Thread: St. Albert benefits from growth / Taxes rise four per cent

Default St. Albert benefits from growth / Taxes rise four per cent

St. Albert benefits from growth
    Taxes rise four per cent less than originally thought

edmontonjournal.com
    Published: Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Taxpayers in St. Albert will reap the benefits of growth and increased property assessments this year after council announced a tax rate of four per cent, nearly 2.5 per cent less than originally anticipated.

"We've had over a four-per-cent assessment growth from expansion and, of course, a market value increase of 19 .8 per cent," Mayor Paul Chalifoux said today.

Residents with a typical $310,000 home will now pay $169 a year, or $14 a month, more than they did last year. Council initially set the tax hike at 6.4 per cent in December.

The provincial education requisition increased by close to $1 million to $21.4 million, however, the mayor said the growth and increased assessments meant the typical education portion of the city's tax bill has dropped to $1,005 from $1,196 last year.

Another part of that decrease is due to the Servus Place tax levy on each home, which has gone down to $52.30 for each $100,000 of assessment from $66.

--30--

Addicted to C2E

I had occasion to drive through St. Albert recently and I was un-impressed with the condition of THEIR roads. For the taxes they pay, they should have better.

Although, they have lots of (city) trees everywhere. I think Edmonton can borrow a page from their book on that policy.

Good to hear

As a resident of St. Albert, I feel I get pretty decent value for my tax $$

Also - anyone know what they are putting in place of the old raquetball/gym downtown? It's completely gutted...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Nope. ...but Grandin Mall was just bought out...I wonder what is in store for that piece...

As for the trees comment, I think Edmonton has taken a page out of that book, a long time before St Albert tried to make it a trademark feature. Go to any established neighborhood in the city, and voila, trees.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I got the information second hand so I can't guarantee it's accuracy, but i heard it is condos with main floor retail going in on Perron St. where the health club used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    I got the information second hand so I can't guarantee it's accuracy, but i heard it is condos with main floor retail going in on Perron St. where the health club used to be.
    That;s what I heard to. I think I read it in the Gazette. As for Grandin Mall was there not a plan to turn it into a mini Century park?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

The Gazette was not clear on Grandin...they thought residential but I also hear that they are looking at opening up the mall component due to St Albert's desire for minimal high rises...

I hope it is a mini CP. That would be cool to see that area transform from when I was a kid...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    I hope it is a mini CP. That would be cool to see that area transform from when I was a kid...
    All that would be missing is an LRT stop!