Thread: Mass e-mail on account status and spam clean up

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Mass e-mail on account status and spam clean up

I normally do not like using the mass e-mail function, but it is appropriate here.

This went out to all users tonight.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Admin

Good evening!

You are receiving this e-mail as you are a user of the Connect2Edmonton site.

Lately, we have been deluged with spam posters. We have put in countermeasures to alleviate the problem, and they seem to be working well.

However, there are some “sleeper” accounts that keep cropping up. These accounts were approved a long time ago and have remained dormant. To that end, we have placed accounts that have been inactive for over 364 days into a special status. These accounts will be purged October 1.

If you have an account with us, and wish to keep it, all you have to do is log in before October 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm. We also invite you to participate in the discussion to further solidify your status as an active member.

Any account still dormant at that time will be subject to deletion.

I realize that most of you receiving this e-mail are active users, but I still wanted to send this out to everyone so that all are aware of the measures we are taking to clean up C2E. I apologize for the inconvenience, but we need to clean up our accounts as soon as possible.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and we hope to see you online soon.

The C2E Team.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I should add that if an inactive account still has posts to its name, it will only be deactivated, not deleted. C2E does not delete posts that are not spam in nature.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Never received e-mail.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Also never received the email. Maybe spam filters thought your mass email about spam accounts was a spam email!

No e-mail here either.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I'm suspecting that the spam filters are catching it for people. I have my spam settings set to "off" because I don't get more spam than my delete finger can deal with. And yes, I got the C2E email.

Eve

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Some spam filters and junk e-mail filters can catch this. However, I m receiving plenty of responses via e-mail as well, so check your junk inbox.

For instance, I had to log onto a spam sorter account for a couple of users in order to prove I'm a human!

Maybe the users that aren't getting the emails have "no emails" set in their preferences?

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

If that is the case, I did check the option to send to everyone including the ones that have the ignore option selected.

or they used a different email address to sign up back in the day

I curious, how many inactive accounts are there?

Too many...
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

First One is Always Free

I did receive the email a few days ago. I am mostly a lurker, though I do regularly log in and read the forum posts. So I would consider my account active

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Tomorrow, the first purge of dormant accounts will happen.

These will be accounts that signed up, but never, ever posted. These will also be accounts that have not logged in within the past 365 days.

Thank you.