Thread: Forum Topic Requests

Default Forum Topic Requests

Want to see new forums for discussion? Put them here. Obviously we can't put every topic of discussion for every single person, but with enough support from members, new forums can be made.

A new forum request should have an overriding theme and a description of what kinds of threads would go in there. The forum list is already a mile long, so popular new forum ideas can't be added on a whim.

Sometimes a simple modification of the description for an existing forum is enough to cover your forum idea. Do consider that before making suggestions (suggestions for how to improve current forums are also welcome here).

So far forum requests include:

• Moving to Edmonton - Thread here
    • Ask Edmonton type forum - Suggestion quoted below
    Time to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by CSR
    I'd like ot see an "Ask Edmonton" section ( Name not important, ) where we could ask questions either to be answered by the "powers that Be" or other members of the board that just happen to be in the know.

For example in discussions it has been mentioned using the top deck of the high level for numerous things including high speed rail or 3 lanes of traffic. Does anyone know if the bridge was stressed to handle that when renovated some years ago and what effect it would have on lifespan? I've noticed driving up Scona Hill a large crane to the south east, possibly in the Bonnie Doon area... does anyone know what's goiong up there?

Questions like these, and many others occur when talking about or looking about the city. Sometimes htey come up naturally in a thread and can be answered there, but there should be a place for people to ask question, and others who may be able to answer them can look without reading every post on every thread.

Just a thought.
    Time to grow up.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Would a rumour forum be of any benefit?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Not so much a rumour forum, but you could post your juicy tidbits under other topics.

Rumoured concerts - ferstivals and nightlife.

Rumoured business - New Leads

Rumoured Flights - Air and Rail links

etc...Just qualify in the title of the new thread with the word rumour...

i.e. Rumour - EPCOR to build a 5280' tower based on Frank Lloyd Wright's Millenium Tower.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Long Term Contributor

how about an "upcoming events" where people can post things going on in and around Edmonton?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I think we have way too many topics.

Yes, it's nice to be organized and all that but it makes it so hard to keep up. There are probably a dozen interesting conversations I`d like to keep track of if I knew they existed.

I would much prefer to see 4 or 5 general topics so that I can check them all daily and see what I've missed.

• Regional Issues
      New Developments
      Ideas / Suggestions
      Public Transportation
      Promoting Edmonton

Or something along those lines.

I can understand the complaint but there are ways to keep up with new threads. Have you tried subscribing or looking at the Latest Threads feature? The RSS feed for that is probably the easiest way to keep up with things. What I do every day is:

1. Refresh my Latest Threads RSS feed
    2. Scan through the topics
    3. Go to the interesting topics
    4. Either post or else turn on "notify me when a reply is posted" in the thread

After that it's pretty easy as long as you check e-mail at reasonable intervals. Hope this helps at least a little.
    Time to grow up.

I'll try that. But I need something to read the RSS feed. What do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by IKAN104
    I'll try that. But I need something to read the RSS feed. What do you recommend?
    Hmm.. that's a broad question that comes really down to personal taste. I personally use a Firefox extension called Sage. If you use that browser it only takes minutes to setup and works really well.

There are a whole listing of RSS reasders here:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/page.asp?page=771

But unfortunately I haven't had much of an opportunity to try them all out. Maybe someone else has a suggestion they want to throw out for IKAN104?

EDIT: Oh I did manage to forgot about a another great Google web reader called Google Reader. It's been making waves recently so I thought I'd throw that out there as a decent place to start if you are interested in an online RSS reader.
    Time to grow up.

I've decided to try Google Reader. I think this is going to work well for me. Thanks for the tip!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Can I have a button on every page that takes me back to the "view new posts since last visit" search page, please ok thnx.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC
    Can I have a button on every page that takes me back to the "view new posts since last visit" search page, please ok thnx.
    I'll put it in the queue. The only problem I have with this is that this is a "search" function. So whenever you click on the button it goes through the entire forum almost finding what you are looking for. It is pretty intense on the server so it really isn't meant to be constantly ckicked on. Even if i put it on every page you will likely get a "you cannot perform a search so soon after you have performed the last one" message.
    Time to grow up.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm a one man server killer.
    Seriously though, its the one feature I use to basically read everything posted here, so for me its pretty important.
    Hopefully we never see huge lags due to server overloading, I have seen that really put a damper on discussion at other sites.

Heh.. probably not that bad but it is important to try and maintain board performance. You might not be the only one to be encouranged to use this function if it is so convenient...

I am not sure how open you are to this but if that function was the main way I navigated the site, I would open up that page, and then open up new browser tabs for each topic that I was interested in. So in that way you get all the new topics, but you don't need to have constant access to that particular button (and constantly need to perform new searches).
    Time to grow up.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Default Re: Forum Topic Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres
    ... A new forum request should have an overriding theme and a description of what kinds of threads would go in there. The forum list is already a mile long, so popular new forum ideas can't be added on a whim...
    Ceres,

How about instituting a "daily news" forum that would be somewhat "all inclusive" in regard to potential thread topics (i.e. anything "current" on that particular day being posted from another sources for information but posted without comment or added opinion)?

Those that receive further comment or opinion (i.e. become c2e threads) could then be moved to an appropriate forum. That way not only are forums being "reserved" for "active threads" but one forum would provide a "daily update" in one place. Those updates that do not develop into threads could either stay posted or be archived after some point in time into a weekly (?) monthly (?) history without taxing the overall hierarchy of naming/tracking threads and forums.

This would also cut down on the "latest threads" traffic for both sending and receiving depending on whether it would be included or not and how.

Ken

Default Re: Forum Topic Requests

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceres
    ... A new forum request should have an overriding theme and a description of what kinds of threads would go in there. The forum list is already a mile long, so popular new forum ideas can't be added on a whim...
    Ceres,

How about instituting a "daily news" forum that would be somewhat "all inclusive" in regard to potential thread topics (i.e. anything "current" on that particular day being posted from another sources for information but posted without comment or added opinion)?

Those that receive further comment or opinion (i.e. become c2e threads) could then be moved to an appropriate forum. That way not only are forums being "reserved" for "active threads" but one forum would provide a "daily update" in one place. Those updates that do not develop into threads could either stay posted or be archived after some point in time into a weekly (?) monthly (?) history without taxing the overall hierarchy of naming/tracking threads and forums.

This would also cut down on the "latest threads" traffic for both sending and receiving depending on whether it would be included or not and how.

Ken
    ^ This is a great idea Ken! (I am sure that the fact that I like this idea is no surprise to anyone).

Since I already do a daily news / media monitoring for issues (of sorts) I would love to populate, moderate and maintain such a forum if it is instituted..

Cheers,

djgirl

How about a new forum for Health, Research and Innovation? (Nano-tech and even some of the billion-dollar projects could also be part of such a forum.)

The U of A and Capital Health are all doing wonderful stuff (often!) here in Edmonton and it is tricky to know where to start a thread as “Announcements” or “Off topic/General discussion” or even “Education” does not always capture the essence of the topic.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by djgirl
    How about a new forum for Health, Research and Innovation? (Nano-tech and even some of the billion-dollar projects could also be part of such a forum.)

The U of A and Capital Health are all doing wonderful stuff (often!) here in Edmonton and it is tricky to know where to start a thread as “Announcements” or “Off topic/General discussion” or even “Education” does not always capture the essence of the topic.
    why not implement the "daily news" forum first so it's not tricky at all knowing where to post quoted items and let the respondent - based on the direction his reply takes start the discussion thread (which may them be a rant or a rave or political or buildings and architecture or something new like health, research and innovation). it would also put all of the daily news in one place in one forum so all the forums would not have to be monitored to catch "new posts". it would also keep the existing forums less cluttered without having to add a host of new ones to achieve that.

First One is Always Free

how about a forum category for games, just in case the majority votes too.

How about a Crime or Crimestoppers-type forum?
    We are all the same, just different...

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Whatchya gonna do? Whatchya gonna do when they come for you?

:-]

Quote Originally Posted by soycd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Whatchya gonna do? Whatchya gonna do when they come for you?

:-]
    I dunno!
    We are all the same, just different...

I think that a Police Blotter or Police forum would be handy. There are many posts on threads dealing with speeders, crime, bylaw, and other police issues that get dumped in rants rather than having a forum of its own. It might get more attention by EPS.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I have long thought there should be a "Social Issues" thread, for panhandling, homelessness, mental health, old people care, etc.

First One is Always Free

Default News from Edmonton

There could be a News Thread with updates every month or so announcing news stories etc of local interest from people not living in Edmonton but with an interest in what's going on?

^ not trying to be flippant, but isn't that what all of C2E does in every different category forum?
    Time to grow up.

This could already exist somewhere, or it might be too much of a hassle to organize, but a section for "Edmonton's Great Streets" would be nice, given that the quality of a city’s streets and street life plays such a major role in the image and livability of any city. It wouldn’t have any new content necessarily, but would combine bits and pieces from a bunch of different forums into a more coherent form – a discussion on “Stony Plain Road” for instance could combine rants/raves about how its current state, new developments , architecture, the implications of the future LRT, concerts, etc.

Sub-categories would be pretty self-evident – Jasper/Whyte/124/118/97/109, etc.

It is just a different way of framing the discussion, but I think it that kind of holistic discussion about a place can be good!

Anyway, just a thought.