I'm so tough, I can handle this dog.". Actually you can't, you can't just turn back decades of breeding. You can domestic a fox (achieved in Russia over a few decades), and maybe in time Pitbulls will be domesticated, but right now, they are all ticking time bombs. From that article quoted above:

A five-year review of dog-bite injuries from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, published in 2009 in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, found that almost 51 percent of the attacks were from pit bulls, almost 9 percent were from Rottweilers and 6 percent were from mixes of those two breeds.

In other words, a whopping two-thirds of the hospital's dog-attack injuries involved just two breeds, pit bulls and Rottweilers.

Other studies confirm these statistics: A 15-year study published in 2009 in the American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology revealed that pit bulls, Rottweilers and German shepherds were responsible for the majority of fatal dog attacks in the state of Kentucky.

And a 2011 study from the Annals of Surgery revealed that "attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs."

The authors of that 2011 study go on to say, "Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduces the U.S. mortality rates related to dog bites."
    http://www.livescience.com/27145-are...dangerous.html
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-02-2017 at 03:25 PM.

All dogs do not kill other dogs. Saying a cocker spaniel or a pomeranian poses the same risk as a pit bull is silly.

Not all pit bulls are bad but clearly many are. Whether its their fault or poor training by the owner it really doesn't matter.

About that cocker spaniel I mentioned. I think any mid to big size dog can be dangerous. A dog does not have to be a pit bull to be dangerous and unpredictable. Sure an adult can maybe defend themselves or get out the way of a dog, but a young child, baby, toddler cannot. I would put any mid to big dog in the same category as a pit bull. Nobody can be 100% sure of what a dog is thinking or is going to do. They all have the ability to do damage and the bigger and more powerful the dog the more damage they can do. Now think about it, would anyone leave a youngster alone with a any type dog for any length of time?.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Most breeds don't have the same kind of strength in the jaws that crush whatever gets between them. Pitbuls were bred to kill in war and fighting. These tendencies don't just disappear. I've lost a dog to one of these creatures and the owner claimed it was the first time anything like this had ever happened... once is one time too many. This last summer i had another of these beasts go after my new puppy, but thankfully the injury was minor. I will never trust one of them and neither should anyone else.

Its absolutely amazing that people still trot out the ridiculous "Pitbulls are just like any dog" defences. Pitbulls are inherently dangerous, have killer instinct, and jaw strength to crush and maim.

Theres a reason why they are banned increasingly in countless countries in the World. They should be banned here.

http://www.banpitbulls.org/where/whe...ternationally/

Its Ok to have an opinion, but why express an opinion that is so obviously not accurate.

Heres just a look at some of the incidents in Canada. The incidents resulting in the bans in Ontario and Montreal were especially horrific.

http://www.nationalpitbullvictimawar...ttacks-canada/

That's an absolute epidemic of attacks.

This link should remove any doubt whatsoever on which breed is the most dangerous. (Article is summary of US and Canada btw)

http://17barks.blogspot.ca/2014/12/d...-nov-2014.html

Those that have their head in the sand on this issue seem immune to any of the information that is out there. I expect they will continue to be.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-02-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Should you ever be in the position where you need to get a pit bull to release something, you're supposed to shove a finger/thumb up its butt. Apparently it snaps them out of their killer trance.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

One of the interesting things reading through the literature is how many Pitbull owners are so vocal in trying to support their choice and are dismissive of any attempts at breed control. That in itself is not surprising. What is revealing is how closely those individuals arguments resemble NRA type arguments and whether or not in many cases the choice of the animal is FOR its ability to attack/defend. At least subconsciously. The next trait observed in the defenses is a resistance to any type of Govt intervention and the "nanny state" references are off the charts. Again very consistent philosophy to the equally offensive present day "Right to bear arms". With the same argument that pitbulls, guns, don't kill people, their owners improperly using them do. This ignoring the Occam's razor logic that if Gun, Pitbull, don't exist then that mechanism for death by those inherently dangerous entities doesn't exist. Too much logic I guess.

Next, the inanity of some of the pro pitbull arguments is incredible and engages one if only on a comedic level. I actually ended up reading through gems like poisonous snakes, crocodiles, poisonous spiders, bees, bears, kill more people than pitbulls. Completely ignoring that Pitbulls would not be a naturally recurring species had individuals not introduced and specifically wanted those breeds. i.e. that Pitbull owners, themselves, have released and furthered this plague onto mankind. Also ignoring, completely, not even aware of it, that people attacked by bears, crocodiles, wild animals etc have a choice of avoiding wildlife if they are traumatised from a previous attack or if they just want to avoid that risk in anycase. Pitbulls, due to the ignorance of their owners have been introduced into every City, civilized area, thus rendering no places as safe from these aggressive beasts.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-02-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

And all too often the trash owning these animals don't give a flying F about anyone other than themselves, leaving their monsters off leash or roaming the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    One of the interesting things reading through the literature is how many Pitbull owners are so vocal in trying to support their choice and are dismissive of any attempts at breed control. That in itself is not surprising. What is revealing is how closely those individuals arguments resemble NRA type arguments and whether or not in many cases the choice of the animal is FOR its ability to attack/defend. At least subconsciously. The next trait observed in the defenses is a resistance to any type of Govt intervention and the "nanny state" references are off the charts. Again very consistent philosophy to the equally offensive present day "Right to bear arms". With the same argument that pitbulls, guns, don't kill people, their owners improperly using them do. This ignoring the Occam's razor logic that if Gun, Pitbull, don't exist then that mechanism for death by those inherently dangerous entities doesn't exist. Too much logic I guess.

Next, the inanity of some of the pro pitbull arguments is incredible and engages one if only on a comedic level. I actually ended up reading through gems like poisonous snakes, crocodiles, poisonous spiders, bees, bears, kill more people than pitbulls. Completely ignoring that Pitbulls would not be a naturally recurring species had individuals not introduced and specifically wanted those breeds. i.e. that Pitbull owners, themselves, have released and furthered this plague onto mankind. Also ignoring, completely, not even aware of it, that people attacked by bears, crocodiles, wild animals etc have a choice of avoiding wildlife if they are traumatised from a previous attack or if they just want to avoid that risk in anycase. Pitbulls, due to the ignorance of their owners have been introduced into every City, civilized area, thus rendering no places as safe from these aggressive beasts.
    I think a lot of pit bull owners live in denial. It's like the women who marries a wife beater. She thinks she has the know how and smarts to be THEE one to change him. Somehow she'll work her magic and the guy changes. It's the same as pit bull owners. The think they are the only ones that hold the key to taming the dogs in bred tendencies. Usually ends up as epic fails. Just on their lock jaw mechanism alone people should be extra wary of the breed. Animals are unpredictable and dogs are no different.