Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,900 of 1941

Thread: Encore | Residential Tower | Under Construction| 43 floors - 138m

^really? a slab and no piles? we'll end up with the *Leaning Tower of San Francisco* (Millennium Tower) !

I'd rather C2E than work!

Didn't see anyone drilling piles or hammering pilings. Maybe it's the depth and the type of substrate. 43 floors is a lot of weight though.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroEd View Post
    ^really? a slab and no piles? we'll end up with the *Leaning Tower of San Francisco* (Millennium Tower) !
    Maybe they will have to run pipes in the ground and create permafrost to stabilize it. Like they did in Vancouver

i remember hearing that in SF they didn't use pilings for the Millennium Tower, instead they dug down 80 feet because the sand was apparently very compact and built it without them. heard a building expert say that it's OK but to me, especially in a place like SF where the ground can liquefy during say an earthquake, it seems like an unnecessary risk to take. same with Encore, in my opinion.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Geotechnical and structural engineers are maybe the most risk averse folks I have met. While there will always be risk and error/omissions, foundation designs are not something people mess around with.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

i remember hearing that in SF they didn't use pilings for the Millennium Tower, instead they dug down 80 feet because the sand was apparently very compact and built it without them. heard a building expert say that it's OK but to me, especially in a place like SF where the ground can liquefy during say an earthquake, it seems like an unnecessary risk to take. same with Encore, in my opinion.
    Or maybe the engineers know what the f#@k they are doing and none of us should worry about it? Or you perhaps you can lend your engineering expertise and show "em how it's really done!" lol

It may be the large lawsuit in Windermere by the condo association and the problems with the construction there that cause some distrust but ultima seems to be standing pretty straight.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its easy to say in hindsight but "engineers" sure didn't know what they were doing with the Millennium Tower. That's why i poked fun at the Alldritt tower on another thread being held down by external cables. Almost everyone thought I was nuts but obviously had their selected reading comprehension blinders on. Time will tell with Encore.
    Last edited by envaneo; 25-12-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Structural engineers do know what the heck they are doing. The number of failures are very small. To use one example and extrapolate that to mean they don’t know what they are doing is ignorant.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sorry, about that. I edited my last post to reflect your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It may be the large lawsuit in Windermere by the condo association and the problems with the construction there that cause some distrust but ultima seems to be standing pretty straight.
    People forget that the developer does not 'design' these projects. That is left to certified design professionals who have regular upgrading, education and have professional liability credits that are required.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Or maybe the engineers know what the f#@k they are doing and none of us should worry about it? Or you perhaps you can lend your engineering expertise and show "em how it's really done!" lol
    sure, like the engineers that knew what the f#@k they were doing with Millenium Tower, right? and i never claimed to be an engineer, smartass!

C2E Posting Power

sure, like the engineers that knew what the f#@k they were doing with Millenium Tower, right? and i never claimed to be an engineer, smartass!
    Huh?! Who gives a rat's *** about Millenium? What does that tower have to do with Encore? Are you under the impression the same engineer firm was involved with both? See where I'm going with this? Why waste time with the doom and gloom and try impose that tower's short comings with a tower in our city.....

C2E Continued Contributor

Structural engineers have made mistakes before, therefore all structural engineers have no idea what they're doing, and every buildings structural integrity should be questioned. Obviously...

Huh?! Who gives a rat's *** about Millenium? What does that tower have to do with Encore? Are you under the impression the same engineer firm was involved with both? See where I'm going with this? Why waste time with the doom and gloom and try impose that tower's short comings with a tower in our city.....

"who gives a rats *ss about Millennium? *what does that have to do with Encore*?"

the comparison is that both were apparently built without pilings.
    please step away from the Christmas cheer and re-read what i posted before commenting and stop saying that i said things i didn't say !

^ You could do likewise, seeing that almost everyone else is telling you it's a non-issue. If you feel it is, please go talk to the City or to Westrich and share your expertise.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

There wasn't any earth dug up around the foundation, like the Stantec. I believe the Enbridge Tower only has a raft slab.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Epcor as well.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^huh? Given the location and need for that pour to be continuous, that makes sense. Start after rush hour and continue until done. Some disruption for neighbours, but a onetime thing.
    Zero notice was given to their neighbors. I wasn't around on the weekend but I know numerous people in Phillips were less than amused.

Is the Board not in communication with them or them with you given the laneway? Perhaps this a good opportunity to remind.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    ^huh? Given the location and need for that pour to be continuous, that makes sense. Start after rush hour and continue until done. Some disruption for neighbours, but a onetime thing.
    Zero notice was given to their neighbors. I wasn't around on the weekend but I know numerous people in Phillips were less than amused.
    I said this before but westrich is not a good neighbor when it comes to construction. Common courtesy doesnt exist for them.

From my experience they do as they please with no regard to their neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ You could do likewise, seeing that almost everyone else is telling you it's a non-issue. If you feel it is, please go talk to the City or to Westrich and share your expertise.
    sure, like it was a non issue with The Millennium Tower, but OK, fine, whatever.

The circumstances that permit the use of a raft slab over the guaranteed stability of pilings down to bedrock is an interesting subject to me ...

How deep is bedrock downtown? According to this http://ags.aer.ca/document/MAP/MAP_549.PDF (warning: 31MB pdf) it is 626-650m above sea level, while the elevation is 651-675m.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I said this before but westrich is not a good neighbor when it comes to construction. Common courtesy doesnt exist for them.

From my experience they do as they please with no regard to their neighbors.

It is certainly not a Westrich, or Edmonton anomaly. When I had a condo in Toronto, the same happened; the same delimas in NYC. It is just part of the curse with prosperity. Take it ior leave it as downtown is going through a positive phase. We all could always complaint about no development activities in downtown. I could share stories of stagnation of 30 years.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice photos Thomas, thanks

www.decl.org

A long way and a lot of work to make grade.

we won't feel the dense impact until a year from today. I'm really excited to see how this tower and tower B (ID) will impact the skyline.

Posted from uptown_one from twitter:

Last edited by barhonda; 25-01-2018 at 10:36 AM.

I cannot wait to see this one begin to rise above grade.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Me too. I can't wait to see how the street will look with the podium in place.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

#Nomoresurfaceparkinglots
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

A throwback to Dec's pour from Westrich.

www.twitter.com/westrichpacific
    www.decl.org

Encore coming along nicely. There is a full parkade level under that slab already complete.

www.twitter.com/uptown_one
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

^ The small footprint is helping it speed along.

I cant wait to see the affect of this to the skyline; it is roughly two floors shorter than Manulife, so it should have a good impact.

It is going to look amazing, fill in one of the key 'gaps' both in skyline and in urban fabric and will add another couple hundred people to our core.
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I cant wait to see the affect of this to the skyline; it is roughly two floors shorter than Manulife, so it should have a good impact.
    It'll be slim but the height will definitely give a nice impact. Give me 130m+ buildings all day long.....
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

C2E SME

So nice to see this project moving along. I've said it before and I will say it again, I can't wait to see the podium in place and how this building will continue the positive trend in the further improvement of pedestrian interactivity in the downtown core.

Even with the weather we've had this winter, this parkade seems to be getting built rather quickly given how deep it was. Ultima seemed like it took longer to get to grade.

I'd wager Ultima set the record for longest to get to grade.

Pearl.
    www.decl.org

This site has way more wiggle room then Ultima. Two side streets and two back allies for access/egress. It should steadfast the progress ahead of Ultima's standard. They also gained experience from Ultima, Sigature 1,2, and 3.

Pagnotta is doing the work we are seeing, hence the speed.
    www.decl.org

There are other factors as well Ian such as availibity of quality carpenters and other trade personels that are more abundant today than during boom peek. It is not one factor that is seeing the results. Pagnotta is only good as what they have at that time. Take the arena for example. During the height of the oil sands production developments, I doubted PLC would have the ability to pull that off so quickly. I wouldn't pin point that directly to Pagnotta despite that they have great results in the past.

Obviously multiple factors, but the largest by FAR is chosing Pagnotta. They know how to get it done. ITC as well.
    Last edited by IanO; 02-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    www.decl.org

I'm know them well. Mario is great.

DSC_3244
    by b/c, on Flickr

DSC_3240
    by b/c, on Flickr

Encore Tower

Sunday March 11, 2018 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr

Sunday March 11, 2018 by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

www.decl.org

Inching ever closer to grade.

I'll have a good view of this tower after the podium is completed, going to be great to watch this go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    I'll have a good view of this tower after the podium is completed, going to be great to watch this go up.
    That's going to be fun to watch... Hopefully, you can post regular pics to keep the rest of us up to speed ? Thanks if you can !

^
    Are you at Fox or Ultima?

^
    Ultima on the West side, actually will have a good view of Tower B as well. I'll try to post pictures when I can, though I'm out of town half the time for work.

^
    Ultima on the West side, actually will have a good view of Tower B as well. I'll try to post pictures when I can, though I'm out of town half the time for work.
    I have a south facing unit Ultima as well so will be posting photo updates on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
    I have a south facing unit Ultima as well so will be posting photo updates on a weekly basis.
    I am looking forward to an effective & entertaining time-lapse tag-team !

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    You can also go to Rogesplace.com for different camera views and time lapse. Very cool. Works ok on mobile but better on laptop.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Please do guys! That would be greatly welcomed by me.

These guys are really flying.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0K6RrMrAMj...foundation.jpg

Verrry scary... maybe that's why you were yearning for a few "pile-drivers" ?

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

^ Nice pic of not Encore...

but that white crane...

I used to get annoyed when pictures like this were posted as well lobbdogg, but i've since realized that the crane gives a visible representation of where Encore will be so you can use your imagination to see how the tower will look from a given location.

Bingo! That crane is Encore at this stage.

^^exactly. Perspective.
    www.decl.org

@skyrisecities
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Did your shoes get muddy?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Haha, no.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Cool. So it looks like their getting closer and closer to grade. Another couple months hopefully?

To grade? Maybe 7-10days.
    www.decl.org

To grade? Maybe 7-10days.
    A little optimistic, I'd say. Their original plan that we were told about was a parking level every 5 weeks. They are certainly ahead of that schedule but there is another 1.5 levels to go before they can pour slab on grade so I think 4-6 weeks would be more likely...

C2E SME

Yeah, they're a month or two away from pouring the main floor.

It looked like they were higher than they were, didn't notice that there is another full parkade floor to go.
    www.decl.org

But as you said on a previous post "These guys are really flying."

WP's original plan worked out to middle of July for slab on grade and they're going to be way ahead of that...

( the benefit of using Pagnotta )

Nice shot. I hope you get back to where you took that in 12 months and at completion.

Pearl will be gone from that view.

^^will do and ^I will stand slightly left
    www.decl.org

^^will do and ^I will stand slightly left
    Lol. I wouldn’t mind getting up there at sunset with my rokinon lens for an ultra-wide snap.

I don't have regular access, but we can probably arrange something.
    www.decl.org

I don't have regular access, but we can probably arrange something.
    Yeah man that’d be fun. I’ve been contemplating talking to some of the tower managers and doing something of a “tour of downtown from above”. If you were interested we should talk to them. Bell Tower seemed receptive to the idea.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Last edited by Kreation; 13-04-2018 at 03:08 PM.

It will be fun to see it rise out of the surroundings ! What floor are you on Kreation ?

It will be fun to see it rise out of the surroundings ! What floor are you on Kreation ?
    Looks to be Floor 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Looks to be Floor 6.
    Actually almost double that, I'm on the 11th...

Looks to be Floor 6.
    How do ya like the Ultima?

Looks to be Floor 6.
    Oh ! are you in the unique suite on top of the amenity lounge ?

This is a very important corner to develop out. They are really moving along.

if they turn encore into rentals last minute like their other project will people still think it's not a big deal???

if they turn encore into rentals last minute like their other project will people still think it's not a big deal???
    sigh...these were pre-sold buddy. Which means they sold enough units already to justify the build. They hysteria on C2E man...never gets old though

C2E SME

If they returned the deposits along with fair compensation for having held that money and in line with the sales agreements, then I wouldn't see why it would be a big deal. Again, a project changing from rental to condo or vice versa, and possibly more than once, is not unheard of.

Which other project did that happen with?

C2E SME

Signature 3. It is, to hear gwill211 tell it, the absolute end of the world as we know it.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast