Thread: CBC Marketplace - stuff you touch in hotels

Default CBC Marketplace - stuff you touch in hotels

This is a good one...

Like one poster said; 'the YUK factor is off the charts.'

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...onhotels1.html

"Marketplace is investigating the cleanliness of Canadian hotels - in the most comprehensive test of its kind, ever."

My favorite is when people trim their pubic hair into the water hopper of the in-room coffee maker. Most people never look in there, and I've found things in there on multiple occasions.

There's a lot of fear mongering in that video though. Most people don't clean their houses this good, and their sinks, toilets, and other well used surfaces would be many magnitudes worse. I guarantee if this guy tested the very keyboard and mouse you used to type on this forum, the numbers would be insane.
    Last edited by Chmilz; 10-11-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

First One is Always Free

I'de like to see how filthy the CBC office is.

Chimlz, I've already adjusted to life with my germs - but not yours.

"Most people don't clean their houses this well" good point but I counter, your house isn't havin a different person stay in it each night with their own germs that can spread to the next visitor. At home you stew in your own filth

Quote Originally Posted by Pindalyn View Post
    I'de like to see how filthy the CBC office is.
    Are you planning a stay there?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    "Most people don't clean their houses this well" good point but I counter, your house isn't havin a different person stay in it each night with their own germs that can spread to the next visitor. At home you stew in your own filth
    Exactly. Plus if you kid pees on the wall you'll wipe it up. Nor would you wipe out the toilet and then move to wiping down your counter.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Response of the year!

I think bacteria is quite generic. You and I likely have the same germs, on our persons and in our homes. If you travel to different climates that is much less true, but within our region we could all co-mingle in a soup of our combined filth and it wouldn't be much cause for concern, barring outliers with crazy infectious diseases or scary pathogens. I'd argue that folks in those circumstances don't spend a lot of time in hotels.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I guess that's why superbug that are resistant to antibacterial measures like msra showed up in all 50 some hotels they tested...

Well the only possible solution is to live in a Bubble! Duh! Nice and safe 24/7
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Well the only possible solution is to live in a Bubble! Duh! Nice and safe 24/7
    Or the hotel staff could stop wiping the toilet then using the same rag on the faucets - or at least change the order.

Or the hotel staff could stop wiping the toilet then using the same rag on the faucets - or at least change the order.
    That was naaaaaasty
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

The hidden camera revealed some stupid cleaning practices like using a cloth on the toilet and then on the counter/sink, or the disgusting cleaning job on the water glass, but overall this piece took 20 minutes to tell us what I think we all knew already: public places are not sterile.

Whether it's a hotel, or Rexall place, the office, ETS, the movies, the supermarket....there are germs everywhere.

When I stay in a hotel, even a low-end motel, I expect that the sink was not cleaned with a cloth that had just been used on the toilet, and I'm pretty sure there is some form of health code regulations that back up that expectation.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    That was naaaaaasty
    I stayed at a nice hotel in Jasper on the weekend. It had a dual flush toilet. I don't think hygiene ever entered the mind of the "engineers" that designed those buttons. Imagine some young kid that's still learning to wipe, reaching over and pressing those buttons. I can guarantee that cleaning staff never wipe the edges of those little buttons off.

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/22...button-SPL.jpg

The room also had a very common bathroom sink faucet with clear plastic pull up / turn handles. Used it a few times then realized that the under-sides where you reach under the knob and pull it up were fluted. I can't imagine that those are ever cleaned by staff. I imagine stuff just accumulates in the flutes.

This reminds me of a fascinating (and tragic) event from a few years ago...

Sink design behind Toronto hospital deaths
    By: Helen Branswell THE CANADIAN PRESS, Published on Mon Dec 15 2008

Excerpts:

"The design and placement of sinks in hospital rooms housing transplant patients was responsible for an outbreak of bacterial infections that left 12 patients dead and two dozen others sickened, Toronto doctors who cracked the mystery behind how the bugs were spreading reveal in a new study."...

"And how it was getting from drains to patients wasn't clear. "This was the kind of thing that kept us all up at night," he admits.
    The painstaking investigation led to the conclusion that the design of the sinks was responsible."...

http://www.thestar.com/life/health_w...al_deaths.html
    Last edited by KC; 18-10-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Add Toronto hospital reference

This was funny news too...

Most holy water contaminated with fecal matter: study - Washington Times

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/20...-matter-study/

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Hence the expression, er, Holy Crap?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra