Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Immediate changes to new user accounts

  1. #1
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Immediate changes to new user accounts

    Effective immediately,

    All user accounts will be moderated and approved prior to even being able to post.

    I tried to avoid this as it made signing up even harder, but with the increased spam activity and appearance of attempts to do a denial of service attack via spambots, it is necessary.

    Please be patient while your account is processed as I do have a real job and will not be monitoring C2E 24X7.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    As part of the transition to the new user authentication system, I have performed a mass delete of suspected sleeper accounts. It is quite possible that some legitimate accounts were deleted; however, that should be in the very small minority.

    I apologize if any legitimate accounts were deleted. I cannot tolerate any more spam accounts on C2E, so a very radical shotgun approach was needed to clean up any residual mess. As mentioned in the e-mail I sent out, the text for the spammers was not for you, we are sorry if your account was accidentally pulled into this batch, and we hope you re-register.

  3. #3

    Default

    I hope I'm not being too dense if I ask for clarification.

    1) Are you moderating (a) every account, including old ones, as the body of your message seems to indicate, or (b) just the new accounts that are established from this moment onward, going by the thread title?

    2) If the answer is (a), may I ask what this moderation entails? Is it just that all posts will be pre-moderated, or will there be other tests as well?

  4. #4
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    To be frank, I won't devulge the full method of moderation as to not tip off any human spammers as to what we are doing.

    Old users with an established history are exempt. The old accounts I referenced are for suspected "sleeper" accounts.

  5. #5
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Wow, I cannot believe some people.


    I will explain again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    As part of the transition to the new user authentication system, I have performed a mass delete of suspected sleeper accounts. It is quite possible that some legitimate accounts were deleted; however, that should be in the very small minority.

    I apologize if any legitimate accounts were deleted. I cannot tolerate any more spam accounts on C2E, so a very radical shotgun approach was needed to clean up any residual mess. As mentioned in the e-mail I sent out, the text for the spammers was not for you, we are sorry if your account was accidentally pulled into this batch, and we hope you re-register.

    Yes, I did take time out over the past 2 nights to review over 3000 accounts both automatically and manually. I did not take this action lightly.

    Out of 3000+ accounts, only to have 8 come back as legitimate I feel is well below my predicted 1% margin of error.

    So far, 6 out of the 8 were extremely understanding. 2 need to get off their high horse.

    Yes, the e-mail was terse, but it contained a preamble that said the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by C2E Administration

    It is possible that some legitimate accounts were inadvertently deleted as part of this measure. We apologize for this and hope that you re-register. The following text is not for you."
    I am beside myself at the expectations of people when it comes to a free site. This is the last straw.

  6. #6

    Default

    How dare you make changes for the betterment for C2E community.

  7. #7
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Thanks, Admin, for all your efforts.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  8. #8
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Wow, I cannot believe some people.


    I will explain again.


    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    As part of the transition to the new user authentication system, I have performed a mass delete of suspected sleeper accounts. It is quite possible that some legitimate accounts were deleted; however, that should be in the very small minority.

    I apologize if any legitimate accounts were deleted. I cannot tolerate any more spam accounts on C2E, so a very radical shotgun approach was needed to clean up any residual mess. As mentioned in the e-mail I sent out, the text for the spammers was not for you, we are sorry if your account was accidentally pulled into this batch, and we hope you re-register.

    Yes, I did take time out over the past 2 nights to review over 3000 accounts both automatically and manually. I did not take this action lightly.

    Out of 3000+ accounts, only to have 8 come back as legitimate I feel is well below my predicted 1% margin of error.

    So far, 6 out of the 8 were extremely understanding. 2 need to get off their high horse.

    Yes, the e-mail was terse, but it contained a preamble that said the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by C2E Administration

    It is possible that some legitimate accounts were inadvertently deleted as part of this measure. We apologize for this and hope that you re-register. The following text is not for you."
    I am beside myself at the expectations of people when it comes to a free site. This is the last straw.
    i would assume that of the 2,992, all were anonymous. i would be curious about the other 8 and, of those 8, 2 in particular... not that that is a great sample size.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  9. #9
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I did receive a nice letter from a user who was caught in this action apologizing for being terse. Thank you sir.

  10. #10
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    I once had my account removed because the forum Admin there felt "Gord" was a nickname, which they didn't allow. I had to explain that in Canada many Gordons shorten their name to Gord, and that the checks from my employer said "Gord" on them. Apparently Gordons in the US don't shorten their names.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  11. #11
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I did receive a nice letter from a user who was caught in this action apologizing for being terse. Thank you sir.
    in that vein, please accept this post as "a nice letter from a user who was not caught in this action" for what you have built and what you have invested in this site not only financially but personally.

    thank you sir...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  12. #12
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Thanks.

    Another 200 tried to sign up this morning. 500 accounts were deleted last night.

    I apologize if any new user tried to gain access, but I did go through the IP's one by one. Unless we have a lot of Chinese fans of Edmonton, I think I'm ok.

  13. #13
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,956

    Default

    Wow, I see all the newly registering "members."

    Geez I wish these idiots would get a life.

    Maybe its my fault. I'm a sucker for the offers, and keep buying the stuff. Now I'm looking for some penis reduction pills.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  14. #14
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default



    Another 100 removed today.

  15. #15
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Red Deer
    Posts
    2,561

    Default

    Can vBulletin be set to make the admin authorize new registrations instead of an auto-authorization?

  16. #16
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    While there is a new authorization process, the username still shows up when you initially try to register. That is how vB works. The permissions and how the username flows from signed up to able to post is another story...

  17. #17
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Maybe it's time to change the questions that are asked upon sign up? I counted 5 different ones; maybe make them a bit harder, or just different.

    Name the company attached to the hockey rink
    Last name of the owner of the hockey team
    Name the company attached to the baseball stadium
    Name the tennant at WEM that moved here from Quebec
    Name the WHL team that plays in Edmonton

    I assume they're just running scripts, so changing up the questions once a week should throw them off for a bit.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  18. #18
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012
    Posts
    3,178

    Default

    Curious. I couldn't have answered any of those questions until I've been here a while.

    Eve

  19. #19
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton - Blue Quill
    Posts
    3,057

    Default

    Those questions would deter people from all over the world who are enquiring about Edmonton. I remember a thread from someone in Ireland who had questions before moving here.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

  20. #20
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Do you know any of the questions asked right now? Some people may have to look those up as well.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  21. #21
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I put 3 new ones on and tried to be a bit generic.

  22. #22
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Well, it appears to be working. Thank you for the suggestion Gord!

    The real test is tonight, for that is where 300+ per night try to register.

  23. #23
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Glad I could help. Maybe change them up once a week and it should help. You could always try simple math problems, but formatted like:
    One plus 5 is ____

    Or

    The second word in this sentence is _____

    It should make it more difficult for their scripts to cope. Sometimes it's fun to play the cat and mouse game; at least you get to be the cat
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  24. #24
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Well, the verdict of last night is in. Only ONE spam account was able to get through and it was a known human spam account.

    You don't know how relieved I am to see a user list of people online and know that they are all actual contributors. Now to get a more varied set of contributors to this site again.

  25. #25
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    5,071

    Default

    Awesome! It'll be interesting to see how long those new questions keep them busy.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

  26. #26

    Default

    Thanks... I think moderating the accounts is definitely a good idea to avoid/decrease spam...
    Last edited by faye; 03-12-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo error

  27. #27
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I cannot tell you all how nice it is to see real people's accounts far more than spammers. This is 2 weeks running now.

    There still is one user pretty sore at the mass delete. Oh well.

  28. #28
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    744

    Default

    Thanks, Admin. I really appreciate your work!

    Btw, most people in my circle wouldn't have a clue about the baseball park, just saying (probably says more about the Capitals though- are they still around?)

  29. #29
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grovenor
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I had an old account removed, but no biggie, I just signed up again. My fault for being a lazy poster. I thankfully knew the answer to the riverboat question *phew*
    OntheSpotPopUps.com | MercerCollective.com | Twitter:@Stuporstar

  30. #30
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,494
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Thank you for signing up again, and for being so understanding.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •