Thread: Windows 8 - to upgrade or not too upgrade

Default Windows 8 - to upgrade or not too upgrade

Anyone have the new Windows 8 operating system. I see on the Microsoft web-site your can download it for $39.99.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/buy

Anyone thinking of upgrading or already has it, how does it rate.
    The screen looks gaudy to me, unorganized.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I've tried a new Windows 8 laptop my friend bought and I personally think it's great. He's also really liking the new OS. It is much more touch oriented but works fine with a mouse and keyboard. Desktop mode allows you to use your computer as if it were a Windows 7 machine. The Live Tiles are pretty cool too, rather than having to open up an app or program, all the information you need just instantly pops up on the screen. A learning curve does exist but the OS is great once you get past the basics. I'm personally waiting for the Surface tablet with Windows 8 Pro once that comes out in 2013.

I did watch a couple of tutorials on line about how the OS works but they go pretty fast and touch on a few things. It does look like a complete departure from the way the previous systems work. It did mention you could keep it looking like previous Windows OS's. The download price of $39.99 seems reasonable and it's on for that price until Jan. 2013. It is the Window 8 Pro and that includes the Media Centre. Thanks for your info, I appreciate it.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

No problem, but I also did want to mention that this OS is not for everyone. Since the OS is so different from previous versions, I know some people who have created Windows 7 recovery disks so that if they really do end up hating Windows 8, Windows 7 can be reinstalled. Would definitely recommend going to any retailer and just play around with some of the computers to get a feel for the new OS. Also, its not like Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 anytime soon, it will be supported until January 2015. There's no rush to get Windows 8.

Good idea to go check it out somewhere. A buddy of mine just bought a new laptop and she got Windows 8 with it. Yeah, Windows 7 will be supported for some time yet. I have an old laptop that that I don't use anymore. It has Windows Vista on it and I believe that Windows 8 can be upgraded over it provided you have the system requirements. It would be a cheap fix to get that old laptop up to speed. I did back up my Windows 7 and have the disk. I even took my laptop back to the factory settings at one point as I got a virus in it.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I won't be upgrading to W8 on my desktops right away, but I did upgrade my ASUS EP121 slate and I must say it really wakes up this tablet. Win7 was OK and I used the tablet more than my laptop at times, but now it is no choice...the tablet is out the most.

There are some fussy issues, but those are personal. Overall, if you have a tab/slate PC - go for it!
    Onward and upward

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The motherboard on my desktop died, so I decided to get a new tower with Windows 8 installed. It's way different from Windows Vista that the old system had. I'm still in the process of installing the programs that I most use. So far so good, but i have not yet got the printer or scanner working.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Most of the reviews I have seen haven't been very positive, I suggest searching the internet for reviews to see the pros and cons before upgrading. If you like Windows 7, I would suggest not upgrading (its mainly designed for touch screen computers/tablets).

C2E Continued Contributor

I upgraded from Win7, and I found the transition to it much easier than I thought. Most of the time, I can still do the majority of my tasks in desktop mode, but having some of the features in the Metro interface are kind of nice too.

For a traditional desktop PC, I'm not sure you're gonna miss out on any new features, at least not in the immediate future, if you don't upgrade. It really is geared towards tablets / touch screens.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I wonder how long it will be before the traditional desktop mouse and monitor is replaced by touchscreen?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

One of the biggest draws to upgrade to Windows 8 is the price. The online $39.99 upgrade price is good until Jan. 2013. You can buy the upgrade disk online for not much more. Staples is charging $79.99 for the upgrade disk and that price is good until Jan. 31/2013. I read that Windows 8 upgrade is not flying of the shelves and sales have been rather slow. Hence the low upgrade price. Of course, it is now on all new electronics you buy. One thing I did read was that even if you upgrade to Windows 8 you can still run your computers in Windows 7 mode.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just curious, why are you thinking of upgrading? What are you getting for your $40?

^If I am going to upgrade I would rather get it at the bargain basement price of $39.99 than what they will be charging after the offer is over. New Windows 8 operating system. The latest (but not sure if it's the greatest) operating system out there. What do you think they are selling?.
    Last edited by Gemini; 25-11-2012 at 11:50 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They are selling hype and an O/S designed for touchscreens, its adoption rate has been very slow. Read some reviews Gemini, I have read quite a few and haven't read many positive ones.

Is there a killer feature that you need that isn't offered on your current O/S (otherwise you are just handing over $40)?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Windows 8 is definitely a big UI change so I think you need to assess how valuable that is to you. Personally if I was a Windows user I'd likely have upgraded already on at least one machine but then part of my job is being on top of the latest stuff and I like playing with different UIs. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is sticking with Windows 7 as it does everything she needs to right now. If all you're interested in is running your apps (games or productivity), Windows 7 is solid and will be supported for years.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

…well…I can tell you what I got for my $40….

…I too did my research…and knowing most of the tech writers and their fanboy penchants when it comes to anything non iOS or Android…I took a lot of it with a grain of salt…

I too read the reviews about incompatibility issues, websites that don’t work, and other items…items these same writers would excuse iOS for not having, or Android having “teething” concerns as it gives itself yet another cavity from its diet of ice cream sandwiches, honeycombs, jellybeans, and the like…so again, a grain of salt…

…and yes, I have played with and used many of the OS’s and devices I just mentioned…I even own a (le gasp) PlayBook…

…but I too avoided the XP-Vista upgrade…I didn’t see the point and having a bit of an inside channel I was flat out told to stay on XP…and I didn’t regret that decision…also I learned a lot from the 98 – WinME debacle I tried…and ended up reinstalling 98….

…so, after reading a lot, and asking questions of old friends…I dropped my $40 as I wanted the touch interface for my work based pro slate PC…Win 7 was OK…but seriously it needed a mouse more often than not…

…with the words of Win8=Armageddon in mind…I had every recovery disk imaginable around…

I can say the upgrade is 100% worth it. It was seamless…all my applications work perfectly… SAP, Citrix, Cisco VPN, Oracle, Office Suite, Adobe, VAX/AS400 emulators, you name it. Some personal apps had hiccups such as Pogoplug, but then they were addressed by the vendor in hours. I had an issue with the hot keys, but a quick BIOS update fixed that. All other drivers are up and running from the word GO. Even the pieces of hardware that had issues with Win7, worked flawlessly after the upgrade. Some older websites are having issues, but then they are OLD coded websites…

…last time I mentioned how I liked the tablet…and how it impressed clients on several occasions because it actually worked on networks and with business applications right out of the box…I got a couple from the crowd here…well, after win8…all I can do is

I even took the slate to a RFQ response meeting the following day and used it for the presentation. It worked great…PowerPoint was easy to manipulate, the moving between set web pages and other documents was a swipe of the hand…here I had visions of the fanboy karma hitting me when I took a chance on Billy and the Beaten…but Billy didn’t let me down…and still hasn’t 2 weeks later…

You see, one thing that many reviewers keep failing to note is that Win8 is not designed for the current crop of hardware out there. If you upgrade, then you upgrade. That is why Win7 will be around for a long long time, and even why XP is still supported. Surface is the tablet for the people who want to play with Windows apps and have access to their office suite natively. Microsoft expected a low adoption rate initially until people start looking to replace their PC’s. This was not about upgrading your existing system as it was preparing for the convergence of hardware platforms over the next 2 years or so. I have an excellent tablet in my ASUS EP121…so I did not need the consumer Surface tablet…I have Win8 Pro…and with the recent death of my VAIO’s HD LCD screen, I am waiting for the professional tablets to come out to replace that laptop with sometime in February…the EP121 is i5 and I wouldn’t mind the new i7 suite.

Gemini, if you do not have a touch enabled PC, do not upgrade. The Metro OS is definitely designed with new hardware in mind. My main desktop is still Win7, although I did use my secondary desktop as a guinea pig to see what happens just to be fair. While you can right click your way around, the experience is not worth it. I used my busted screen laptop as a desktop for this test…may as well…it was only 6 months old and hooked up to my monitor via HDMI…

Yes, Metro has a typical desktop that you can access a la Win7. The only thing it does not have is a START menu – that would be Metro - which again is a pain to access if you do NOT have a touch screen. I need a new monitor anyway for my gaming PC, and I have a line on a certified Win8 screen from a friend, so I will give that a go and test it on my busted laptop before playing on the big machine.

In short,

No touch screen….DON’T UPGRADE…for hard core gamers, you could look at getting the touch monitor if your chassis is that self-built screamer most of you probably have. For the rest, stick with Win7 unless you recently bought your PC hardware (1 year or less) and want to invest in a touch screen. Otherwise, don’t bother until you want to replace the system.

PROS:
    • Smooth touch operation.
    • Intuitive
    • Works quickly with most legacy applications
    • Easy upgrade with only one BIOS issue and some smaller personal apps that burped
    • Touch keyboard is really easy to use and type with…like I am right now!

CONS
    • If you don’t have a touch screen, don’t bother
    • If you want to upgrade your monitor, you need to get one that is Win8 tested as there are motions that you will not get otherwise
    • Some “apps” were rushed. eBay app is still clunky, guitar apps suck, and real player app is not ready. I go back to the legacy applications for these
    Onward and upward

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I wonder how long it will be before the traditional desktop mouse and monitor is replaced by touchscreen?
    My guess is that some type of pointer device will never really go away due to funcationality that they provide (buttons for user menus and the like), plus the ability for them to provide a greater level of control for artists and engineers v your finger...

...but the big key here is how the software adapts...especially in gaming, publishing, and engineering applications...

...from a hardware standpoint, you may have to readjust how you set up a monitor...perfectly vertical is not the best orientation for a touch experience...I find a back angle of at least 45 deg more comfortable...

...within 12-18 months though, I would expect that a large majority of new hardware will come with touch...
    Onward and upward

I'd rather C2E than work!

Personally I'm not going to upgrade, rather I'll be migrating most of my windows computers over to Linux (probably UBUNTU). Windows 8 offers too little for the money they want.

I put Win8 on my older tablet at home back when it was still RC. It uses a pen instead of being touch enabled. Haven't played around with it that much though, as it doesn't work so well with just the pen. Needs a touch screen for sure to get much use out of it (as many others have said).
    Instead of having a start menu, you now have a start screen. Updated resource graphics, but once you get into the desktop environment, its pretty much just windows 7.

One of my clients bought a new laptop, and they didn't even know they got Windows 8 with it, When I setup the laptop for them, I explained the changes, and they seemed to be on board with it... and even liked the new changes. This was an older person (close to retirement), who I was worried wouldn't like the change... but whatever.

Has anyone tried office 2013 yet with it? They seem to have changed the look for the office apps a bit again...

Well, not sure if my laptop does have touch screen capabilities. I will have to do some research on that. My new one might but I have a Alienware older laptop, that may not.
    I am not a gamer, the Alienware was given to be by a family member. I also read that Windows 8 pro has the Media Centre included. Apparently only 6% of people who have Windows use Windows Media. Now that I have read your posts I am leaning towards not installing Windows 8 at this time. I don't mind my Windows 7, it works just fine for me. You know the old saying 'If it's not broke don't fix it'. Might be the best way for me to go.
    I appreciate all the input. It's been very informative.

glengiggity

Thou shalt not install new Windows OS until first service pack is released

Quote Originally Posted by glengiggity View Post
    Thou shalt not install new Windows OS until first service pack is released
    Win7 out of the box was lightyears ahead of all Windows before it, and stable as a rock. Win 8 appears to be rock solid too. I imagine the first service pack will fix most of the UI quibbles (like putting the start menu back in), but as far as stability goes, I don't think you need to wait for SP1 to get a good OS.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by HarjotG01 View Post
    No problem, but I also did want to mention that this OS is not for everyone. Since the OS is so different from previous versions, I know some people who have created Windows 7 recovery disks so that if they really do end up hating Windows 8, Windows 7 can be reinstalled. Would definitely recommend going to any retailer and just play around with some of the computers to get a feel for the new OS. Also, its not like Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 anytime soon, it will be supported until January 2015. There's no rush to get Windows 8.
    Well, took your advice and went and tried it out. It is not bad. I don't think I would have any trouble figuring it out. The new W8 desktop does look like cheap wall paper. The previous Windows desktops look more organized. I have until Jan. 2013 to be able to download it a a rock bottom price so I will be waffling about it until then.

I had Windows 8 on a new computer. After a couple of months I had it removed and had Windows 7 installed. Hated Win 8.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Same, I couldn't stand Windows 8.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/store-char...s-to-windows-7

I have been using Win 8 since last August and over time I have gotten used to it to the point where the changes no longer bother me. Granted I don't spend too a lot of time using the Metro interface but possibly because I also have a Playbook the similarities in the tablet interface meant that it wasn't totally foreign to me.

But having said that the melding of the old desktop with the new tablet interface on older and existing hardware doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. It would be like Apple putting both IOS and OSX on their exising iMacs and MacBooks.

However I think Win 8 will make more sense in the newer touch enabled hardware and especially in the hybrid laptops like the HP Envy x2 that allows the screen to be detached from the keyboard and used as a tablet.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Tried it, didn't like it.

Sums it up pretty nicely:
    http://youtu.be/WTYet-qf1jo

Youtube didn't show up, for some reason.. so link. Meh, KC already posted it..
    Last edited by Legacy; 27-01-2013 at 11:55 AM.

For those of you who don't like it, is there anything specific that you don't care for? To be honest, I really don't find it all that different than Windows 7 (aside from the addition of the Metro interface).

The Microsoft offer to download Windows 8 for $40 ends January 31/13. I have been mulling it over and I think I am going to stick with my Windows 7 system. It just seems there are too many hidden apps etc on Windows 8. Too much time looking for stuff. The metro screen looks like cheap wallpaper or a kindergarden project. I'm sticking with Windows 7 until I have to change it.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I will say it again...if you don't have a touch screen...don't upgrade...

If you buy a PC with Win8 installed. make sure it has a touch interface...

It took me all of 1 day to figure out the OS...the same when I tried Android on my Samsung device...or even any Apple products.

The above animated vid was funny, but intentionally over exaggerated...aka typical fanboy...you see the same in the Android bashers or the iOS bashers...

...so I took it as the joke it was meant to be. ...he lost me with the context icon bit...standard OOTB Metro does not have the picture icons...they have the regular icons you can identify...I had zero issues identifying the tiles right at the start...

...you can customize the tile to add the pictures...thereby making it a custom interface FOR YOU...so no wonder another person can't quickly decipher your logic!

In short...while there are some annoying things (like the initially too long method to delete an app)...and I will not be upgrading my non-touch desktop to Win8 ever...on my Win8 tablet..I am running circles in productivity over any other tablet....no regrets...
    Onward and upward

^I hear ya. I don't have touchscreen on my laptop or desktop computers and don't intend to upgrade. My daughter has touchscreen and Windows 8 and she does just fine with it. I guess if I was forced into having to use it I would but it's just not for me at the moment.

I've never used Windows 8 but it sounds like they took a concept invented to overcome very small screens and then applied it to users who had ample screen space and didn’t need to compromise…

Like telling a construction worker to start using the handy folding shovel to do his job. It’s so handy it fits in the back of a compact car - everybody will now get to use one!

Microsoft Corporation Could Improve With Windows 9
    http://guardianlv.com/2014/06/micros...ith-windows-9/
    excerpt:
    "By attempting to merge the operating system for a desktop and a tablet, there seemed to be two different operating systems in Windows 8. On the desktop, the familiar windows would pop up and the user could dig through folders to find what they were looking for. Most programs opened in familiar fashion and would feel as natural as it should be.

Then a user would want to watch a Netflix movie or a read a PDF file and those would open an app that took over the entire screen. Those not familiar with how tablets worked were confused how to switch back to the desktop. ..."

^That's exactly what I hate on Windows 8, its sort of half assesed. They should have gone the whole way with the tile system, perhaps making it more mouse friendly so don't have to swipe for menus, its weird flipping from one desktop screen to the other depending on the program, its a compromise baked together.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...I've been on W8 for some time now...and like it...

still, I don't recommend it if you don't have a touch screen...

...as for being a compromise...if you're a company that has a gaggle of users clamouring for a "touch interface"...and then a huge constituency of users demanding a classic mouse interface... hmm...and you're surprised it is a compromise in the initial release?
    Onward and upward

If anyone wants Windows 8 to function like Windows 7, with a proper start menu, try Classic Shell; it's a program that restores the desktop OS functionality. You can still get to the tablety stuff in Win8 if you need it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ... ...as for being a compromise...if you're a company that has a gaggle of users clamouring for a "touch interface"...and then a huge constituency of users demanding a classic mouse interface... hmm...and you're surprised it is a compromise in the initial release?
    I find the compromise of having essentially two interfaces in one though is somewhat confusing and unintuitive. If I run some programs, I go to the tiles, if I run others, I go to the old school screen.

Windows 7 was there for those who wanted a pure mouse experience.

Hopefully 9 just moves to tiles, but somehow makes it easier to use with a mouse, it should be possible to marry the two IMO, perhaps just having a start, close buttons, etc., in addition to the swipe from edge.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...yet my 73 year old father had few problems with the ASUS VivoTab 8 I bought him for Father's Day...

To each...their own...
    Onward and upward

^True. If just use explorer browser in the metro interface it probably matters not. But if you want to use Chrome which isn't in metro, and then have to switch back and forth between interfaces, its annoying (at least, to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    If anyone wants Windows 8 to function like Windows 7, with a proper start menu, try Classic Shell; it's a program that restores the desktop OS functionality. You can still get to the tablety stuff in Win8 if you need it, too.
    Been using Classic Shell since December when I installed copies of W8 on both desktops. Great little program. I went from W7 to W8 upgrade because of the massive performance gains in Battlefield 4, it was night and day. Now that it's been some 6+ months of the game being out, W7 might run it much better through Bf4 patches... but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm very happy with W8 but couldn't imagine using it without Classic Shell.

Chrome has metro mode now

^thanks, I'll check that out. Classic shell as well.

Nobody likes change...

I still don't get why people can't see how similar it is to Win7, if they spend more than 5 minutes with it.

Default "...distance itself from the Windows 8 train wreck"

^that's actually my beef with it though, one home screen is roughly the same as windows 7 but the start button isn't as good, the metro interface is interesting. They should have just made up their mind and went with one apporach or the other, not two systems tied together. I was hoping that for windows 9 that they will just go with Metro, and just go with 64 bit, but it looks like that's not the case:

To distance itself from the Windows 8 snafu, Microsoft’s next major update — Threshold — will reportedly skip Windows 8.2 and jump straight to Windows 9. Windows 9 is expected to arrive in April 2015, with internal sources saying that Windows 9 will make good on many of the Windows 8 features that caused such cruel and unusual distress to Desktop users. The Start menu is expected to make its illustrious return, and you should be able to run Metro apps on the Desktop in windows. Microsoft is still on schedule to release Windows Phone 8.1 and a service/feature pack for Windows 8.1 at the Build conference in April.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-8-train-wreck

That reads to me, like still desktop and metro, but that desktop will be better / more useful. In other words, metro is being sidelined as a subset of desktop (although perhaps not for tablets):

Windows 9 is also expected to feature Metro 2.0 — some kind of maturation of the current Metro design language that dominates the Windows 8 Start Screen and apps. It’s not immediately clear what Metro 2.0 will be exactly, but part of it appears to be the ability to run Metro apps in separate windows on the Desktop. Presumably, if Metro apps are going to be on the Desktop, they will also gain the ability to be controlled with a mouse and keyboard. (Navigating current Metro apps with your keyboard is unpleasant to say the least.) Windows 9 may also feature complete cross-platform app compatibility between Windows 9, Windows Phone 8.1, and the Xbox One — but really, it’s too early to tell at this point.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-06-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Is anyone getting a message on their computers from Microsoft offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. It's a limited time upgrade and it's the full version.
    I doubt will be able to update as I am still running on Windows 7 as I am not a big fan of Windows 8. This is not the actual message I got as it will not let me copy it. The web-site below was sited if I wanted more info.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windo...earnMore_win10

Yup, everyone should be getting it that uses W7 and W8. The key part is you have a year to do the free upgrade from when it's released on July 29th. For gamers, the upgrade is almost a must because of the use of DirectX 12 in W10 which will bring big performance & graphic increases. But I'll be waiting a month or so until I do my upgrade due to possible game breaking bugs upon release.

Windows 10 is supposed to not be anything like W8 (UI wise) so you may want to grab it Gem.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I removed the notification and won't be upgrading to 10.

http://microsoft-news.com/how-to-rem...and-windows-8/

C2E Long Term Contributor

^^ Slight clarification: for Windows 7 you have to have Service Pack 1
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Yup, everyone should be getting it that uses W7 and W8. The key part is you have a year to do the free upgrade from when it's released on July 29th. For gamers, the upgrade is almost a must because of the use of DirectX 12 in W10 which will bring big performance & graphic increases. But I'll be waiting a month or so until I do my upgrade due to possible game breaking bugs upon release.

Windows 10 is supposed to not be anything like W8 (UI wise) so you may want to grab it Gem.
    I did not upgrade to Windows 8 as I just did not like it. Have not read any reviews yet on Windows 10 as I don't think there are any out yet. If I did upgrade to Windows 10 it will probably take some time to download as it will have to update my system from Windows 7 & there have been a lot of updates in between.
    I do have Service Pack 1
    Last edited by Gemini; 03-06-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Windows 10 is a free* upgrade for Windows 7/8 users.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post

Have not read any reviews yet on Windows 10 as I don't think there are any out yet. If I did upgrade to Windows 10 it will probably take some time to download as it will have to update my system from Windows 7 & there have been a lot of updates in between.
    I do have Service Pack 1
    There a quite a few reviews of it out already, as it has been available as a tech preview for quite some time now. We've tried it at the office on a few different devices to see how we can integrate it into our environment.

It likely won't take any longer than an up to date system, just because you're missing some updates. As long as you've got the minimum requirements, which is sounds like you do having Service Pack 1, it'll just come down to your internet, and computer speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^^ Slight clarification: for Windows 7 you have to have Service Pack 1
    Who wouldn't have SP1 by now? Just wondering if there would be a real world reason as to not getting it

If you got the hardware, go for it I say

I am going to upgrade to Windows 10, and I cannot wait.

Windows 8 (and 8.1) are terribly unintuitive and are not helpful for doing anything complex (like having more than one window open at a time).

Lookin forward to Win10 myself. Hoping MS can continue with making another solid OS like Win7 and Win8 are.

I liked windows 7, but hated windows 8 (Schizo IMO), I'm pretty excited about 10, I think it will be much better than 8, which always felt like two OS badly hacked together. 8 will probably end up like Vista, a mistake quickly forgotten.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's Microsoft's typical cadence, going back to ME. Just skip every second OS release.

^^ I don't know. The touch-tile approach is good for touch screen devices but forcing desktop-mouse users to live that format sucks. (Just like the lack of a start icon.) Windows 8 just doesn't seem at all intuitive to me. I've had to search for a number of functionalities just to find them rather than just following and exploring the old menuing system of the past.
    Last edited by KC; 04-06-2015 at 06:59 PM.

I did find a few reviews after someone mentioned in a post that there were reviews of Window 10 out there. Apparently Windows 10 has improved a lot on the problems of Window 8. If's supposed to be more in tune with Windows 7. The 'start' function is supposed to be more like the Windows 7 format along with other features.

There was actually no problems with Windows 8, its very fast and stable. The fact is that a lot of people just didn't bother to actually give it a serious try.

Just like in Windows 7, you can pin applications to the start menu, but instead of creating a big list of pinned apps, you can create categories, and group applications together. Then you have one screen with all your apps. I'm not sure how it gets any simpler than that. Microsoft basically made it so you your start screen is where you put the apps you use the most...not a massive list of all apps installed on the computer. That is still there, but isn't the first thing you see when you hit the start button.

Also, keep in mind, you can remove every single default pinned app that Microsoft provides, and organize the start screen any way you want. Then you likely won't be spending lots of time searching through the start screen.

So while Win8 works well with touchscreens and tablets, it works equally as well for a desktop solution. Sure it is a different UI than what people are used to, and some will be quick to dismiss it, just because it is different, but give it an honest try, and I think most would be shocked at how easy and similar it really is to Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    There was actually no problems with Windows 8, its very fast and stable. The fact is that a lot of people just didn't bother to actually give it a serious try.
    I have it on my home PC, I have given it a serious try, I still hate it. It makes no sense for example, to have two versions of explorer, one for the windows tile screen, one for the regular windows screens. Programs randomly open in one of the two screens, depending on which they are optimized for. The tile system is useless with a mouse, where in Windows 7 I could close an application with a single click, now I have to swipe it up, it just takes longer and is less productive. Microsoft just couldn't make up their minds - "go with tiles", or "go with traditional interface". I'm glad Windows 10 will try to integrate the two together, its much needed, I don't want two OS on my computer, just one.
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-06-2015 at 08:18 AM.

That can all be changed with adjusting the default programs files open with. Same as Windows 7. There is nothing I do on my machine that ever opens up any file screen tiled application.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    I have it on my home PC, I have given it a serious try, I still hate it.
    Same. It's faster, but not easier to use than Windows 7 (but it should be).

When I got my new Windows 8 laptop over a year ago I spent hours upon frustrating hours setting up my PC just trying to get the damn thing to act in a predictable manner. It wasn't a simple task, either - it took a lot of digging around and configuring settings in non-obvious places. It's mostly stable and useable now, but sometimes while I am working it does funny and seemingly random things because the tile system is still active in there somewhere. If Windows 10 has fixed this, then I will be super happy.

I also dislike touch screen tablets, so the tile interface is completely pointless for me.

Now I have promoted myself to Windows 10. Is it utter and frustrating garbage or is it just me. It's slow, there is still script errors after fixing them several times, it defaults back to things you have changed, it freezes. Is Windows going to do anything about this.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I've found Win10 to be great on my desktop, HTPC, and 7 year old laptop. No complaints at all really.

I have heard that too but also others who have had the same issues as me. I bought a new laptop and Windows 10 came with it. Was thinking of going back to Windows 7 or 8 but some are saying Windows 10 would be just forces back onto the computer. The running scripts are the worse.

All versions of Windows work better on a fresh install rather than an in-place upgrade. Suggest trying that (especially if you are finding it slower)

The scripting errors? Doubt that's coming from Windows. Probably some older application.

(I'm working on setting up/testing a deployment for Windows 10/Office 2016 at my workplace as I write this - looking to deploy it corporate wide Q1 2017)

^The laptop is new and Windows 10 came with it. My old laptop upgraded Windows 10 and I did not have half of the problems I have with this Windows. I've read several forum's in regards to people having the same problems and others having none. I read Windows is supposed to be doing a big fix of these problems in October. Not sure if this is true or not but anything I have tried defaults back to other settings after I have signed on. Even thought I press Apply then O.K.
    I tried to get onto my old Office Program but got to the part where it asked for the Key# but I have to chase up that info as it's around somewhere.