Thread: Quality of Life

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Quality of Life

Hoot - Big E news keeps getting better and better.

Ahem: Does Edmonton have the highest quality of life in English speaking countries? According to Numbeo.com the answer is yes.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ing-countries/
    ... gobsmacked

One of the lowest cost of housing to income ratios of anyone on that list.
    I think it's a combination of decent house prices and high income.

Imagine how we would have scored 10 years ago with houses at half or a third of today's prices, great job situation, lower city and provincial government expenditures and debt... We'd have been right off the charts!

Actually, I guess we were, as usual.

Another liveability report... "Canada ...does seem in 2016 to have a distinct dearth, in relative terms, of angry, embittered, jaded, dissatisfied headbangers ..." However, it seems a lot of people want to import American politics, etc.

Now London has come 53rd in the global liveability report, it's time we accept Canada and Australia are doing everything better
    Grace Dent 19 September 2016

There’s something perverse about placing cities in a “liveability” list and then doling out winners and losers; nevertheless, the Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2016 Global Liveability Report makes for fascinating reading. Presumably the former residents of Damascus, currently sat in muddy slum conditions on the Macedonian borders, have already figured out that a life in the list’s winner Melbourne, Australia might be a lot lovelier than either staying put or “going home”. Likewise, no one in Tripoli is waking up this morning to the shock news that life is breezier in Vancouver. However, ..."

Canada is far from a wonderland, but it does seem in 2016 to have a distinct dearth, in relative terms, of angry, embittered, jaded, dissatisfied headbangers – and I count myself among them – who could start a fight in an empty room. Let’s all move to Canada. They’ve had it too good for far too long.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7316591.html
    Last edited by KC; 20-09-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Canada ranks No. 1 in global Quality of Life list
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/can...list-1.4265201
    Thanks to its prestige, economic stability and quality of life, Switzerland has emerged the leader on a new list that ranks the countries with the best reputations around the world. In other categories, Canada was deemed to have the best quality of life and the U.K. best for education.

In U.S. News and World Report's 2019 Best Countries Report, produced with the BAV Group and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, 20,300 respondents from 36 countries in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Asia and Africa were asked to score 80 countries based on 65 attributes.

The attributes were grouped under categories like adventure, citizenship, cultural influence, entrepreneurship, heritage, movers, open for business, power and quality of life.
    Rankings

Overall
    Switzerland
    Japan
    Canada
    Germany
    United Kingdom
    Sweden
    Australia
    United States
    Norway
    France

For Quality of Life

Canada
    Sweden
    Denmark

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

For Quality of Life

1. Canada
    2. Sweden
    3. Denmark

To Start a Business

1. Thailand
    2. India
    3. China

Most Powerful

1. United States
    2. Russia
    3. China

For Women

1. Sweden
    2. Denmark
    3. Canada

For Education

1. United Kingdom
    2. United States
    3. Canada

For Comfortable Retirement

1. New Zealand
    2. Switzerland
    3. Australia

We really need to be higher, in starting a business, it's very difficult, but well worth it.Very satisfactory.

Also retirement, we need to be higher.

Last edited by H.L.; 23-01-2019 at 01:07 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Did I hear that the City just made another magazine/newspaper list as a "recommended city" to visit?

i keep arguing all over the 'net with ignorant people mostly from places like Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary that think their cities are some kind of utopia because they have the mountains, ocean or great lakes at their doorstep and Edmonton sucks because we don't have these, but i keep reminding them that Edmonton's quality of life is OUTSTANDING whether we have these things or not.

We have a great river valley that has tons of recreational potential. I still can't believe there are people living in this city that don't take advantage of that, while looking at Vancouver or Calgary.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Not everyone is a bike nerd, Matt. Some people are ski or snowboard nerds.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

There's more to the river valley than biking.... including xc or downhill ski and snowboarding.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    For Quality of Life

1. Canada
    2. Sweden
    3. Denmark

To Start a Business

1. Thailand
    2. India
    3. China

Most Powerful

1. United States
    2. Russia
    3. China

For Women

1. Sweden
    2. Denmark
    3. Canada

For Education

1. United Kingdom
    2. United States
    3. Canada

For Comfortable Retirement

1. New Zealand
    2. Switzerland
    3. Australia

We really need to be higher, in starting a business, it's very difficult, but well worth it.Very satisfactory.

Also retirement, we need to be higher.

So if quality of life and retirement are separately ranked, are there comfortable early life and comfortable mid life categories?

Also in looking at which countries are in currently top ranked for starting a business, a high ranking may not be a positive indicator. In Entrepreneurship Canada is far above these top ranked countries.

https://media.beam.usnews.com/55/57/...kings-2019.pdf

Comfortable retirement applies to “upper class” only?

Best Countries for a Comfortable Retirement

These are the top countries that affluent people consider for where to live out their lives.

“The Best Countries for a Comfortable Retirement, based on scores from people 45 years or older who consider themselves “upper class,” are ranked on seven attributes: affordable, favorable tax environment, friendly, is a place I would live, pleasant climate, respects property rights and has a well-developed public health system. These are the top five.”

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...ble-retirement

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...erall-rankings

“The Best Countries to Start a Business ranking draws from the results of a global perceptions-based survey and ranks countries based on scores from nearly 6,000 business decision-makers in a compilation of five country attributes: affordable, bureaucratic, cheap manufacturing costs, connected to the rest of the world, and easy access to capital.“

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...art-a-business
    Last edited by KC; 03-09-2019 at 09:45 AM.

When I lived in Calgary, would ask folks if they ever went to the mountains.

Most said, " no, effing tourists ...."

Edmonton has no mountains, no ocean or great lake. But usually, the river valley or a ravine is but a short bike ride or even walk away.

Can't get that in the centre of the universe, or horse-killer stampede place. Vancouver, I give some dibs to. Not a lot, but some.

Funny thing about YVR - they have this fantastic kitchen shop and it's on East Hastings. Oh the irony ...
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    When I lived in Calgary, would ask folks if they ever went to the mountains.

Most said, " no, effing tourists ...."

Edmonton has no mountains, no ocean or great lake. But usually, the river valley or a ravine is but a short bike ride or even walk away.

Can't get that in the centre of the universe, or horse-killer stampede place. Vancouver, I give some dibs to. Not a lot, but some.

Funny thing about YVR - they have this fantastic kitchen shop and it's on East Hastings. Oh the irony ...
    There is a very long list of places I would call - "nice places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" and for me Vancouver is definitely one of them. They do have a beautiful seawall, but how many times can you walk or run it before it becomes a bit routine or boring? I also know I would find their rainy season (and pricey real estate) a bit too much to take.

I suppose same thing about the mountains, nice to visit from time to time, but who really goes there every weekend except for a few avid skiers or hikers? Most people have busy lives and can not take a trip out to Banff every weekend (which is kind of crowded with tourists and I find not as enjoyable as it used to be), even if it is a day trip and I think after a while I would probably get tired of it after a while.

Here in Edmonton there are some very nice river valley or ravine views, if you want to see a nice view on a regular basis.

We just got back from walking around SA, lots of parks, and lovely walk ways. I lived in Vancouver, it's a pretty city, but damn, it never stopped raining, pretty much like our [email protected] summer
    Animals are my passion.

C2E Continued Contributor

Not sure where SA is but the Trophy and the little one came back from Surrey from a soccer tourney.....they stayed in Richmond - said it was nice. But the tourney itself was in Surrey and said it was like a 3rd world ghetto.....in fact several of the parent's rental cars were broken into and obscenities were shouted from afar for being caucasian in a predominantly non-caucasian neighbourhood? Don't know, never been.....never going.......

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Not sure where SA is but the Trophy and the little one came back from Surrey from a soccer tourney.....they stayed in Richmond - said it was nice. But the tourney itself was in Surrey and said it was like a 3rd world ghetto.....in fact several of the parent's rental cars were broken into and obscenities were shouted from afar for being caucasian in a predominantly non-caucasian neighbourhood? Don't know, never been.....never going.......

St Alberta.

We were leased onto a company in Surrey . They had to move their location, because of damage to vehicles, and that was some time ago.
    Animals are my passion.

Curious about the demographic breakdown.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I'm hoping that ebikes become mainstream as they should make it very easy for anyone to bike in and out of the river valley. I'm very sure the river would have seen more people enjoying it if the valley wasn't so deep.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

the thing about Edmonton for me is that it's very comfortable to live here ! anything you want to do in a prairie city you can do here and it's not just the river valley, but shows/plays, movies, sports, dining, museums, a downtown that's getting more and more livable every day, sometimes we even get long, hot summers ('cept this year!) and sometimes even mild winters! we have most things every other major NA city has, except for mountains, an ocean or the great lakes, and it's more safe and clean than a lot of American cities i have been to! facts that seem lost on some who don't live here/never been here but have lots of comments about a city that they've only seen on places like YouTube !!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I'm hoping that ebikes become mainstream as they should make it very easy for anyone to bike in and out of the river valley. I'm very sure the river would have seen more people enjoying it if the valley wasn't so deep.
    flatlanders... thinks the valley is deep...

Agreed

The bike path steep sections are some of the best features. If you plan your adventure, you come up gradual slopes and tear down the steep ones.

ThomasH is waiting for his e-Walker to be delivered

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 05-09-2019 at 09:52 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Being a newly minted senior, I'm okay with pedaling out of the river valley for now. My wife is already finding it difficult though.

Guess I have to do a mea culpa on the glass elevator/funicular. When biking we find ourselves frequently using it to get out of the river valley rather than trying to pedal up Grierson Road for instance. Just wish the funicular was better connected to the downtown bike network.

Our income estimates may actually underestimate the economic well-being of Canadians relative to Americans. Indeed, Canadians usually receive more in-kind benefits from their governments, including notably in health care (as noted also by Wolfson and Murphy, 199. Had these benefits been included in the estimates, the median augmented household income in Canada would likely surpass the American median by a greater margin. While these benefits also come with higher taxes, the progressivity of the income tax system is such that the median household is most likely a net beneficiary

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...premium-canada

Concur in full. My double knee replacement neighbour just bought an ebike yesterday - life-changing. It will definitely be my next bike purchase.

Camped next to a couple young Danes this summer who said ebikes are frowned upon in Copenhagen - riders are considered lazy. My Dutch friends tell me that while ebikes are ubiquitous and beloved they're speed is becoming a real hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Concur in full. My double knee replacement neighbour just bought an ebike yesterday - life-changing. It will definitely be my next bike purchase.

Camped next to a couple young Danes this summer who said ebikes are frowned upon in Copenhagen - riders are considered lazy. My Dutch friends tell me that while ebikes are ubiquitous and beloved they're speed is becoming a real hazard.
    I have never tried one, it's nice to get around when the weather is like today.

I just need to be around a lot of trees, they are fabulous this time of year.
    Animals are my passion.