Thread: Calgary's West LRT (C-Train) set to open this December

Default Calgary's West LRT (C-Train) set to open this December

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...t-opening.html

Right on schedule. I was in Calgary recently and this line is looking really impressive.

The west LRT is extremely impressive. I cant wait to ride it in December when I am down there.

First One is Always Free

The designs of the stations in this line are awesome. Congrats Calgary.

C2E Continued Contributor

Jealous =/

C2E SME

The west line is looking great as well as further additions on older lines too. This is now where our Edmonton ego has to start really kicking in and say, "Let's move quicker and get the SE-W line and NWLRT line building all at the same time and show Calgary what we can do."
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

The Calgary West LRT looks great. They're a few years ahead of us, but I think Edmonton is taking some positive steps forward, first with the NAIT LRT, and I'm sure that the SE-LRT line will be starting construction in the next few years. Let's give ourselves credit for at least setting goals.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Setting goals? That seems to be what Edmonton is great at. Lets not forget that lrt to millwoods was a goal we set 30 or more years ago. We also had a goal of connecting West Edmonton mall and the west end to our existing system. Even more telling was that we could've had our lrt to the west end just like Calgary, but we keep changing the goals of our lrt system (seein spinning wheels and making no traction). Meanwhile in Calgary they have stuck with their original vision and look where they are now.
    Edmonton is good at setting goals. So is Calgary. The difference is Calgary sets out to complete its goals in a timely fashion. Edmonton just sets new goals.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Setting goals? That seems to be what Edmonton is great at. Lets not forget that lrt to millwoods was a goal we set 30 or more years ago. We also had a goal of connecting West Edmonton mall and the west end to our existing system. Even more telling was that we could've had our lrt to the west end just like Calgary, but we keep changing the goals of our lrt system (seein spinning wheels and making no traction). Meanwhile in Calgary they have stuck with their original vision and look where they are now.
    Edmonton is good at setting goals. So is Calgary. The difference is Calgary sets out to complete its goals in a timely fashion. Edmonton just sets new goals.
    You are very right. If Edmonton actually stuck to our goals and insisted on completing these goals when they said they would I think this city would look significantly different. LRT in particular, we would have had a much larger system by now for LRT compared to Calgary and the current work would probably be focused on lines that we haven't even considered due to the current state the LRT is in.

C2E SME

I see your points. Right now, there is a lot of talk at City Hall about these projects, but I think time will tell what kind of action will be taken.

while i am jealous calgary is getting a fancy new line, i am optimistic for edmonton. sure, previous elected officials dithered and went back and forth and changed plans. but that's not happening now.

the south extension has proven to be a great success, and nait line is under construction and making great progress and will only make rush hour on the trains more "sardined" .

and despite objections by some on this board, lol, the se to west planning continues. there's no moving back, the promise has been made. people are waiting! lets just wait to see if the funding comes through.

i suspect we will be seeing continuious lrt construction for the forseeable future.

However, if we had followed through with that goal we'd have LRT running down the CP ROW with line branching east at 28 ave and west at 23rd with a little stub running into the university. I'd rather have two full lines on the southside.

Now we just need the Millwoods line.

That was the 60s plan. We should've stuck with what we had planned up until 2008

The West C-Train stations look great. The parkades and utility structures with the randomly diagonal green sticks motif is going to look crazy dated in about 6-7 years. Seriously. But the stations are great.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

The most surprisng thing to me is the price per km compared to NAIT. Its a much bigger build with elevated track, elevated station, an in-ground station, etc., but it comes out much cheaper per km. Sure they didn't have to dig down into an exising tunnel and "switch" underground, but NAIT seems way overpriced in comparison.

Sunalta station next to the Greyhound is pretty cool with the copper (not a neighborhood friendly design due to scale, but an industrial location so doesn't matter), imagine how much this would have cost in Edmonton?

Last edited by moahunter; 07-10-2012 at 12:59 PM.

It would've cost the same? I think I've gone over time and time again how the price difference works in Calgary versus Edmonton when looking at the total budget cost. Edmonton's NAIT LRT budget includes everything from roadwork, bus station relocation, utility relocation, multi-use trails, LRV stock and so on, and also required re-work at health science station (tail track) and rework at each of the downtown stations, and all is tallied on a very short segment (3.3 km) of a much longer planned line.... So of course your average / km cost is going to be much higher. Where as in Calgary WLRT, the only cost shown is for LRT line and station, and not the associated roadwork, and does not include LRVs, and is a longer line than just the NAIT LRT.

Of course, I'll fully expect you to forget this by next week.

I'd rather C2E than work!

back in the 70's building LRT here in Edmonton is limited and there is no such big plan that time, City hall is worrying about money way too much to expand LRT to west or to southeast. maybe planning seems to change all the time that kept delaying expanding LRT to like we have today but if they haven't change or delaying , we will be far much better LRT system than it is now.
    Last edited by jagators63; 07-10-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    back in the 70's building LRT here in Edmonton is limited and there is no such big plan that time, City hall is worrying about money way too much to expand LRT to west or to southeast.
    you mean the 90's and your post make a bit of sense, considering the city only opened LRT in 78.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    back in the 70's building LRT here in Edmonton is limited and there is no such big plan that time, City hall is worrying about money way too much to expand LRT to west or to southeast.
    you mean the 90's and your post make a bit of sense, considering the city only opened LRT in 78.

I know LRT was open in 1978

Calgary moves fast and waste no time to built more LRT than Edmonton does, so I wonder why ??

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Calgary's West LRT is a true rapid transit line with grade separation at all but some minor intersections. Puts Edmonton and its decision to go with street level trams to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Calgary's West LRT is a true rapid transit line with grade separation at all but some minor intersections. Puts Edmonton and its decision to go with street level trams to shame.
    Even Calgarys planned SELRT (low floor) has a lot of grade separation where it counts.

That's a sharp looking station! meanwhile our nait line is just a "spur" than a full north-west line.... hopefully our lrt can catch up

C2E SME

I imagine the Wagner station on the SE line will be something along the Sunalta station.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    That's a sharp looking station! meanwhile our nait line is just a "spur" than a full north-west line.... hopefully our lrt can catch up
    The NW line will continue throught the ECCA lands and on to Castledowns & eventually St. Albert.

^i know, but who knows when that will happen. I'm just talking about what is currently being built and how wonderful it would be if it was a full NW line being built right now instead of the 3 station spur we are going to have for decades to come

^agreed, if it had gone out to a competitive P3, maybe the whole line could have been built for the upfront cost of this one? Lets hope for better with SE/WLRT.

Even Calgarys planned SELRT (low floor) has a lot of grade separation where it counts.
    Agreed, they realized early on not to waste money grade separating downtown, and to focus on laying track instead.

Funny you should say that, as they are considering a downtown tunnel for the selrt to central lrt connector in Calgary...

C2E SME

Something like the Sunalta station would be nice for the permanent NAIT staion, that would be fitting for a Tech school.

Shouldn't lose hope.

I personally believe that both Millwoods and West Edmonton LRT's will be built no later than 2042.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

nice looking station. although i wonder why some here would call the southgate and CP stations "over-engineered" and "imposing" while not saying the same of this station?
    be offended! figure out why later...

Answer is simple. We in Edmonton love to complain about everything we do while we look with envy at other cities (particularly Calgary). Southgate, Century and the newly built Royal Alex and NAIT stations are on par with anything being built in any other city. We just can't see it.

^ yes. that's what we like to do. lets remember, we are making progress to the lrt system. by the time the nait line is complete, all the major hospital/ post secondary education centres will be linked. extending onto the airport will be very easy/ cheap because the land is a blank slate. and i repeat the mill woods line planning continues.

also, it's interesting when the calgary west lrt was announced their city put it in the ball park of 700 million. it's a roughly billion dollar plus project now. here in edmonton, at least, the full cost is put forward.

C2E SME

And in some cases a bit of over engineering is ok. The Health Sciences station is a good example of a station that had need extra infrastructure added to it which is now being done.

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    nice looking station. although i wonder why some here would call the southgate and CP stations "over-engineered" and "imposing" while not saying the same of this station?
    I think Sunalta is a bit over the top, but it is in an industrial area (unlike Southgate or CP), and its partly due to the elevated track. The West LRT does seem overengineered with so much elevated track, although it might have something to do with having to get "up the hill" without to much grade, I'm not sure. Its the price that I'm curious about, yeah sure, we hear Calgary supposedly understates LRT build costs and Edmonton overstates them, but that doesn't explain why Calgary seems to get more track (and more fancy track in this case), for a given spend.

Shouldn't you put your argument in this thread?
    Page South East LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Planning/Discussion
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=11070

At the end of the day its very probable that Calgary's final LRT system and our's may resemble each other, mix of high and low floor lines, downtown line on the street another in a tunnel.

I'm not a huge fan of elevated lines because of the visual blocking. Even the nicest designed ones (Vancouver, Seattle) have come a long way from Chicago or New York. But most cities don't really have a choice, as tunneling is about 3x more expensive than bridges. Calgary had to get up that hill and U2 or SD-160 cars can only climb so steep of a grade.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I moved 70 off topic posts to the thread indicated in the above post.

This is the Calgary C-Train discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    I think Sunalta is a bit over the top, but it is in an industrial area (unlike Southgate or CP), and its partly due to the elevated track.
    It's visible from downtown. It had to be good.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^lol the ones on 7 Ave aren't (although they have improved with the project upgrade to four car trains).

New construction photos just posted on westlrt.ca.

Lots of interior photos of the stations.

Westbrook Station South Entrance

Westbrook Station Looking North

Westbrook Station Platform Level

Westbrook Station Interior Looking South

Westbrook Station Interior Looking North

Sunalta Station Entrance

Sunalta Station at Night

Sunalta Station Aerial

Sunalta Station Interior Upper Level

Sunalta Station Plaza

Sunalta Station Platform Level

Sunalta Station Interior Second Level

69th Street Station East Head

69th Street Station Tunnel

69th Street Station East Entrance

69th Street Station East Entrance

69th Street Station East Plaza

69th Street Station Interior Looking East

69th Street Station Interior Looking West

69th Street Station and Bus Terminal Aerial

Sirocco Station Looking East

45th Street Station Tracks

45th Street Station Platform Level

24th Street Pedestrian Bridge

wow, good job calgary, looks fantastic

C2E SME

Looks great.
    Ok city of Edmonton our turn now!

Wow, they really spared no expense. The stations are very aesthetically pleasing and look very "big city." If we can do that with our new lines/ stations I will be very pleased.

Our se to w lrt will look nothing like this.

We will look like this..

Easy on... easy off... no monster stations to build or maintain. or very few of them.

I am sure the elevated stations will be pretty fancy. Also the DT connector portion is to have some great art elements like the train going through the china gate and some interesting ideas for the portal into and out of DT.

Ours will be equally impressive in different ways.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Easy on... easy off... no monster stations to build or maintain. or very few of them.
    Which I think is fantastic, but I don't understand why the costings aren't considerably cheaper than the Calgary WLRT. Hopefully when it goes to P3, will be pleasantly surprised, and no overrun like in Calgary (although they still brought it in for a much lower cost than NAIT LRT, per km).

Not totally true the Wagner station will look a lot like Sunalta
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...20.pdf?page=28

Wagner Station

WEM station is also planned to be elevated and will be similar.

Which I think is fantastic, but I don't understand why the costings aren't considerably cheaper than the Calgary WLRT. Hopefully when it goes to P3, will be pleasantly surprised, and no overrun like in Calgary (although they still brought it in for a much lower cost than NAIT LRT, per km).
    but look at all the infrastructure improvements that came with the Nait line... what if the SE line also includes many of those> it then becomes a pretty solid deal.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Now boarding:

From Far west Calgary to downtown travel times? 8-12 minutes. Video is sped up.
    Last edited by Medwards; 30-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.

I'm curious whether the ridership will match expectations. These neighborhoods are very wealthy (Aspen Woods/Heights is more so than Riverbend for example, with average prices over a million - there is even a $12m "castle"), low densiy (there are a few new Towers around Shaganappi golf course) and the drive is a stone throw from downtown, just 10 to 20 minutes. Of course, lots of savings on parking, but even so, an interesting line. If its popular, it will tell us that a Winderemere branch of SLRT would also be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Not totally true the Wagner station will look a lot like Sunalta
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...20.pdf?page=28
    Yep you are correct.. It's also one of the Bly major park and rides on the line.. There should be be past millwoods... When it gets out there

I'm curious whether the ridership will match expectations. These neighborhoods are very wealthy (Aspen Woods/Heights is more so than Riverbend for example, with average prices over a million - there is even a $12m "castle"), low densiy (there are a few new Towers around Shaganappi golf course) and the drive is a stone throw from downtown, just 10 to 20 minutes. Of course, lots of savings on parking, but even so, an interesting line. If its popular, it will tell us that a Winderemere branch of SLRT would also be popular.
    People are complaining they didn't build enough parking spaces so people could drive to the train

I wanted to chime in here that friends of mine live in Killarney, and one of them commutes to Petro-Can each day. With the opening of the WLRT, the bus service that used to whisk Richard down to PC in no time has been modified to feed passengers onto the train. His commute got longer with the opening of the WLRT line.

^ yep that often happens. Direct/express Bus routes now become feeders.

LRT only is viable if you meet certain load levels. so the LRT becomes the back bone of your system.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 13-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.

It made me happy to hear that their line is currently the most expensive built in north America.

^ not only that they want 13 billion over the next 30 years.

http://www.routeahead.ca/wp-content/...-Section-1.pdf

The COE better get the study work done onr the line out to ST albert and Sherwood park and get that massive ask on the table as well...

Media Release - Massive Cost Overrun for Calgary’s West LRT Line a Reminder that Rail is Rarely as Cheap as Advertised

Calgary/Winnipeg, 10 December 2012: Today marks the first day of operation for the newly completed West LRT line in Calgary. While the event will be met with fanfare, the cost of the project is staggering. The total construction cost of the West LRT is $1.5 billion. Daily ridership is projected to be 35,000. Most of these riders will be existing transit users, however. The total cost of $42,857 per rider would have made it cheaper to buy each rider a new mid-range automobile. According to Frontier Centre policy analyst Steve Lafleur, the $195 million per kilometre ($313.5 million per mile) is likely the most expensive LRT line ever constructed in North America.
    In a 2011 study The 30th Anniversary of the C-Train: A Critical Analysis of Calgary’s Light Rail System, Lafleur noted that the initial estimate for the project was $700 million. At the time of writing the study, the estimate had increased to $1 billion. The final price tag was more than twice the initial estimate, and 50 percent more than the estimate when construction began. While this is a higher than usual cost overrun, urban rail projects typically cost much more than initial estimates. A widely cited 2007 study by Bent Flyvbjerg in the journal Transportation Planning and Technology found that the average cost overrun for urban rail projects in North America is 35.8 percent. Moreover, average ridership was 60 percent lower than projected for the North American urban rail projects analyzed.
    Though the cost escalation for the West LRT was unusually high, it is precisely what the literature predicted. Calgarians agreed to a $700 million project, a price that was never remotely probable. The West LRT should serve as a reminder to citizens that rail projects are rarely as cheap as advertised. The West LRT is another case of provincial grants funding lavish, highly visible projects instead of providing pragmatic, affordable, and effective transportation solutions for Calgary.
    http://www.fcpp.org/publication.php/4403

Calgary set to build a 8th avenue tunnel for their LRT, with another tunnel for the SE to North Central LRT.

^ not only that they want 13 billion over the next 30 years.

http://www.routeahead.ca/wp-content/...-Section-1.pdf

The COE better get the study work done onr the line out to ST albert and Sherwood park and get that massive ask on the table as well...
    It's kind of odd that they'd put it online—published, essentially—without the three opening statements written and added; DRAFT watermarks and Lorem Ipsum...

ya the draft was approved yesterday as well.

Committee approves draft of Calgary's $13B transit plan

The city's standing policy committee on transit has approved the draft of a 30-year transit plan for Calgary that is expected to cost $13 billion.

The RouteAhead report, which was released earlier in December, lays out the blueprint for Calgary Transit's future but doesn't offer a solution on how to pay for it over the next three decades.

With some additions, the plan will now be finalized and is expected to come back before city council in early 2013.

30 year plan contains two downtown tunnels.

C2E SME

^Now that is a nice idea for tunnels, although weather that actually will end up happening is a whole other issue.

Calgary set to build a 8th avenue tunnel for their LRT, with another tunnel for the SE to North Central LRT.

IF this gets build it will definitely catapult Calgary into a whole new category...one that I don't think Edmonton would have membership to.

I wish edmontons new SE-to-West LRT would tunnel under downtown below 104 ave. could still have churchill station be a two in one deal. Have the new line be below the existing line. Use high floor rapid transit technology.

If an at grade tram can go through the heart of Paris I'm pretty sure we can do it here too

And what about the Paris metro? I'm pretty sure if Paris can have an underground line so can we.

I wonder if the trams in Paris go out to the suburbs too? Do they pretend they are commuter rail, trams and LRT all at once?

That said, I'm not sure what a tram going through the heart of Paris has anything to do with our situation or calgarys situation...
    Last edited by Medwards; 16-12-2012 at 10:46 AM.

It's also interesting to note that 7th ave lrt line isn't going anywhere it will still have a line on it and Calgary will be building and underutalizing the 8th ave subway for one line.. . What a travesty hey

Nothing set in stone yet on that tunnel. How's the ignorance going?

They will probably re route trains down the 8th ave subway while they rip out the surface tracks on 7th ave and build another subway tunnel there. Chances are they will keep 7th ave as a transit corridor for buses and BRT.

Calgarys transit planners are much more forward thinking than ours. Perhaps the surface tracks through downtown wasn't the best for capacity and transit times (trains stopping for red lights) however it was cheaper than tunneling from the start and so they were able to lay more track then Edmonton.

Why are we not forward thinking? Because we've spent insane amounts of money on a downtown subway and now we don't want to use the existing tunnels but instead want to lay surface track and run low floor style LRT cars that are incompatible with our existing infrastructure requiring separate maintance facilities.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/ct...twork_plan.pdf

The ne/w route remains on 7th

Provisions have been made for 8th ave, but lets be honest as its so far off the radar because if Calgary was to spend a cook billion or so on 8th ave before building the north central or se line people would go nuts

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/ct...twork_plan.pdf

The ne/w route remains on 7th

Provisions have been made for 8th ave, but lets be honest as its so far off the radar because if Calgary was to spend a cook billion or so on 8th ave before building the north central or se line people would go nuts
    And yet, either leg will be severely compromised without the tunnel to distribute the ridership through the downtown.

How so?

Chinook LRT station set to close its doors for seven months of scheduled renovations

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/chinook-lr...#ixzz2GOMm8ct1

On top of extending the platform for 4 car trains they are going to reno the 30 year old station.. cost ...14 Million.

5000+ daily users will be bused elsewhere.