Thread: Second Garage

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Second Garage

I live in a front garage home. I also have an alley way in the back because the houses behind me are all back garage homes. The developer of the neighborhood isn't going to put a fence to separate us from the alley like they do in other neighborhoods. It is up to us to put up a fence ourselve. Since there's an alley way that means I can also access my backyard from there. So instead of just putting up a fence, I want to build another garage in the back. Does anyone know if there's any rule against this?

Talk to the city planning department. I have seen one or two houses that have a front drive garage in the front and a garage built in the back. Give the city a call and they will tell you if you can do that on your property.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Hi I called the city 311 already. They gave me a bunch of links that doesn't really say and that's it. Where in Edmonton did you see those houses? I'd like to talk to their builder or owner.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

You can build a second structure on a property provided the total yard coverage for both buildings combined does not exceed a certain amount of the lot size. I think the value is 40%. You also need to comply with the required setbacks from the side and rear property lines. The City has a brouchure on detached garages. I have a double front garage and a second single garage in my back yard. I am using the second one as a workshop but it can be converted to a garage if I wanted to.

There is nothing to prohibit the second structure from being a garage with an access to a public alley. If you have a corner lot and want the doors to face a public roadway you may need to get a permit from the Transportation Department.
    Last edited by knowitall; 08-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Or you can call it a shed withan overhead door.

My home and my neighbour's home both have second double garages out back (accessed via front drives). It's nice to have but I really wish the original owner had taken a moment to think about design and placement.

Ours could have been placed on the lot close to the house if not attached to the house, instead of near the back of the yard. It could have been designed to also serve as a covered patio / garden room / play room. They also poured concrete right up to the fence meaning we can't plant anything substantial along the fence line. Not even cedars. That part of the yard has a crappy "industrial" feel to it since all you see is concrete and then fence.

Someday I'd like to remove all my woodworking and other tools, lawn mower, etc, and convert it into a lounging / entertainment room, with fireplace, couches, add glass garage doors, bigger windows overlooking the yard, etc, plus build a covered patio (outdoor room) over the driveway to better ' tie' it to the house and 'transistion' it into the surrounding yard. Done right I could still use it for boat, snowmobile or whatever storage in the winter.

My neighbour used his to restore old cars but now uses his as an exercise room. They are now creating a patio out in front of the garage doors because their home's attached deck was rarely used or too hot or something.

Ours has a roof pitch and style matching our home. That's good but I miss my parent's garage with a large i-beam supported, walkable attic with large doors opening into the yard ( great for stuffing bikes, tires, etc up there for the winter.)

A former coworker had an attached garage accessed via the alley. Nice!
    Last edited by KC; 10-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.

How much would it cost (approx) for each of these:

- pour 24 * 22 concrete pad as foundation
    - install plumming
    - install extra electrical work
    - frame of the suite
    - install furnace