Thread: Fewer Albertans give to charity, but those who do give more

Default Fewer Albertans give to charity, but those who do give more

Fewer Albertans give to charity, but those who do give more than the average Canadian

Bill Mah, The Edmonton Journal
    Published: Monday, July 03, 2006

Are we using all of this extra money to help our fellow man?

Sort of.

A national survey on giving, volunteering and participating released in June gives Albertans mixed marks.

Seventy-nine per cent of Albertans made a financial donation in 2004, compared with 85 per cent of Canadians, according to a survey released by Statistics Canada.

But Albertans donate an average of $500 a year, which is more than residents of any other province.

"There's fewer of us giving in Alberta, but those who are giving are giving more," said Karen Lynch, executive director of Volunteer Alberta.

The provincial government's decision to distribute part of its surplus in the form of $400 "prosperity cheques" had some charities hoping for a piece of the windfall. But they only collected $68,681, according to www.sharetheprosperity.ca, a website tracking self-reported donations.

"Despite a fairly aggressive marketing campaign by the social sector, it didn't pan out," said Lynch.

When Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean visited in May, she urged Alberta to use its "tremendous prosperity" to help its most vulnerable citizens.

"Surely a prime benefit to be derived from such communal wealth is the ability it gives us to ensure that no one is left behind, and that each among us has a voice."

Her comments bothered Bonnie Quinn.

"Who was sharing with us in the 1980s when my husband and I both had to work part-time and full-time in order to pay 22-per-cent interest rates?" she wrote in a letter to the editor after Jean's visit.

Quinn and her husband Bill, a firefighter, say they give and do plenty already. They volunteer to pick up litter in their northwest Edmonton neighbourhood and played a key role in a group formed to fight potential pollution from a nearby cement plant.

Their grown children are also active volunteers. United Way donations come off Bill's paycheque.

The Quinns feel Albertans don't deserve to be seen as a unwilling to share the wealth. "We already share," said Bill. "We're permitting people to come to the province and work here and take that money wherever they want to go."

[email protected]

WHAT GIVES?

- Amount of money distributed to Albertans in $400 "prosperity cheques":........................ $1.4 billion

- Number of Albertans who reported donating the cheques to charity:... 216

- Amount donated:................ $68,681

- Number of Edmonton donors:..... 23

- Amount donated:................ $6,570

- Number of Calgary donors:....... 139

- Amount donated:............... $43,426

Source:www.sharetheprosperity.ca

SOUNDING BOARD

If the boom has put extra cash in your pocket, what are you doing with it: spending it, saving it or helping others? Why? E-mail your thoughts to [email protected].

Subject line: What's it all for?

The Edmonton Journal 2006

--30--

Addicted to C2E

I would say Albertains are extremely generous! After all, we give away our oil at $1/bbl. As everyone knows, those energy companies need our support.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Those stats really don't tell the whole tale. I donated my full 'prosperity cheque' but did not report it on the website.

I think, though, that there needs to be more encouragement given to everyone to share our blessings and to support the things in this community that enrich us all (e.g. the arts), and those that are not fully benefitting from the current prosperity in our city (e.g. Hope Mission).

Could the media take a larger role in reporting the need to the community? I'd like to see them profile organisations - where they get their funding, how contributions make a difference, etc. If people know about and understand the needs in our community, they usually will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ2007
    Those stats really don't tell the whole tale. I donated my full 'prosperity cheque' but did not report it on the website.

I think, though, that there needs to be more encouragement given to everyone to share our blessings and to support the things in this community that enrich us all (e.g. the arts), and those that are not fully benefitting from the current prosperity in our city (e.g. Hope Mission).

Could the media take a larger role in reporting the need to the community? I'd like to see them profile organisations - where they get their funding, how contributions make a difference, etc. If people know about and understand the needs in our community, they usually will respond.
    ^ I could not agree more. The Edmonton Journal runs Engage every other Sunday but has had continued problems with sustainable funding...The Edmonton Examiner does a column in their paper every week as well!

Too many organizations IMO are only involved with charities and communities to improve their own image not actually make a difference in the community that they and their employees actually live in.

True altruism has no agenda other than to make a difference where and when one can.

I've resurrected this thread as I did not want to start another one. We are now into the season of begging, wailing, pestering and cajoling for gifts and money (and that's just the family). Seriously though. Probably we all have charities that we give to but it seems this year every second day they are asking for money. I give to a handful of charities and now and again I get emails or sometimes letters reminding me to donate. This year it seems these charities are sending emails every second day then once a week a letter. This is overkill. A few weeks back I got a 'gift' from one of these charities. About two days later I sent a donation on line. Two weeks after the donation I got a letter hoping that I enjoyed the 'gift'. Just the way it was worded it was as if I had just took the gift and not donated. In theory they are sending unsolicited gift and one is not obligated to send money. Although most people go on a guilt trip and cough up. They should give people the option to opt out of their 'gift' sending. I know times are tough but charities do themselves no favours being aggressive. How much money is spent or wasted on these unsolicited 'gifts'.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I've resurrected this thread as I did not want to start another one. We are now into the season of begging, wailing, pestering and cajoling for gifts and money (and that's just the family).

Classic.

Yeah, Top_Dawg sees this every day.

Sadly Auntie_Dawg passed away several months ago after a few months of palliative.

Top_Dawg has been looking after her house for almost a year now.

Just one more property to tend to and eat into Top_Dawg's valuable drinking time.

Auntie_Dawg was an overly generous soul.

Supported multiple charities and religious orders.

Don't ask Top_Dawg what compelled her to be that way, cause other than the obligatory payroll deduction for United Scam and church donations the Dawg's give jackshit to anyone else.

So everyday Auntie_Dawg's mailbox yields all these thank yous, solicitations for more, and so called ****** gifts.

Good thing Auntie_Dawg didn't have a computer or e-mail address.

They would blow up her inbox.

At least Top_Dawg can take all this crap they send and immediately put it through the shredder.

Hopefully after a few more months of not getting any money they will stop sending all this *****.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I suspect they letters will keep coming until they've used up all the money Auntie Dawg sent them.