View Poll Results: Do you support renaming the Edmonton International Airport after Max Ward

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - name it the Max Ward Edmonton International Airport

23 27.06%
  • Yes - name it the Max Ward International Airport

13 15.29%
  • Yes - name the international and/or domestic terminal after Max Ward

10 11.76%
  • Yes - I don't care what you name at YEG, honour the man!

5 5.88%
  • No

34 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max Ward - the story of Wardair - includes poll

Riverwalker
    I went online and can not see an "About" tab. I thought it was operated by a not for profit and would have internet info as to governance, management, financial reports etc. Maybe I am missing seeing where this is located. There was a web tab for donations though. Can anyone provide a link to this information?
    The Alberta Aviation Museum Association is a registered not for profit society and registered charity in compliance with the laws of Alberta, Canada and CRA.

We do not post financial information on line but it is publically availabile through CRA and other government departments for those that wish to access it and made availabile to our members at the Annual General Meeting.

Ctzn-Ed
    (6.5+ million visitors vs a museum that, basically, nobody goes to).
    I'm not going to get into an attendance argument based on how many pass through EIA.

Sufficent to say our attendance/useage is doing just fine compared to other Museums in the GEA and Aviation Museums across Alberta and Canada.

The other thread outlines the research we have done and the conclusions so I am not going to repeat it.

But to put it into perspective...

There are only (3) Aviation Museums in Canada attached to International Airports if you count the BCAM which is located as far from the actual airport operations as possible in Victoria British Columbia.

The others are:

1) Western Canadian Aviation Museum in Winnipeg Manitoba, if memory serves 7km from the City Core.

2) Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton Ontario, an airport that recieves only limited airline service from Westjet, is far closer to the Hamilton downtown core.
    (Don't have the exat kms handy, it's only a 15 minute drive as I have done it many times as recently as June 2012)

I really don't think you want to consider EIA and Hamilton/Victoria International Airports comparables, then again maybe you do.

Going by memory (all I've got at this time of night and not being in my office) I believe only Kansas City, Seattle and the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy Centre are attached to International Airports in the USA and information provided from their representatives are a portion of the information that lead to our conclusions.

Again going by memory (so I could be wrong) there are no aviation museums attached to International airports in Europe.

But a question to you...if our conclusions are incorrect and your assumptions are correct and attaching tourism attractions/museums/etc. to International Airports is such a good idea why is it so rare?

(Considering the number of Aviation Museums/MajorTourism Attractions Internationally and the number of International Airports)

In my highly biased PERSONAL opinion

BTW

The Alberta Aviation Museum,The Canadian Aviation Hall of Fame and Reynolds Alberta Museum all have displays at EIA thanks to EIA's co operation.

Have you or anyone else on the forum seen them?

They have been there for some years.

I don't care to argue ' tit for tat' either Tom. My concept of museum is not one of general aviation as you seem to be alluding and postulating to. I was refering to a small commemorative museum pertaining of Mr. Ward only within EIA's structure. If we're so hyped about honouring this man, there is no sense of hiding it under the bed either- refering only to population that will see the relevency of his outstanding contribution. As mentioned, when 6.5+ passengers use this airport, chances are his legacy will be remembered, learned, and respected for better than the museum you have interested in and championing for. I think i'm safe in asserting your current museum is lucky if it draws in 100k visitors a year. You do the math if we're talking about affectiveness in paying homage to someone. To reiterate, im not implying a competing museum to yours...
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 15-08-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Spell correction

Ctzn-Ed
    To reiterate, im not implying a competing museum to yours...
    Thank you for clearing that, by the flow of the thread you appeared to be supporting Edm Trekkers position which is precisely why I have responded the way I have.

That said...
    As mentioned, when 6.5+ passengers use this airport, chances are his legacy will be remembered, learned, and respected for better than the museum you have interested in and championing for.
    Sorry but based on research and experience it's my opinion you are mistaken. It's more than raw numbers, it's why people are there and the time they allow themselves to be there that becomes the deciding factor.

It's a nice thought and I respect the intent but if we truly wish to take it to that level then it should be done at a more civic level...city hall as an example, where the demographic make up and the reason for visitation are not as directed or time limited.

Then of course we will get into the whole argument of those not treated the same way, McConachie...Bannock...Britnell and others that left major marks on not just Edmonton, Alberta, Canada but changed the aviation industry across the world.

Then it dawned on me earlier in this thread...while I agree and the support the naming and properly recognizing Max Ward, someone should likely ask his permission to do so.

In my highly biased PERSONAL opinion.

I would concur with the civic location as a more pertinent and ideal staging and fairness to other illuminites; but on the theme of contribution to aviation, EIA is far more fitting.

When i started my career in the industry it was with Wardair, part of our induction was to watch a video about Max and his contemporaries. Max Ward, Punch Dickens, Wop May et al all need to be recognized as the pioneers of this industry. Edmonton has a unique relationship with the infancy of aviation, unfortunately, apart from Mr. Hinderks and his efforts and a select few, this is lost on the local population.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I would concur with the civic location as a more pertinent and ideal staging and fairness to other illuminites; but on the theme of contribution to aviation, EIA is far more fitting.
    Tom is hanging in there in the hopes a runway will stay open. Citizens will be outraged if there is any attempt to do that by Council. The decision has been made...and everyone needs to go forward. If the AAM can function without access to an active runway - great. But there will NOT be any shows, planes flying in...and Ms. Stanway running her business from CCA.

I dont see that point of view at all Riverwalker- although im not perturbed by it. What, in essence, he was advocating is that we dont need two aviation museum and i concur with that. That location deserves that museum. If you are somewhat knowledgeable of that airport, it has signicant history. Further more, if you peruse through other topics pertaining to EIA, Tom is just as much a supporter of it as you and I. He just has incredible passion for airplanes and aviation in general; as well quite knowledgeable of that genre.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 16-08-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Correcting auto correct

Tom is hanging in there in the hopes a runway will stay open.
    Riverwalker

I really don't like people putting words in my mouth.

I have clearly stated on other threads and in many forums that the ECCA decision is made the discussion over. I may not like it or agree but it's done.

Both myself personally and the facility are long past that discussion, you might try it yourself.

In my highly biased PERSONAL opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I dont see that point of view at all Riverwalker- although im not perturbed by it. What, in essence, he was advocating is that we dont need to aviation museum and i concur with that. That location deaerves that museum. If are somewhat knowledgeable of that airport, it has aignicant history. Further more, if you peruse through other topics pertaining to EIA, Tom is just as much a supporter of it as you and I. He just has in redible for airplanes and aviation in general; as well quite knowledgeable of that genre.
    Thank you

^
    I revised it Tom. New phone and slightly different from iphone which i was used to. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by rime ice View Post
    When i started my career in the industry it was with Wardair, part of our induction was to watch a video about Max and his contemporaries. Max Ward, Punch Dickens, Wop May et al all need to be recognized as the pioneers of this industry. Edmonton has a unique relationship with the infancy of aviation, unfortunately, apart from Mr. Hinderks and his efforts and a select few, this is lost on the local population.
    Thanks for the kind words rime ice

Once we get through the current process with the COE and can get back to growing rather than holding the line we intend on continuing to change that.

As a visitor from the UK put it to me yesterday...
    "This is really where it all happened"

Our European visitor ship continues to increase according to our guest logs, our out of or region recognition is pretty astounding.

We were invited to the PA Airshow in Saskatchewan and almost everyone that came by knew about the museum and the "Spirit of Edmonton" Bi Plane even though weather didn't let us fly it up.

I firmly believe that we are on the right path and are doing the right things.

Tom

body break ad featuring Wardair lol

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    body break ad featuring Wardair lol

Love the aircraft. Tacky commercial...LOLOL
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Wow! what a discussion, this reminds me of a National Film Board documentary on Max Ward. Here, take a look: http://www.nfb.ca/film/max_ward/
    Watching this makes me realize how far we have advanced since 1984 in airlines and aviation in this country.

I recently saw Max Ward's former personally owned Twin Otter flying missions for the Government of Manitoba out of Gimli.

Like Grant McConachie, I think it would be a more fitting if Max Ward and/or Wardair were remember by the naming/re-naming of one or a new Air Cadet Squadron in the Edmonton area:

12 City of Edmonton
    395 Edmonton
    504 Blatchford Field
    570 Sir Winston Churchill
    699 Jasper Place
    810 Grant McConachie
    'burbs:
    287 Beaumont Spitfire
    524 Sturgeon (Bon Accord)
    533 Sabre (St. Albert)
    755 Parkland (Stony Plain)
    831 Leduc Black Knight

C2E Long Term Contributor

I've heard that down in Mooville they want to rename YYC the Peter Lougheed International Airport.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Article from the Sun

click here

...never happen...Calgary would lose it's identity...how would those poor visitors know where they were going to, in, or leaving...???[/sarcasm]

oh...I know..they are not scared of that..
    President and CEO - Edmonton Airshow

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Father View Post
    Wow! what a discussion, this reminds me of a National Film Board documentary on Max Ward. Here, take a look: http://www.nfb.ca/film/max_ward/
    Watching this makes me realize how far we have advanced since 1984 in airlines and aviation in this country.

I recently saw Max Ward's former personally owned Twin Otter flying missions for the Government of Manitoba out of Gimli.

Like Grant McConachie, I think it would be a more fitting if Max Ward and/or Wardair were remember by the naming/re-naming of one or a new Air Cadet Squadron in the Edmonton area:

12 City of Edmonton
    395 Edmonton
    504 Blatchford Field
    699 Jasper Place
    810 Grant McConachie
    'burbs:
    287 Beaumont Spitfire
    533 Sabre (St. Albert)
    831 Leduc Black Knight
    While almost all of the Squadrons you list are over 100+ Cadets (some 150) it we be sometime before a new one is created as there is a critical shortage of affordable facilities to act as home the the existing never mind a new one.

Shame when a free to the parents program can't find homes.

That said I think naming a new Squadron after Mr. Ward is a great idea and I would guess one he would support.

Take flying to the MAX! Visit Edmonton.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Take flying to the MAX! Visit Edmonton.
    Hey that's cool, I like that!!
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    I still believe they should rename Edmontion International Airport the Max Ward international in honor of this legend.

A fitting tribute.

if you can find 100 people on the street picked at random who know who he is I'll support it. if not, Keep it EIA!
    They say weed is a gateway.. TO WHAT? The Fridge?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by E-ville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    I still believe they should rename Edmontion International Airport the Max Ward international in honor of this legend.

A fitting tribute.

if you can find 100 people on the street picked at random who know who he is I'll support it. if not, Keep it EIA!
    I won't support it. The brand is "Edmonton" and that must be front and centre in the mind of travellers, businesses and and the air transport industry. To honour the man name the Alberta Aviation Museum after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Father View Post

12 City of Edmonton
    395 Edmonton
    504 Blatchford Field
    699 Jasper Place
    810 Grant McConachie
    'burbs:
    287 Beaumont Spitfire
    533 Sabre (St. Albert)
    831 Leduc Black Knight
    I just skipped through this 1984 documentary after a friend sent me the YouTube link (see below)

Looks very interesting and the last few minutes on their future planning issues, where they discuss Alberta’s recession, were interesting because about 30 years later we’re ended up right back in that same situation.

Max Ward - YouTube
    1984 documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChU8yEzvbhc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12