Thread: Central and east Edmonton fail Fed Air Quality Tests

Default Central and east Edmonton fail Fed Air Quality Tests

Central and east Edmonton fail air quality tests for particulate matter. Report buried on SRD website released today. Mandatory 2 year reduction plan triggered:

http://www.environment.alberta.ca/0895.html
    www.decl.org

I wonder if when this happens with the air quility they check to see if more people visit health facilities with ashma and breathing problems.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Central and east Edmonton fail air quality tests for particulate matter. Report buried on SRD website released today. Mandatory 2 year reduction plan triggered:

I don't see it?
    Could you be more specific as to where you located it?
    The material I see only covers up to 2007.
    That's quite out of date now.
    Last edited by Old Dawg; 20-10-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg View Post

I don't see it?
    Could you be more specific as to where you located it?
    The material I see only covers up to 2007.
    That's quite out of date now.
    I found an article covering this data on the Edmonton Journal repleat with a picture. It occurred to me that this is the time of year when all those congested buildings turn their gas furnaces loose on the air downtown. I'm not sure that the local auto traffic is any contest for these behemoths running 24/7. Perhaps the provincial government should expand their reports to take this into consideration.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

C2E Continued Contributor

Was this due to a temperature inversion? Or were they referring to readings over a period of time?
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

It's hard to find anything on the Goverment website . It's really poorly organized. It could be in there but it could take some time to find it and I'm not that interested. I would be more interested in finding out what causes the build up of gases over the City incluing those from vehicles and the obivous other sources. Does the river valley play a role in this? Was it included in the results as a possible variable?

slightly better link here:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...327/story.html

Edmonton has air quality stations downtown near Jasper Avenue and 108 Street, in the east at 17th Street and Baseline Road, and in the south. Only the downtown and east stations exceeded the standard.

Myrick said it is not yet clear exactly how much of the smog is coming from vehicles versus industrial facilities at each of those two locations.

The actual report - http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/8658.pdf

"As they apply to Census Metropolitan Areas, the Canada-wide Standards were not exceeded for ozone or particulate matter in Alberta based on data from 2008 to 2010. However, the Edmonton Central and Edmonton East stations are above the Exceedance Trigger for PM2.5 under the CASA framework and fall in the Mandatory Plan to Reduce action level." Page 2-3

"The cause of elevated PM2.5 levels at the Edmonton Central and East stations was primarily anthropogenic emissions (e.g. automobiles and industry) combined with a higher than normal frequency of stagnant weather conditions (temperature inversions and light winds) in the winter of 2010." Page 3

This triggers a mandatory reduction plan for all stakeholders involved - provincial, civic, industrial. You will probably see responses from the province and city in the coming month.

It's sad that they can't be more forthright about what this mean for the average citizen. We know this is due to population growth and growth in industry in Edmonton.
    www.decl.org

The actual report - http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/8658.pdf

"As they apply to Census Metropolitan Areas, the Canada-wide Standards were not exceeded for ozone or particulate matter in Alberta based on data from 2008 to 2010. However, the Edmonton Central and Edmonton East stations are above the Exceedance Trigger for PM2.5 under the CASA framework and fall in the Mandatory Plan to Reduce action level." Page 2-3

"The cause of elevated PM2.5 levels at the Edmonton Central and East stations was primarily anthropogenic emissions (e.g. automobiles and industry) combined with a higher than normal frequency of stagnant weather conditions (temperature inversions and light winds) in the winter of 2010." Page 3

This triggers a mandatory reduction plan for all stakeholders involved - provincial, civic, industrial. You will probably see responses from the province and city in the coming month.

It's sad that they can't be more forthright about what this mean for the average citizen. We know this is due to population growth and growth in industry in Edmonton.
    I just read a US EPS report that lists wood smoke as one of the primary contributors to higher levels of PM 2.5. That leads me to ask when and how these levels were measured here in Edmonton given the recent overcasting of blown in forest fires smoke from northern Alberta. I also note that in the downtown area that some businesses have switched to either burning used motor oil or wood pellets for heat. One business I know toasts coffee beans and the smoke is so intense it blocks vision at the street level each time they crack the batch. I wonder how far they are from the monitoring station?
    There are a lot of factors to consider before writing out regulations that have meaning.

That leads me to ask when and how these levels were measured here in Edmonton given the recent overcasting of blown in forest fires smoke from northern Alberta
    That would impact all stations not just center and east.

I'm a little surprised by center (as I don't think downtown auto traffic is that bad), but I'm not surprised by East. I remember when I first moved to Edmonton someone remarking "traditionally, wealthier neighborhoods were built as far away as possible from the refineries". In other words, if you can afford it, stay away from the pollution. We still see that today with the faster growth of SW and also St Albert. Sherwood Park seems to be the exception that proves the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    That leads me to ask when and how these levels were measured here in Edmonton given the recent overcasting of blown in forest fires smoke from northern Alberta

I'm a little surprised by center (as I don't think downtown auto traffic is that bad), but I'm not surprised by East. I remember when I first moved to Edmonton someone remarking "traditionally, wealthier neighborhoods were built as far away as possible from the refineries". In other words, if you can afford it, stay away from the pollution. We still see that today with the faster growth of SW and also St Albert. Sherwood Park seems to be the exception that proves the rule.
    Without knowing more about how the data was collected and the "natural" environment surrounding the 2 reporting stations it's difficult to determine the exact cause of the results. Could be all of the above or just a coincidence of the geography surrounding the reporting stations. I suppose the refineries could be complicit albeit they are much farther east than the downtown.
    I understand the that the taller buildings actually suck air into the DT corridor.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

You made me smile with your analogy that wealthy folks try to live further from "refineries".
    First thing that came to mind is that the eastern parts of Edmonton not only housed refineries but also huge cattle feed lots, a couple of abatoirs , a hide tanning factory, a meat plant and a lot of what is now called Bevery was the City dump.
    It was said that a blind man could tell you if he was in East Edmonton. The refineries probably didnt help but they were for the most part minor players.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Reading the report, they specifically state that the air quality deterioration is not from forest fires, those get dropped out of the readings.

I'd rather C2E than work!

With the downwind sections of Calgary experiencing similar problems, perhaps it is time for mandatory automobile emissions testing in Alberta?

Edmonton will be forced to deal with this at some point, whether the province helps out or not.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    With the downwind sections of Calgary experiencing similar problems, perhaps it is time for mandatory automobile emissions testing in Alberta?
    As someone who works in insurance and deals with many policies from a diverse range of people and places.. it sure seems to me that Alberta has A LOT of older vehs that should be removed from the road...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^totally agree.
    www.decl.org

While I am sure there are a number of old vehicles out there that would fail an emissions test or a basic safety inspection, not all need to be scrapped. Certainly there will be some cases where the needed repairs would exceed the value of the vehicles, but others will probably only need simple fixes. Even a fairly loose emissions threshold for older vehicles (perhaps 5x the levels allowed in the year of manufacture) would stop the worst polluters.

^ My 1982 Volvo passed aircare in Vancouver in 2004 with flying colors. I am sure it'd pass any emissions testing thrown at it. I have no doubt that my '99 Toyota truck with 400,000 k's on it would pass too.

But I take really, really good care of my cars.

Some of the worst polluting internal combustion engines are also the smallest. Motorcycles, scooters and even lawnmowers have next to no pollution controls... many pollute way worse than engines many times their size.
    Last edited by 240GLT; 02-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Parkdale

Interesting and cool looking too:

Amsterdam birdhouses distribute free Wi-Fi when air pollution levels are down | MNN - Mother Nature Network

A green-glowing TreeWiFi birdhouse signals that local air quality levels have improved and free wireless is in effect. (Photo: Joris Lam/TreeWiFi)

https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/resea...evels-are-down