Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 2344

Thread: Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

does that really provide ANY depth to this thread? like really? comon. stop. get some help.^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Friendly neighborhood (non-double poster) photographer.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Je suis un artiste.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Je suis un artiste.
    Why not open up a Construction Photo page - that was we don't get bolded new notifications of a new post (when its only your photo shot) of your "artwork". How about showing some respect to other posters?

Read what you just wrote. The photo was intended to show the impact of the massing on that vista, for we have more than a few detail shots of late.
    www.decl.org

Friday, January 4, 2019, my picture

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Je suis un artiste.
    Why not open up a Construction Photo page - that was we don't get bolded new notifications of a new post (when its only your photo shot) of your "artwork". How about showing some respect to other posters?
    so now everyone is gonna ***** because he posts a photo in just 1 thread now you people have some serrous ******* issues

Or maybe he could post construction photos of buildings in the thread that has "under construction" in the title?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Or maybe he could post construction photos of buildings in the thread that has "under construction" in the title?
    Or maybe when you take a picture of Encore you put it in the Encore thread! Makes sense to me.

Great photos. Don't stop. Why don't people just turn their automatic notifications off?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

^cool, only 60 more floors to go!

That wire is actually about where it will top out at.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

^cool shot !!

C2E Continued Contributor

^damn

Yep, that photo is hardly recognizable as Edmonton !

www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Mmmmmmmmm...glazing.

Yep and another game changer build for dt Edmonton !

Super. Loving it.

Crazy to think this will be the fifth tallest building in the city.

Gap filler, slim, sexy.

How about 5 more please and thank you.
    www.decl.org

And reasonable prices please. ($400~$450/sf)

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Good luck with that!
    I don't know how all these downtown condo units will continue to sell. Greenfield product that is significantly cheaper is not moving at all.

C2E SME

Different markets/products for different people.

well the thing is...Langham has been pricing their products in that range. And people wonder why Langham 'crap' sells. It's because of the pricing.

Encore, Grandin City, ID towers and that failed Lamb development are all $550+/sf
    Falcon Towers from the initial look of things are about $450-500+/sf

I still maintain we are not a city that can fill out hundreds of $500,000+ condos and it is quite evident in the sales of Sky, Encore, Grandin (the $500,000+ units are not moving and it accounts for 50% of their units in their towers). Legends fared a bit better but it has its own circumstances and it stood out as a much better value than everything else after it.

The whole issue with infill and downtown condos is that they are priced outside the purchasing power of the demographics you want to see living centrally. It's not a matter of build it and they will come. They are being built and they are coming slowly. And those who are coming are folks ready to retire.

I'm just pulling a stat out of my butt, but 1 in 20 families will choose to live downtown. It's easy to see that most people see no value in living in a 800 sf box up in the sky when their $400,000 can get them a 2000 sf in the surburbs.

The goal is to provide a higher quality of spaces, more options of layouts/amenities and a greater diversity in price ranges.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I don't disagree with you in principle B.ike, I'm just saying that the practical realities of the costs of construction in our market as well as continued increased costs from new codes etc. pretty much preclude that kind of price level (much below $500/ft) being met on new high rise projects.

As far as Legends goes, I'd be willing to bet that they established their selling prices and sold most of the units before they'd finalized their construction costs. While I doubt they'll lose money, it's pretty apparent from the subsequent Sky Condos pricing and lower finishes that they sold Legends for less than they could/should have.

well the thing is...Langham has been pricing their products in that range. And people wonder why Langham 'crap' sells. It's because of the pricing.

Encore, Grandin City, ID towers and that failed Lamb development are all $550+/sf
    Falcon Towers from the initial look of things are about $450-500+/sf

I still maintain we are not a city that can fill out hundreds of $500,000+ condos and it is quite evident in the sales of Sky, Encore, Grandin (the $500,000+ units are not moving and it accounts for 50% of their units in their towers). Legends fared a bit better but it has its own circumstances and it stood out as a much better value than everything else after it.

The whole issue with infill and downtown condos is that they are priced outside the purchasing power of the demographics you want to see living centrally.
    It's not a matter of build it and they will come. They are being built and they are coming slowly. And those who are coming are folks ready to retire.

I'm just pulling a stat out of my butt, but 1 in 20 families will choose to live downtown. It's easy to see that most people see no value in living in a 800 sf box up in the sky when their $400,000 can get them a 2000 sf in the surburbs.
    Marcel -this is what I am referring to. I understand they are different markets and different customers but with the changing mortgage rules, people only have so much purchasing power. There are only so many people that can afford $400,000 condos, whether they want them or not. There will likely be a shift for those that want to live urban will have to rent, and for people to enter the home ownership it will be more and more difficult to do it through urban properties.

This is why we (Beljan) remain bullish on building rentals. There is also a growing segment of the market that have no desire to own even though they easily qualify for a mortgage. Some are looking, and willing to pay, for good quality rental product.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Oilers99 View Post
    Marcel -this is what I am referring to. I understand they are different markets and different customers but with the changing mortgage rules, people only have so much purchasing power. There are only so many people that can afford $400,000 condos, whether they want them or not. There will likely be a shift for those that want to live urban will have to rent, and for people to enter the home ownership it will be more and more difficult to do it through urban properties.
    Again, I'm not debating affordability concerns or the impact of higher interest rates and tighter rules on mortgages. I'm simply stating that if you are waiting for a brand new, $400/sf, concrete high rise condo to be marketed in Edmonton, you're going to be disappointed.

^Agreed. A developer wont make money selling units at $400SF.

www.decl.org

Can barely see the Encore (hence another peek-a-boo shot) but nice pic anyway
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Can barely see the Encore (hence another peek-a-boo shot) but nice pic anyway
    I would say it's a very enticing shot - Encore is only about half way up, at completion it should graze the Railtown arch !

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    I would say it's a very enticing shot - Encore is only about half way up, at completion it should graze the Railtown arch !
    Agreed. Even by spring, this shot will look much different...

Friendly neighborhood (non-double poster) photographer.

My picture taken Jan 18th.

Beautiful!

She is going to be very sleek.
    www.decl.org

That looks great.

C2E SME

That looks very good, can't wait to see more.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

www.decl.org

It will be 100 ft. taller than Fox2 (30 meters)

From the top of Fox to the top of the picture, the tower will be halfway there or slightly higher.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Are Westrich Pacific and Langham reputable and reliable condo developers?

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    This is why we (Beljan) remain bullish on building rentals. There is also a growing segment of the market that have no desire to own even though they easily qualify for a mortgage. Some are looking, and willing to pay, for good quality rental product.
    This, Exactly this! My wife and I could easily buy a 800k condo or house, but we have been there done that and now enjoy the freedom to move and enjoy life freely without having to worry about anything. I love renting and will probably do so until I leave this dustball, Edmonton needs more higher end rental units with parking for 2-3 vehicles.
    Last edited by J&L plus 2 Cats; 09-02-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: SP

Rental is the way of the future compare to ownership. Nowaday, owning your own home is too costly , and many places show rental is cheaper in the long run.

^that's over simplifying the rental vs owning debate as there are many variables that will come into the equation.

Even if I have to rent my property at a loss, so long as my principle paid is greater than 80 percent of what I put into my own payments, then the place makes sense economically. There are also significant tax benefits to help an individual in my situation that can be capitalized on as well.

At the end of the day, the idea is that you own something when you retire and that you retire debt free. Itís a part of your portfolio just like your pension, mutual funds, and rrsps. If you have multiple properties paid off by then, youíre provided an income as well.

I donít know where this idea that renting is cheaper than owning has come from. Itís more that itís gotten difficult to own, which is catalyzing the rental market by pushing younger demographics towards them. I did my own calculation and in year five of my mortgage, Iím about break even, and itíll only improve in the second term, and then the one after that.

I know this is all simple logic that doesnít break down the DROI or anything, but it makes sense to own if you can afford, it just means youíre accepting more responsibility.

The way I phrased it yes, but many experts have concluded that that is the case especially going forward to the very near future. Homes are ever increasing in prices making it unaffordable for the average buyer; but, maintenence cost to run the homes have also reached critical level in cost and only expected to increase in the future. I agree with their findings.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    The way I phrased it yes, but many experts have concluded that that is the case especially going forward to the very near future. Homes are ever increasing in prices making it unaffordable for the average buyer; but, maintenence cost to run the homes have also reached critical level in cost and only expected to increase in the future. I agree with their findings.
    Based off what economic factors? If you factor in the depreciating value of the dollar over a 25 year period, youíre putting the banks dollar to good use by investing in real estate - especially once you get past your first five years. Every blog Iíve read regarding the merits of renting also only make sense to certain demographics. And even then...

Also, I drove by the other day and was just blown away by how beautiful that curtain wall is. This will be the nicest residential tower in the city when completed. I also love that t-style layout. I assume every unit will have three views. Good architecture!

'curtain wall'

Technically, it is window wall as opposed to curtain wall, which is hung/supported from the slab with embeds versus window wall which sits on the slab.
    www.decl.org

'curtain wall'

Technically, it is window wall as opposed to curtain wall, which is hung/supported from the slab with embeds versus window wall which sits on the slab.
    Gotcha. I didnít have that close of a look. Just a drive by.

Looks great nonetheless.

That it does, that it does.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Based off what economic factors? If you factor in the depreciating value of the dollar over a 25 year period, youíre putting the banks dollar to good use by investing in real estate - especially once you get past your first five years. Every blog Iíve read regarding the merits of renting also only make sense to certain demographics. And even then...
    This is all true, but where I am at in my life is making the determination on rent vs buy. I am semi-retired and pick up the odd contract from time to time and my wife works for a tech company and is looking to transfer to a different division which means a different city. We have no kids and sold our house and condo and invested the money from both. Being tied down with ownership at this point does not work for me, but I also want to certain level of design and comfort from a rental, As do some of our friends that see things in a similar light. I think there is a market for higher end rentals but as always the markets will speak for themselves.I am not against ownership but after owning for many years and doing reno's and building and buying a new condo and selling and all the responsibilities that go along with it, I just needed a break and renting has been great for my well being, stress levels are down and I love the ability to live in a different place every year or two. It's not about the money with me it is about quality of life now. But yeah the banker's son in me did freak out about paying someone else's mortgage for a while but I have learned to let that go.

Yup! Thatís why I asked based off what. Where Iím at, it makes sense to treat properties like a business. When Iím 65, thatíll probably be less so.

I can appreciate the desire for a rental as your primary, however, I still think it makes more sense in my eyes to spend your years developing equity.

www.decl.org

Looks like just a floor over 1/2 way up. Great addition to 102 Ave.
    ... gobsmacked

Yup! Thatís why I asked based off what. Where Iím at, it makes sense to treat properties like a business. When Iím 65, thatíll probably be less so.

I can appreciate the desire for a rental as your primary, however, I still think it makes more sense in my eyes to spend your years developing equity.
    Based on living in Canada for 40 years and witnessed from the past how a one income earner can afford a house, lifesaving, and college tuitions for their kids in the 80s. Fast forward that to today where dual household incomes is applied, yet many families are on the verge of 1 or 2 paychecks from extreme stress. You're the one that joked about being broke as millennials which is a closer truth than you realized. You kids come out of university already veterans of slavery due to tuition debts that blows my mind. That is a mortgage on itself. In my days, we had debts from university, but they were more in line with buying a car range of financing; now you kids come out of school with mortgages under your credit.

That floor plate is a real winner. I'm interested to see how the interiors turn out. It seems like the best highrise property developed in the core...

^it's in a totally primo spot !

Based on living in Canada for 40 years and witnessed from the past how a one income earner can afford a house, lifesaving, and college tuitions for their kids in the 80s. Fast forward that to today where dual household incomes is applied, yet many families are on the verge of 1 or 2 paychecks from extreme stress. You're the one that joked about being broke as millennials which is a closer truth than you realized. You kids come out of university already veterans of slavery due to tuition debts that blows my mind. That is a mortgage on itself. In my days, we had debts from university, but they were more in line with buying a car range of financing; now you kids come out of school with mortgages under your credit.
    Nah I was only joking about that. My generation isnít as hard off as it likes to think. The mortgage rules suck but are understandable, other than that? Living within your means, driving vehicles that are paid off, not getting a new phone every year, using a credit card sparingly, and actively searching ways to downsize your household opex are things that you need to do if you want a place.

Lots of starter homes are going for around 250k in the suburbs, that means that you need to have a stable job for a year or two and 12500 dollars saved to consider buying a place. Run those numbers through an inflation calculator as well as a 5 dollar wage from the seventies and it all looks similar. The big difference being regulatory changes making borrowing more of a process.

As for debt slavery? Some debt is good, but Iíve got a plan to retire debt free at 55 with one income property and one primary. Even in an economic downturn and a layoff and an unexpected need to go back to school Iím still a couple years ahead on my plan.

Itís not as doom and gloom as kids on reddit make it seem for us donít let their negative attitude sway ya because the ones that receive good advice and money lessons? I think weíre gonna be alright.

Im glad you have a means to navigate around that; but the reality that I see on the news is that many millennials have moved back or remained cohabiting with their parents past the age of 30. It is a growing trend that will continue. Many cities have high professional earnings over 250k that can't afford homes because it is out of their reach Just on the news at noon, it extolled that many young couples are rethinking weddings because they're too costly instead focusing on that cost to mortgages which will rise further going forward. It is just reality like Vancouver at this moment.

Nah I was only joking about that. My generation isnít as hard off as it likes to think. The mortgage rules suck but are understandable, other than that? Living within your means, driving vehicles that are paid off, not getting a new phone every year, using a credit card sparingly, and actively searching ways to downsize your household opex are things that you need to do if you want a place.

Lots of starter homes are going for around 250k in the suburbs, that means that you need to have a stable job for a year or two and 12500 dollars saved to consider buying a place. Run those numbers through an inflation calculator as well as a 5 dollar wage from the seventies and it all looks similar. The big difference being regulatory changes making borrowing more of a process.

As for debt slavery? Some debt is good, but Iíve got a plan to retire debt free at 55 with one income property and one primary. Even in an economic downturn and a layoff and an unexpected need to go back to school Iím still a couple years ahead on my plan.

Itís not as doom and gloom as kids on reddit make it seem for us donít let their negative attitude sway ya because the ones that receive good advice and money lessons? I think weíre gonna be alright.
    I appreciate that it is not all doom and gloom, every generation thinks they have it so bad. I suppose in part that is because it is always more of a struggle starting off in life. People look at their parents comfortable financially in their 50's or 60's, but might not realize it wasn't easy for them in their 20's either. Sure, housing was cheaper then, but 20% interest rates that was the big problem then - different problems now I guess.

However, I sure wouldn't want to be trying to make a go of it in the more expensive cities in Canada like Toronto or Vancouver right now as a young person. Housing is much more affordable in in Edmonton and average wages sure are really not higher there.

This is why the rental market will continue to be strong over the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    This is why the rental market will continue to be strong over the coming years.
    There is a price limit for everything. At some point a people will start to decide TO is to expensive and go elsewhere. I suspect this will mostly benefit the two other large cities in central Canada - Ottawa and Montreal, but perhaps others such as Hamilton, Waterloo and London. I think this is already happening to some extent in Vancouver, there have been a lot of stories about millennial's leaving in recent years.

People in their 20's or 30's might hang in for a while paying increasingly exorbitant rent, but when they want to start families and realize buying a place is not likely possible there, but is elsewhere, that is when people start to look and move elsewhere.

www.decl.org

As 'Hall and Oat' sings it... ,'Oh oh here she comes . Better watch out she'll chew you up. She's a maneater. " This is looking sexy as heck.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 19-02-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Yep, "she's" gonna be a beauty!

Very nice

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Love the the glass. Very nice.

C2E SME

How many more floors?

On 25 or so... roughly about 18 to go.

www.decl.org

Okay, IanO, I'm sure you're prepared to be jeered for this worst ever photo, lol.

how could you show a bunch of blank walls like that, IanO ??????

He is showing a gap filler. It takes 1.5 seconds to scroll a picture or a comment, so why focus on negativity? Either way, you have to scroll to progress dialogue...

Yes, but a bit of cropping would have felt soooo much better ... no, worries, it's all good ... well almost, lol.

If the picture look uninspiring, blink and scroll simultaneously. The magic in that combo order is most affective I promise you. Sorry Ian !

If the picture look uninspiring, blink and scroll simultaneously. The magic in that combo order is most affective I promise you. Sorry Ian !
    They have every right to comment on something they dislike.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

This tower is really coming along nicely
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

👌 It never ceases to amaze me when people come on message boards and get upset when they see other opinions being voiced.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 22-02-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    how could you show a bunch of blank walls like that, IanO ??????
    i suppose i should have put one of these in my comment....

by comparison, this is a GREAT picture !! and Ian can post a picture of a rock if he wants, it doesn't bother me !

^ Hi, welcome to last month.
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I didn't say they couldn't , nor was the tone of my comment. Im just as free to encourage better navigation of energy for a more positive result. They're big boys and girls...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ Hi, welcome to last month.
    yup

I didn't say they couldn't , nor was the tone of my comment. Im just as free to encourage better navigation of energy for a more positive result. They're big boys and girls...
    Please. You told them to "blink and scroll simultaneously". In other words, you are telling them not to comment and move on.

As a matter of fact, if you don't like that someone comments on a previous post, you should blink and scroll simultaneously. And, the same logic would apply to my comments on your post. OPs with no comments after them. Wouldn't that make for an interesting forum!

Please. You told them to "blink and scroll simultaneously". In other words, you are telling them not to comment and move on.

As a matter of fact, if you don't like that someone comments on a previous post, you should blink and scroll simultaneously. And, the same logic would apply to my comments on your post. OPs with no comments after them. Wouldn't that make for an interesting forum!
    You're joking, he's always right, except when he's very wrong.
    Great post, btw!

Gonna be fun seeing this tower top out this spring / summer, think it's gonna be my new favorite, at least temporarily anyways.

Precisely I did! 1.5 seconds to ignore and scroll vs 1.5 to do the opposite. That said, what is your choice? Blink and shush or blink and be-itch? Play dress ups or be GROWN UPS?
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 23-02-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Precisely I did! 1.5 seconds to ignore and scroll vs 1.5 to do the opposite. That said, what is your choice? Blink and shush or blink and be-itch? Play dress ups or be GROWN UPS?
    What are you even talking about? :/

Ian's picture.

Thoughts on all that spandrel?

OK, I'll ignore. Should've done that long ago with you.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast