Thread: Wild Earth Foods - 99 St/89 Ave

Default Wild Earth Foods - 99 St/89 Ave

I just moved to the area a few months ago. Whether deserved or not, my opinion was that a small 'niche' grocery store like this would be too expensive for me to regularly shop at. I could not have been more wrong.

First of all, it is absolutely amazing how much product they have fit into that tiny space, while still keeping it well organized and easy to navigate. And second, their prices are great. General grocery items are comparable to the 'big guys', but their prices on produce and especially meats are amazing. As an example, a pound of ground beef that is $7.50 at Bonnie Doon Safeway is just over $5 at Wild earth. A package of pork chops that are $5 at Safeway are $2.50!

They also feature local product which has given me occasion to try some new stuff I otherwise would not have, and they have a real decent selection of ethnic and other speciality items.

Staff seem friendly enough...and line-ups at the till are non-existent.

I recommend this place to anyone who may live in the area or a short trip away.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Welcome to the area, Bulliver.

Yeah, Wild Earth is great. They stock some things I haven't seen at other stores before, and their selection of hot sauces is quiet good, especially given their size. I buy pizza sauce from there, and it's $1.69 while the same jar at Safeway is $2.59, and this is Safeway branded sauce (I don't understand how that's possible).

If you buy any baked goods there, just double-check the expiration date as I've noticed many things are still on the shelves after they've expired.

Thanks Gord, good advice. And speaking of baked goods, have you had occasion to try either Tree Stone or Empress Bakery? Was thinking of trying them for a nice loaf for lunch sandwiches...
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Tree Stone makes wonderful bread. More expensive, but worth it.

It's funny how things change but stay the same. When I lived in that neighborhood and frequented the IGA (before it was Wild Earth) their prices were always competitive but their baked goods always required a once over.

The baguettes at Tree Stone are always popular. My wife likes their "ancient grains" bread as well. I've only been to Empress a few times - I found the person working there to have a poor attitude when I went.

Wild Earth Bakery is quite awesome, but I find some of the prices of their stuff to be high, and I get REALLY annoyed that they don't have prices posted for everything. Sometimes I'll order something based on the price - I may be happier eating something that's $3 rather than something that's $5, especially if that $5 thing is quite small. That's why I get annoyed that they don't price everything.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I've been meaning to explore the 99 St strip on foot a bit more. For the past few months I've been going to the Alberta Momentum Massage clinic to get my knotted muscles worked on - this place deserves a shout-out for great hours, reasonable prices and awesome staff.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yeah, that place has rave reviews on Yelp as well. My wife has gone there a few times and loves that she can just book everything on their website.

Wild Earth Foods has officially announced they are closing by Sept 30. Has anyone heard if the new building that has been proposed is going forward, or are they just closing the grocery side?
    I haven't yet seen a similar closure for the bakery announced.
    Last edited by Corina5070; 14-09-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

That's a shame. I assume this means something is happening.

Apparently they've said they can't make the grocery store work, and want to get out of the grocery business. The tower hasn't gone to council, and hasn't been approved. Someone in the neighbourhood (this is not to be taken as gospel) thinks they're going to empty out the building and then say it's derelict, and apparently it'll make it easier to get the tower approved that way (no idea whether there's ANY truth to that, so don't treat it that way). Also, one of their major points in the tower was that it would have a larger grocery store... but they don't want to operate it, which means it may not have a grocery store.

Honestly, I think they're toying with the community, and it's going to backfire. There were already lots of people that were upset at the Batemans, and now that the grocery store is gone they've made their intentions pretty clear - they don't want to operate a grocery store.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Here's the link to the proposed tower thread just for reference sake!
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...s-95m-Proposed
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Apparently they've said they can't make the grocery store work, and want to get out of the grocery business. The tower hasn't gone to council, and hasn't been approved. Someone in the neighbourhood (this is not to be taken as gospel) thinks they're going to empty out the building and then say it's derelict, and apparently it'll make it easier to get the tower approved that way (no idea whether there's ANY truth to that, so don't treat it that way). Also, one of their major points in the tower was that it would have a larger grocery store... but they don't want to operate it, which means it may not have a grocery store.

Honestly, I think they're toying with the community, and it's going to backfire. There were already lots of people that were upset at the Batemans, and now that the grocery store is gone they've made their intentions pretty clear - they don't want to operate a grocery store.
    If this indeed a tactic it will likely come back to bite them.

The Premier might have some influence! Just sayin'....

In terms of what?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^ She's a local resident

And?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

She was clearly not buying enough wild, earthy things to keep the store afloat.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ She's a local resident
    I know exactly where she lives, but I don't understand what The Man From YEG was implying with his comment. There's also an MP that lives close by as well. Not sure how that affects the closure of the grocery store, or the possibility of a tower going up. It was a bizarre comment to make, so I was hoping he'd expand on it.

^ She's a local resident
    I know exactly where she lives, but I don't understand what The Man From YEG was implying with his comment. There's also an MP that lives close by as well. Not sure how that affects the closure of the grocery store, or the possibility of a tower going up. It was a bizarre comment to make, so I was hoping he'd expand on it.
    I sent you a PM

There were already lots of people that were upset at the Batemans,
    The announcement about the impending closure was pointed out to me by a passenger as we drove past Wed evening (9/13).

The thread about Wild Earth and here the remark about the Batemans prompt this post.

Don't know anymore than I've just read. It is enough to prompt me to write that "Tubby" Bateman was well respected by his peers in the business community during my parent's era. If the actions of subsequent generations smudged the family name, this is a disservice to the goodwill built up in the community by the patriarch.

His first name was Weldon. Looked it up, he was only ever referred to as Tubby by anyone I knew who mentioned him.

Yup, I think that's part of the frustration right now. The Bateman's now aren't behaving as the Bateman's have in the past. Previous generations always worked with the community, and for the community, while now it's viewed that they're working against the community with this tower project. It's why many (mostly the people who have lived here for decades) are so upset.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Yup, I think that's part of the frustration right now. The Bateman's now aren't behaving as the Bateman's have in the past. Previous generations always worked with the community, and for the community, while now it's viewed that they're working against the community with this tower project. It's why many (mostly the people who have lived here for decades) are so upset.
    they have a development partner/manager in this project who probably doesn't have the same community ties and who is likely exercising more control in the process and timing and strategies than is apparent to a casual observer who thinks this just is a bateman project that they control. my own experiences with the family have been straightforward and heartfelt.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    ^ She's a local resident
    I sent you a PM
    Perhaps publicly-made cryptic comments should be explained publicly...?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

It's not really appropriate for the thread, and isn't really part of the discussion here. Let's just leave it at that.

Out with it boys, now we want to know.

Can someone elaborate in regards to why the closing of a grocery store to redevelop into a possible 28~ story building is a such a bad thing? It is private enterprise; if they choose to shut down operations to pursue other ventures, that is their discretion. Not everyone wants to operate a grocery store. It's a cut throat business being a mom-and-pop shop competing against the big guys, and relying on supposed "community goodwill" for continued operation is a financial farce.

Condo development is the hottest piece of the real estate pie in Canada currently, and 99 st and 89 ave is a gorgeous location and in my opinion, underutilized. Perfect for a 20 some story mixed use development. I'll take urban intensification over a grocery store any day.
    East of the Rockies, and west of the rest!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Probably because living within a reasonable walking distance to a grocer is something that many people -- particularly those that live a less car-dependent lifestyle -- value a great deal. You're right that it's a private enterprise that doesn't have to continue its current endeavors if they don't want to, but you can't expect a major amenity like a grocer to close without causing disappointment or inconvenience to those that rely on it.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

They've scrapped the plans for the 30 storey tower, and I've heard it's being replaced with two smaller towers on the site, though I don't know the height of them.