Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118 LastLast
Results 11,601 to 11,700 of 11702

Thread: Greater Downtown Retail | Discussion

C2E Long Term Contributor

Greta should be opening on Friday, September 20
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Tis the opening night...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Well that's a nice surprise.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I bet that'll do killer business.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

That's actually the most practical item that this place can offer. Complex food has a hard time at that location, onion cakes will simply come off the grill en masse.

Dagu is now open on Jasper/104 in the Cecil Building.

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg/status/1174403306266841089
    @DBAyeg
    www.decl.org

Onion cakes definitely a good street food for Edmonton.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

If the Green Onion Cake Man's original location on Alberta Ave is any indication, it will do quite well. I can imagine the lineups on the street at noon hour.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

But unless they decide to fancy up the service of the onion cakes, they'll be really quickly moving lines.

I remember getting perogy lunches when that location first opened. It took forever to put together the order (it's a problem with some of the food trucks also) so if there was a line it barely moved.

I'll probably be one of their frequent customers (work in ATB/Telus bldg).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Of all the places my Asian wife has dragged me I find Dang Good at 13308-118 ave serves the best. Everything is very good there though, and so clean and classy like. Plus I can hit the Dutch Delicious too while we’re there and take a bag of my Dutchy stuff home.

Downtown farmers market in disarray: https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...rket-conundrum

The market has had a difficult season, and its future is uncertain. On a recent glorious fall Saturday, I visited the market — always one of my happy places — and found it surprisingly quiet. There were blank spaces where booths once flourished. This season, there have been about 125 vendors on site, down from about 200 in 2016.

Vendors I spoke to, including Sundog Organic Farm, Meat Street Pies and Columbian Mountain Coffee (all of whom were down some 30 per cent in sales) had several explanations for the lack of buzz. The economy has stalled. The summer weather was atrocious, and that meant a less compelling selection of vegetables at the booths, and unpleasant conditions for vendors and shoppers. Many markets compete for customers throughout the city, including the new, three-day indoor Bountiful Farmers’ Market near Mill Woods. ...

Come Oct. 12 when 104 Street closes for the season, the Quarters market will operate Saturdays and Sundays throughout the winter. But still, uncertainty abounds (and that’s always bad for business). So far, only 57 vendors, for a total of 100 stalls, have signed up. Two vendors I spoke to cited factors such as the gamble of the new location, and simply a poor fit with their future business plans as reasons for not moving.

Complicating everything is that nobody is sure what’s happening with LRT construction next season. Construction is a moving target and may or may not impede the market footprint in 2020. At a meeting last week, market vendors couldn’t decide whether or not to return to 104 Street next summer.

I decided I'd stop attending the EDFM when they decided to block another market from taking over 104 St after they got their $10M subsidy to move to the Quarters.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Of all the places my Asian wife has dragged me I find Dang Good at 13308-118 ave serves the best. Everything is very good there though, and so clean and classy like. Plus I can hit the Dutch Delicious too while we’re there and take a bag of my Dutchy stuff home.
    Dang Good is one of our go to lunch hour places. The Beef Satay soup is deeeeelicious!

Pêche Café now open on 10255 - 97st

https://twitter.com/DBAyeg/status/1176914255024517120
    @DBAYEG
    www.decl.org

from an article on the green onion place

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...ry-treats.html

At the new location, To said he will sell not only his green onion cakes but also spring rolls, pork dumplings and hot and sour soup.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Dang Good is one of our go to lunch hour places. The Beef Satay soup is deeeeelicious!
    Haven't been by I have seen it when at DD. Been going to that bakery from the time it was Sherbrooke bakery and was where Sherbrooke Liquor is now. The same family owned it for most of that time.

^^^From the Die Pie guys, apparently? https://www.happycow.net/reviews/pec...dmonton-181661

Est. September 2019. Reported to be an all-vegan cafe and is owned by the same owners of Die Pie. Located near the downtown core and specializes in quick but healthy meals including to-go sandwiches, soup, and baked goods. (Note from HappyCow: We added this when they first opened when they had no online presence. If you know their phone number, website, Facebook page, email address, if they accept credit cards and/or if you can confirm that they are all-vegan as reported, please send us an update - thank you!) Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-5:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:30am-3:30pm

In any event, it's nice to have another option by the office.

The Orii Vegan Market has relocated from Chinatown to Oliver at #5, 10156 114 Street. This will be in the Hargate building near Amber Cafe (formerly the Gas Pump).

That is some super fantastic news! There seems to be a bit of a vegetarian nexus developing in Oliver, which is fantastic for me, being a vegetarian/vegan. (I try to eat vegan every other day in 2019, next year it'll be 2 on, 1 off. Gotta wean off my cheese addiction.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Campio should be open next week

Word around the SSP campfire is that Manulife Place may have a retailer to replace Holt Renfrew that may increase traffic.

C2E SME

Hey I know!!!! It must be cause they draw tons of people.

costcodowntown
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^HAHAHA! One of your best right there Edmcowboy

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I’m actually sitting in the car with sonny boy waiting for mom at Costco by River Cree right now. Super busy as usual. Just came from west Ed which was packed as usual. Hurry and build the west lrt so all the folks downtown can get to west Ed to shop!

We were at WEM on Saturday and it wasn't as busy as we thought it was. And ask any downtown resident and they'll tell you that they want the LRT to connect to WEM, in fact they'll mutually benefit from it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    And ask any downtown resident and they'll tell you that they want the LRT to connect to WEM, in fact they'll mutually benefit from it.
    No kidding. I've lived downtown (near Westin and soon 102 ave/104st) for 15 years, and I cannot wait to be able to ride the train to WEM. I understand it'll be 30+ minutes, but sure beats driving there and back + finding parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Word around the SSP campfire is that Manulife Place may have a retailer to replace Holt Renfrew that may increase traffic.
    Now Please oh please future owner of City Centre mall, tear down the walls and create street level interaction along the whole strip - centre high to churchill square. Move the whole food court upstairs into mini CRU's along the north end of 102

C2E Continued Contributor

is costco moving into the old holt's location in downtown? man that would be epic!
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Not a chance.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

But it would be epic!

an epic failure
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Costco is a lot smarter than that.

They’ll just need E-scooters with trailers for all the bulk buying!

Plus all those families living downtown would surely provide adequate market numbers.

maybe it's Winners moving into the old Holt Renfrew location.
    push in a little olive garden in there too, and it'll be great
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E SME

I just hope it's something that I can actually shop at. Last Saturday I went on a stroll through ECC as I needed some clothes. Nothing in particular, I'm short on pretty much everything right now as I hate clothes shopping. Just some staples like jeans, t-shirts, maybe some button ups. All I managed at ECC was a 3-pack of CK boxer shorts from the Bay, along with some pharmacy type stuff from one of the 2 (3?) conveniently located Shoppers. I didn't make my way over to Manulife as Holt and Henry Singer just aren't my style or price point unless I'm buying a suit or something similar. There is basically nothing in ECC other than cell phone stores at this point. It's pitiful. And it feels even worse than it looks on a quiet Saturday. They've pretty much completely killed it at this point, and I'm not sure how you can recover from that. Who would sign a lease there?

The renovations have just been awful, especially in City Centre West. You know things are bleak when the best new tenant in recent years is Mr. Pretzels. lol

With Kingsway mall nearby, and an lrt ride to Southgate, what can ECC do? Once west lrt comes around, it’ll further worsen ECC.
    May as well demolish ECC and build mix condo-office tower in place.

ECC is the “Portage Place” of Edmonton. Ever seen Portage place in Winnipeg? If you’ve gone, you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    How about Cactus Club as per current rumors?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Perhaps a second Uniqlo?

Doubt it. But we’ll see.
    I like Olive Garden better

Doubt it. But we’ll see.
    I like Olive Garden better

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

With Kingsway mall nearby, and an lrt ride to Southgate, what can ECC do? Once west lrt comes around, it’ll further worsen ECC.
    May as well demolish ECC and build mix condo-office tower in place.

ECC is the “Portage Place” of Edmonton. Ever seen Portage place in Winnipeg? If you’ve gone, you know what I mean
    Oh I know what you mean LOL. A project akin to the redevelopment of Oakridge Mall in Vancouver would be ideal. The mall as is cannot be sustained.

Crunch Fitness in CWB is no more:

Over at Manulife Place, Jamiesons Opticians is moving across the hall into the old Kissara space in 2020.

Grandma Lee's is now closed and hoarded up in ATB Place (formerly known as McCauley Plaza). Pasta Deli has been closed for a while now.

Omega and High Street Starbucks are closing.
    www.decl.org

Heard Illuminada on the list as well...

Working on more details.
    www.decl.org

They also closed the one on 109th and 84th Ave in Garneau, among others. A bit surprised by the sudden wave of closures -- didn't hear any announcements about this. (Not that I'm too upset. There are better places to go for coffee.)

Competition, pricing, offerings...
    www.decl.org

Our newest brewery, you know, in the actual Brewery District... 105st-102-103ave.

Campio soft opening tonight.

Detroit style

Basement bier halle

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1181392212770246656
    @ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Competition, pricing, offerings...
    You have successfully described the market system!

Paws The Cat Cafe is closing its doors on Oct 27. They are located on 109 St north of MacEwan University.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Omega and High Street Starbucks are closing.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    They also closed the one on 109th and 84th Ave in Garneau, among others. A bit surprised by the sudden wave of closures -- didn't hear any announcements about this. (Not that I'm too upset. There are better places to go for coffee.)
    Two that I know of. One was always occupied and always a car or two at the drive through so fairly busy but not long line-up busy. The other looked pretty slow.

So why?
    Slowing economy or money losers or not meeting a high profitability bar?

Their leaving likely leaves more money in our economy unless people find another as effective a way to ship their disposable income out of province.
    Last edited by KC; 08-10-2019 at 06:45 AM.

I’ve heard there’s a push to focus on Starbucks with drive thrus vs the standalone stores.

C2E Posting Power

^ Yes, I believe they are closing several hundred locations across Canada, presumably their lowest performers. I assume their drive-thru focused locations are still their most profitable.

They are also starting to roll out their Starbucks 'Reserve Bar' concept, which looks to be focused on the sit-in experience.

Like McDonalds about 15+ years ago, they’d over saturated the market sometimes with several locations in just a few blocks. They conducted a big sweep to close outlets. It might have been part of a strategy to wipe out competition then cuts costs to capture maximum profitability. Though probably screwed over the McD franchises

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I’ve heard there’s a push to focus on Starbucks with drive thrus vs the standalone stores.
    There is a new stand alone SB being built on 97st at about 129ave.

www.decl.org

Only up $30/share in the last 12 months! Clearly they're on the brink of collapse!

Only up $30/share in the last 12 months! Clearly they're on the brink of collapse!
    Why the odd retort?

Quite the opposite; this is not about the recent blip... but rather in spring 18' they began to announce closures company-wide of underperforming stores and a new way forward which has provided more confidence in the company.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quite the opposite; this is not about the recent blip... but rather in spring 18' they began to announce closures company-wide of underperforming stores and a new way forward which has provided more confidence in the company.
    Which for us means that they are trying to be more efficient at stripping wealth out of the community. (Efficiency aimed at margin expansion is our foe when it comes to foreign ownership of services we use.)

Then back '16-'17 they tried their "evening menu of spirits, wine and beer - along with tapas style food offerings in limited markets"....pretty sure I read that was short lived somewhere as well. Regardless - Schulz - their CEO was highly regarded as the best in the world....he's off the books now...their dominance is still in high gear with 10,000's of more units in China planned.....

Campio looks great!

Assuming the Starbucks in Stantec Podium is still going ahead.
    www.decl.org

Correct.

They'll keep those in high pedestrian areas (Commerce Place, City Centre, Whyte, etc).

That High Street vacancy is now ripe for a great independent as there isn't anything in that vicinity.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by AUsenik View Post
    ^ Yes, I believe they are closing several hundred locations across Canada, presumably their lowest performers. I assume their drive-thru focused locations are still their most profitable.

They are also starting to roll out their Starbucks 'Reserve Bar' concept, which looks to be focused on the sit-in experience.
    starbucks only opens corporate stores which means they don't have individual franchisee's interests in any particular location to defend or maintain.

starbucks leases are typically for 10 years but they have always included a right to terminate, almost always at the end of the first three years. they have a proforma letter they send out to landlords that says "we'll consider not exercising our termination right if you renegotiate the rent to a level we are prepared to stay" for all but the best and the worst performing stores (and i'm not sure they don't do it even for the better performing locations).

those stores that are "on the bubble" and manage or are prepared to reduce the rents enough can sometimes salvage the tenancy. those that are poor performers don't even get the option.

if you're a landlord, it's not quite "try one, it's free" but you need to know that if your site doesn't perform to starbucks' standards, they won't hesitate to close. in terms of numbers, starbucks operates 1,400 outlets in canada. even if they did close several hundred - which seems high to me - that would still only be a winnowing out of their bottom 15% performers which is not a bad thing to be doing from their perspective or their shareholders' perspective.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    That High Street vacancy is now ripe for a great independent as there isn't anything in that vicinity.
    I agree, but I can't help to think that The Columbian & Iconoclast took a bite out of Starbucks' sales...and will limit the market potential of whatever new goes in there.

^Not to mention Farrow & Remedy, which draw a lot of the office crowd in the area.

'Among stores closing in Calgary are a location in the urban neighbourhood of Kensington and a store at the bottom of the city’s Bow skyscraper.'

Context is always good.
    www.decl.org

How is it that certain individuals here will only support businesses if they are located in Downtown Edmonton, but if they are any where else in the city, like WEM, they wont support them, but then in the nearly same post, they chastise others for not supporting downtown businesses? Shouldn't we be supportive of our entire city and the business that want to locate to Edmonton?
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    How is it that certain individuals here will only support businesses if they are located in Downtown Edmonton, but if they are any where else in the city, like WEM, they wont support them, but then in the nearly same post, they chastise others for not supporting downtown businesses? Shouldn't we be supportive of our entire city and the business that want to locate to Edmonton?
    Not sure who on this forum has stated that they 'only' support downtown businesses.

No one said that.
    www.decl.org

A certain someone has said they will not shop at uniglo because they are locating to WEM and not downtown, so therefore they will only shop online.

No one said that.
    You best buddy has

Meh, guaranteed IanO will end up at Uniqlo. So don't worry about it. And the app has been super convenient if you know what you want to buy already.

Also it's his job to look out for Downtown's interests first, don't take it personally.
    www.decl.org

Its not my job, but I like to look out for my city as a whole and understand that all areas have a role to play and that we all should be supportive of businesses that move to and invest in Edmonton.

and yes, WEM is the big mall monstrosity it is ‘out in the burbs’, it’s also our number one tourist attraction in all segments (inter/national/regionally) and probably fills many rooms in downtown hotels, which the spin off into other revenues downtown. Knocking the major attractions that drive tourists to this city is poor show in my mind.

its often hard to tell if those posts are coming from the dba perspective or his personally, but perhaps we need to be more supportive as our city as a whole instead of a select few blocks as no one else cares about some imaginary lines in the sand when looking to come to Edmonton, however negative reactions like that cant do any good.
    Last edited by Medwards; 09-10-2019 at 11:23 AM.

A successful city has a vibrant Downtown.
    A vibrant Downtown has a successful city.
    www.decl.org

A successful city is vibrant everywhere.

There's more to a city than just the downtown. There should be something for people do do and see and experience everywhere. And just because something isn't downtown, doesn't mean that it's not contributing to a vibrant city.

Not disputing that.
    www.decl.org

A vibrant WEM helps make downtown Edmonton more vibrant....

WEM brings tourists.

Many of those tourists also eat/shop/stay/play downtown

Support Edmonton.

I don't think anyone is disputing that. We're all on the same page.
    www.decl.org

KEY FINDINGS, INCREMENTAL IMPACT, 1986 – 2006
    • Direct incremental expenditures in Alberta by visitors to West Edmonton Mall® (WEM) were $12.9 billion.
    • WEM provided incremental value added (income) of $17.1 billion.
    • WEM provided total of 350,000 incremental person years of employment. This involves a sustained employment of 24,000 incremental full-time job equivalents.
    • WEM provided incremental labour income of $10.1 billion.
    • WEM generated incremental tax collection of $3.5 billion by the federal government.
    • WEM generated $1.15 billion in incremental provincial taxes which the Government of Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
    • WEM generated $470 million in incremental local taxes which the local governments in Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
    • For every dollar spent in WEM, $1.25 is spent by the same tourists outside the Mall.
    https://triplefive.com/en/pages/wem/economic-benefits

I used to blame WEM for the lack of retail Downtown, but now I'm okay with the trade off that's been made.

The snowballing of WEM into its present form created a unique retail nexus that has allowed Edmonton to be an entry point for many stores/brands that we wouldn't otherwise have had exposure to. Downtown would never have afforded the same opportunities.
    Last edited by noodle; 09-10-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: accidentally a letter.

Downtown will benefit greatly from WEM's successes when Valley Line West is complete. Direct train connection between those two locations is a game changer. Same with the gondola and Whyte (if it happens).

WEM is there. Advocated for the past decade for west LRT to be built. WEM is a draw for new international retailers to Edmonton, as a Downtown dweller, I want to be able to take transit there.
    www.decl.org

you can take transit there... and it will take about the same amount of time as the current proposed LRT will.

Downtown dwellers have had multiple transit (bus) choices for the decade+ I've lived here in Oliver - they all pass within 0-4 blocks from me.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

• Direct incremental expenditures in Alberta by visitors to West Edmonton Mall® (WEM) were $12.9 billion.
    • WEM provided total of 350,000 incremental person years of employment. This involves a sustained employment of 24,000 incremental full-time job equivalents.
    • WEM generated incremental tax collection of $3.5 billion by the federal government.
    • WEM generated $1.15 billion in incremental provincial taxes which the Government of Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
    • WEM generated $470 million in incremental local taxes which the local governments in Alberta would not have collected if the Mall did not exist.
    • For every dollar spent in WEM, $1.25 is spent by the same tourists outside the Mall.
    And we didn't have to build the mall for the Ghermazians!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I used to blame WEM for the lack of retail Downtown, but now I'm okay with the trade off that's been made.

The snowballing of WEM into its present form created a unique retail nexus that has allowed Edmonton to be an entry point for many stores/brands that we wouldn't otherwise have had exposure to. Downtown would never have afforded the same opportunities.
    i never did blame wem...

neil crawford centre on the other hand continues to get away with taking no responsibility for what it's primarily responsible for.

along with many of the poor choices we made in building (or not building) our public realm and in maintaining (or not maintaining) our public realm.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    And we didn't have to build the mall for the Ghermazians!
    wellllll about that.... You may want to look a bit deeper on that. We may not have built them a mall... but look at the whole thing with ATB and the whole thing with Eatons Center downtown...

It doesn't come anywhere near $600 million in 2019 dollars

Interesting read

Hardware Grill closure:

https://edmontonsun.com/life/food/hi...hardware-grill
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I don't think anyone is disputing that. We're all on the same page.
    Well, only a couple of us have an unhealthy fixation on a single poster and make use of every opportunity, no matter how tenuous, to wage message board jihad against them. But otherwise, sure, all on the same page.

you can take transit there... and it will take about the same amount of time as the current proposed LRT will.
    I'm not even sure why it is - probably rider experience all things considered, but I've always preferred the train over the bus here in Edmonton. I moved downtown 15+ years ago just so I could take the train instead of the bus to the U, for example. I actually wonder how many people are like me, that almost enjoy taking the train, but will not set foot on a transit bus.
    Last edited by ronron; 09-10-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Contrary to a couple of rumors, Crunch Fitness at Jasper Ave/103 St is alive and kicking. Though it doesn't look as busy as it was during the heydays of Club Fit.

C2E SME

The simple issue for me shopping downtown is weather or not I can go somewhere closer to where I live. If its closer I go there, otherwise I go to where it is in the city. Or when I am working downtown at Rogers Place or Winspear or the convention center or the Citadel, I am more than happy to frequent downtown establishments. Thats why I always am glad to see more unique stores able to set up downtown which forces me to go to the city center.

Quote Originally Posted by ronron View Post
    I'm not even sure why it is - probably rider experience all things considered, but I've always preferred the train over the bus here in Edmonton. I moved downtown 15+ years ago just so I could take the train instead of the bus to the U, for example. I actually wonder how many people are like me, that almost enjoy taking the train, but will not set foot on a transit bus.
    And most people do - people have no problem taking trains versus buses.

Page 117 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118 LastLast