Thread: Bring back the outdoor Santa Claus parade

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Bring back the outdoor Santa Claus parade

Please, replace Edmonton's rinky-dink pedway parade with a real honest-to-goodness outdoor Santa Claus parade. If Winnipeg can have an outdoor Santa parade that has lasted 103 years so can Edmonton.

If the DBA wants to stick to the indoor pedway parade, maybe either Old Strathcona or Alberta Ave can step up to the plate?

Oh, and maybe let's think about this as part of this Winter Strategy thingie?
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 17-11-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Interesting that Winnipeg has the parade at night as lighting the floats would make them look much more impressive than they would in the day. It seems that Winnipeg has a great strategy going for it with this parade.

Does Winnipeg have a summer parade like Kday's? I think parades are better in summer.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Does Winnipeg have a summer parade like Kday's? I think parades are better in summer.
    http://www.redriverex.com/entertainment/parade/
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Funny that none of the Winter Strategy proponents on here have any response to this.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E

A parade on Alberta Ave sounds great! Whyte Ave is already popular enough, better to spread newer events to places like Alberta Ave, 124 St or the North Edge. If Churchill Square can be jam-packed on NYE (it's a ritual for me and my friends), don't see why a parade won't work!
    Last edited by Cal76; 22-11-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Winter time, night time, outdoors....sounds magical
    mandel is a cry baby

They had the Christmas tree light-up ceremony yesterday, which is always well-attended. They could have an outdoor Santa Claus parade as a lead-up to this.

Alberta Ave is a brilliant idea. Someone get on that!!!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yeah man, if Santa Claus can't handle the Winter in Edmonton how can we expect the public to want to go outside? lol

http://www.edmonton.com/for-visitors...medium=twitter

The Downtown Business Association’s Jingle On Indoor Santa Parade Sunday, Dec 2, 2012, 10 – 11am
    Location Commerce Place (10155-102 Street), Manulife Place, (10020-101 Street) and Edmonton City Centre Mall (10025-102A Avenue)

Colourful floats, mascots, marching bands, dancers and others will jingle their way through Commerce Place, Manulife Place, and Edmonton City Centre Malls. The highlight is the arrival of Santa who takes a break from the North Pole for a pre-Christmas visit with all of Edmonton’s good boys and girls.
    Free candy for the kids. And best of all, you don’t have to worry about the weather!

Brutal although expected from the DBA. They are responsible to the businesses in the downtown...a good portion of which are inward-facing in those particular buildings. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Brutal although expected from the DBA. They are responsible to the businesses in the downtown...a good portion of which are inward-facing in those particular buildings. Sad.
    This has been going on for a long long time... 25 years to be exact and is what it is.
    http://edmontondowntown.com/dba-events.php

I agree that an outdoor parade would be great to have, but don't think that this parade is something recently contrived to promote inward facing foot traffic. It brings a good amount of people downtown who will patron a variety of businesses and spend some $$$.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'm not blaming the parade or the DBA.

The whole thing is just another symptom of the same affliction, and now because it's been around for a couple decades it's going to be nearly impossible to get anybody to agree that it should change.

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Alberta Ave is a brilliant idea. Someone get on that!!!
    X 2!

Alberta Ave already has the winter festival formula down. Maybe it's time for a winter parade!
    Parkdale

Years and years ago, Edmonton used to have a downtown Santa parade that went down Jasper Ave. I vaguely remember live TV coverage of this.

Ian...regardless if the parade has been indoors for 25 years, moving it back outdoors needs to be considered as part of your Winter Strategy. The fact that hundreds (if not thousands) can come out for the Christmas Tree lighting event is proof enough that an outdoor parade can still work. In fact, outdoor parade plus tree lighting as one event makes a lot of sense.

^I dont disagree and OUR Winter City Strategy speaks directly to encouraging more outdoor events.
    www.decl.org

It's happening!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...mber-1.3086602

Downtown Edmonton will host outdoor Santa Claus parade in November

Better watch out, don't cry or pout … because Santa Claus is definitely coming to town — six months from now.

And he's planning to be outside.

Edmonton's first Santa Parade of Lights will be held outdoors and downtown this coming November.

RWE Events is organizing the parade.

They wanted to get the word out in plenty of time, which was why they were talking about winter on a sunny and sultry spring day.

"This parade is less than six months away, said Dean Heuman, vice-president of RWE Events. "We need entries. We need community groups and people who want to come and join us. And we need sponsors to help us make this happen."

Organizers are looking to have about 30 entries maximum, Heuman said, to keep the parade to about an hour.

The route will start at Jasper Avenue and 99th Street and finish there as well, after circling Sir Winston Churchill Square.

Coun. Scott McKeen said an outdoor parade fits perfect with Edmonton's winter-city strategy, which is intended to get people to embrace the season rather than huddle in their homes.

"It's an odd time of year to be talking about Christmas, obviously," McKeen said. "And people might reflexively go ho hum, instead of ho, ho, ho.

"On a day like this, it is hard to imagine snow. But we all know it will come soon enough."

The most exciting part of the new parade, he said, is that it will be held outdoors.

Last November, the city's indoor Christmas parade was cancelled after 26 years.

It took more than 200 volunteers and cost $40,000 for a parade that wound its way through the corridors and pedways of City Centre Mall and adjoining buildings

The new outdoor parade is set to go on Nov. 21, at 4:30 p.m.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

You're welcome. Now go build a float!

More stuff to announce soon...
    Tired of being taken advantage of .

If its -30. its so cold for the little ones

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...mit=go&dCode=0

Historic norms for the city by month.

Yes, -30 is cold. However, the norm for around 4:30 pm is not that.

Thousands of people cram Churchill Square each November for the tree light-up, regardless of age and outdoor temps. Speaking of...

Richard was there any thought to doing the Santa parade at the same time as a lead-up to the tree lighting? or was there a greater appetite to keep it a separate event?

Good job, RichardS

Love the idea, miss toronto ones.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well especially now with LED technology this could be a really cool (no pun intended) parade.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Kudos to RichardS, and to all involved with bringing it back outdoors.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Default Proposed outdoor Santa Clause Parade of Lights

Interesting proposition for a night-time Santa Claus Parade in November. I remember, in the 1940s that there was an annual Santa Claus parade down Jasper Avenue. The event was sponsored by Eaton's Department Store. As I remember, it was always heavily-attended.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Thousands of people cram Churchill Square each November for the tree light-up, regardless of age and outdoor temps. Speaking of...

Richard was there any thought to doing the Santa parade at the same time as a lead-up to the tree lighting? or was there a greater appetite to keep it a separate event?
    The entire advisory team feels that this timing works.

With respect to the question about why we did not schedule the Parade on the same day at the DBA Light Up event: that’s also CFR weekend and it didn’t make sense to layer on another event in the same weekend. Instead, we will follow the Light Up event as part of a Countdown to Christmas. Many stakeholders in the downtown felt that this approach was best for this year. It may change in future years. We did make sure that Community Services, the DBA, the Mayor's office and local councillors (esp McKeen) were consulted in this approach.

With this event making complete sense to host in the core, one must ensure that the new event adds to downtown's vibe...not becoming a hindrance. Downtown is coming alive again at Christmas/Holidays, so making sure that there are enough activities spread out over time is prudent. We want it to attract people downtown.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Press release today from RWE Events. Disclosure, I am the Executive Director of this not for profit.

2015 Santa’s Parade of Lights Presented by Canadian Tire Edmonton, AB,

September 22, 2015 - RWE Events is pleased to announce Canadian Tire as the presenting sponsor of the inaugural Santa’s Parade of Lights, set to take place downtown on November 21, 2015 at 4:30 p.m.

“We are thrilled to have Canadian Tire sign on as presenting sponsor,” said Dean Heuman, vicepresident of RWE Events. “As a premier supplier of Christmas lights and decorations, Canadian Tire is the ideal partner to help us usher in the holiday season.”

A Canadian retail icon since 1922, Canadian Tire has a passion for celebrating life in Canada and strives to connect communities from coast to coast. In recent years there has been a real emphasis on celebrating winter. What better way to celebrate than by gathering with friends, family and community to kick off the holiday season. “On behalf of the Edmonton Canadian Tire Dealers, we are honoured to be a part of this first-time event,” says Jim Gamble, Associate Dealer and Owner of Currents Drive Canadian Tire. “Christmas is a special holiday at Canadian Tire. We provide an extensive selection of festive decorations and accessories to brighten every home in Canada during this magical season. The opportunity to contribute to a holiday event like the Parade of Lights helps reinforce our commitment to community.”

Locally owned and operated Canadian Tire stores have joined together to participate as the parade’s presenting sponsor. The parade will begin on the corner of Jasper Ave and 99 St, will travel approximately 1.75 km and will last about 30 – 40 min. Businesses and community groups are encouraged to participate in Santa’s Parade of Lights with a parade entry and by becoming a sponsor. For more information about Santa’s Parade of Lights, visit www.edmontonsantaparade.com.

We are looking for groups to enter this parade. Details are on the website. We have some great groups already, but the more, the merrier.

Thanks for masterminding this initiative, Richard.

I can brainstorm some ideas for groups and floats, though I imagine many of them were approached already:

• hockey clubs
    • curling teams (maybe pro teams from the Saville)
    • figure skating clubs (Glenora, WEM)
    • ski clubs
    • dog sled teams
    • Ice District
    • Oilers Octane cheerleaders
    • Candy Cane Lane
    • Alberta Ballet, who do the Nutcracker every year
    • whoever produces Christmas Carol every year, can do a Victorian theme
    • Christmas carol singing groups
    • Christmas Bureau
    • hot tub float!
    • talk to DECL about doing a latte-sipping hipster float!
    • COE - put a Santa hat on their big green inflatable monster
    • ugly sweater float
    • every parade is required to have a pipe & drum band even though it may get a tad chilly under them kilts
    • WEM penguins

DECL will be apart of this, love the latte idea!
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    have you got your float application in yet? they're downloadable from the web site but i can send you one if your firewall doesn't like that idea.

we can also out you in touch with some float designers and builders if you need some assistance with either.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Thanks for masterminding this initiative, Richard.
    I definitely appreciate the comment, but there are a lot of good people really driving this hard. A couple of ladies on the team are taking the reins and working extra hard to bring this to Edmonton.

While the support is excellent, the best support is to enter a float. Ideas and imagination are encouraged. This parade is about celebrating the holidays, and celebrating our city. Entries are needed. Let your creativity soar!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Perfect !

By fi bells on Saturday Top_Dawg will have a good load of belligerence in his belly and this will be a ideal target for his jeers and snowballs.

As long as there is no vomit involved, I guess.

Just an idea: collection boxes/wagons for Feed The Food Bank and Santas Anonymous.

I know the Motorcycle toy run recently concluded; however, if conditions are dry and safe for those riders who have 12v heat-vests a small contingent with toys could be fun.

A mini version of The singing Xmas tree. Hit up the museum for a collage of stuffed wild animals, foxes, jackrabbits, birds maybe even a polar or grizzly bear, place on a flat bed of snow. 3D light show on a couple of the buildings.
    Some mentioned an ugly sweater float. Have an ugly sweater competition.
    Decorate and ETS bus.
    Have venders selling hot chocolate. Give out free candy canes.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    A mini version of The singing Xmas tree. Hit up the museum for a collage of stuffed wild animals, foxes, jackrabbits, birds maybe even a polar or grizzly bear, place on a flat bed of snow. 3D light show on a couple of the buildings. Some mentioned an ugly sweater float. Have an ugly sweater competition. Decorate and ETS bus. Have venders selling hot chocolate. Give out free candy canes.
    Some good ideas from Gem. I recall Stuff A Bus with toys in Drayton Valley last year and I think there was something similar for the Food Bank in Edmonton as well. Maybe we could have two buses in Churchill coinciding with the parade one for Santas the other the Food Bank along with some Eskies players and/or Oilers to lend a hand, decorating the bus exteriors is a fun idea too.

I like hot chocolate and if permits are granted some Glühwein (mulled wine) is always a festive treat.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

there is never a shortage of good ideas...

it's the willingness and commitment to implement them instead of "throwing them out there" hoping someone else will deliver that can be harder to find.

^ akin to a relationship . . . commitment, dedication, follow-through.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    ^ akin to a relationship . . . commitment, dedication, follow-through.
    in what it takes perhaps - although there's not too many relationships where people suggest/expect that someone else always provides those things on their behalf if they want the relationship to be a success.
    Last edited by kcantor; 08-10-2015 at 09:16 AM.

^There are thinkers as well doers in life. We need both. If we get a combination personality of thinkers and doers, well, we need them also.

Going to start a new thread on the actual event.
    www.decl.org

Tonight's downtown santa parade was so bad I vote we put it back inside the mall. 40 minutes late starting (if it was actually cold out this would have been criminal), no music, two santa's (the MADD santa was on his phone while driving - oh, the effing irony) and to top it off HUGE transit disruptions following this mess with absolutely no notice.

Something is fundamentally wrong with whoever is in charge of these things. What is wrong with this town?

Yup, awful. 20mins late. Tons of notice and massive crowds with so many families. A bit more music would have been nice, but overall for it was a huge success.

www.decl.org

Where exactly was all the information posted in advance? Also maybe detours to be set up. I know I was coming home from work (I live in fox 2) at 6 pm and there was no detour or anything I came up 105st southbound in heavy traffic to meet blockades across Jasper ave, I ended up just sitting there until the whole thing was over and they moved the traffic blockers. Every other person in a vehicle seemed to have no idea what to do or where to go.

A notice inside any surrounding buildings would have helped. I know its not every day there is a parade I'm not complaining about my 1.5 hr wait to get home. But I don't think there was enough information/detours set up personally.

I think this was poorly organized from a traffic management perspective. They closed 108 St south of Jasper Ave at 2:30 PM and a couple of tow trucks showed up. That's 3 hours early, at the end of the parade route! I was at Monument for a snack and my car was parked on the other side of 108 St. There were no "don't parking" signs when I arrived.

Very poorly organized, what a shame...

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

My wife and kids went. They really enjoyed it, apart from it starting late. As mentioned by other posters, had it been colder it would have been awful. The parade organisers dodged a bullet. It would have been a PR disaster and soured the mood for people next year.

The complaint from my kids was not enough floats and more music would have been nice.

Hopefully this event can build and convince more businesses to participate. Edmonton Oilers, where are you? Stantec, PCL, etc.

My wife said it was packed. Kids everywhere. People in general and families in particular really want this event to become an EVENT, imo. People will come outside in winter if you give them a reason.

Hopefully next year and each year after bigger and better.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    My wife and kids went. They really enjoyed it, apart from it starting late. As mentioned by other posters, had it been colder it would have been awful. The parade organisers dodged a bullet. It would have been a PR disaster and soured the mood for people next year.

The complaint from my kids was not enough floats and more music would have been nice.

Hopefully this event can build and convince more businesses to participate. Edmonton Oilers, where are you? Stantec, PCL, etc.

My wife said it was packed. Kids everywhere. People in general and families in particular really want this event to become an EVENT, imo. People will come outside in winter if you give them a reason.

Hopefully next year and each year after bigger and better.
    thanks metro...

it's easy to criticize events like this but harder to remember that they are pretty much entirely volunteer efforts.

while this one is starting to get some community and business and city support, it's still pretty much volunteer time and money that produces and presents it.

you're right about it being a great example of what brings people outside in the winter - and the weather last year was a lot colder than it was yesterday - but it can be frustrating to see the level of money that's there to tap into for outside events and promotions like crushed ice that just doesn't seem to be there for home-grown events.

kudos to dean heuman and the crew at focus for sticking with it and for volunteers like richard skermer and mrs. santa claus for doing what they do.

there's a really good cure for "poorly organized/running late" - volunteer some time, enter or sponsor a float, write a letter to your councillor...

i've heard crowd estimates exceeded 30,000 and comments about every venue from Queen Donair to Boston Pizza to the food trucks and Remedy were all packed afterwards so it's clearly an event that people want to see grow and be successful.
    Last edited by kcantor; 19-11-2017 at 02:10 PM.

^ yes indeed.

My kids were pumped to go. They couldn’t wait for 5:30 to arrive.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My wife saw this from the 17th office floor last night. Looks like they had a great crowd.

Wasn't the Santa Clause parade held on Whyte Ave last year?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    My wife saw this from the 17th office floor last night. Looks like they had a great crowd.

last year it turned north on 101 street from jasper avenue and then east to rue hull (99 street) where it turned south past churchill square.

lrt and library construction imposed some changes this year and an end destination was harder to arrive at this year. it would be pretty cool to have the parade end at a revived light up the tree event with bonfires and other festivities lasting well into the evening...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks. I don't have kids (that i know of) so an event like this kind of slips under my radar. I'm just happy it's dt on jasper, where it needs to be
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

How is "volunteer run" a defence of a crappy event? Particularly in a town brimming with volunteer run events a majority of which without a modicum of the fundraising/profile raising muscle of a city event. Do other cities that run respectable parades pay people to do it? If so Edmonton should start doing that. And frankly, because EVERY parade in this town is/has become junk my expectations were exceedingly low to begin with so for this one to disappoint is pretty impressive.

No, ETS did not have any notifications in place that the primary bus stop out of downtown and across the river would be closed until 1 hour and 45 minutes following the parade.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    How is "volunteer run" a defence of a crappy event? Particularly in a town brimming with volunteer run events a majority of which without a modicum of the fundraising/profile raising muscle of a city event. Do other cities that run respectable parades pay people to do it? If so Edmonton should start doing that. And frankly, because EVERY parade in this town is/has become junk my expectations were exceedingly low to begin with so for this one to disappoint is pretty impressive.

No, ETS did not have any notifications in place that the primary bus stop out of downtown and across the river would be closed until 1 hour and 45 minutes following the parade.
    Spoken like a true non-volunteer?

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Well don’t blame me. I didn’t get off my sorry *** to lift a single finger to help out. How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

I'll gladly compare volunteer resumes if you'd like. Your inveterate posting assures me that my volunteer efforts outweigh yours by a substantial margin.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Well don’t blame me. I didn’t get off my sorry *** to lift a single finger to help out. How about you?
    I'm in st Albert, were going to their well organized event..👍😆

Shame for the kids in Edmonton though, and who the heck blamed you?

Maybe organize the parade to coincide with the Xmas Tree light up at City Hall.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Maybe organize the parade to coincide with the Xmas Tree light up at City Hall.
    as noted, the problem with that is that there isn't going to be a xmas tree light up at city hall this year and probably not next year either (lrt and library construction and needing to keep 103 ave open for emergency vehicles). it was under discussion previously and will hopefully be something that can be implemented in the future...

It's too bad about the tree and that no alternative could be found to put a one. Wonder if the approached the Ledge to see if they could not have put it there for a year or two. Hopefully the Santa Clause parade continues.

I'll gladly compare volunteer resumes if you'd like. Your inveterate posting assures me that my volunteer efforts outweigh yours by a substantial margin.
    Very likely so and that’s excellent!!! Then in the spirit of Christmas and bringing joy to the children, can they count on you stepping up next time rather than just calling their efforts “crappy”?

'Fraid not. I'll be busy improving the multiple community events I help plan and execute by asking for and welcoming criticism from all comers. What I won't be doing is applying a meaningless metric like "well a lot of people came so it must have been good" or excusing a lame-o event with "we're just volunteers after all".

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post

last year it turned north on 101 street from jasper avenue and then east to rue hull (99 street) where it turned south past churchill square.

lrt and library construction imposed some changes this year and an end destination was harder to arrive at this year. it would be pretty cool to have the parade end at a revived light up the tree event with bonfires and other festivities lasting well into the evening...
    Sorry I missed all the fun. I was out volunteering at another event.

Ken is right, finish with the Christmas tree light up, bonfires, bannock, etc.

With Churchill Square is disarray for the forseable future, might I encourage everyone to rediscover the legislature grounds? Great public space, can do the tree lighting a little early from the rest of the grounds, and there is skating in the lower park. A highly under utilized public space.

Let me be the first to say that if Dean or Richard need volunteers for next year's parade, I will gladly help. May even be able to find some parade participants

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/l...re-disappoints

Santa's quick departure disappoints

I attended Santa’s Parade of Lights Saturday evening with my children and grandchildren. We arrived early to view the parade near the end of the route.
    As it got busy, parade marshals and police advised the crowd that the entire parade would go south on 108 Street to disperse. We moved around the corner to view the parade as it turned south on 108 Street.
    All of the floats and Mrs. Claus came past and the kids all around us were having a marvellous time. The anticipation of Santa coming at the end grew. There were dozens of families standing on 108 Street and at least 100 children. Kids all around us, including our own, were getting so excited they could hardly contain themselves.
    Just as we started to hear people shouting they could see Santa, the police opened the barricades on the north side of the street and Santa’s sleigh turned north followed by a white van. Santa jumped into the van and took off.
    I don’t think that any of the children standing in our area even got a glimpse of him. This was so sad and disappointing. We stood there for two hours just so the kids could see Santa and they got robbed of that opportunity.
    Tracy Dykstra, Edmonton