Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Behaviour of Cops in Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rupikhalon001 View Post
    Move along lady..
    Lady?

In old-school comedy and whatnot, people addressing women they don't know often call them "lady", eg. "Look lady, I haven't seen your dog, and if it looks anything like you, I wouldn't want to!"

And these days, "Nothing to see here" is used sarcastically to indicate that there is, in fact, something to see here, ie. bad stuff is going on, and people are trying to cover it up.

So my educated guess would be that rupik was supporting the woman for taking an interest in the situation, by doing a mocking impersonation of people who want her to stay out of it. And he was using somewhat antiquated language, as is typical in that sort of routine.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

C2E Continued Contributor

How exactly is four officers speaking to someone “intimidating”? Nowhere was it mentioned that the cops were threatening the man, raising their voices, or surrounding the man. They only started listing off possible charges once she intervened and that was probably more to inform her that they weren’t “hassling” but were actually lawfully placed. They even let the guy leave after she intervened (the right thing to do imo) even though they did technically have lawful authority to hold him there.

I just don’t see the issue in this specific incident other than the female in question saw four cops doing their job properly and got offended. How is this news?

Cops normally are in pairs, so having "backup" despite it just being one peaceful dude is a bit of an overreaction.

And given the ethnicity of those involved & the less-than-stellar reputation EPS (rightfully) has in dealing with minorities I can quickly see how people can feel intimidated & anxious around cops.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Move along lady..
    Lady?
    In old-school comedy and whatnot, people addressing women they don't know often call them "lady", eg. "Look lady, I haven't seen your dog, and if it looks anything like you, I wouldn't want to!" And these days, "Nothing to see here" is used sarcastically to indicate that there is, in fact, something to see here, ie. bad stuff is going on, and people are trying to cover it up. So my educated guess would be that rupik was supporting the woman for taking an interest in the situation, by doing a mocking impersonation of people who want her to stay out of it. And he was using somewhat antiquated language, as is typical in that sort of routine. He can correct me if I'm wrong, of course.
    hehe... That's funny. It was a bit of both to be honest. But in reality, if the police are interacting with a person I would not be interfering. The police are better trained and equiped than most people for these types of situations.That does bring up an interesting question though. Let's say you see the police visibly and violently beat somebody who you are %100 POSITIVE that is not the guy they are looking for. I suspect you could intervene but you may be on the other end of a beating.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    'Why do you need four officers?': Edmonton woman questions police interaction with homeless man

An Edmonton woman is raising concerns about how vulnerable people are policed after witnessing what she called an intimidating interaction between a homeless man and local officers.

Chelsea Vowel was on her way into the McDonald's near Kingsway Mall last Wednesday morning when she walked by a man experiencing homelessness. She asked if he wanted a coffee and some food, and brought it out to him before going back inside to buy her own meal.

Shortly after, Vowel said a customer told her police were "hassling" the man.
    So who is Chelsea Vowel. What are her qualifications? Because she's evoking sweeping licence with these assertions. She's the expert..

"We need to deal with panhandling in a different way, in a more compassionate way. And police officers are not social workers," said Vowel, who is Métis.
    "Being homeless and ... needing money and needing food shouldn't be criminalized."

While its a reasonable enough statement it doesn't consider that the same police probably deal with the same situations constantly in the beat area and that all such compassion can wear out. Nor does it acknowledge that there may be other underlying precedent with the individual, who is likely known to the police. Chelsea speaks as if she knows what this homeless person is always like. Does she?
    who is Chelsea vowel?

she just may be someone who knows more about what that person is always like than you seem to want to acknowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Vowel

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    How exactly is four officers speaking to someone “intimidating”? Nowhere was it mentioned that the cops were threatening the man, raising their voices, or surrounding the man. They only started listing off possible charges once she intervened and that was probably more to inform her that they weren’t “hassling” but were actually lawfully placed. They even let the guy leave after she intervened (the right thing to do imo) even though they did technically have lawful authority to hold him there.

I just don’t see the issue in this specific incident other than the female in question saw four cops doing their job properly and got offended. How is this news?
    and given her own background and knowledge, she may well have had good grounds for taking offense.

and maybe these are exactly the kinds of things that should be news more often, not just so that they get handled better but so that as a society we stop doing those things that perpetuate their happening in the first place. and maybe chelsea vowel could help with that.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^ I looked it up Ken. the same Wiki. I was asking rhetorically. Also in all source articles there is no mention of her actually knowing the person, or the specific situation. She very clearly does not know who the person is, just that he "was possibly homeless" She doesn't know the individual any more than I likely would.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-07-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Compassion, concern & care should only be reserved for those one is acquainted with?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

[QUOTE=rupikhalon001;938054]
    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Move along lady..
    Lady?
    That does bring up an interesting question though. Let's say you see the police visibly and violently beat somebody who you are %100 POSITIVE that is not the guy they are looking for. I suspect you could intervene but you may be on the other end of a beating.
    In that case, I suspect I might be overtaken by macho moralism, and intervene knowing the risk that I might be the next punching bag. (I base this on the time that I had my briefcase snatched from my hand, and just for the helluvit decided to give chase, and ended up getting pummeled by the thief's buddies who had been lurking nearby, granted that was almost twenty years ago.)

In the case of the miscreant cops, though, my intervention probably wouldn't be physical, just expressing my view that I don't appreciate their tactics. I did once see a group of cops in the inner city chase and tackle a dude, with one of the cops administering what to me looked like an unwarranted kick. A cop(not sure if it was the kicker or not) came over and told me rather unceremoniously remove myself from the area. I argued with him for a bit, pointed out that I was on a public sidewalk, but vamoosed forthwith after he threatened to arrest me.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Compassion, concern & care should only be reserved for those one is acquainted with?
    Not what I'm replying to. Ken alluded that Chelsea "just may know more about the person"

Its very clear in the article she does not know the person, and is not familiar with the person.

This sidebar only being discussed because the police may actually have particulars on the person they were responding to.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Knowing someone personally & knowing about someone's situation are two different things.

I may not know someone's own personal struggles that have lead to them becoming homeless, but as someone who has experienced homelessness/street life myself, I think it's reasonable to say I know about the situation of homelessness/street life.

The woman who got involved is a Metis activist, so I would wager she has her own set of experiences that help inform her views of people on the street that are by virtue of her upbringing & cultural background, inherently different than a cranky old white dude online complaining that someone cares too much, or in the wrong way, or whatever you're on your spiteful soapbox for now.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^

i was going to respond but noodle beat me to it on this one.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Knowing someone personally & knowing about someone's situation are two different things.

I may not know someone's own personal struggles that have lead to them becoming homeless, but as someone who has experienced homelessness/street life myself, I think it's reasonable to say I know about the situation of homelessness/street life.

The woman who got involved is a Metis activist, so I would wager she has her own set of experiences that help inform her views of people on the street that are by virtue of her upbringing & cultural background, inherently different than a cranky old white dude online complaining that someone cares too much, or in the wrong way, or whatever you're on your spiteful soapbox for now.
    Couldn't wait for you to jump to complete ahole form again. What took you so long?

Not at all what was meant and you know it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-07-2019 at 07:49 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

How do we even know what the cops were talking to the gentleman about? Again, there was no documentation of yelling or threatening. For all we know they were going to give him a ride to a shelter or call the Hope Mission van even if just to get him out of the area. Just assuming that because four cops are talking to one guy that it is automatically a bad thing is a bit over the top. We can't assume we know what was actually said or how it was said.

I understand that the image of four cops standing around an Indigenous person experiencing homelessness is bad. I just don't like her immediate assumption that the cops were up to no good. Again, no other evidence points to that being the case.
    Last edited by Mla; 19-07-2019 at 03:03 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I know the Whyte Ave beats officers are often checking up on some of the homeless people in the area. When they hadn’t seen one guy for a few days they asked business owners in the area to let them know if he was seen because they were worried about him.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

2019 has not been a good year for EPS' public image.
    I will beat the dead horse back to life.

^ Meanwhile they get paid more and more. Does this mean that if the good Samaritan had called in with a different set of symptoms EMS would have been there sooner ?Once again fire fighters are there first.

I saw an accident last year on the south side. Pieces of cars all over the road, road blocked, EMS , fire where there doing there work. EPS, nowhere to be seen nor never showed up.

I get that there has to be priorities but we sure seem to spend an awful lot of money on the police budget.

I'd rather C2E than work!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...eras-1.5260814

EPS, they of "No Rats" T-shirts and stalking journalists, will never accept anything that makes them publicly accountable.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

And I suppose we don’t steal vehicles in Canada either.

So people with issues suffer more brain injury, trauma, etc. and the cycle spirals ever faster downhill - at ever more taxpayers’ and society's expense.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567