Thread: Heritage and History section

Default Heritage and History section

C2E by it's mandate is a forum of all things Edmonton.

Yet things get lost in the blend...

Example...Arts and Culture

Edmonton has a strong Arts Community, a good thing, the downside being the History and Heritage community is smothered by the very same Arts and Culture community.

There are literally dozens of museums, large and small, that tell the history of Edmonton and area yet you rarely see anything on the forum about them (except for my constant attempts).

History is the foundation we build our future on and our community, like a home, needs a strong foundation to last. Rather than allow it to be overwhelmed, ignored or left to the persistent few lets create a section where it has it's own voice.

Working with the area Museums and Edmonton Heritage Council C2E could create a history/heritage section that would give voice and story to the amazing and exciting history of Edmonton and allow smaller museums to have a voice and promote themselves to the community.

Thoughts?

I agree!
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

C2E Long Term Contributor

Great idea. This can include all the ongoing nostalgia threads.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Be great to get someone from the City of Edmonton Archives to be a guest columnist to kick a thread like this off. That is one of those little known and talked about museums that Thomas is talking about. They have a treasure trove of stuff in the Prince of Wales Armoury.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Done. Feel free to send a report post for any threads that should be included in this new forum.

Thanks Admin

Will send report posts over next couple days and start adding some new content.

Will also advise EHC and other museums

Great addition

Tom

I hope it works out well. The thing I'll worry about is that now culture, heritage and history will be seen as two separate entities when in fact one tends to flow "seamlessly" into the other. It's a bit like arbitrarily separating an individual's current sense of being and activities from her/his upbringing, schooling, prior work experience, etc.

Moreover, many of today's young people are overwhelmed events in their current world with little or no exposure, even if accidental, to our society's past. Without that exposure and integrated view of life and society they risk developing quite insensitive views towards retaining anything to do with the past (the past before their own time, that is).

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I have moved several threads to this forum. I will potentially break this up into subforums on specific heritage/history areas (i.e. Early Settlement, Fur Trade, Geologic History, etc) if required.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Done. Feel free to send a report post for any threads that should be included in this new forum.
    Please use the report post functionality vs posting in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

A question: can some threads be cross-linked between two forums?
    yes. I will leave a referring link in the old forum.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Please use the report post functionality vs posting in this thread.
    Can't you at least keep my posts available until I can send those thread links to you? I am NOT going through all the trouble of searching for them again.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

They are still visible to me. Remember that the only posts that are deleted are spam posts. All others are simply hidden. There is no need to repost.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Done