Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 3,601 to 3,647 of 3647

Thread: New Royal Alberta Museum

C2E Hard Core Contributor

We went for the first time last weekend. got the mammoth family pass, which is a pretty darn good deal. The kids section alone is good for a couple hours. plus there's free 2 hr parking on 105 av behind it.

I was surprised to see a lineup to get in on Saturday at 2 pm, it seems like the new museum is busier than the old one was.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Deep Freeze was on this weekend and is top notch family or adult outdoors fun. On a GORGEOUS day. Man, can't imagine lining up to see a museum on a weekend this great. I'm still waiting for a time it actually gets cold that a indoor activity might be better.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I was surprised to see a lineup to get in on Saturday at 2 pm, it seems like the new museum is busier than the old one was.
    I wish there was better parking ... like underground (given the weather) at the Law Courts. You would think they could open that up for public parking after hours ... but I suppose that might be a security risk.

^If you are looking for heated underground parking, City Hall parkade isn't much further away through the pedway than Law Courts. Rates are reasonable on weekends and evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I wish there was better parking ... like underground (given the weather) at the Law Courts. You would think they could open that up for public parking after hours ... but I suppose that might be a security risk.
    We parked at the manulife underground parkade which costs only $4 for the whole day on weekends. Stayed indoors all the way to the museum, managed to get some shopping and have a meal on the way as well, multiple birds killed with one stone!

That would have been impossible to do at the old museum.

We parked at the manulife underground parkade which costs only $4 for the whole day on weekends. Stayed indoors all the way to the museum, managed to get some shopping and have a meal on the way as well, multiple birds killed with one stone!

What was the route from Law Courts to the museum - is it all underground?

It is all underground, but it is a long soulless walk. We decided to walk on the sidewalks back to the mall on the way back.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Library and Epcor parkades are good options as well.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

is there any helpful links to park in the heart presently? It seems that once upon a time the COE had better information and links to affordable parking DT. Other than word of mouth, how are we supposed to know now what options and pricing even exists? Can't find good information on this anymore.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

We ran an awareness campaign from late Nov through Dec.

http://www.edmontondowntown.com/get-around/parking/

Expect to see a broader strategy and awareness campaign this spring.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Thanks

Is there anywhere in this site where cheap parking options are actually mentioned and with prices quoted? The only thing I can find is the map having to click on each parking strip to find out price and what it is.

"Park in the Heart" used to simply provide what people are looking for, the cheapest parking options, and where they are.

Full stop I'm not going to continue to pay 10bucks for evening parking or 10bucks for weekend day parking. Just not going to go if that's the case.

You can search for a free parking spot in the neighbourhood just north of downtown.

C2E SME

We went on the weekend recently and just parked at city hall. Worked out really well.

Not entirely related (although there is slight overlap), but since we're on parking, I like how the e-parking machines now have a big message that covers the entire screen telling people it's free parking on non-event nights.

Before, during non-event nights, it was a miniscule message and I had to stop so many people from paying (If you did pay, you end up paying for 7am onwards).

^^great to hear.

^Indeed and part of the initiative to make E-Park and Downtown parking in general more intuitive.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Thanks

Is there anywhere in this site where cheap parking options are actually mentioned and with prices quoted? The only thing I can find is the map having to click on each parking strip to find out price and what it is.

"Park in the Heart" used to simply provide what people are looking for, the cheapest parking options, and where they are.

Full stop I'm not going to continue to pay 10bucks for evening parking or 10bucks for weekend day parking. Just not going to go if that's the case.
    I've used parking panda - seems to offer what you want. Enter the location, day, time and it'll give you a map, with prices added. You can book with them (even for $2 evening parking in a parkade) or you can make note of the locations and pay in person, which might end up being cheaper.

Vikings: Beyond the Legend
    April 18 – October 20, 2019

THE VIKINGS ARE COMING!

Row a Viking ship, wield a sword and feed your curiosity for the explorers, traders, farmers and artisans who changed the course of history. Vikings: Beyond the Legend is the largest touring exhibition of Viking artifacts in the world. It's an immersive experience surrounding 650 artifacts ranging from exotic jewels to three Viking warships, including the 37-metre Roskilde 6, the longest Viking warship ever found, featuring approximately 1,000 year-old wooden planks and metal supports showing the ship's original lines. Striking multimedia and 11 interactive stations bring this historic exhibition to life.

Highlights include:
    • The Roskilde 6, using 25% of the original, preserved planks
    • The full-size, six-metre replica ship Joanna, built with Viking Age techniques and materials
    • A "ghost ship" sculpture of hanging iron replica rivets from a burial ship
    • A full-scale replica of the Jelling Rune Stone often called Denmark's birth certificate
    • Unique artifacts like "Thor's hammer," Ulfberht swords and the Hevring Flak rudder
    • Elaborate jewelry and coins
    • Hands-on activities highlighting traditional clothing, the rune alphabet and Viking games
    • Interactive components including an opportunity to pick up a precise replica of a Viking Age sword to feel its weight and balance
    • An augmented reality rowing experience that lets visitors test their ability to maintain the rowing cadence of a Viking ship

Tickets for Vikings: Beyond the Legend will be available prior to April 18, 2019.

Vikings: Beyond the Legend is on loan from the National Museum of Denmark. The exhibition is a joint venture between and produced by The National Museum of Denmark and MuseumsPartner in Austria.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Now that is a great exhibition to open the features gallery!

^Most excellent! Large artifacts to cart all the way from Denmark. Just the beginning of international traveling exhibits!
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Last night we were hosted in the new theatre for PK33. Smaller than the old one, but quite a nice intimate theatre.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Which location. Main floor or upstairs?

Upstairs.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post

Thanks

I've used parking panda - seems to offer what you want. Enter the location, day, time and it'll give you a map, with prices added. You can book with them (even for $2 evening parking in a parkade) or you can make note of the locations and pay in person, which might end up being cheaper.
    I used parking panda to reserve an underground parking spot a day in advance. The app worked great.

Last night we were hosted in the new theatre for PK33. Smaller than the old one, but quite a nice intimate theatre.
    Too bad you didn't take pics of the theatre.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

www.decl.org

Too bad you DID take pictures of the theater. What a horrendous looking hovel.

C2E SME

Theatre looks fine to me. If I am spending time commenting about the decor of a theatre then there must be something really bad with the presentation I'm there to see.

You are an amazingly negative person. Looks nice to me.

It is a nice, intimate, well conceived theatre.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    You are an amazingly negative person. Looks nice to me.
    Nah, you shouldn't take me too seriously in this mode. I think, pretty clearly I was playing around if you look at the above comments.

That said I don't think much of the interior. the walls looks like the cheesy dividers they have in a Ramada downstairs banquet room..

Plus, is that purple walls? Does Barney appear there?
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Really dude? Give it a rest. It looks fine and functions well.

https://royalalbertamuseum.ca/images...-headliner.jpg

Amiskwaciy Theatre & Theatre Lobby

Our new theatre is located on the second floor of the museum and is accessed by stairs or elevator. This space is suitable for presentations, lectures, meetings, award ceremonies, film screenings, or performances.

The theatre has 238 permanent seats with wheelchair area or a maximum seating capacity of 250 guests. It is fully equipped with:

Front & Rear Laser Video Projection
    7.1 Surround Audio System with Media Distribution
    Hearing Assist System
    Computerized LED Stage lighting system
    Lectern
    Green Room
    The theatre lobby, located on the second floor, can be rented as part of your overall theatre rental or on its own. This space is suitable for networking events, silent auctions, or book signings. This space is not available for seated meals.

Learn more:
    https://royalalbertamuseum.ca/docs/R...ty-Rentals.pdf
    www.decl.org

i have a 9month old who i want to take to the Museum for the first time. Where is the best/closest place to park? Usually i wouldnt care and just park far, but the weather this weekend isnt the greatest for the little one.

City Hall parkade, Library parkade.
    www.decl.org

FYI - RAM is free for Family Day, February 18, 10am-5pm
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    i have a 9month old who i want to take to the Museum for the first time. Where is the best/closest place to park? Usually i wouldnt care and just park far, but the weather this weekend isnt the greatest for the little one.
    If it's a weekend and you like cheap heated underground and don't mind a couple block walk, YMCA or Manulife are good. You can stay inside all the way to City Hall or the Art Gallery, by going to the 2nd floor of Manulife through the mall then down to the UG pedway to Churchill station and then heading north. I'm not sure what the library or City Hall charge but both the YMCA and Manulife are cheap on weekends until pre-event hours (if there is an event that day).

thanks guys, i will look into the underground options. Planning to go Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Note to self:
    Go Friday or Saturday.
    There can only be one.

I recall IanO saying that people don't appreciate things if they're free. I wonder if he and/or DBA will be lobbying against free admission. Also, it will attract the wrong sort of people that they want downtown. You know the ones, the ones who can't afford it every day.

https://twitter.com/RoyalAlberta/sta...54424963182592

https://twitter.com/RoyalAlberta/status/1097621021153087488

^ when a museum is a zoo... glad I have the mammoth pass to avoid the crowds.

Wow - thanks SDM. Suddenly so glad I forgot the RAM was free yesterday!
    ... gobsmacked

Looks like lots of families eager to get out of the house after this cold spell. Awesome to see so many there.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

I was there Sunday and lineups were long then too, but nothing compared to this.

Maybe the best picture yet.

https://twitter.com/ateliermobiliar/...68910651301889
    @ateliermobiliar
    www.decl.org

Maybe the best picture yet.

https://twitter.com/ateliermobiliar/...68910651301889
    @ateliermobiliar
    Great photo