Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowhead Trail | Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oh, and I noticed that they've completed paving the portion at 156 Street.

When the paving is done are they going to move the start of the 90 km/h zone to somewhere between the 149 St lights and 156 St overpass where it belongs? Currently there is over a kilometer of traffic light-free freeway with a 70 km/h limit.

^ doubtful. That ramp off 156st heading west on to yellowhead is barely long enough for semis to get near 70km/h most times... 90 will be crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Is there a way to plan the Yellowhead in stages? For example:

(1) Stage 1 - 2009-11 - Overpass at 66 Street, eliminating the intersection around 68 Street. Also, replace the turn at 89 Street with a truck access at 82 Street. This would make the Yellowhead non-stop to 97 Street.

(2) Stage 2 - 2012-15 - Overpass at 149 Street, along with a flyover at 142 Street. An access road could connect with the north side of 142 Street, and a railroad bridge at the railroad crossing (or the crossing could be eliminated). Yellowhead would be non-stop from St. Albert Trail to the city limit.

(3) Stage 3 - 2015-18 - Overpass at 121 Street/Bushpilot Road, connecting with the new road if the City Centre Airport lands are developed. 107 Street could be turned into an access for eastbound traffic.

(4) Stage 4 - 2018-21 - Overpass at 127 Street, with a flyover at 124 Street.

In the meantime, the city could work on acquiring the land between St. Albert Trail and 149 Street, and around 66 Street, if it hasn't done so already.
    Word on the street is that the City of Edmonton is in the process of creating a comprehensive plan for the Yellowhead corridor. 'Bout time considering there is NO plan for this corridor.
    Well coming east into the city everday and noticing the lack of scenery around 170st, etc...I think the city should look at redeveloping that whole area, because right now its embarassing to see how dead it is especially around the Inland Cement factory.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    (3) Stage 3 - 2015-18 - Overpass at 121 Street/Bushpilot Road, connecting with the new road if the City Centre Airport lands are developed. 107 Street could be turned into an access for eastbound traffic.
    Or - After closing the airport, use the old runway as road to connect 109 St to the Yellowhead and close the 107 St and 121 St accesses.

love the new pavement such an improvement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bray88 View Post
    Well coming east into the city everday and noticing the lack of scenery around 170st, etc...I think the city should look at redeveloping that whole area, because right now its embarassing to see how dead it is especially around the Inland Cement factory.
    What do you expect for an heavy industrial area?!??

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    What do you expect for an heavy industrial area?!??

exactly people!!!

If the city would have built freeways in the River Vally it would have been much nicer prettier scenery then where they did build them in industrial areas... but that's what are grandparents and parents decided in the 50's..

ya, I'll take freeways going through industrial areas vs ripping up our beautiful river valley. If everyone was to solely judge this and all cities based on what they see from the freeway going through it, they sure will miss the treasures of most and every city.

Having said that the Whitemud is a very pretty freeway which goes through a few nice valleys with nice scenery.

C2E Long Term Contributor

This was brought up in another thread, but there's nothing wrong with some beautification on Yellowhead Trail, especially on the west side. More trees, more vegetation, decorative lighting, getting rid of the roadside junkyards and whatnot.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Default Yellowhead Trail eastbound reduced to one lane

Yellowhead Trail eastbound reduced to one lane
    edmontonjournal.comJanuary 19, 2009 2:01 PM

EDMONTON — Traffic on Yellowhead Trail eastbound is reduced to one lane for an emergency watermain repair.

Work is expected to be completed by Jan. 23. Stay left to travel through the construction zone. Motorists can detour using 156th Street or 149th Street.
    © Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Story found at: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...798/story.html

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Oh boy, I feel bad for commuters in that part of Edmonton.
    ----

I drove through there on Saturday, and I think they were working on this then too... it was a major pain.

^and it's not even spring .
    ----

No, but frozen water pipes tend to make themselves known when things warm up, not when they get cold.

Boy am I glad I'm on holidays this week 1 less vehicle on the Yellowhead

Addicted to C2E

Default Simple Solutions for the Yellowhead

I suppose one of my biggest pet peeves about Edmonton is the Yellowhead. It is arguably the most important artery within the City. It is a vital provincial roadway, and it is part of the Trans-Canada highway. It is also the only highway that flows through our City.
    there are a total of 11 interchanges and 8 signalized intersections.
    I am not a traffic engineer by any stretch, however, from what I see - there are some very simple solutions to ameliorate the traffic flow on the yellowhead...
    there are as follows:
    66 street - for the most part traffic could run along WG drive and 50th street. the intersection could be changed so that there is free flow traffic along the YH and right ins and right outs to and from 66 street. traffic cannot cross the YH from 66 st.
    89 street - for some reason there is this extremely annoying traffic light in this location. Access to these few businesses on the north side of yellowhead can be accessed from 97 street and 82 street
    106 street - again this can be a right in/right out. if traffic wishes to head W from 106 street, they can either turn right on YH and make a U-turn on 97 street (interchange is designed for that) - or proceed to 97 street.
    121 st. This road provides access to airport business s of the YH and to CNR north the YH. I do not see why this cant be a right in right out scenario either.
    124 st - south of the yellowhead this is basically a collector roadway until it hits 118 avenue. I am sure the residents who live along this stretch would welcome less traffic. This makes sence to create a right in right out.
    127 street - this would be the most logical place for an interchange - 127 street is a high volumn roadway and i dont think there are other alternatives
    142 street. - this is a really stupid traffic system IMO. instead of turning left to proceed S on 142, traffic must make three right hand turns. I think R in R out here would work fine.
    149 probably a good location for an interchange (would also be needed to accommodate additional traffic from 142

So really, minor changes and two additional interchanges. Upgrades would probably be needed for the signalization of existing interchanges to handle the additional traffic, but it seems like a sollution for this horrible roadway.

My $0.02 for what its worth??

I agree Yellowhead needs cleaning up and your points are valid. It is our most major highway because it goes the furthest distance. Whitemud is the only free flowing one though, save 17st. QEII is also pretty big. But anyways Yellowhead is apart of the TC which automatically makes it major. Basically the area can use a major cleaning up too, is that dirty industrial look what wewanna portray? No. Keep that on Wayne Gretzky or somethin'.
    ----

C2E Super Addict

The simplest & only solution for Yellowhead is money. I'm sure plans are out there, but it's money that will continue to hold up improvements.

Closing 66th street would mean more trffic on 50th street. 50th street is a mess from YH to 137th ave. Most of the route is two lane and would need to be widened to three. 50th street has too many lights on it as well.

In order to detour off 66th street to 50th street the east-west detour south of 137th ave is only the poorly designed 129 avenue and 118th Avenue to the south. That would be unworkable.

A 66th street flyover is planned but the amount of truck traffic into Versacold and others behind the old Gainers site is very large and access is needed.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    The simplest & only solution for Yellowhead is money. I'm sure plans are out there, but it's money that will continue to hold up improvements.
    Deerfoot in Calgary must have got some money to make it freeflowing without and interchanges and traffic lights. Seems odd to me that the Yellowhead is so far behind, especially considering it is part of the Trans Canada.

C2E Super Addict

Deerfoot in Calgary must have got some money to make it freeflowing without and interchanges and traffic lights. Seems odd to me that the Yellowhead is so far behind, especially considering it is part of the Trans Canada.

The Deerfoot is Provincial. From what I understand ,Edmonton was reluctant to give total control over the Yellowhead to the Province, hence it remained with the city.

C2E Continued Contributor

Its the transCanada the feds should be through money at this project as it is worth it. Yellowhead is the worst road outside of gateway in Edmonton.

Whys gateway bad?
    ----

They should be building the Yellowhead now that the economy sucks... hit 2 birds with one stone. Upgrade the highway they have ignored for decades, and create some stimulus.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I agree with 89 St and 107 St especially. But I think a Right in Right out needs merge lanes not yields for safety. Especially at 107 St I know of several times where traffic thought they saw a hole in traffic and there wasn't one.

And... the whole "Yellowhead is a TC so it should be better" argument makes sense, but the other major Alberta city on a Trans Canada has an even worse road through the city. 16 Ave N in Calgary is awful and you go 50 km/h in parts even though it is the #1 TC.

Addicted to C2E

^two wrongs......

C2E SME

I think there are three sections of land on the Yellowhead that should be purchased by the city:

(1) 66 Street-68 Street

(2) 142 Street-149 Street

(3) Sections between 82 Street and 97 Street.

There should be no businesses next to the Yellowhead.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Addicted to C2E

I disagree about having no businesses. They just have to have access designed for a free-flowing roadway. The cost of expropriating ALL that private land will not be simple solution

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Closing 66th street would mean more trffic on 50th street. 50th street is a mess from YH to 137th ave. Most of the route is two lane and would need to be widened to three. 50th street has too many lights on it as well.

In order to detour off 66th street to 50th street the east-west detour south of 137th ave is only the poorly designed 129 avenue and 118th Avenue to the south. That would be unworkable.

A 66th street flyover is planned but the amount of truck traffic into Versacold and others behind the old Gainers site is very large and access is needed.
    One way to remove one problem on 50th street would be to connect 129th ave to Hermitage road instead of havng it end at 50th.

^ Yes, I agree but the other end is bad where it crosses over the LRT/CN tracks which can cause major delays and the mess of an intersection at Fort Road. The acute angle makes it a very restricted intersection for making turns and then the intersection at 66 st is where 66th street is the narrowest and there is no room for a left hand turning lane for those wanting to go east towards 50th street.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Once again, if the city actually had planners who could think ahead, all these issues would have been dealt with prior to allowing development going ahead back in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Instead we got a total cluster f...k. Guess what a number of these folks are still in management at city hall, including the city manager. This stuff will continue until either they all retire or city council does its job and fires the lot....

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I disagree about having no businesses. They just have to have access designed for a free-flowing roadway. The cost of expropriating ALL that private land will not be simple solution
    I agree. For example - 142st to 149 - why not just simply close access to 142 st (it is never that busy anyway - perhaps leaving the right turn onto the yellowhead there but getting rid of the lights / left turn), and perhaps put a simple flyover in at 149. The businesses can stay. They key is not to over engineer it, there are too many access points, that aren't needed. Anybody driving up 142, could just as easily drive a few blocks West and access via 156 st.

149 Street needs a full interchange, simple as that. 156th is NOT designed to handle any more traffic than it already does at rush hour. In fact, it's a pretty poor design overall, but I imagine was the best they could accomplish given the space limitations they had. Making 149th a flyover and leaving 156th as is would be a disaster.

^ Is there enough room for a full interchange @ 149st with 156st off/on ramps so close?

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    149 Street needs a full interchange, simple as that.
    I disagree. Sure, 149 street has a Costco that creates some traffic, but 156 is very close, and IMO more than capable of taking the slack. If we get traffic problems at the inter-changes like 156, then that can be fixed then - in the meantime, at least Yellowhead flows. While everyone wants their pet favourite access, I think its totally unnecessary. Closing 142 for example (except for the current non-light access), and limiting 149, would be marginally inconvenient for me wanting access to 142 street. But it is marginal, I could re-enter the West via St Albert trail or 156 easily enough, I would pay that price for a free flow Yellowhead sooner rather than never - same at other spots.

Closing 142 is fine with me, but I think you're kidding yourself if you think that there isn't much traffic getting on and off the Yellowhead at 149th, or that 156th could handle it as currently configured.

As for whether there's room for an interchange given 156th's proximity, I have no idea. I would hope that it was taken in to account when it was built.

First One is Always Free

The North American "industry standard" for distance beween freeway interchanges is 1.6 kilometers. If there is shorter distance between the last on ramp and the next offramp, too much "weaving" occurs in the right lane of the freeway. That slows up traffic in the right lane, as well as the left adjacent lanes. Perhaps service roads on each side of the Yellowhead between 156 Street and 149 Street will accomodate any travellers headed to the Costco and businesses around 149 Street. Perhaps those same service roads could be extended to a future 142 Street interchange at Yellowhead. Delete any access to Yellowhead Trail between 142 Street and Saint Albert Trail and Yellowhead Trail is good to go to the west.

Yellowhead Trail was not initially intended to be Edmonton's East-West Freeway. Rather, the major east west freeway was intended to come into Edmonton on 101 Avenue, run through the River Valley over the James MacDonald Bridge and then run through McKinnon Ravine and head west near Stony Plain Road until it hit the Ring Road. Some folks didn't like that idea......For additional information on the plans, check this link out:

http://www.movingedmonton.ca/public/...S_Figure_2.PDF

http://www.movingedmonton.ca/public/...Bylaw_3655.PDF

After METS was blown out of the water, Yellowhead Trail/125 Avenue/Santa Rosa became the de-facto East West Freeway for Edmonton. Slowly but surely, Yellowhead will get "freeway-fied". A combination of True Yellowhead Freeway and completed Anthony Henday Drive will solve a lot of Edmonton's traffic flow problems north of the river.

C2E Super Addict

^You can have ramps close together, however you then need to elevate one to allow for better weaving. An example of this is on the north side of Hwy 16, where the west bound Broadmoor Blvd, crosses over the southbound AHD.
    Looking at the 156 & 149 streets, there is enough room for 2 full interchanges, however 149st would need to be configured to have its ramps on the east side, which gives a little more distance between the 2. 142st would then have to be closed, or a flyover....all IMO.

No simple solutions to Yellowhead's problems except finishing AHD in the NE to reduce traffic on YH.

One parallel road is 127th Avenue. This has got to be one of the most underutilized arterials in the city. I often take it instead of YH. the only problem is that it goes through a residential area on the east end and has access issues at Fort Road and the west end deadheads at 127 Street. To bad it doesn't connect to St. Albert Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Bob
    The North American "industry standard" for distance beween freeway interchanges is 1.6 kilometers.
    Well that's wholly dependent on what the intended speed limit is. There's a big difference in the length of ramps required for a 70km/h free flow road and even 90km/h. Probably a difference of 30-50% in length between the two.

That's the main reason why the Whitemud can't and shouldn't have a much higher speed limit. The main road is fine, but the exits and entrances are too close together in some spots to make it safe to raise the limit much. Maybe 90 would be doable, but as of right now everyone knows that the defacto limit on that load is 95ish anyway.

My thoughts on Yellowhead

Change 62nd, 67th St, 68th, 89th, 107th streets and the access to Costco (about 145th St) to be right turns only

In areas where there are 3 lanes ban semis from the left lanes where there are no upcoming left turns for example
    Westbound from 50th to the about 142nd St
    Eastbound from just east of 149th St to about the LRT bridge

A lot of states are banning semis from the left lanes, Alberta Transportation should be doing the same, way more affordable then another interchange (see link)
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...you-crazy.aspx

Banning trucks from certain lanes is useless without enforcement. Trucks are banned from 75th street from 90th ave to 98th ave and you see big trucks and rigs on it every day. I have never seen on getting a ticket for being off the truck route on that section.

Neither do you see any of the slow moving vehicles like backhoes being pulled over during rush hours when they are banned as well. I sometimes see two or three on Capilano or 75th during rush hour slowing up traffic for a block or more

Let's face it, cops in this province do not give out tickets for impeding traffic, they are only good at terrorizing the speeders.....

Oh I agree on the enforcement part, but it still comes down to its way cheaper to do lane controls than to build a lot of interchanges.

Georgia Manages Lane Use to Improve Highway Efficiency
    http://blog.wired.com/cars/2009/02/georgia-manages.html

Interesting side reading but personally the Yellowhead with 3 lanes is too narrow to use one for just an HOV/toll lane

Default Traffic slowdown on Yellowhead Trail Tuesday

Traffic slowdown on Yellowhead Trail Tuesday
    EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMAPRIL 13, 2009 1:02 PM

EDMONTON – Traffic will be reduced to one lane eastbound on Yellowhead Trail at Anthony Henday Drive, because of bridge construction work on the Anthony Henday Drive extension.

This work will take place on Tuesday between 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Motorists can detour using Stony Plain Road/ 100th Avenue.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Story Found At: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...133/story.html

Default Get rid of traffic lights on Yellowhead!!!

Hi, I wish the city engineers and planners would consider getting rid of all the traffic lights on the Yellowhead in the very near future.

Here is a list of intersections on the Yellowhead:
    149 Street
    142 Street
    127 Street
    124 Street
    121 Street
    107 Street
    89 Street
    66 Street

I'm not too sure if there are more but please post the locations if there are.
    Now here are my solutions for these various intersections with traffic lights:

149 Street - Definitely needs to have an over/underpass, more than enough room to do it too.

142 Street - Safeway warehouse seems to be the only business that actually needs this light... but couldn't a road be build that connects to 128 Ave for the trucks? They can then use either 149 St or St Albert Trail to get onto the Yellowhead.

127 Street - Now this intersection needs a over/underpass for obvious reasons. It is a dangerous intersection for one thing, and second, during rush hour it takes forever to get though it. Furthermore, 127 street is one of the only roads that motorists can use to get to Castledowns from the inner-west city. Several buildings and houses will probably need to be demolished to make way for an overpass though.

124 Street - A completely useless intersection and ought to be blocked off completely. Motorists can use 127 street. There is no need to have an intersection here at all.

121 Street - A overpass can easily be built here as there is lots of empty areas around this intersection.

107 Street - It was a good idea that they got rid of the left hand turn onto 107 street as it was a major source of accidents but they need to have ramps here as well (NO LIGHTS).

89 Street - Another intersection that is used only by the trucks from the businesses and warehouses along Yellowhead. This one is similar to the 142 Street intersection in that a road could be built connecting to 127 Avenue and the trucks could get onto Yellowhead via 97 Street or 82 Street. 127 Avenue is underused and is slow even during rush hour.

66 Street - Another dangerous one... I've noticed many vehicles have to slam on the brakes because this light seems so sudden. Several building will need to be demolished to make way for the ramps if an overpass is to be built.

Also, I would like to point out that like the Whitemud, you should only be able to get onto Yellowhead via merge lanes. Around the area of 66 Street, near the SPCA, there are places where you can do right hand turns which makes it a hazard.

Please make Yellowhead freeflow like the Whitemud!!! And post your comments as well...

There are already threads on this topic;

Simple Solutions for the Yellowhead
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=10562

Yellowhead and 124th st NW My Idea plan.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=7330

Yellowhead and 121st Nw Redesighn PLan Idea
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=7329

Yellowhead Overpasses
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=7026

I'd like to see 66th Street be the next overpass built because that intersection is not only dangerous but also ugly.

It's dangerous whether you're coming from the east or west because in both directions the lights appear right after a fast corner. Traveling eastbound is even worse because you're not only coming around a bend but also up a hill and under a bridge which limits visibility.

Also, a shiny new overpass with significant landscaping, replacing some really ugly old buildings and empty overgrown lots would sure improve the look of that whole area.

Last I heard they were waiting for the Humane Society to move into their new building. Well, that is happening as we speak.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to remove the lights and only allow traffic to exit/enter YHD from 66th Street? I lived in that area for many years and one can drive the 3 blocks West to get to the Fort Road overpass or use 50th Street when trying to cross YHD. Seems like a waste of money when another overpass is so close IMO.

Addicted to C2E

^yes - there is no point to the 66th street intersection. Make 66 Right in/right out

The city had a plan about 2-3 years ago a combined interchange with Fort/Capilano and 66th St. If my memory is right 66th became a partial interchange with ramps on the east side, you had ramp from Capilano run east of the LRT tracks to form a partial trumpet interchange with Yellowhead and the a fly over from YHD E to Capilano S to bypass the Fort Rd traffic light.

Another point to consider is the railway LRT bridge limits lane widths and the road geometry, I'm not sure if there are any train tracks left on that bridge anymore so it may be either reconstructed or just "narrowed" to just LRT tracks.

Now that the Humane Society is moving into their new digs, something can be done with the Yhead/66st intersection.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

How many lights could we get rid of with the closure of the muni? Perhaps they could run 109th to the yellowhead and build a proper interchange there.

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    The city had a plan about 2-3 years ago a combined interchange with Fort/Capilano and 66th St. If my memory is right 66th became a partial interchange with ramps on the east side, you had ramp from Capilano run east of the LRT tracks to form a partial trumpet interchange with Yellowhead and the a fly over from YHD E to Capilano S to bypass the Fort Rd traffic light.

Another point to consider is the railway LRT bridge limits lane widths and the road geometry, I'm not sure if there are any train tracks left on that bridge anymore so it may be either reconstructed or just "narrowed" to just LRT tracks.
    I don't think it would make sense to narrow the bridge. The space for the old freight tracks if not in use, could be used for vehicular lanes, and I expect the multiuse trail will be extended through there on of these years.

I have been told by two business owners on Yellowhead that the city has shelved plans to make 66st street a flyover and previous threats of expropriation are gone. It is not only 66st but also the small intersection at 62 street east of the Gainers site where hundreds of trucks a day turn left to get to Versacold and other businesses. There is also the 76st and 68st intersections. 68st is a very dangerous left turn with oncoming traffic under the curving underpass at the LRT tracks. You have to close a lot of roads to make Yellowhead work. One way was to make 124ave at 66 cross east thru the Gainers site and towards Versacold but the city allowed the old gainers building to expand and now would have to build another intersection at about 125 ave.

I still think they should finish the NE section of AHD and take the pressure off Yellowhead as the south section of AHD has done for Whitemud.

C2E SME

I think that the City should focus its next priority on 149 Street - it might be the easiest overpass to complete, and would be another stop removed. It sounds like there has been a lot of resistance to upgrading the Yellowhead.

Still, I hope that 66 Street could get some kind of interchange.

I would say that Yellowhead and 127 St is the highest priority because it's the busiest intersection.

thye west end of the Yellow head is by far the worst.. in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I would say that Yellowhead and 127 St is the highest priority because it's the busiest intersection.
    I agree with you. I drove through this one today, it's terrible. Coming up from 127 street, it looks like you are approaching a regular road, not a freeway, scary as heck.

Addicted to C2E

I would say look at the first post... there are a lot of simple solutions

RI RO do solve some of the problems, the also create some as well, the traffic has to go somewhere, so will the left turns overload 156th, St Albert, Ft Rd?

Driving down the Yellowhead, I noticed that the speed limit is 90 km/hr west of 149 St, and they finally FINALLY finished paving it under 156 St (that took - what - 3 years?).

That was done last fall.

I hope they get the toplift and pavement markings done on the St Albert Trail rail underpass soon. I've just about been sideswiped several times by vehicles that can't figure out where the lanes are...

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    That was done last fall.
    About time too.

If that section west of 149th is 90 km/hr, wouldn't it be great to drive on the entire length at that speed without stopping?

^ OMG you mean like a FREE WAY!

sorry.. I am tired and OVERLY sarcastic today...

I am off to find more or Mewards posts to bash Tra-la-la-la

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    That was done last fall.
    About time too.

If that section west of 149th is 90 km/hr, wouldn't it be great to drive on the entire length at that speed without stopping?
    I would think that either 149 st (with a railoverpass) or 66 st would be the next priorities...anyone know?
    Mayor Mandel is a immature childish man

So... With the airport issue "somewhat" resolved and the Feds willing to spend some stimulus money, how long till we get some more Yellowhead upgrades?

C2E SME

Well I would love to see the section near the airport straightened out and create a better access on and off the Yellowhead at this location.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Why does the space between eastbound/westbound divide further on Yellowhead Trail when it crosses the river? they join back after the crossing, is this random or is there a reason?

Terrain... suitable river valley bank areas... also have to consider the rail tracks as well... and the long term plans for the interchange of 216E and 16E

C2E SME

I hope that the Transportation Master Plan means more upgrades for the Yellowhead. Perhaps the greatest improvement since 1999 was the 156 Street overpass.

My guess would be the railway bridge at 17th Street, too narrow to allow more lanes underneath it, 17th Street bridge itself is newer built about the same time as Cloverbar Bridge (early-mid 70s). So if you have to build a new railway bridge then you might look at other options.

This scenario will probably happen again at Yellowhead and Highway 47 west of Edson, when they make Yellowhead a freeway.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Why does the space between eastbound/westbound divide further on Yellowhead Trail when it crosses the river? they join back after the crossing, is this random or is there a reason?

Change in design specs over the years. The allowed raduis of a curve is much more gradual then it used to be.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the reason the Yellowhead Trail is not being upgraded as quickly as we would like is because the province refuses to contribute any money to upgrades on the Trail within city limits. How does the province get away with that?

The province proposed to the city about 5 years ago to take over (100% funding for construction and maintenance) the Yellowhead similar to what happened with the Deerfoot in Calgary, however the city opted out as they felt the (if my memory is right) province's standards wouldn't meet the city's need.

That's ridiculous.

C2E SME

What a joke, the Yellowhead Trail needs to upgraded and the city says that? I think provincial control of the Yellowhead would mean completion of the road within five years.

If the Yellowhead were under provincial control, the Province would not kowtow to the businesses along this road. 66 Street would either be a flyover or an interchange, 149 Street would be an overpass, and roads like 142 Street could be accessed from 149 Street. 127 Street could also be an overpass. With the impending closure of the City Centre Airport, I'm sure the top priority would be to have and overpass/LRT crossing at about 113 Street, with connections to 107 Street and 121 Street. All remaining roads could be sealed off.

Personally I think we could do right turns only at
    62nd, 89th, 107th, 121st, 142nd

Short term:
    127th Street southbound only between 118th and 126th
    124th Street northbound only between 118th and 126th

Ban semis from making the left at 149th, they would have to use the 151st Street loop to go left.

Longer terms build interchanges at
    149th, 127th/124th, 66th Streets

highlander

127 is a funny one because its the main drag north of the yellowhead but basically just a residential street south of there.

If money were unlimited:
    When the airport closes, extend 118ave through the airport, the intersection with kingsway and 121 becomes a 4-way, with Kingsway and 121 essentially one road, instead of Kingsway and 118 as now. Then you build a 4 lane viaduct to connect 121 from the south and 127 from the north, over the via station, the city impound lot and the yellowhead.

Split access to the yellowhead: WB access at the existing 127st location, EB at the existing 121st location, each something like existing EB access to the Yellowhead at broadmoor.

The province proposed to the city about 5 years ago to take over (100% funding for construction and maintenance) the Yellowhead similar to what happened with the Deerfoot in Calgary, however the city opted out as they felt the (if my memory is right) province's standards wouldn't meet the city's need.
    I would like to see some proof of that...

Or evidence of how the province's standards would no meet the City's needs.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    I would like to see some proof of that...

Or evidence of how the province's standards would no meet the City's needs.

I heard that rumor when the yellowhead was first being constructed. The Provincial stds would not fly in the city, due to the Province not allowing a lot of accesses. AHD is an example of how the Province llikes to do things, which is great, but the city prefers to cow-tow to business.

I heard that rumor when the yellowhead was first being constructed. The Provincial stds would not fly in the city, due to the Province not allowing a lot of accesses. AHD is an example of how the Province llikes to do things, which is great, but the city prefers to cow-tow to business.
    Not really, it's just that free-flowing traffic has been anathema to this city's transportation policies for decades.

I have no proof of the first part, but the second part is likely very true.

The city likes to think we need interchanges every 7 blocks or so on the yellowhead. Look at how the province has done the henday. (Save for not getting the first part done properly in terms of completion of interchanges) Look at how far out and properly spaced are the on and off ramps.

Do we really need all this access to the freeway? Its a bit much
    Henday, 184 st, 170st, 156st, 149st, 142st, St Albert Trail (135st), 127st, 124st, 121 st, 107st, 97st, 89st, 82st, 75st, 66st, 50st, Victoria Trail Henday.

It called space.... If they want to build any form of an overpass many bussiness will have to move... And rightly so they should... Allowing the City & Province to buid the Yellowhead as a free flowing freeway...
    When the northern part of Henday is done they should go full tilt on the yellowhead...

Does anyone have any proof that the province was willing to take over the road and fund the construction into a full freeway. I have never seen any other than speculation on this forum. I find it hard to believe the city would turn down over a Billion dollars of free infrastructure dollars becaue they didn't like the design.

Default Lessons worth learning

The Yellowhead design is such a dog's breakfast. It could never be built to freeway standards with all the small roads and interchanges especially east of 97th street. Too many businesses are too close to the Yellowhead and you would have to spend billion (yes Medwards $$$$$$BILLIONS$$$$$$$) to expropriate businesses, trench large sections of Yellowhead to allow overpasses at 66th street, 89th street, 107th street, 121st street, 124th street and the notorious 127th street.

Right now you can see people doing u-turns on Yellowhead which you can not do on Interstate type highways in the USA. I saw a C-train rig turn onto Yellowhead at 68th street and block all three east bound lanes around the blind curving LRT underpass. Luckily all the cars and trucks could stop in time but such access should not be possible on any limited access freeway.

Rather than spending more money on Yellowhead at this time we should learn a lesson from the AHD/23rd ave interchange. 23rd was a mess but when they started building the interchange, the south section of AHD was not complete. Once that section of AHD was open, the massive 23rd interchange IMHO has proven itself to not be necessary as many drivers bypass the interchange all together via the AHD. A smaller interchange could have sufficed especially a left turn underpass on the west side of SEC at 19th ave like that at the Bramalea City Centre Mall http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=43...,0.006856&z=17

Rather than fix all of Yellowhead's woes, we should focus on finishing the AHD in the NW and finish the last leg in the NE. Once this has been completed, then we can assess the traffic flow changes on Yellowhead especially the reduction of truck traffic and see if the reduced traffic flow on Yellowhead warrants any upgrades.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Actually PRT trenches require very little width, about 1' overall, for in Dallas some of the freeways there actually have the collector/distributor roads cantilevered over the main road so they can fit about 1 or 2 more lanes in the same width.
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=d...,12.66,,0,0.46

Texas interchanges are as well designed for U-turns, in Edmonton 82nd and 97th street interchanges already have this provision as well

As for 66th Street the province at one time owned the former Gainer's land they could have allocated part of the land for future Yellowhead expansion, but chose to sell the property intact.

you sure like to use that shock word 'billions'. it really helps strengthen the alarm bells. "Billions"

Rather than fix all of Yellowhead's woes, we should focus on finishing the AHD in the NW and finish the last leg in the NE. Once this has been completed, then we can assess the traffic flow changes on Yellowhead especially the reduction of truck traffic and see if the reduced traffic flow on Yellowhead warrants any upgrades.
    The way you word that, it makes it sound like you're talking about the city... the city isn't at all responsible for AHD.

etown you are correct that the Albert gov is responsible for most of the AHD costs and they would pick up a significant share of the Yellowhead costs but I still suggest that we wait before spending more money og Yellowhead and see how much traffic would be diverted when the entire AHD is completed.

And Medwards, what is your estimate to make the Yellowhead a freeway with limited access straight through Edmonton including building new interchanges at 66th street, 89th street, 107th street, 121st street, 124th street, 127th street. 142nd street, the RXR crossing at 144th street and 149th street?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-12-2009 at 05:33 PM.

That makes sense I suppose... I still think the Yellowhead will need to be completed in the near future, and that a north/south freeway is needed in the city.

Yellowhead is supposed to be built up to a freeway standard. End of story. The businesses along there have known this for decades.

Time to close down the access roads and piddly crap and get 'er done!
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

And Medwards, what is your estimate to make the Yellowhead a freeway with limited access straight through Edmonton including building new interchanges at 66th street, 89th street, 107th street, 121st street, 124th street, 127th street. 142nd street, the RXR crossing at 144th street and 149th street?
    I don't have an estimate for this. I'm not an estimator or in the construction estimating business.
    I also do not see the need for all these interchanges. Some of these accesses should be completely removed, or left to right in/right out only type access with no overpass or intersection (lights).
    Last edited by Medwards; 28-12-2009 at 10:04 PM.

C2E SME

I think, to say the least, that I'd like to see Yellowhead non-stop to Fort Road (and possibly 97 Street). At the same time, upgrade 75 Street, giving NE Edmonton more of an express route to South Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    Yellowhead is supposed to be built up to a freeway standard. End of story. The businesses along there have known this for decades.

Time to close down the access roads and piddly crap and get 'er done!
    A simple intersection as small as 62 street sees 200 to 400 transport trucks every day. How are you going close that without a lot of expense?

Lets take 400 transport trucks for an 8 hour day, this works out to 1 truck ever 1.2 minutes if my math is correct, I think 50th street can handle that volume quite nicely, 66th could help if there was an avenue that connected across to it.

C2E SME

I wonder how much truck traffic will be turning at 62 Street (or 89 Street) if firms relocate around Anthony Henday Drive (e.g. by the 184 Street CN Yards). For about 2% of the total traffic, I think these trucks could access their destinations from 66 Street.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast