Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 1,801 to 1,846 of 1846

Thread: Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

  1. #1801

    Default

    ^really? a slab and no piles? we'll end up with the *Leaning Tower of San Francisco* (Millennium Tower) !

  2. #1802
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,277

    Default

    Didn't see anyone drilling piles or hammering pilings. Maybe it's the depth and the type of substrate. 43 floors is a lot of weight though.

  3. #1803
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    ^really? a slab and no piles? we'll end up with the *Leaning Tower of San Francisco* (Millennium Tower) !
    Maybe they will have to run pipes in the ground and create permafrost to stabilize it. Like they did in Vancouver

  4. #1804

    Default

    i remember hearing that in SF they didn't use pilings for the Millennium Tower, instead they dug down 80 feet because the sand was apparently very compact and built it without them. heard a building expert say that it's OK but to me, especially in a place like SF where the ground can liquefy during say an earthquake, it seems like an unnecessary risk to take. same with Encore, in my opinion.

  5. #1805
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Geotechnical and structural engineers are maybe the most risk averse folks I have met. While there will always be risk and error/omissions, foundation designs are not something people mess around with.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  6. #1806
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    i remember hearing that in SF they didn't use pilings for the Millennium Tower, instead they dug down 80 feet because the sand was apparently very compact and built it without them. heard a building expert say that it's OK but to me, especially in a place like SF where the ground can liquefy during say an earthquake, it seems like an unnecessary risk to take. same with Encore, in my opinion.
    Or maybe the engineers know what the f#@k they are doing and none of us should worry about it? Or you perhaps you can lend your engineering expertise and show "em how it's really done!" lol

  7. #1807
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,277

    Default

    It may be the large lawsuit in Windermere by the condo association and the problems with the construction there that cause some distrust but ultima seems to be standing pretty straight.

  8. #1808
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,877

    Default

    Its easy to say in hindsight but "engineers" sure didn't know what they were doing with the Millennium Tower. That's why i poked fun at the Alldritt tower on another thread being held down by external cables. Almost everyone thought I was nuts but obviously had their selected reading comprehension blinders on. Time will tell with Encore.
    Last edited by envaneo; 25-12-2017 at 01:15 PM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  9. #1809
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Structural engineers do know what the heck they are doing. The number of failures are very small. To use one example and extrapolate that to mean they don’t know what they are doing is ignorant.

  10. #1810
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,877

    Default

    Sorry, about that. I edited my last post to reflect your last sentence.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  11. #1811
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It may be the large lawsuit in Windermere by the condo association and the problems with the construction there that cause some distrust but ultima seems to be standing pretty straight.
    People forget that the developer does not 'design' these projects. That is left to certified design professionals who have regular upgrading, education and have professional liability credits that are required.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  12. #1812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    i remember hearing that in SF they didn't use pilings for the Millennium Tower, instead they dug down 80 feet because the sand was apparently very compact and built it without them. heard a building expert say that it's OK but to me, especially in a place like SF where the ground can liquefy during say an earthquake, it seems like an unnecessary risk to take. same with Encore, in my opinion.
    Or maybe the engineers know what the f#@k they are doing and none of us should worry about it? Or you perhaps you can lend your engineering expertise and show "em how it's really done!" lol
    sure, like the engineers that knew what the f#@k they were doing with Millenium Tower, right? and i never claimed to be an engineer, smartass!

  13. #1813
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    i remember hearing that in SF they didn't use pilings for the Millennium Tower, instead they dug down 80 feet because the sand was apparently very compact and built it without them. heard a building expert say that it's OK but to me, especially in a place like SF where the ground can liquefy during say an earthquake, it seems like an unnecessary risk to take. same with Encore, in my opinion.
    Or maybe the engineers know what the f#@k they are doing and none of us should worry about it? Or you perhaps you can lend your engineering expertise and show "em how it's really done!" lol
    sure, like the engineers that knew what the f#@k they were doing with Millenium Tower, right? and i never claimed to be an engineer, smartass!
    Huh?! Who gives a rat's *** about Millenium? What does that tower have to do with Encore? Are you under the impression the same engineer firm was involved with both? See where I'm going with this? Why waste time with the doom and gloom and try impose that tower's short comings with a tower in our city.....

  14. #1814
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I don't even know anymore :/
    Posts
    991

    Default

    Structural engineers have made mistakes before, therefore all structural engineers have no idea what they're doing, and every buildings structural integrity should be questioned. Obviously...

  15. #1815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    i remember hearing that in SF they didn't use pilings for the Millennium Tower, instead they dug down 80 feet because the sand was apparently very compact and built it without them. heard a building expert say that it's OK but to me, especially in a place like SF where the ground can liquefy during say an earthquake, it seems like an unnecessary risk to take. same with Encore, in my opinion.

    Or maybe the engineers know what the f#@k they are doing and none of us should worry about it? Or you perhaps you can lend your engineering expertise and show "em how it's really done!" lol
    sure, like the engineers that knew what the f#@k they were doing with Millenium Tower, right? and i never claimed to be an engineer, smartass!
    Huh?! Who gives a rat's *** about Millenium? What does that tower have to do with Encore? Are you under the impression the same engineer firm was involved with both? See where I'm going with this? Why waste time with the doom and gloom and try impose that tower's short comings with a tower in our city.....

    "who gives a rats *ss about Millennium? *what does that have to do with Encore*?"

    the comparison is that both were apparently built without pilings.
    please step away from the Christmas cheer and re-read what i posted before commenting and stop saying that i said things i didn't say !

  16. #1816
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,530

    Default

    ^ You could do likewise, seeing that almost everyone else is telling you it's a non-issue. If you feel it is, please go talk to the City or to Westrich and share your expertise.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  17. #1817
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,538

    Default

    There wasn't any earth dug up around the foundation, like the Stantec. I believe the Enbridge Tower only has a raft slab.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  18. #1818
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Epcor as well.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  19. #1819
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^huh? Given the location and need for that pour to be continuous, that makes sense. Start after rush hour and continue until done. Some disruption for neighbours, but a onetime thing.
    Zero notice was given to their neighbors. I wasn't around on the weekend but I know numerous people in Phillips were less than amused.

  20. #1820
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Is the Board not in communication with them or them with you given the laneway? Perhaps this a good opportunity to remind.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  21. #1821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^huh? Given the location and need for that pour to be continuous, that makes sense. Start after rush hour and continue until done. Some disruption for neighbours, but a onetime thing.
    Zero notice was given to their neighbors. I wasn't around on the weekend but I know numerous people in Phillips were less than amused.
    I said this before but westrich is not a good neighbor when it comes to construction. Common courtesy doesnt exist for them.

    From my experience they do as they please with no regard to their neighbors.

  22. #1822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ You could do likewise, seeing that almost everyone else is telling you it's a non-issue. If you feel it is, please go talk to the City or to Westrich and share your expertise.
    sure, like it was a non issue with The Millennium Tower, but OK, fine, whatever.

  23. #1823

    Default

    The circumstances that permit the use of a raft slab over the guaranteed stability of pilings down to bedrock is an interesting subject to me ...

  24. #1824

    Default

    How deep is bedrock downtown? According to this http://ags.aer.ca/document/MAP/MAP_549.PDF (warning: 31MB pdf) it is 626-650m above sea level, while the elevation is 651-675m.

  25. #1825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^huh? Given the location and need for that pour to be continuous, that makes sense. Start after rush hour and continue until done. Some disruption for neighbours, but a onetime thing.
    Zero notice was given to their neighbors. I wasn't around on the weekend but I know numerous people in Phillips were less than amused.
    I said this before but westrich is not a good neighbor when it comes to construction. Common courtesy doesnt exist for them.

    From my experience they do as they please with no regard to their neighbors.

    It is certainly not a Westrich, or Edmonton anomaly. When I had a condo in Toronto, the same happened; the same delimas in NYC. It is just part of the curse with prosperity. Take it ior leave it as downtown is going through a positive phase. We all could always complaint about no development activities in downtown. I could share stories of stagnation of 30 years.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  26. #1826
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

  27. #1827
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,877

    Default

    Nice photos Thomas, thanks
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  28. #1828
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  29. #1829
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,277

    Default

    A long way and a lot of work to make grade.

  30. #1830

    Default

    we won't feel the dense impact until a year from today. I'm really excited to see how this tower and tower B (ID) will impact the skyline.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  31. #1831

    Default

    Posted from uptown_one from twitter:

    Last edited by barhonda; 25-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.

  32. #1832
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    I cannot wait to see this one begin to rise above grade.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  33. #1833
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,688

    Default

    Me too. I can't wait to see how the street will look with the podium in place.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  34. #1834

    Default

    #Nomoresurfaceparkinglots
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

  35. #1835
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    A throwback to Dec's pour from Westrich.


    www.twitter.com/westrichpacific
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  36. #1836
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Encore coming along nicely. There is a full parkade level under that slab already complete.

    www.twitter.com/uptown_one
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  37. #1837
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    St. Albert, AB
    Posts
    631

    Default

    ^ The small footprint is helping it speed along.

  38. #1838

    Default

    I cant wait to see the affect of this to the skyline; it is roughly two floors shorter than Manulife, so it should have a good impact.

  39. #1839
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    It is going to look amazing, fill in one of the key 'gaps' both in skyline and in urban fabric and will add another couple hundred people to our core.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  40. #1840
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Southwest YEG
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I cant wait to see the affect of this to the skyline; it is roughly two floors shorter than Manulife, so it should have a good impact.
    It'll be slim but the height will definitely give a nice impact. Give me 130m+ buildings all day long.....
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

  41. #1841
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,688

    Default

    So nice to see this project moving along. I've said it before and I will say it again, I can't wait to see the podium in place and how this building will continue the positive trend in the further improvement of pedestrian interactivity in the downtown core.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  42. #1842

  43. #1843
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,384

    Default

    Even with the weather we've had this winter, this parkade seems to be getting built rather quickly given how deep it was. Ultima seemed like it took longer to get to grade.

  44. #1844
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    I'd wager Ultima set the record for longest to get to grade.

  45. #1845
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Pearl.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  46. #1846

    Default

    This site has way more wiggle room then Ultima. Two side streets and two back allies for access/egress. It should steadfast the progress ahead of Ultima's standard. They also gained experience from Ultima, Sigature 1,2, and 3.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •