Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,400 of 2619

Thread: Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    Thoughts on all that spandrel?
    I think the colour scheme and proportioning are absolutely perfect. This is easily the nice project either built, under construction, or proposed in the city asides from maybe Alldrittís tower.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hopefully it's quality spandrel that is durable, won't fade, etc. I do think this tower is exceptional, and a few more spread around would be great.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    He is showing a gap filler. It takes 1.5 seconds to scroll a picture or a comment, so why focus on negativity? Either way, you have to scroll to progress dialogue...
    Bingo. The gap being filled was the purpose of this shot.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    Thoughts on all that spandrel?
    Presume you mean the 2nd picture of IanO's (of 5 in post 2272) ? I think those North facing walls of the East-West part of the "cross" are the only areas that are "spandrel-spandrel-spandrel". I looks like it's pretty well alternated in all the other elevations from what I can see...
    Last edited by Big Bird; 24-02-2019 at 02:52 PM.

The only problem I have with this and the Ulitma's exterior is that the balconies are not painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    The only problem I have with this and the Ulitma's exterior is that the balconies are not painted.
    To be honest with you I think exposed looks better over the long term. But thatís just my own opinion. Painted surfaces in this city donít hold up.

Painted looks finished, but does need ongoing maintenance.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Painted looks finished, but does need ongoing maintenance.
    Considering the colour schemes used on these buildings, exposed looks just as finished and matches better than say, a white finish look would. Sometimes less is more.

Ya, I prefer exposed as well. Interior and out.
    www.decl.org

cellphone shot:

^amazing, thanks! I love how skinny this building is going to be.

That really demonstrates the importance of this project as a connecting piece between the CBD and the 104 Street infill.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    cellphone shot:
    starting to get some real height to it now !!

Look at Icon... it looks just like Encore at this stage. I'm so scared for Falcon right now. Sorry...

Back to Ency, she is really taking form now. On the 26th so another 18ish to go.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Looks like the elevator core form being lifted there. So cool!

Looks like they have a 2 day sale. You could get a 2 bed/2 bath for $380

And reasonable prices please. ($400~$450/sf)
    You can get in at $466

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's $466K ��
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

No. $466/sf for a 5th floor 2bd/2bath

isn't there tax on top of those prices?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Most definitely.

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Most definitely.
    Ah I see. I am new to this sort of thing. Sounds like airfare shenanigans. Anything else I should tag on other than tax (5% GST?)

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Most definitely.
    Ah I see. I am new to this sort of thing. Sounds like airfare shenanigans. Anything else I should tag on other than tax (5% GST?)
    Donít think so.

Including parking?
    www.decl.org

So, what y'all think? A buy at $466/sqft + tax? I come from the Eastern Block and I don't much care for detached spaces subsidized by others. (namely me)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Including parking?
    including parking

I'd say that's not too bad at all.
    www.decl.org

I'm not a fan of the Encore floor plans, all units you enter into a hallway and most have a column in the living area.

Just turn that column into usable entity like float shelving unit all around the column. Start from 2 feet up and use the entire column. Decorative objects at the higher unreachable level and more functional lower; many things can play off a column.

The 973 sq. ft. 2 beds/2 bath are my favourite layout of any new building right now.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm not exactly aware of how the condo market works, since its always been apartment living for me and mine. I doubt these are not rentals where you put up the first month and last month (as deposit) I'm guessing that these units will be priced at ~ $300,000 to start and then $466 month is condo fees/tax/crl fees etc. Other factors I'm sure are up for consideration like first time home owners grant for millennials/middle class families/newcomers etc. Other considerations I'm missing?

I am more concerned with it holding up value and condo fees. I already live in a stick built building and am not pleased. Price did not hold at all. I might be stuck with it now for 10 years.
    Is there a CRL overcharge to the property tax on top of the regular property tax?

No, the CRL just means that the property tax of new construction goes into the CRL fund, not to the city. The CRL funds can only be spent within the CRL area, including paying off the arena.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The 973 sq. ft. 2 beds/2 bath are my favourite layout of any new building right now.
    The 1501 sq. ft 2 beds/2 bath are my favourite. So much so that when we probably move back to Edmonton this fall, we'll consider a deposit on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    The 1501 sq. ft 2 beds/2 bath are my favourite. So much so that when we probably move back to Edmonton this fall, we'll consider a deposit on one.
    The building is 80% sold last I heard and that was months ago, their currently having a sale to sell as many of the remaining units. Given the size of that unit it might be a popular buy, with only the lower floors remaining.

^Ya I do too, and those could easily be made into a 3 bedroom. I would be a little concerned about overheating facing south, you'd have to have blinds.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    No, the CRL just means that the property tax of new construction goes into the CRL fund, not to the city. The CRL funds can only be spent within the CRL area, including paying off the arena.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the CRL is paid at the consumer end ie condo owners living within the CRL boundry/downtown core. The CRl then goes to the CRL fund to help not ONLY pay for the arena but to help fund NEW building projects. We're paying ~ $920 for a 2 bedroom here in Clareview in a walk up. I think its between 900-1000 sq feet.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the CRL is paid at the consumer end ie condo owners living within the CRL boundry/downtown core. The CRl then goes to the CRL fund to help not ONLY pay for the arena but to help fund NEW building projects. We're paying ~ $920 for a 2 bedroom here in Clareview in a walk up. I think its between 900-1000 sq feet.
    The CRL is not funded by new construction necessarily, it's funded by the "tax uplift" of development downtown. Meaning if pre-CRL my tax assessment was 10K and post CRL it's 15K, 5K goes into the CRL. The original 10K still goes to general revenue. This is an over implication but that is more or less how it's supposed to work.

Just turn that column into usable entity like float shelving unit all around the column. Start from 2 feet up and use the entire column. Decorative objects at the higher unreachable level and more functional lower; many things can play off a column.
    Like a pet monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The CRL is not funded by new construction necessarily, it's funded by the "tax uplift" of development downtown. Meaning if pre-CRL my tax assessment was 10K and post CRL it's 15K, 5K goes into the CRL. The original 10K still goes to general revenue. This is an over implication but that is more or less how it's supposed to work.
    In this case, it would be the difference between the sum of all the commercial/residential/parking space property taxes from the tower and the previous property taxes paid for the previous surface parking lot. Should be a nice bump to the CRL.

that's acceptable!

Yup, digging those as well.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    The building is 80% sold last I heard and that was months ago, their currently having a sale to sell as many of the remaining units. Given the size of that unit it might be a popular buy, with only the lower floors remaining.
    Used to be 70% old. Not anymore. Many who put deposits down did not qualify for mortages. There will be blood. I held off.
    Last edited by Safir; 25-03-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    that's acceptable!
    The absolute price is OK, but they jacked up the advertisement price in the paper to make it look like the discount you were getting was much steeper than it actually is. Sneaky little hobbitses.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    that's acceptable!
    The absolute price is OK, but they jacked up the advertisement price in the paper to make it look like the discount you were getting was much steeper than it actually is. Sneaky little hobbitses.
    That's not true... all the prices I saw posted were in line with what they have shown on the website since October 2018. Gollum-Safir must have been dozing...

They wus sneaky but I wus sneaky too. Don't make blow the whistle publicly.
    I recognise 'caveat emptor' has never been abolished as a principle of commerce, and do not wish them ill.

Why risk that tactic knowing people came around the very initial sales opening and may have still pondered upon this project until now. Why risk losing potential customers that could tinker to your project? It wasn't like we don't know the economic or housing sales metric in this city nor the going average price. It would be unwise for any developer to pull such tactics. You may get way for a short while, but word of mouth travels very quick...

C2E Posting Power

A buddy of mine bought the special unit they were selling yesterday. He said they had about 50 people put down deposit cheques with unconditional offers...they all the names into a draw, and he "won"

Wow! I suspect the partial outcome of the tower so far has caught attention? If indeed that outcome was true, I can't help but have high hopes for their 106st project. Up to 175 m sure couldn't hurt the skyline; and, with their proven aesthetic, I'm very excite!

They wus sneaky but I wus sneaky too. Don't make blow the whistle publicly.
    I recognise 'caveat emptor' has never been abolished as a principle of commerce, and do not wish them ill.
    Why risk that tactic knowing people came around the very initial sales opening and may have still pondered upon this project until now. Why risk losing potential customers that could tinker to your project? It wasn't like we don't know the economic or housing sales metric in this city nor the going average price. It would be unwise for any developer to pull such tactics. You may get way for a short while, but word of mouth travels very quick...
    Meaningless "paranoid without precious" drivel, please meet self-serving "must see my opinions in print constantly" drivel...

made for each other

Quote Originally Posted by Spill View Post
    From Saturday, March 23, 2019.

Encore (constr 2019.03.23)a small by Spi11, on Flickr

Encore (constr 2019.03.23)b small by Spi11, on Flickr

Encore (constr 2019.03.23)c small by Spi11, on Flickr
    Only 30 more floors to go!! 😂😜

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    That's not true... all the prices I saw posted were in line with what they have shown on the website since October 2018. Gollum-Safir must have been dozing...
    Why don't you ask for their December pricing sheet?

Well, probably because the website price list is October 2018 AND the list prices shown in the newspaper ads line up exactly with that... that's why. Nothing very sneaky (on their part) about that. I mean, developer brings out a property with one price list for opening day and over the next few years as sales occur and the construction begins, tries to increase prices to improve their returns - I guess you could be paranoid and read something horrific into that except of course that it's what every developer would try to do. What any sane business would try to do.

But never mind those facts Gollum, what pray tell does your non-published December pricing sheet show ?

Well, probably because the website price list is October 2018 AND the list prices shown in the newspaper ads line up exactly with that... that's why. Nothing very sneaky (on their part) about that. I mean, developer brings out a property with one price list for opening day and over the next few years as sales occur and the construction begins, tries to increase prices to improve their returns - I guess you could be paranoid and read something horrific into that except of course that it's what every developer would try to do. What any sane business would try to do.

But never mind those facts Gollum, what pray tell does your non-published December pricing sheet show ?
    It shows that it is March of the Current Year.

Continues to grow, have to now step back to get the top floor in frame. My picture from this afternoon.

Step back heh...

www.decl.org

Great contrast between those three.

How many more floors to go, looks sixteen-ish?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Encore is a 43 story development as in the header above.

They seem to be on floor 30 right now.

I'd rather C2E than work!

CTV show the construction & crane in the backdrop on their live webcam of the city centre on their news show. The building is coming along nicely - and from that vantage point Encore will be visible. (it is now). I am not sure which tower their webcam is mounted on Saskatchewan Drive.

www.decl.org

Beautiful bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Beautiful bank.
    Although I would like to see it wrapped into that second tower that was planned.

Getting my snaps in before I leave Edmonton next month.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Beautiful bank.
    Although I would like to see it wrapped into that second tower that was planned.
    I don't think so. This ONE OF THOSE that now must be protected at all costs. I have lots of scope should you need to wash your mouth... lol.

Off topic, is there enough space and separation for a condo in front of Commerce tower spanning a wide south elevation and super skinny west? Let say the wide side would span from 102 street abuting the antique, and built out the podium area on 101st where the gate by CIBC is?
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 08-04-2019 at 06:32 PM.

^^LOVE that angle and the gap it fills.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

I think I saw you out today taking photos. Did you see me? A bearded derelict with a shopping cart full of bottles gunning for the Quasar Bottle Depot?

www.decl.org

^That last photo looks great... but it does make me wish that Manulife 2 would get built one of these days, would be great to get that gap filled.

First One is Always Free

Oh my God!!! That hole is just begging for Manu 2!!!

Rooftop park 👌

That wouldn't have been noticed if that picture didn't popped up; it is also the least of my concerns.

www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Who owns the parking lot just north of fox one? Looks like a prime spot for another tower, also would complete that corner and compliment the Wexford tower. Have we heard anything on it?

A local lawyer and no plans.
    www.decl.org

^^ Ugh...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Is that person the owner of the parkade as well?

Waiting for "the right time" I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandonite View Post
    Waiting for "the right time" I guess.
    I wouldnít develop it if I were him. Itís a secure and safe source of revenue.

Non-accessory parking lot... days numbered.
    Last edited by IanO; 14-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.
    www.decl.org

Non-accessory parking lot... days numbers.
    Why? Itís a secure revenue stream localized in one of the most desirable neighbourhoods in the city. Iíd counter that considering the market (without having ran any numbers), developing the lot is a greater risk.

How about encouraging more infill development instead of validating a landlord's excuses for a surface parking lot?
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    How about encouraging more infill development instead of validating a landlord's excuses for a surface parking lot?
    Iím not validating any behaviour, Iím stating economic facts. Not to mention that the property owner has every right to operate the land as he sees fit so long as the lot is operated legally and within the cityís bylaws.

Discretionary use in the HA zone. We are seeing fewer and fewer non-accessory renewed, which generally leads to a higher and better use/development or a sale then development.
    www.decl.org

Discretionary use in the HA zone. We are seeing fewer and fewer non-accessory renewed, which generally leads to a higher and better use/development or a sale then development.
    I suppose how you look at it. There's a glut of non-accessory parking in downtown. I'd argue that as less lots become available, that the existing lots become more economical. Especially ones so close to both the arena and financial districts.

I could be incorrect on this, I'm not a zoning expert, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a lot to be developed just because neighboring lots are trending that way. It really depends on the owner's intentions and sentiments. He could be quite comfortable with his circumstances.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Absolutely, but point being that every 5 years that permit has to be renewed and we have seen the COE not renew non-accessory lots.
    www.decl.org

Absolutely, but point being that every 5 years that permit has to be renewed and we have seen the COE not renew non-accessory lots.
    Yup. How many though operated legally and within their respective bylaws? The city has definitely started clamping down recently on Ďillegal lotsí, Iíd be deeply concerned though if they were trying to push owners out of what is a legitimate business ran and operated properly.

I’m not validating any behaviour, I’m stating economic facts. Not to mention that the property owner has every right to operate the land as he sees fit so long as the lot is operated legally and within the city’s bylaws.
    You are stating economic assholery, I don't think owner needs the extra revenue. All surface parking lots should be banned. Period.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I’m not validating any behaviour, I’m stating economic facts. Not to mention that the property owner has every right to operate the land as he sees fit so long as the lot is operated legally and within the city’s bylaws.
    You are stating economic assholery, I don't think owner needs the extra revenue. All surface parking lots should be banned. Period.
    I think you’d feel differently if it was you owning the land and operating a business within the confines of the bylaws, and the city forced you to sell because of a negative stigma regarding what is an essential business.
    Last edited by Stevey_G; 15-04-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Yup. How many though operated legally and within their respective bylaws? The city has definitely started clamping down recently on Ďillegal lotsí, Iíd be deeply concerned though if they were trying to push owners out of what is a legitimate business ran and operated properly.
    Concur... slippery slope, but certainly those without permits need to be addressed.
    www.decl.org

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Iím not validating any behaviour, Iím stating economic facts. Not to mention that the property owner has every right to operate the land as he sees fit so long as the lot is operated legally and within the cityís bylaws.
    I think youíd feel differently if it was you owning the land and operating a business within the confines of the bylaws, and the city forced you to sell because of a negative stigma regarding what is an essential business.
    Might be a business, but I'd hardly call it essential.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Might be a business, but I'd hardly call it essential.
    Unfortunately, a lot of Edmontonians would disagree that that statement.

Just wish that the CoE would bring some strict aesthetic requirements to downtown non-accessory parking lots permits. I.e. x% has to be converted to green space, and every permit renewal on the 5 year cycle has to add an additional x% to be able to qualify.

At least then some relief would be provided from the ugly and there would be some incentive to use the lots for other purposes. Of course, the owners would never maintain the green space, but it's a nice thought.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast