Thread: What mid size sedan do you recommend?

Default What mid size sedan do you recommend?

I was wondering what Edmontonians like in mid sized sedans these days.

I have a 97 Camry that is going through it's last phase and am looking for a new reliable mid sized sedan that is similar.

After doing some research I finds the Toyota quality is not what it used to be. I think the older cars are better in many respects.

My choices are still the Camry (only 2012), Subaru Legacy and Honda Accord. I wonder if I should wait for the newly redesigned Nissan Altima and Honda Accords?

I don't like the Hyundai Sonata as I feel the bumps on this car more than the Camry. I am leery about Korean cars like Kia Optima etc. as they were bad in the past. The Optima however has the best styling of all the cars. Toyota's still look ultra conservative to me. I haven't bought a US car for over 20 years as I was burned by their bad quality.

Can anyone make some suggestions based on the late model cars they drive now or had experience with?
    Last edited by Eminent; 21-05-2012 at 09:17 AM.

C2E Posting Power

Personally, of the asian brands, I have always gravitated towards Honda, as their cars seem the most dynamic to drive with a firmer suspension. As you mentioned feeling bumps though, this probably isn't a positive quality for you. And as for waiting for for the new model, I personally think all of Honda's latest generation cars have looked worse then the last.

I drove a Subaru Legacy for almost a year (company car) and definitely had it's pros and cons. I personally thought it looked kind of boring and seeemed thirsty on gas. But, all wheel drive was great in the winter, and I quited liked how it drove. Seemed a good balance of smoothness and "driving" feel. Didn't have it long enough to comment on reliability though.

I've also been burned by american cars in the past, but I have heard nothing but praise from people who have some of the post-bailout era cars. I know friends/coworkers who have the chevy cruze, buick lacrosse, and new ford taurus - and they all love them. Might be worth at least a test drive.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I'd lean towards the Honda or Nissan. But you may want to check out the ford fusion, I had was a rental a few weeks ago and quite liked it. Not sure on the price point though.

I'd rather C2E than work!

We have owned 2 Hondas and have found them to be very reliable. Our son bought a Mazda 3 and I quite like it. Has lots of power and the ride is very smooth. I would steer clear of the Ford Fusion as there have several reports of trouble with this car lately on the news ,and Ford refusing to issue a recall.
    Last edited by Barry N; 21-05-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

People say that buying a car that is 1 to 3 years old with low kilometers is the best way to go due to the large depreciation. I did that with my old car and would do it again on a Camry except I have read bad reports about some model years. For example, the 2011 model has transmission slippage problems and poor interior quality.

It came as a shock to me that the newer models are of lower quality these days.

I am looking for a car that has a built in usb port integrated into it's sound system. I like to listen to music through a usb thumbstick.

This severely limits my search to the later model years 2010-2011 unfortunately. They all have an auxiliary but I also want to be able to control my iPod. The 2012 Mazda 6 and Honda Accords to my surprise do not have usb ports.

After 2 weeks. I narrowed my search down to the 2012 Toyota Camry or 2012 Subaru. Yes, the Subaru is worst on gas mileage, so I have to test drive some more cars. Maybe I will give some American cars a try. Chvey Malibu, Buick Verano come to mind.

I've seen the Ford Fusion but the styling seems dated. I don't like the looks of that car.

Others I have not tested are the Mits Lancer, VW Passat, Acura TL (maybe expensive and out of my under 30K range).

Have I missed out on any gmes?
    Last edited by Eminent; 21-05-2012 at 01:21 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I was really lucky a year ago. Bought a loaded 2007 Kia Magentis with only 11.000 km on it, for $12,000. Bought it from a widow who I knew. She hardly drove it after her husband died. I love the car. Very quiet, smooth, comfortable, roomy and economical to drive.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Long Term Contributor

Hyundai sonata v6 kills most of the rest of that market IMO. This is after driving it against:

Fusion
    Altima
    Camry
    Taurus

Always like the accord though
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Eminent View Post
    I am looking for a car that has a built in usb port integrated into it's sound system. I like to listen to music through a usb thumbstick.
    Unless you don't like the look of a third-party stereo, I'd look for the right vehicle then worry about the $200 stereo. Especially when you could save a few thousand dollars looking at used. Of course, some (like me) prefer 100% factory look.

After 2 weeks. I narrowed my search down to the 2012 Toyota Camry or 2012 Subaru. Yes, the Subaru is worst on gas mileage, so I have to test drive some more cars. Maybe I will give some American cars a try. Chvey Malibu, Buick Verano come to mind.
    I'd recommend the U.S. test drives in part because I find the mid-size vehicles so similar in quality that it's hard. Even Chrysler's 200 (replaces the lousy Sebring) is competitive...well, almost - skip the test drive. But I'd be surprised if you find something significant better. Of course, if it turns out to be "as good" at a lower price point....

I assume you've read much of the noise about how the 2012 Camry doesn't exceed the competition, how it's not a worthy upgrade in the Camry tradition? And presumably ignored it?

Good luck with the search!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFlyAway View Post
    Unless you don't like the look of a third-party stereo, I'd look for the right vehicle then worry about the $200 stereo. Especially when you could save a few thousand dollars looking at used. Of course, some (like me) prefer 100% factory look.

I'd recommend the U.S. test drives in part because I find the mid-size vehicles so similar in quality that it's hard. Even Chrysler's 200 (replaces the lousy Sebring) is competitive...well, almost - skip the test drive. But I'd be surprised if you find something significant better. Of course, if it turns out to be "as good" at a lower price point....

I assume you've read much of the noise about how the 2012 Camry doesn't exceed the competition, how it's not a worthy upgrade in the Camry tradition? And presumably ignored it?

Good luck with the search!
    I put a cheap third party stereo with usb into in 97 Camry and it works fine. Nothing fancy but the Camry had 2 slots allocated for this standard size. Nowadays I wonder if a third party stereo can fit in without looking out of place of ugly on the console.

My choice now is the 2012 Camry unless I can find something else better.

Go take a Buick Regal for a rip......or a Dodge Charger. All these asian brands are just boring, and overrated. Their plastic is cheap & scratches, they are noisy, and they're rough.

The last time we rented a car we were given a Regal. Piece of junk... the transmission hunted all over the place, it was very uncomfortable to drive and ugly dated styling. Dodges look good but the build quality and longevity is very poor.

Honda/ Toyota/ Nissan.
    Parkdale

Long thread on 2011 transmission problems. I was looking into a 2011 but that made me hesitate. Is it that the newer cars behave differently in regards to the transmissions or is it just a Toyota problem?

http://townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f20a47c/0

I'm surprised at how nice the new model Subaru Legacy's are. I'd be tempted on that, Subaru keeps its value well to.

Otherwise, not sure why people still buy sedans. I think crossovers offer more practicality for buck, and are better suited to our weather conditons. Venza is a pretty good option, basically just a jacked up Camry station wagon.

C2E Posting Power

The crossover vs car debate all depends on your priorities really. I personally value the driving experience over weekend trips to Ikea, but yes - the extra space of a crossover is especially welcomed if you are transporting more then 2 adults regularly. The Venza is a nice vehicle, and so is the Mazda CX-5. I'm not much of a fan of Honda's accourd crossover thing though.

I would be careful about putting too much faith that a crossover is vastly superior to a car in winter though. The ground clearance of most crossovers is generally not much greater then a sedan's. And since they are built off of sedan platforms, most crossovers lack things like locking differentials, low range gears, and the engine torque that make suvs good offroad / in the snow. IMO, a good set of winter tires will do more to improve winter driving then the shape of your car will.

C2E Posting Power

Also to follow up on your question, (auto) transmission technology has changed quite a lot - even in the last 5 years. The craze for fuel efficiency has manufactures trying to cram more and more gears into an auto transmission box. High-end brands are even stating to incorporate double-clutch systems that make auto transmissions more fuel efficient then manuals. As you can imagine though, the more complex the transmissions get, the more that can go wrong. I would definitely try to do as much research on quality. Replacing a transmission is no fun experience.

One extra point though, is that Nissan and a few other cars have switched to using continuously variable (CVT) transmissions. Since they have no staged gears, effectively an unlimited number of gears, they get great fuel economy (the engine is essentially always revving close to peak efficiency). But, they do sometimes feel a bit weird to drive since most of us are use to traditional transmissions. They can also produce a rather annoying droning sound from the engine. Nissan actually has the car emulate staged gears in their transmissions to help alleviate some of these difference for the driver, although CVTs will always feel a bit sluggish to accelerate because the transmissions can't handle as much torque. Theoretically CVTs are much simpler devices (less to break), but they haven't been on cars for a huge amount of time to completely quash reliability concerns. Just something to take note though.

Personally I'd recommend an s2000 though. Who needs more than 2 in a car and a set of clubs in the trunk.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by halocore View Post
    I would be careful about putting too much faith that a crossover is vastly superior to a car in winter though. The ground clearance of most crossovers is generally not much greater then a sedan's. And since they are built off of sedan platforms, most crossovers lack things like locking differentials, low range gears, and the engine torque that make suvs good offroad / in the snow. IMO, a good set of winter tires will do more to improve winter driving then the shape of your car will.
    I find the big thing for me is visibility, crossovers are typically a little bit higher up, which makes a difference in traffic and when the conditions get mucky. Also safer (now that rollovers don't happen very ofen thanks to stability control, crossovers do better than sedans in real world accidents). AWD is nice having converted from 2wd, I noticed the difference. Sure it won't save you if you go off road, but most will handle any suburb/city street.

I've never been a fan of winter tires for city driving (just a plot to make dealers money), and not needed if you have AWD in the city. If worried, All Weather tires offer the snow rating and 4 season driving, one day I expect they will be standard ahead of All Season, although the dealers have an incentive not to do this.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-05-2012 at 07:15 PM.

C2E SME

I've never bought rims or tires from a dealer, so I fail to see how it's a plot to make them money. I also fail to see how AWD can reduce stopping distances. I haven't used "all weather" tires personally, but I swear by summer performance and winter grip tires. With or without AWD.

Only problem is it can be a pain (actually, impossible) to find W or Y rated (270+ km/h), 255 R18, run-flat winter tires. I had to give up on the run-flat part, so should I ever get a flat in the winter I'm more or less screwed without a tow-truck. Which is fine, I hate changing tires in the winter anyway.

It's difficult to find much hard data on grip on "all weather" tires, but I really doubt that they're as effective as a dedicated winter tire.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 21-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

First One is Always Free

2012 Kia Optima...kia's may have been bad in the past but they've come a long way...the optima is a beautiful vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I've never bought rims or tires from a dealer, so I fail to see how it's a plot to make them money.
    They could offer All Weathers, but most choose not to. I receive constant advertising my dealer on the need for winter tires, there is quite the industry around this.

As to stopping distance, I just drive to the conditions and leave enough space. Only advantage of AWD is just when slipping on a quiet street or in a particulalry deep bit of snow on a back street, maybe some traction in corners, but its still useful I find, to each their own though. I have found driving easier since getting a crossover in winter, and summer (thanks to visibility), and no performance loss. Perhaps a small fuel economy price, but its not significant versus comparable sedan, and the extra space comes in handy sometimes.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-05-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooter View Post
    2012 Kia Optima...kia's may have been bad in the past but they've come a long way...the optima is a beautiful vehicle
    I like the exteriors design of the car and the fact that it has a lot of hp for 4.

I don't like the fact that the only colour for the dash is black though. I felt the ride as a bit more comfortable than the Sonata but not as cushy as the Camry. They also want $28K for the base model which is a bit more than the Camry base. They do give you a bit more things like fog lamps etc.

I didn't like the small humming noise it continually makes even at low speeds.

All in all it is a nice car, but who knows if it will stand the test of time like a Toyota.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    They could offer All Weathers, but most choose not to. I receive constant advertising my dealer on the need for winter tires, there is quite the industry around this.
    I have wondered how all weather's preform. The main thing with winter tires though is not the tread pattern / depth, but the difference in material that makes the tire. "All season" tires are all season if you live in Vancouver or North Carolina. Even by 0 C, the compounds of rubber in all seasons essentially freeze and become hard. So even without considering snow, you're always going to have way less grip in cold temperatures. I have wondered how the all weather tires are able to achieve this, without the reverse problem of the winter compounds wearing out fast in hot summer weather.

If you have some experience (and space) to work on cars, the cheap way to do winter tires is to go to a place like Tire Warehouse, or even cad tire, and just get winters installed once on their own rims. Pick up a $20 electric impact wrench, and then you can just change the wheels yourself each season. I can change them on all our cars in around an hour. Other then the cost of cheap steel rims and plastic covers, it's basically no extra cost in the long run since you'll only end up driving on each set for half the year.

Why a mid size though, if you don't need the room you might consider a smaller car like a Corolla, Cruz or Focus, to me the fuel savings are more than worth the bumpier ride.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by halocore
    I have wondered how the all weather tires are able to achieve this, without the reverse problem of the winter compounds wearing out fast in hot summer weather.
    As far as I understand it, the rubber used for them is just a bit softer than all-seasons, but not as soft as full winters. So you'll get a bit better traction in the winter, and a bit worse wear in the summer. They're still a compromise like all-seasons, but lean more towards winter than they do.

^basically yes.

I still cannot believe people do not get dedicated winter tires in this province. Personally I think they should be mandatory like in Quebec.

This leads me in to the whole crossover debate where, just like all season tires, they do a little of everything but nothing great IMO. If you want clearance and 'safety' get an SUV, if you want car like handling and fuel economy get a car.
    www.decl.org

If I got another mid-size sedan, it would likely be a Fusion or Sonata - both have been killing the competition on build quality reports, look great, and are above the competition in features for the price. Camry has fallen way down the ladder on all accounts. Accords and Altimas have simply become too ugly to be seen in.

Personally, I'm committed to small crossovers now simply due to our winter weather. That little bit of extra clearance makes a world of difference in snow. I sure do enjoy driving small sporty cars though... we're just the wrong weather for it.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

I don't see how clearance is even an issue unless you live on an acreage or something. I've never had an issue driving sports sedans/coupes with only a few inches of clearance. Even the Icefields Parkway isn't an issue in the dead of winter.

^concur. I drove my s2000 through 3 winters without any concern until spring ruts in some residential areas, but even those were minor in nature.
    www.decl.org

The insurance rates on Fords are higher than the completion I am finding. F150's and rangers being some of the worst. Followed by Fusions and their other sedans.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

We're trading up to an ES300 from an Acura TL (partners' car) and while I agree about never really having a problem with a FWD sedan that is low to the ground, having my 4WD Tacoma has been really nice on days when the roads are bad. I am trading the truck in at some point too and it will be replaced by a 4Runner, namely for the clearance and 4WD, and the hauling capability. A little 2 seater wind-up toy is really not practical for us.
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I don't see how clearance is even an issue unless you live on an acreage or something. I've never had an issue driving sports sedans/coupes with only a few inches of clearance. Even the Icefields Parkway isn't an issue in the dead of winter.
    Cleared roads shouldn't be a problem for any vehicle if you have the proper tires. That said, every vehicle I've ever seen stuck in Edmonton alleys has been a car, with the odd small truck (Frontier, Ranger) thrown into the mix.

Clearance absolutely makes a difference if there's high snow. Simple physics.

Also, the complete lack of standards (or adherence) for curb height in this city makes me cringe, and is another reason whey I like a slightly higher vehicle. Less scuffed fenders and rusty door bottoms.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Clearance absolutely makes a difference if there's high snow. Simple physics.
    I can get my Tacoma into my lot at Pigeon lake in the middle of winter with the road unplowed.... in 4 low with the limited slip diffs and really good tires I can push snow up over the hood before I stop grinding foward

The partners' car can't navigate the back alley for days after a snowfall... which really isn't that big a deal, but yes, Clearance is a good thing
    Parkdale

C2E SME

I guess I hadn't thought of alleys, good point. Otherwise though it's pretty rare for clearance to be a concern in normal commuter use, even in Edmonton. Alleys and acreages excepted. My brother has been driving an R8 with winter tires the past two winters, for example. Great winter beater

I do <3 my AWD and winter tires, for sure.

'My brother has been driving an R8 with winter tires the past two winters, for example. Great winter beater'

I know the one, he is one of my heros.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I find the big thing for me is visibility, crossovers are typically a little bit higher up, which makes a difference in traffic and when the conditions get mucky.
    Most of the visibility issues I have happen in parking lots, where being higher up just gives you bigger blind spots and make it harder to tell where the edges of your vehicle are.

^backup / 360 cameras in newer models solve that. I just find in traffic it is a lot easier to see given how so many vehicles are trucks and crossovers now, I don't like looking into fenders/bumpers all the time.

^don't contribute to the 'problem', contribute to the solution
    www.decl.org

N n
    nn n nokian!
    Nnnn
    n n

How do you people negotiate a car deal?

I just bought one this week and used an auto broker. The experience was amazing as he dealt/negotiated on my behalf which means the dealerships can't use their sleazeball tactics.

In the end, the broker gives you a breakdown of car cost to dealership, profits, etc. so it's a very transparent process. I would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    I just bought one this week and used an auto broker. The experience was amazing as he dealt/negotiated on my behalf which means the dealerships can't use their sleazeball tactics.

In the end, the broker gives you a breakdown of car cost to dealership, profits, etc. so it's a very transparent process. I would highly recommend it.
    Did you use car cost Canada on the web?

I'd agree with Ian.. S2000 all the way.

I did use Car Cost Canada for my 2005 Subaru Legacy.. I saved $6k with it.

I hate playing these stupid games with the sales people at the dealership.

Today I went in to test drive a Hybrid and they pressured me mildly.

They said they will have a private sale next week only for preferred customers.

These guys are full of marketing gimmicks. Maybe it is better to use a auto broker?

I read where to get the best deal you play the sellers off each other via e-mail. You also have to know the invoice cost so you can work from that base upwards. Has anyone every done this?

A few years ago I went to a Ford dealership which tends to be always in war with the "big guys" to finish #1 (as if I care). I was looking for a specific car Corolla with power windows and doors they had one on their website. I drive there look around the lot, find nothing.

Finally after a while of looking a salesman comes around and informs me they had sold it 2 weeks early. My response you can't be bothered to update your inventory? Then he tries to sell me another Corolla, I get in, no pw/pd. Then he tries a 2nd, he says this is what I'm looking for, I get in and again no pw/pd, after that I chewed him out with if you really wanted to be #1 then update your [email protected]#$% website and left to buy what I was looking for elsewhere.

If you don't like the price or its not what you want then don't be afraid to walk away. Somebody else will want your business.

Seems like there is an art and skill to negotiating few of us have compared to the trained salesmen. Never be in a rush to buy and walk out for the best deal.

Sometimes if a car is a hot item there's less room to deal, and certainly in the States you get more bang for the buck. Most of the web info is about buying U.S. cars which used to be a good idea for Canadians until they changed the laws. for new cars.

I shopped aorund for aftermarket protection and you save a bundle. The make a lot on this and financing. They probably hate all cash buyers.

^Hate cash buyers? Probably not. Is there less flexibility to find a "win-win" for the customer and the dealership? Absolutely. There's one less variable in play - the monthly payment - for the dealership to adjust in order to make the customer happy while preserving a profit margin for the dealer. But a half-decent sales manager will work with what they have, and do their best to make the sale work.

The internet sales bit works great in really large market with a huge amount of competition. Smaller markets - like Toyota in Edmonton w/ 5 dealers - it doesn't always work as well. That's where your broker can make a difference. A good broker will know the dealers and understand what should be a win-win for each dealer. Sale wraps quickly; you're happy with the knowledge that the broker found the "best price" possible. I haven't used an auto broker, but the couple of people who did (different companies) both seemed happy at the end of the process. Isn't happiness the end goal? $200 on $30K, while nice, isn't as important to me as being happy.

If you want the lowest price, have you considered importing a new vehicle from the U.S.?

^Hate cash buyers? Probably not. Is there less flexibility to find a "win-win" for the customer and the dealership? Absolutely. There's one less variable in play - the monthly payment - for the dealership to adjust in order to make the customer happy while preserving a profit margin for the dealer. But a half-decent sales manager will work with what they have, and do their best to make the sale work.

The internet sales bit works great in really large market with a huge amount of competition. Smaller markets - like Toyota in Edmonton w/ 5 dealers - it doesn't always work as well. That's where your broker can make a difference. A good broker will know the dealers and understand what should be a win-win for each dealer. Sale wraps quickly; you're happy with the knowledge that the broker found the "best price" possible. I haven't used an auto broker, but the couple of people who did (different companies) both seemed happy at the end of the process. Isn't happiness the end goal? $200 on $30K, while nice, isn't as important to me as being happy.

If you want the lowest price, have you considered importing a new vehicle from the U.S.?
    I already asked about importing from the US. They don't allow new cars anymore and the warranty may be void with some car companies.

I think I will deal by myself as I know the invoice price and can ask them for other goodies like tinting in person.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post

Did you use car cost Canada on the web?
    The broker I used was recommended by a friend who had brought several new cars through him. He's based out of TO but has connections throughout the country. PM me if you want his contact. It's worth a shot and there is no commitment.

I already asked about importing from the US. They don't allow new cars anymore and the warranty may be void with some car companies.
    Sorry, who is "they" that doesn't allow importing? If Toyota, getting a U.S.-based entity (like a broker) to purchase is fine. And the folks in Arizona have absolutely no problem selling to the snowbirds...showing a utility bill or a local (cell) phone number might be necessary.

As for warranty, while I'm not aware of anyone "voiding" the warranty, some Canadian car companies will not directly pay for warranty work on a vehicle purchased outside the country, some make it very hard for that work to get covered. Since you've mentioned Toyota, my understanding is that the local dealer has to get reimbursed from Toyota USA. Not sure what the local dealers do - maybe some make you try to get approval and reimbursement, maybe some make the phone call and do the paperwork so you don't have to pay out-of-pocket. Any info on that from your inquiries?

Of course, there are many other potential challenges with importing a vehicle that should deter most buyers.

I think I will deal by myself as I know the invoice price and can ask them for other goodies like tinting in person.
    Good luck with the purchase! From your posts, I suspect you'll do very well - let us know how it goes! Did you find any difference between the invoice prices you received? I'm a little leery about these free Canadian sites that won't post the prices, but e-mail them instead.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

l. You also have to know the invoice cost so you can work from that base upwards. Has anyone every done this?
    I haven't done this, but two of my good friends have. Got the car cost invoice price, went to the dealer and said I'll pay you $XXX over the price and this is why. The managers just look at the price for a minute and then say 'ok'. No haggling.
    In one case it was $350 and in the other case it was $750.
    They were both brand new hyundai veracruz suvs.

Sorry, who is "they" that doesn't allow importing? If Toyota, getting a U.S.-based entity (like a broker) to purchase is fine. And the folks in Arizona have absolutely no problem selling to the snowbirds...showing a utility bill or a local (cell) phone number might be necessary.

As for warranty, while I'm not aware of anyone "voiding" the warranty, some Canadian car companies will not directly pay for warranty work on a vehicle purchased outside the country, some make it very hard for that work to get covered. Since you've mentioned Toyota, my understanding is that the local dealer has to get reimbursed from Toyota USA. Not sure what the local dealers do - maybe some make you try to get approval and reimbursement, maybe some make the phone call and do the paperwork so you don't have to pay out-of-pocket. Any info on that from your inquiries?

Of course, there are many other potential challenges with importing a vehicle that should deter most buyers.

Good luck with the purchase! From your posts, I suspect you'll do very well - let us know how it goes! Did you find any difference between the invoice prices you received? I'm a little leery about these free Canadian sites that won't post the prices, but e-mail them instead.
    Thanks for the info. My friend bought a Toyota Sienna 4 years ago from Vegas. A year later I went to the dealership and they told me only used cars are applicable for a Canadian buyer. If you have a American friend buy it for you that might do it, but it's still a lot of paperwork.

I am still going slowly about this. My main problem is how to get rid of my still smooth running 1997 Camry. It's got a bit of rust on it and that is why I am selling it. Someone can still use a car that is outliving it's body I suppose for a cheap price.

I have test drove about 8 cars so far and I like the Camry, Legacy and Accord the best so far. GOing to test drive a Passat as I heard they have better paint than the Japanese brands.

^ your Camry will probably run forever if it's maintained.. the 2.2L I-4 is a great engine, almost as robust as the legendary 22R-4 The V-6's are prone to a bit of sludging but if the oil is changed regularly and you run it out on the highway every once in a while it will last a very long time

My personal opinion would be to stay away from VW products. They are fun to drive and handle well, but the quality is simply not there anymore, and the nagging problems that have plagued the brand for the past 10 years or so still remain. I've had friends with VW's and Audis that have had nothing but problems with them. If you're going Euro I'd look at a Volvo way before a VW
    Last edited by 240GLT; 24-05-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Parkdale

^x2 on VW, just look at JD Powers or similar. I owned an Audi (tarted up VW - same parts inside), it was a nightmare for maintenance and problems. And not an isolated case, I have talked to at least a half dozen people who had the same issues. Great cars to drive, and if you are lucky enough to get a gem, would be good, but most people aren't so lucky.

Default What type of mid-sized sedan do you recommend?

I am looking for a new mid sized sedan in the entry level luxury market.

Sort of between $34-40,000.
    There are a lot of makes and models to choose from.

So far, I have seen almost all the major makes.

I like:

Lexus ES350 (pricy though not much of a discount)
    Toyota Avalon (new redesign for 2013, usb folders not recognized though)
    Toyota Camry (not impressed cheaper materials than in the past)
    Hyundai Genesis (pricy and rear wheel drive) Not sure about it for Edm winters.
    Honda Accord (has vibration in 3 cylinder mode)
    Mazda 6 (finally has a usb no idea of it’s features)
    Nissan Maxima (don’t like cvt and premium gas for optimum performance)
    Buick Lacrosse (seems ok not comfortable with dash layout or high center armrest)
    Hyundai Sonata (haven’t test drove extensively seems like not a cushy ride which I favour)
    Ford Fusion (looks ok but not avail in a 6) Unknown reliability.

VW Passat (pricy don’t like 5 cyl, 6 is expensive)

Volvo S80 (expensive I think)

BMW and Mercedes I do not consider as expense and maintenance is high.

If anyone has driven these late model cars please give an opinion. I find it hard as heck to decide. I want a entry luxury with nav, rear camera, nice stereo usb port (premium or close to it), 4 dr auto (V6 or some equivalent hp) basically with a soft ride. Of course it has to be reliable and last at least 10 years.

Addicted to C2E

I am looking for a new [b]mid sized sedan in the entry level luxury market.[b]

Nissan Maxima (donít like cvt and premium gas for optimum performance)
    Buick Lacrosse (seems ok not comfortable with dash layout or high center armrest)
    These are the four which actually fit that category.

Looks like you've decidedly eliminated the Maxima. If you're willing to splurge a little more, you can get rid of the Lacrosse as well.

The Audi A4 is conspicuously absent, probably for the same reason you won't consider BMW/Mercedes. You'll love the all wheel drive in this climate, it's available in a V6, and they last a long time. Parts are expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I am looking for a new [b]mid sized sedan in the entry level luxury market.[b]

These are the four which actually fit that category.

Looks like you've decidedly eliminated the Maxima. If you're willing to splurge a little more, you can get rid of the Lacrosse as well.

The Audi A4 is conspicuously absent, probably for the same reason you won't consider BMW/Mercedes. You'll love the all wheel drive in this climate, it's available in a V6, and they last a long time. Parts are expensive though.
    Maxima's is an ok car. I was told you don't have to use regular gas. Toyota's are quieter though.

I test drove the Genesis today. Slow Gearbox and undulates in the ride otherwise ok. I'd prefer a front wheel drive.

Audi A4 is one car I haven't tested. Maybe I will try it but typically Euro cars have stiffer suspensions.

Left out the Infiniti, but I know it has a nosy motor and rough ride compared to others in the class.

Hyundai and Nissan are the few dealers who have integrated wired ipods correctly. Others have no direct control.

C2E Continued Contributor

Maybe a Kia Optima? never test drove one though.

I do like the Ford Fusion's though, even if it doesn't come in a 6 cylinder, the ecoboost engines are quite peppy for only being a 4 cylinder.

I had a Maxima as a rental for a tiny bit, and I wasn't overly impressed with it. Not a bad car, but didn't really impress me either.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    Maybe a Kia Optima? never test drove one though.

I do like the Ford Fusion's though, even if it doesn't come in a 6 cylinder, the ecoboost engines are quite peppy for only being a 4 cylinder.

I had a Maxima as a rental for a tiny bit, and I wasn't overly impressed with it. Not a bad car, but didn't really impress me either.
    The Kia Optima is similar to the Sonata. Hard plastics and all dark interiors which I hate. Kind of a noisy motor compared to silent Toyota's. Nice shape and design though.

I generally don't trust U.S> brands but if they have been improving them well maybe a 2013 Fusion is worth a test drive. The 2012 is a lot quieter than trhe 2012 Maxima.

Atlima's I dislike a lot. high rev noise on their cvt's.

Welcome to the forum you should have posted this too http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...play.php?f=134

and it looks like you allready have a thread about this there

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    Welcome to the forum you should have posted this too http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...play.php?f=134

and it looks like you allready have a thread about this there
    Sorry sometimes I forget as I did it a long time ago.

Its cool man, i have reported this thread hopefully it can be merged with the other one.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

merged

A good Canadian auto review site is Autos.ca. They have Canadian based reviews of everything from entry level econoboxes to high end luxury vehicles.

I liked the 200!!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I liked the 200!!
    But it has an engine....thats fueled by gas.....and doesnt have a city employee driving it and it isn't packed with random strangers!
    Last edited by GranaryMan; 20-02-2013 at 10:32 AM.

I liked the 200!!
    Is 200 a bus route number or a scooter model type? I'm confused by your post in a thread about cars, and even why you are involved in it outside of an attempt to troll your anti car rhetoric famously found in just about all your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    I liked the 200!!
    But it has an engine....thats fueled by gas.....and doesnt have a city employee driving it and it isn't packed with random strangers!
    I rent cars Granary... that is hardly a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I liked the 200!!
    Is 200 a bus route number or a scooter model type? I'm confused by your post in a thread about cars, and even why you are involved in it outside of an attempt to troll your anti car rhetoric famously found in just about all your posts.
    I also was thinking it was a bus route as well.

I liked the 200!!
    So...you're admitting that bicycles and public transit cant take you everywhere you need to go?????

Need not mention as I'm sure you saw but in case you didn't he also reported on another thread that he has a scooter. He's also been known to get rides from his friends as reported in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Need not mention as I'm sure you saw but in case you didn't he also reported on another thread that he has a scooter. He's also been known to get rides from his friends as reported in another thread.
    Well then...this proves even more that public transit isnt the cats meow, and brings into question why he was so opposed to my suggestion that edmonton build free flow bus and car pool routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    A good Canadian auto review site is Autos.ca. They have Canadian based reviews of everything from entry level econoboxes to high end luxury vehicles.
    Thanks! I have a hard time deciding on a car for sure.

Kind of like a used 2012 Hyundai Genesis fo rnow.

I'm in a 2010 Ford Fusion Sport. It has the v6 (263 hp), one of the last years the fusion was made with a v6, or in the Sport model. Comes with bluetooth/usb audio (w/ 12 speaker Sony setup), AWD, rear camera (camera, blind spot detector, backup sensor), navigation system. The 2010 received higher ratings than most others in its price range.

(it's also a 6 speed auto/manual transmission, comes with traction control, nice leather interior, heated seats...)

I liked the 200!!
    So...you're admitting that bicycles and public transit cant take you everywhere you need to go?????
    Yep hard to Take ETS to Stettler to visit my dad.

and if you think that me taking a ride from my friend, using my scooter or renting a car somehow diminishes the initiatives i believe in than please keep posting your feelings on it.

I am seeing very good rates on Hyundai and the one veh I rented that was made by them was very enjoyable to drive. It was the sante fe

I liked the 200!!
    Yep hard to Take ETS to Stettler to visit my dad.

and if you think that me taking a ride from my friend, using my scooter or renting a car somehow diminishes the initiatives i believe in than please keep posting your feelings on it.
    Pretty sure Greyhound goes to Stettler.

^ Better do your research... and can I take my dog with me on the greyhound... and please tell me how, once in Stettler, I get out to the country to visit my aunts, how do I get out to the lake to visit my grandparents and ooo while your at it maybe why don't you keep telling me whats best for me..

THanks...

and further more this is best mid sized sedan threat not the how does Mark Gitzel get around thread.

^ Better do your research... and can I take my dog with me on the greyhound... and please tell me how, once in Stettler, I get out to the country to visit my aunts, how do I get out to the lake to visit my grandparents and ooo while your at it maybe why don't you keep telling me whats best for me..

THanks...

and further more this is best mid sized sedan threat not the how does Mark Gitzel get around thread.
    I'm sure you're allowed to take a dog on the Greyhound. As long as its in a carry on case similar to what the airlines allow.

As for transportation once you're there, a bicycle or walking of course...maybe a horse...I don't know. Whatever works best for you.

All in good fun buddy, perhaps now you know what it's like when you hound people wi your anti car propaganda all the time.

And back on topic.

I am looking for a new mid sized sedan in the entry level luxury market.

Sort of between $34-40,000.
    There are a lot of makes and models to choose from.

So far, I have seen almost all the major makes.

I like:

Toyota Avalon (new redesign for 2013, usb folders not recognized though)
    Toyota Camry (not impressed cheaper materials than in the past)
    Hyundai Genesis (pricy and rear wheel drive) Not sure about it for Edm winters.
    Honda Accord (has vibration in 3 cylinder mode)
    Mazda 6 (finally has a usb no idea of itís features)
    Hyundai Sonata (havenít test drove extensively seems like not a cushy ride which I favour)
    Ford Fusion (looks ok but not avail in a 6) Unknown reliability.

VW Passat (pricy donít like 5 cyl, 6 is expensive)

BMW and Mercedes I do not consider as expense and maintenance is high.

If anyone has driven these late model cars please give an opinion. I find it hard as heck to decide. I want a entry luxury with nav, rear camera, nice stereo usb port (premium or close to it), 4 dr auto (V6 or some equivalent hp) basically with a soft ride. Of course it has to be reliable and last at least 10 years.
    I ended up with a Buick Lacrosse as a rental a while ago. I found the seats extremely uncomfortable. Also the transmission hunted around a lot. Also, it looks & feels like a grandpas car. I would never consider buying one of these.

I have also driven a Fusion, of any american car that's probably the one I'd go for. They seem to have decent ratings but the re-sale values are terrible.

The in-laws have an ES-350, and we're looking buy it from them this spring. It's a really nice car, especially on the highway.

For the Volvo, I'd look at an S-60.
    Parkdale

Here is a comparison between some German luxury cars and a Cadillac. I don't know if they're in your range.

Here is a comparison of family sedans. You can probably upgrade these to near luxury levels. I know Ford Titanium models in particular have all the bells and whistles.

The Lincoln MKS and MKZ may also meet your needs.

The 2014 Mazda6 should be arriving shortly; initial impressions of it I've read have been very positive.

The Hyundai Genesis you're looking at is supposed to a pretty sweet ride as well.

With a rear wheel drive I'd haul something heavy in the trunk, though. I remember a few years ago driving in my old '85 Celica (last model year they had RWD) down highway 16 in the winter time near Elk Island, hitting an icy patch, and ending up in the left side ditch after doing a 360 pirouhette across both lanes of the highway. Luckily, someone with tow rope pulled us out, but I shudder to think what would have happened if someone had been passing me at the time Fortunately, I'm still here

THanks...

I'm sure you're allowed to take a dog on the Greyhound. As long as its in a carry on case similar to what the airlines allow.

As for transportation once you're there, a bicycle or walking of course...maybe a horse...I don't know. Whatever works best for you.

All in good fun buddy, perhaps now you know what it's like when you hound people wi your anti car propaganda all the time.

And back on topic.
    ok... Ill be sure to check my 90 lbs dog under my seat...

THanks...

And back on topic.
    ok... Ill be sure to check my 90 lbs dog under my seat...
    That "horse" would go under the bus.
    You could always train it to pull a sled or wagon.

Do you think before you post.... Who in the world would take this schedule. Transit hast to do more than simply just exist. It has to be relevant.

EDMONTON, AB 12:45am GLC 5201

EDMONTON SOUTH, AB 01:00am 01:00am GLC 5201

LEDUC, AB 01:25am 01:25am GLC 5201

WETASKIWIN, AB 02:05am 02:05am GLC 5201

HOBBEMA, AB 02:20am 02:20am GLC 5201

PONOKA, AB 02:30am 02:30am GLC 5201

LACOMBE, AB 02:50am GLC 5201

LACOMBE, AB Transfer 08:35am 5:45 GCE 5948

CLIVE, AB 08:55am 08:55am GCE 5948

ALIX, AB 09:05am 09:05am GCE 5948

STETTLER, AB 09:35am

and...

Q: Can I bring my pet on board?
    A: No dogs, cats, birds or other animals will be transported. However, a properly documented service animal, trained for the purpose of accompanying a disabled person, will be permitted to travel with the disabled person at no additional charge.

Now stick to topic.

How is this all relevant to what the OP is asking? EDP, ironic of you asking to "stay on topic" - your continued trolling doesn't help "staying on topic." We get it, you're special, you rent vehicles..

I wouldn't suggest the new Mazda6, it's a new model year - I'd wait until the bugs have been found and fixed.. I have an 05 Legacy GT wagon, first model year.. it's got bugs (headlights burn out due to a faulty electrical system every 6 months). If you can live with them then I'm sure the Mazda will be a nice car.

Also new in Cadillac's new lineup is the ATS, starting around 35-ish..
    http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles...c/ats/overview

I did NOT take it off topic.... and it isn't relevant.

Which is my entire point.

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    How is this all relevant to what the OP is asking? EDP, ironic of you asking to "stay on topic" - your continued trolling doesn't help "staying on topic." We get it, you're special, you rent vehicles..

I wouldn't suggest the new Mazda6, it's a new model year - I'd wait until the bugs have been found and fixed.. I have an 05 Legacy GT wagon, first model year.. it's got bugs (headlights burn out due to a faulty electrical system every 6 months). If you can live with them then I'm sure the Mazda will be a nice car.

Here is the Autos.ca test drive of the ATS.

Agreed that the Mazda6 will have teething pains. It is almost completely new, with a new high-compression direct injection engine, high strength/lower weight steel body, and weight saving transmissions; these changes are marketed by active under the SkyActiv label. Mazda generally has a history of making quality vehicles, but you are always rolling the dice with new technology.

The same risk taking applies for the turbo charged and/or direct injected engines found in many new vehicles, like the Ford Ecoboost models or Honda Accord. Gasoline direct injection and turbo chargers have been around for a while, but are only now being applied against the average passenger vehicle (for fuel savings without power reduction), and it remains to be seen how each companies implementation will fare over the maintenance life of their individual vehicles.

You're taking a gamble with many vehicles today, as companies experiment to increase fuel economy and it becomes more and more difficult to find an engine using proven technology. On the other hand, things like fuel injection, powered brakes, and power steering were once considered new-fangled ideas, and those are now standard; hopefully direct injection and widespread turbo charger use will have the same success

One car you won't be able to get here is the Chevrolet SS: according the Globe and Mail, we won't be getting this RWD, Corvette-engined, Pontiac G8 reborn sedan in Canada Sounds like it would be a real gas guzzler, but it also sound like it would be fun to drive. We may get it in the future, once they shift production from Australia to the States.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 20-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Oh? I'm sure it'll come up.. I don't see why we wouldn't get it. (btw your link doesn't work, Ustauk)

Personally I really like a CTS-V Wagon.. I'm a sucker for wagons (and 2dr 2 seater convertibles) and I think it's got the best price per performance factor of all the luxo-barge wagons (Mercedes E-class, Audi Avants, etc). I tested a GS350 F-Sport AWD last weekend and couldn't get comfortable.. my 6'4" frame doesn't quite like having a sunroof.

Hyundai Genesis.

No question.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Oh? I'm sure it'll come up.. I don't see why we wouldn't get it. (btw your link doesn't work, Ustauk)

Personally I really like a CTS-V Wagon.. I'm a sucker for wagons (and 2dr 2 seater convertibles) and I think it's got the best price per performance factor of all the luxo-barge wagons (Mercedes E-class, Audi Avants, etc). I tested a GS350 F-Sport AWD last weekend and couldn't get comfortable.. my 6'4" frame doesn't quite like having a sunroof.
    Fixed Globe and Mail Link in above post.

I have been a mazda3 girl since they first built the protege's.

My first new car was a protege and I really miss that car. It came with power moonroof, entertainment deck. No air condition or power windows, but this was 1992 so it's rare for some of those features to have been standard back then.

I drive a mazda3 GS and it's a great car. Great on gas, comfort, has pretty much everything I need. I bought it 5 yrs ago, and have been considering the new Mazda 3 GS skyactive with Leather seating, and it's only about $25,000 compared to some other vehicles that charged over $30k for the same features.

Here is the Autos.ca test drive of the ATS.
    Here's the Autos.ca review of the 272 horsepower, 2.0 Litre Turbo All Wheel Drive Premium version of the Cadillac ATS. They seemed very impressed with the car.

Autos.ca has a direct comparison between the 2013 BMW 328i xDrive and 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD sedans. The cool thing is both cars were tested in Edmonton against our winter weather

I was in Vancouver this weekend and rented a car... I received a 2013 Ford Focus Platinum Edition (full load) which is apparently in the "mid size" category

We drove it from the airport to downtown, across the Lions' Gate to Lonsdale, out to Maple Ridge and out to White Rock in a mix of city and highway driving. Found the car to be very comfortable, even being 6'3", nice seats and good interior layout. Handled well and felt very sound. Lots of room in the front and lots of headroom even with a sunroof, but if anyone had to sit in the back it would have been a tight fit.

The cons were that I found the car to be underpowered, especially in passing/merging situations. The transmision hunted a lot at lower speeds as well. The headrests created sholder checking blind spots on the drivers side, but the passenger side was okay.

Overall though, I was pretty impressed with this little car, considering what the older Focuses were like. For a commuter or 2nd car, this would probably be a decent choice.
    Parkdale

Took a Mazda six 300km north last week... There and back on less than a half tank. Quite liked it except it needed more power.
    www.decl.org

Those new Ford Fusions look pretty nice. The Global platform seems to be working out well for them.

Almost looks like an Aston Martin sedan..