Thread: Lrt systems around the world

Default Lrt systems around the world

http://www.greenprophet.com/2012/12/casablanca-tramway/

It takes 60 minutes to travel from one end of Casablanca’s new tramway to the other and costs less than a dollar per trip, regardless of distance traveled.

With 48 stations linking all of the city’s major neighborhoods, as well as ONCF stations, business districts, hospitals, and the downtown area, the new tramway is expected to breathe new life into the city.

With service running between 6.30am and 10pm during the week and until 11.30pm on weekends, the tramway will also generate new jobs – both for those working directly for the transportation ministry and for residents who previously lacked access to far flung places.

Just one part of a broader government plan to attract investors and turn the city into a thriving, internationally-recognized metropolis, the second tramway system in Morocco, and the largest – given the long route and number of stations, is only the first of four planned for Casablanca.

This combined with an express road network and other planned infrastructural upgrades that are in the works will cost the Moroccan government a total of 45 billion dirhams or USD5.34 billion.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 20-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Our low floor should be about that size...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Full build out...

Toronto's new street cars, these are custom designed for Toronto's small gauge rail... Ours will be fatter

Huston!!

this video is soooooo bad! lol

C2E Super Addict

Edmonton - the Casablanca of the north!
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

lol

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Edmonton - the Casablanca of the north!
    Please, don't encourage him.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

im sorry but how many more lrt threads do we need here?

The idea of this thread is for edp to post all his tram findings instead of a thread for each city.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    The idea of this thread is for edp to post all his tram findings instead of a thread for each city.
    With that being said maybe we could merge all of them into here?

Pm the admin or report your post ...

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    With that being said maybe we could merge all of them into here?
    Honolulu is a tram? I posted an elevated system... and I just post as I find them zia my Zite.

I can't help if the majority of new systems being built or talked about are of the European tram variety.

O and I think it's good to leave the Canadian systems on their own threads... just my opinion.

Dallas orange line opened July 2012

The other Dart LRT line is one of the USA's most successful LRT systems.

What their system wide plans are.. including BRT and Heavy Rail.

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-12-2012 at 12:29 PM.

^ run in fear of the high floor LRT

Edinburgh Tram system to open Summer of 2014.

Full speed test of the train on one of the suburban sections of track.

Work is currently underway to construct a tramline which will connect the city centre to Edinburgh Airport, forming a important part of a new integrated transport network.
    Tram passenger services are due to begin in summer 2014, in line with the amended schedule agreed in September 2011. The project is progressing well in line with the revised budget of £776milion.

system map...

13 KM line 16 Stations avg is 800 M between stations Travel time is 20 min. Train Cars will be about half the size of ours and can hold apx 330 people. built by CAF

Third proposed route but not currently be working on...
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 24-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.

From Wiki RE Travel times and frequency...

Journey times and frequency

The tram is proposed to operate every 10 minutes, with a journey time claimed of "approximately 30 minutes from Haymarket to the airport", with service from 06:00 to midnight Monday to Saturday (07:00 start on Sunday).[109]
    Currently the Airlink bus services the Princes St–Airport route. Departures are every 10 minutes between 7am and 12:40 am. 24 hr service operates, departing at 15 and 30 minute intervals before and after this main period respectively. Journey times are 30 minutes from Waverley railway station (about 10 minutes east of Haymarket) to the airport.[110]

OOo side note I was talking to the LRT planners again. It looks like they will be using some rail arms and such (where appropriate) on our line in the industrial area so the LRt can see increased speed on the Millbourne - 73 Ave stretch

C2E SME

Which is fine by me. Personally I think that there should be rail arms in areas that may need it the most. Two particular areas should be before and after the Bonnie Doon station.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Calcutta's new Tram Cars...

It would be nice if you took the time you seek out other lrt systems around the world and actually study the history of ours. It seems you have a better understanding of other systems then you do ours...

C2E SME

^^Looking at those trams, I can't help but think that those models are a very poor choice considering the climate in Calcutta. I have never been there but I would guess that it's typically hotter there with lots more sunlight. If I could pick a train for that region of the world, I would rather pick something with less windows to help provide shade from the blazing sun.

Antalya Light Rail Transportation System Phase 1

Total Length: 11.7 Km

Total Cost: 120 Million Dollars

Contractor Firms: Alarko-CAF

Stations: 12 On-Ground, 2 Underground

Streetcars By CAF

Atlanta:

MARTA (Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority)

Quote:
    Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority or MARTA (pronounced /ˈmɑrtə/, like Marta) is the principal rapid-transit system in the Atlanta metropolitan area and the ninth-largest in the United States. Formed in 1971 as strictly a bus system, MARTA operates a network of bus routes linked to a rapid transit system consisting of 48 miles (77 km) of rail track with 38 train stations. MARTA operates almost exclusively in Fulton and DeKalb counties, with a single bus stop in Cobb county (Cumberland Transfer Center next to the Cumberland Mall), and a single rail station in Clayton County at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. MARTA also operates a separate paratransit service for disabled customers. As of 2009, the average total daily ridership for the system (bus and rail) was 482,500 passengers.
    image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caitelle/3219162122/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/negfoto/2275120367/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jekemp/2993164/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photohound/2697903926/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/negfoto/2247204535/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisinside/3562071291/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caitelle/4227014586/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caitell...7603926437737/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpkranger/4163076237/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4191885536/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themanw...is/3244750771/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/epsilon289/4677139731/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deanliao/3189892302/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deanliao/3189891390/

image hosted on flickr

BERGAMO | LRT

Galleria e fermata di Borgo Palazzo

Tornati a Bergamo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bergen | Light Rail

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

C2E SME

Great pictures of the different systems. Proof that many many things that lots of people here in Edmonton claim to not be possible, actually is possible.

CHANGCHUN | Light Rail Transit

Changchun Light Rail Transit (Changchun LRT) is a on-ground rail mass transit system in the city of Changchun, Jilin province, China. It is said to be the first light rail transit system on mainland China. The initial phase of Line 3 was completed in 2001, the 2nd phase was completed in 2007. Thus the construction of Line 3 has been totally finished. Line 4 opened in 2011. The current total length of the route is 51 km with 49 stations. The system will be added by three lines of conventional underground metro.

Changchun LRT map 2020

Opening

2020: Line 1 Beihuan Lu - Chechang
    2020: Line 2 Xihu - Dongfeng Square

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    ^^Looking at those trams, I can't help but think that those models are a very poor choice considering the climate in Calcutta. I have never been there but I would guess that it's typically hotter there with lots more sunlight. If I could pick a train for that region of the world, I would rather pick something with less windows to help provide shade from the blazing sun.
    There was another article about how the transits authority is so underfunded that they operating a line that isn't yet finished. The tracks have gaps and have not had some sort of finishing process done to them.. There are about 15 derailments a month....

Big windows are the least of their problem lol

Look at the old ones ...

CHARLOTTE | Public Transport
    The Lynx Light Rail Line in Charlotte comprises a 9.6-mile (15.45 km) light rail line serviced by the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) which commenced service on November 24, 2007. There are 15 stations in the system, which carries an average of over 21,000 passenger trips every day.[

Cologne

wiki

Near Heumarkt:

Sülz, Hermeskeiler Platz:

Weiden-West, view from S-Bahn station down to Stadtbahn station:

Denver

Current Light Rail Map

Current Facts

System size: 39mi
    Usage >
    Light Rail : 63,100
    Bus : 212,100
    Stations : 36

2025 Map

Planned Union Station Expansion

2020 Projections

System size >
    Light Rail : 77mi
    Commuter Rail : 82mi
    BRT : 18mi

Usage >
    Light Rail : 142,000
    Commuter Rail : 58,000
    BRT & Bus : 300,800

Stations

Light Rail : 56
    Commuter Rail : 21
    BRT : 7

Istanbul

Inside of Tram

Line 1 and Line 2 connections

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Of all these pictures, I find the Istanbul ones most fascinating. It seems they installed these trains everywhere they would go: dedicated lines, mixed in with general traffic, on roads so narrow they seem to have displaced the traffic and even (in the picture under the "Line 1 and Line 2 connections" caption) in what looks to be mini-traffic jam made just of train cars!

Eve

I like some of the systems Medwards posted... I am only posting systems as they come up in news stories from my zite. So that means that most are new builds. or extensions. I could post amazing photos of the Russian subway... It's deep under ground and the first line was finished in the 30's built under near forced labor conditions with dangerously low O2 levels and people digging with pic axes waste deep in water... People died to make that system,but it sure is pretty....

Is it doable today?! Likely only if your in China.

Los Angeles Subway/LRT Stations
    They might not have the biggest transit network (In terms of subway/light rail), but that which they do have isn't bad at all. They have very unique stations all designed by local artists. This is every single station for every line in LA.
    --Red Line Subway--

Union Station

Civic Center

Pershing Square

7th Street

Westlake/MacArthur Park

Wilshire/Vermont (Looks nothing like this anymore)

Wilshire/Normandie

Wilshire/Western

Vermont/Beverly

Vermont/Santa Monica

Vermont/Sunset

Hollywood/Western

Hollywood/Vine

Hollywood/Highland

Universal City

North Hollywood

==Blue Line LRT==

Anaheim

Artesia

Compton

Del Amo

5th Street

1st Street

Grand

Imperial/Willmington/Rosa Parks

103rd St./Kenneth Hahn

Pacific

Pacific Coast Highway

Pico

San Pedro

7th Street
    (See Red Line)

Slauson

Transit Mall

Vernon

Wardlow

Washington

((Green Line LRT))

Avalon

Avation

Crenshaw

Douglas/Rosecrans

El Sugundo/Nash

Harbor Freeway

Hawthorne

Rosa Parks (See Blue Line)

I-605/I-105

Lakewood

Long Beach

Marine/Redondo

Mariposa/Nash

Vermont

!!Gold Line Eastside Connection

Little Tokyo/Arts District

Pico Aliso

Mariachi Plaza

Soto

Maravilla

E. LA Civic Center

Atlantic

Map of Melbourne's tram system

a few pictures:

And Swanston Street, allegedly the busiest tram route in the world, crosses it, running north south:

One block- 10 chains- 200 metres- up the road is Collins Street, also heavily trafficed by trams. Various routes use different types of vehicles: you're more likely to see these "B" class trams here.

Before and after shots: the city is being equipped with raised platforms with shelters and electronic signage.

Most Collins Street services run to St. Vincent's Plaza: this is a double junction where some services terminate.

The Swanston street trams mostly terminate at Melbourne University:

The City Circle route uses heritage "W" class trams: travelling on this service is free.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Today's XKCD is pretty cool, as this is primarily subways the LRT systems don't seem to be on it (Edmonton, Calgary, Minneapolis, San Jose, San Diego, Scarborough RT ...)
    http://xkcd.com/1196/

they included morgantown???

Quite stark the difference in systems that have grade separation where appropriate and dedicated rights-of-way.

Stark!
    ... gobsmacked

Thanks for posting Athens. Going there next month,so I now an idea of signage etc.
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

they included morgantown???
    They included the Springfield Monorail as well.

I was thinking does Springfield Oregon have a monorail, then all of a sudden I realized and went DOH!

This site you can order a map of all the interconnected systems, not sure how the interconnections work, perhaps train or ferry in some areas.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rld-metro-map?

I never thought about the Death Star, but if you consider it, even Stormtroopers need to get from A to B and the Death Star is quite large.
    http://gizmodo.com/the-death-star-ha...t-s-1769764825

For years westerners were not allowed to see more than 2 stations in Pyongyang's subway system but under the Most Glorious Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un wisdom they are now able to see the whole thing. It is beautiful, and for a country where cars are pretty much impossible for the average person to buy it makes sense they have a reasonable system. Although a city of 2.5 million people does need more than 16 stations and 2 lines.
    http://www.earthnutshell.com/stoppin...ongyang-metro/

C2E Hard Core Contributor

All the people warily eyeing the westerner/camera on the escalator make those pictures very eerie and sad.

The stations are definitely beautiful, they appear to have followed the Russian example of extreme glamour for the "worker's chariot" like seen in Moscow stations. Just like in the Russian example, probably better spent on food production...