Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hire at CTV

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default New hire at CTV

Hearing that Stacy Brotzel will be moving to CTV Morning Live.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Long Term Contributor

Another nail in CityTV's coffin. Brotzel's been there since day 1 of A-Channel.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

https://twitter.com/ctvedmonton

We're thrilled to welcome @staceybrotzel to #yegctvml. She'll cohost starting Nov 12 with @RobWilliamsCTV. #yegmedia
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

Stacy Brotzel's talents as a reporter/anchor were being wasted on Big Breakfast. I look forward to watching her play a bigger role on CTV Morning.

Still don't know what happened to Dez Melenka?

^ Dez is apparently still with CTV but gone back as a beat reporter. Carrie Doll mentioned that a couple of times on her twitter.

Looks like they've got a new weather guy too! Jesse Beyer from Global Saskatoon.
    https://twitter.com/RobWilliamsCTV/s...55499775320064

So great to see @staceybrotzel & @jessebeyerCTV today .. the newest members of the #yegCTVML @ctvedmonton team are on air Nov 12! #yeg

Gain two, lose one. They just announced that the lovely Sonia Sunger is leaving to move back to the west coast, her last day is Friday.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

My impression from the first hour of today's show is that Stacy will be a good hire for CTV. She brings a little more energy and experience than fill-in Ashley Molnar (who I hope the station keeps around). As long as the new weather guy realizes that there are way more Eskimos fans than Riders fan in his Edmonton audience, he'll do just fine.

^ LOL. If his geography is that far off, what the hell's he doing in front of a weatherboard anyway?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I agree that the morning team is much improved.
    * Rob is much more comfortable and funnier than a year ago. Back then he seemed to be overshadowed by Dez's loud and brassy presence.
    * I've always liked Stacy. You can tell she and Rob are dear friends and will be a great team.
    * Melissa's traffic reporting is still meh but she's still a treat to watch. How can anyone be so cute and spunky that early in the morning?!
    * Jesse's weather presentations are much better than Larkins although he doesn't seem to have the same rapport with Melissa yet. As the relative newcomer, I guess he just needs to find his groove. Apparently he is Josh Classen's protege but not as annoying!

Ashley has gone back to the reporting beat. I like her, but my impression is that she doesn't seem to have the gift of witty banter that the others have.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 12-11-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Melissa's leaving CTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Melissa's leaving CTV.
    I knew that wouldn't sit well with you, SDM. I hope they settle on a replacement quickly and stick with that person. The Rob and Stacy tandem looks like it could be very strong for them.

Hopefully it won't be that Jennifer chick. She's been Melissa's fill-in before, but she's painful to watch.

https://twitter.com/ctvedmonton/stat...92460496257024

ANNOUNCEMENT: CTV Morning Live's newest traffic host is Jennifer Dolynchuk. Please join us in welcoming her @jennydoly! #yeg #yegmedia

Honestly, I really can't stand Jennifer... I find her so awful, I can't watch the show anymore.

I think Jennifer is a delight to wake up to in the morning.

^ I've grown to like Jen Doly - she seems like a fun young lady! I even had a pleasant chat with her just recently. I observe she maybe needed to get comfortable in the job and calm the nerves down. The traffic reporting has gotten a bit better too, although I wish they'd use the traffic cams more.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 05-02-2013 at 11:49 AM.

No excuse now with the new 511 thingy.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ I've grown to like Jen Doly - she seems like a fun young lady! I even had a pleasant chat with her just recently. I observe she maybe needed to get comfortable in the job and calm the nerves down. The traffic reporting has gotten a bit better too, although I wish they'd use the traffic cams more.
    Jen just may be the best-dressed woman on Edmonton television at the moment. Why I've noticed that, I couldn't tell you. I've also started to appreciate Rob Williams' interaction with Stacey a lot more. His 'fun-sponge' days seem to be a thing of the past.

Today is Jen Dolynchuk's last day on CTV Morning Live. She is moving to L.A. (and I don't mean Leduc!). Her improvement since she started on CTV just under a year ago was vast. Jen's positive presence and excellent fashion sense will be missed.
    Last edited by Esk Fan; 12-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.

That sucks. Jen became a major reason for me to tune into CTVML...from her fun and engaging personality to that infectious laugh to her...uhm...tight clothes! Best of luck to her!

^ agreed SDM... I will miss Jen.

^ Funny considering we both started out not liking her...see earlier in this thread.

On a related note, former weather guy Craig Larkins has now moved to CBC Calgary. And Melissa Dominelli is now a DJ with 91.7 Bounce.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 17-09-2013 at 10:40 PM.

^Another development..

CTV Edmonton’s Laura Lowe is moving on to become Communications & Education Manager at the Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council.

http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2013/09/09/...ton-update-88/

Yeah that was announced a couple of weeks ago. I wonder who will do the Consumer Watch thing now? I especially liked Laura's weekly "We Buy It and Try It" segments where she tested if various infomercial products actually worked as advertised.

The new traffic reporter will be Kimberly Wynn, starting Oct 15...coming over from Shaw TV
    https://twitter.com/KimboNews

^ That's good. I was worried that Brad guy was the permanent trafic host. Watching him is like watching paint dry, not good for trying to wake up in the morning.

Brad Kelly is also doing weekend weather, I don't think they let the poor guy sleep.

Haven't watched Shaw TV in ages so I don't know what Kimberly is like, but judging from her twitter she seems to be as cute and perky as her two predecessors.

Brad Kelly is also doing weekend weather, I don't think they let the poor guy sleep.

Haven't watched Shaw TV in ages so I don't know what Kimberly is like, but judging from her twitter she seems to be as cute and perky as her two predecessors.
    She has a bubbly personality.

Coincidentally, Brad Kelly used to work on Shaw TV before his current gig on CTV Edmonton.

Yes, Kim is quite bubbly! And hot! Intro video:
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Kim's debut is a resounding success. No sign of nervousness in front of the camera. Unlike her predecessors, she doesn't repeat the same traffic report over and over again...each segment she covers different roads. They haven't had her interact with Jesse nor do the entertainment report...not yet anyway.

We'll see once she gets comfortable and established on the set if she will become over-bearing like a few former hosts.

Kim's debut is a resounding success. No sign of nervousness in front of the camera. Unlike her predecessors, she doesn't repeat the same traffic report over and over again...each segment she covers different roads. They haven't had her interact with Jesse nor do the entertainment report...not yet anyway.
    Just as well. I find Jesse to be a bit 'off' when he interacts with Rob and Stacey. He's pleasant enough but often not quite on the same page as the others. Unfortunately it comes across as more odd than humorous.

Possible replacement for Carrie Doll?
    https://twitter.com/Julie_Nolin/stat...87104382541824

Julie Nolin ‏@Julie_Nolin
    I'm excited to announce I'm returning to #YEG, to join @ctvedmonton. I start November 12th!
    She used be with A-Channel/CityTV years ago before moving to Van City.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Nice, I liked her when she was here before. She will be on at 11:30, does that mean Kim Taylor is out?

Kudos to Kimberly Wynn for bringing organization and logic to the traffic reports on CTV Morning Live. Her predecessors (like her) were easy on the eyes but their actual reports were not super-informative.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Nice, I liked her when she was here before. She will be on at 11:30, does that mean Kim Taylor is out?
    Isn't Kim Taylor going on maternity leave soon?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Could be, where did you hear that?

First One is Always Free

I thought I heard it just before Hallowe'en. I probably wasn't paying attention as I just did a bit of looking and found the following on Puget Sound Radio:
    Julie Nolin
    That's right. I'm permanently doing the 11:30, and filling in for the 5:30 (while Joel Gotlib is on paternity leave).
    Kim Taylor moves to Consumer Reporting, replacing Laura Lowe. So yes, I replace Kim, who's been late night for 12 years.

http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/cgi-b...?m-1383538464/

Erin Isfeld just went on mat-leave, maybe you were thinking of her?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sounds like Kim Taylor isn't pregnant but is moving from 11:30 pm to Consumer Reporting. Either way, I look forward to seeing Julie Nolin.

First One is Always Free

Erin Isfeld just went on mat-leave, maybe you were thinking of her?
    Yeah, that's who I was think of. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Esk Fan View Post
    Kudos to Kimberly Wynn for bringing organization and logic to the traffic reports on CTV Morning Live. Her predecessors (like her) were easy on the eyes but their actual reports were not super-informative.
    Kim's quite fun too. She's rocked out a couple of times with her toy Archie ukulele!

My eyes may have been deceiving me but I'm pretty sure I saw Shawna Randolph co-hosting Alberta Primetime as I flipped by CTV2 Wed. evening.

^ Yes, I believe Shawna Randolph is filling in until they find a permanent replacement for Jennifer Martin, who's gone to Shaw TV.

^ Yes, I believe Shawna Randolph is filling in until they find a permanent replacement for Jennifer Martin, who's gone to Shaw TV.
    According to the Facebook message I just received from the Edmonton Humane Society wishing Shawna the best, she is more than just a fill-in.

Randolph is still listed as a guest host
    http://www.albertaprimetime.com/Shawna/Default.aspx

Actually, I think Shawna works as an independent contractor. So maybe her contract with the Humane Society ran out and decided not to renew.
    http://www.randolphcommunications.com/

Shawna Randolph is a real class act. Always professional and pleasant. Hopefully this job with Alberta Primetime morphs into her taking over where Kerry Doll leaves off. That's if she wants the job, she would be a great fit with Daryl McIntyre.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

She was D-Mac's co-anchor for several years before Carrie Doll.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 29-11-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Hopefully she goes back to the 6 o'clock news. I would prefer Shawna to Doll.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

Shawna Randolph is now the permanent host of Alberta Primetime:

Watching CTV you may have noticed that a former news lady Shawna Randolph is appearing on Alberta Prime Time. Well ‘this just in’ from the stations Rod Tweedle: ‘‘Shawna Randolph is the new Co-host of Alberta Primetime. Shawna has been guest hosting during our search and from day one it’s been a great experience for everyone; the show and the team. Shawna brings a wealth of experience, commitment and compassion to delivering the news and information affecting our province.’’

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/12/0...merry-go-round
    So does this mean Shawna will no longer be the spokesperson for the Edmonton Humane Society?

As noted in earlier posts, Shawna left the Humane Society

^ Ah, I see.

Looking at her website, she could still be doing work with the EHS. I didn't realize she is a private contractor, I thought she was an employee of the EHS. She can still offer p.r. services to them as a free lancer.

I wonder if this opens the door for Shawna to go back to her old 6 PM co-anchoring gig with D-Mac?

Possible replacement for Carrie Doll?
    https://twitter.com/Julie_Nolin/stat...87104382541824

Julie Nolin ‏@Julie_Nolin
    I'm excited to announce I'm returning to #YEG, to join @ctvedmonton. I start November 12th!
    She used be with A-Channel/CityTV years ago before moving to Van City.
    Well that didn't last long!

https://twitter.com/JulieNolinCTV/st...22049395097600
    My last day at @ctvedmonton -- I'm going to miss this place & the awesome people! #lovemyjob
    https://twitter.com/JulieNolinCTV/st...67663139323905
    My last show tonight on @ctvedmonton -- and start again at @CTVVancouver on July 28th
    I'm guessing that Julie must have been angling for the 6 PM co-anchoring position before they decided to have D-Mac fly solo.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 20-07-2014 at 11:35 AM.

The only thing that stood out to me one way or the other about Julie Nolin was how absurdly high her stool behind the anchor desk was. Once we noticed it, it was pretty hard to ignore.

Not a new hire but a very welcome surprise on CTV Morning Live today (and Friday apparently): The man himself Daryl McIntyre sitting in for vacationing Rob Williams. The awesomeness of the show increased instantly. Stacey Brotzel & Kim Wynn rocking 'D-MAC DIVA' t-shirts put it over the top.

MacI double-shifting, too. Morning and evening news.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Continued Contributor

Whats he trying to do? Get on full time? :P

Sarah Richter is moving to Alberta Primetime to be a current affairs reporter.

^She seems very competent too.
    I sure don't miss Carrie Doll's overblown screeching when she laughed. I don't mind news announces having a sense of humour but she went too far.
    Last edited by Gemini; 16-09-2014 at 06:43 PM.

I really wish they'd get another on-location reporter for the Morning Live show. Laura Tupper is painful to listen to.

Both Veronica Jubinville and Laura Tupper have been hired as press secretaries by the new NDP government along with John Archer from the CBC.

Brenna Rose is leaving.

Going to Vancouver. Lucky her. But what about the looming giant earthquake?

On a related note, CTV just cut some jobs at other stations, including a 6 PM anchor in Ottawa. Former local names include Perry Solkowski and Michael Kuss.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell...offs-1.3324301

https://twitter.com/KimTaylorCTV/sta...84437476184064

KimTaylorCTV ‏@KimTaylorCTV
    Well #yeg,this is my 2nd last day @ctvedmonton.Gonna spend time w the family! It's been a great 16 yrs on late night & consumer. Thank you!

I like Kim, nice on-air persona. Best of luck to her.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Kim voluntarily took a retirement package.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Serena Mah is also leaving as of today. I presume these recent departures are all part of the Bell Media job cuts.

Yep... I believe so.

Looks like there were quite a few departures
    http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/djcl...slashing-hits-

...the situation is worse in Edmonton than it appears on the surface. In addition to the four unionized staffers who are known to have taken buyouts, several part-time and casual employees were laid off, including another journalist, low on the seniority totem pole. I'll leave him unnamed as an act of kindness during his job search. Three producers are said to have lost their jobs at Bell Media’s CTV2 operation in Edmonton, the "educational" arm of CTV Alberta that began life as the provincial government’s Access TV operation. Access was sold off in 1995 during premier Ralph Klein's privatization spree and eventually found its way into Bell Media’s portfolio.

Moreover, four mid-level managers were also shown the door. Not long before them, veteran station manager Lloyd Lewis also departed. The Edmonton station will now be run out of Calgary, insiders say, sort of like the way the Edmonton Sun for years had a managing editor based in the former Cowtown.

I'm also told that when the layoffs were finally done, the bosses in Toronto realized they were still one short for the high jump -- so they canned the staffer who'd been loyally processing the departees' paperwork!

https://twitter.com/DanKobeCTV/statu...96077740834816
    DAN KOBE ‏@DanKobeCTV
    Very happy to welcome @BoyerMichel to the @ctvedmonton news team. You'll see him on air soon. #welcome
    Left Global last week.

Two of my favourites from CTV Edmonton have moved on in the last while: Ashley Molnar (to Global Toronto) and Danelle Boivin (returning to school). Their replacements (especially Boivin's on the 11:30 news) appear to have been hired with the budget in mind.

Carla Turner just joined as weekend weather person, she was at CityTV before. Not sure if that means Brad Kelly is gone.

^Maybe Brad has finally "pushed" off himself, then.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I watched CTV 11.30 pm news last night. Don't know the girls name but she had long blonde hair. She seemed to do a pretty decent job reading the news. It's too bad they are letting some of their newscasters go. I liked all of them.

^^ Yeah looks like Brad is gone - not that I'll miss him. Was watching earlier tonight, and Carla is much better.

^ Agreed.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Breanna Karstens-Smith is moving to CTV Vancouver. I'm gonna miss that deep smoky voice.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BRlWzkpAQVf/

^ She did a great job covering the Fort McMurray fire last year.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's too bad, she was one of my favs. Good luck BKS!

C2E Continued Contributor

Man, CTV is a tough place to work - a bit of a revolving door due to internal drama/politics. It is unfortunate as people get attached to on screen personalities.

^Whats the deal with CTV and affiliates. You seem to have some info. Seems like both CTV and CBC, the longterm national broadcasters both have problems. Product of accumulated org baggage?

We always go with Global, just seem to do a better job on local news. When I watch local news its what I want to see. For international news I prefer online.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Man, CTV is a tough place to work - a bit of a revolving door due to internal drama/politics. It is unfortunate as people get attached to on screen personalities.
    Media people move around all the time. In Vancouver you could fill a ballroom with the number of ex-Edmonton media who've moved there in the past couple of decades. And an even bigger ballroom for those who've worked in Winnipeg and went.

Sportsnet and TSN seem to have their share of ex-Edmonites, too.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Sounds like Bell just did another round of layoffs with the TV sports departments, but unable to find out if anyone in Edmonton was affected.

Looks like they have cut sports from the weekend newscasts plus the sports anchor (can't recall the name). Any weekend sports stories (Oilers, Brier) were part of the regular local news.

^ Are you talking about tonight? The 6pm newscast was cut to half hour today because the crappy Juno Awards airs at 6:30pm

^I've noticed too. I thought it was just a one-off but sports has been rolled into the news segments, with fluff stories after the weather.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^^ North Guy, I watched both yesterday and tonight. Yesterday they had one of their beat reporters (Nicole) covering the Oilers game and a videographer at the Brier.

I asked CTV Edmonton about the new late-night sports reporting. I just got a reply:

We are still running sports items in the late night news, but we are focusing on sports stories instead of sports highlights. We find most people are getting their highlights in different ways, whether it's on TSN or on the internet. So we are focusing on what we do best which is to tell stories.

You can still expect to see coverage of the Oilers and Eskimos as well as stories on other local athletes, it will just be packaged differently than in the past.

^ That makes sense for Bell Media when they decided to make more cuts.

If you are a sports nut, watch TSN for highlights. You are not going to wait until 11:45pm to watch Oilers highlights.

On most nightly newscast, local sports is more newsworthy than regular news. At the first 10 minutes of the broadcast I would rather see a report on Kaetlyn Osmond returning from the Worlds with a silver medal than a fatality car accident in Grande Prairie.

Greyson Knutson‏ was laid off, Cook and Seaton stay on

https://twitter.com/GreysonKnutson/s...59013172211714

I like him. He would do awesome sports and make a point of including amateur, high school, midget, all of it. Too bad. Too bad for CTV too though. He will do very well elsewhere I'm sure. Another reason to watch more of Global I guess.

That's a real boot to the face of local non-pro sports. Plus, sports guys have the most personality and lighten up any newscast. Now it'll just be generic mush.

In case anyone wants to inquire about the fate of local non-pro sports reporting on CTV:

Dan Kobe | Director of News & Public Affairs
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast