Thread: Best jack daniels???

Default Best jack daniels???

For some odd reason i really want to try jack daniels, i normaly dont drink but when i do, i drink only vodka. But what version of JD do you think is best for me to start with and why?

So i take it no one drinks here or what?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    i doubt that. it's probably more being asked about something that is somewhat personal when it comes to your palate and tastes...

you might want to browse here for some hints but remember palate isn't about "scores". you may well enjoy a "75" more than someone else enjoys an "85":

http://www.connosr.com/reviews/jack-daniels/

if you're old enough, you may want to spend an evening or three in a friendly bar sampling different versions and deciding for yourself which one to purchase.

personally, it's not my drink of choice but i would think good bourbons are probably like good scotch (which is) and there are no really bad ones, they just need to be matched with your mood and the setting, something that comes with experience and moderation...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Well maybe not Jack Daniels anyway. I'm not sure why US tastes run so high in the sugar content from say Budweiser to Jack Daniels but I can't stand the stuff. Not any Bourbon. I prefer any Canadian Rye over Bourbon.

Why not try a fine Cognac, Scotch, etc?

Jack Daniels is rough tasting foul stuff imo.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Crown Royal is the nectar of the Gods
    It's not EIA it's YEG

Quote Originally Posted by thegongshow View Post
    Crown Royal is the nectar of the Gods
    that is another one i will try but this is about JD

C2E Continued Contributor

Start with the regular kind. Why? Because.

Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcrude View Post
    Start with the regular kind. Why? Because.

Merry Christmas.
    What is the reguar kind? as there are many forms of it. unless your talking about the old No. 7

C2E Long Term Contributor

What many forms? I just see one kind of Jack Daniels in the liquor stores. It's not like buying Coke where you can get Diet Coke, decaf Coke, cherry Coke, Coke with pulp etc etc.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

you were saying......

Buy a mickey of each and just try it yourself over an evening or several. Taste and enjoyment are purely subjective.

C2E SME

The honey stuff is awful, in my opinion. Never had the others, just No. 7. Generally either with water and a squeeze of lime, or in a shooter. There's nothing all that great about Jack, but it's available everywhere and consistent.

Jim Beam in the original bourbon I think, perhaps that's worth considering? I used to like as a kid, with coke. Too sweet for me now (I prefer rye or malt neat), but everyone's taste is different.

Interestingly JD is not bourbon but rather a corn based whisky (per JD, although per wiki just marketing perhaps), not that I can tell much difference.
    Last edited by moahunter; 24-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think I drank some JD once in Grade 10 and that was enough to send me running in the other direction. Used to like some good rum though for many years. Now I just drink beer, except for when I go hiking in the mountains for a few days I'll bring some Vodka

The whole JD appeal seems to be based on how rough it tastes. That and its like drinking corn syrup. Your first reaction is spitting it out. Then gargling to get the horrible taste out. Its like "if you can drink this **** you must be tough"

But why would anybody by choice when theres so much better out there?

ps I can't imagine how awful the "honey" version would taste. This stuff must give a pile driver hangover what with all the sugar content.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-12-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Alright so someone please correct me if i have read this all wrong but some of you are saying its sweet and some are saying its very rough correct?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yes, I think that was the magic of JD.

Addicted to C2E

Single Barrel is actually quite nice. As with most things, you get what you pay for...

darkmagnoblade, Old No. 7 is what most people refer to when they talk about Jack Daniels. That's what I'd suggest if you're set on trying it. Get a mickey or one of those small sampler size bottles if you can find them.

I haven't had JD since high school. My tastes have moved on since then to liquor I actually enjoy, rather than booze I think has a cool image associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    darkmagnoblade, Old No. 7 is what most people refer to when they talk about Jack Daniels. That's what I'd suggest if you're set on trying it. Get a mickey or one of those small sampler size bottles if you can find them.

I haven't had JD since high school. My tastes have moved on since then to liquor I actually enjoy, rather than booze I think has a cool image associated with it.
    The nice thing about a blended whiskey is that you can water it down a bit or add some ice; it can do some really nice things to the flavour. And you can get some different combinations out of the same blend by adding or reducing the amount of water/ice you use, so it's fun to experiment to see what works for you.

I tend to agree with you and Replacement though - I think JD appeals to the younger crowd who are maybe a bit more concerned about drinking a well known brand and the "cool" factor of ordering a Jack and Coke than they are about the actual drink itself. That said, I've only tried the No. 7 so I'm not exactly an expert. I was recently given a bottle of Crown Royal Black, and it was delicious with a couple of ice cubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post

The nice thing about a blended whiskey is that you can water it down a bit or add some ice; it can do some really nice things to the flavour. And you can get some different combinations out of the same blend by adding or reducing the amount of water/ice you use, so it's fun to experiment to see what works for you.

I tend to agree with you and Replacement though - I think JD appeals to the younger crowd who are maybe a bit more concerned about drinking a well known brand and the "cool" factor of ordering a Jack and Coke than they are about the actual drink itself. That said, I've only tried the No. 7 so I'm not exactly an expert. I was recently given a bottle of Crown Royal Black, and it was delicious with a couple of ice cubes.
    I haven't had Gentleman Jack or Single Barrel, so I couldn't say what they're like, but JD had a certain cachet when I was younger. Nowadays it's Speyside scotches and bourbon. Out of curiosity, I bought a bottle of White Owl rye over the holidays and it's pleasant to drink. Smells like vodka, but tastes like a light rye with a hint of butterscotch, of all things. Very smooth and mixes well.

My other poison is high-end tequila. I had no idea how wonderfully complex it could be until I went to a tasting of the good stuff a few years ago.

I would in all seriousness suggest the best 'Jack Daniels' is Jim Beam. To its credit, JD is much better than that vileness known as Wild Turkey.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

There is no difference between JB and JD. No more than a difference between Absolute and Schmirnoff. Bourbon and Kentuky/Tennesee whiskeys are the same product. Maker's Mark seems to be the standard "good" bourbon.
    The Gentleman Jack and Barrel Select dont come in mickeys, (at least I have never seen Gentleman in a mickey and I know Barrel doesn't.)

Dusty, it is not a surprise that White Owl would have butterscotch notes, a caramel flavour is one of the base notes for Rye whiskey.

Some of the bourbon companies have started making small batch ryes, but they are hard to get here. Sherebrooke has one, but I havnt tried it yet.

^ Well, I'm not much of a bourbon drinker, but JB seems more palatable to me...tastes will of course differ.
    Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...

Alright thank you all for your input on this. Now is there any kind of glass i should be drinking this from at all, as i would think drinking it from the same glass as i drink my water wouldnt do or what do you guys think?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Alright thank you all for your input on this. Now is there any kind of glass i should be drinking this from at all, as i would think drinking it from the same glass as i drink my water wouldnt do or what do you guys think?
    unless you drink your water from a plastic glass or paper cup, it probably won't make any real difference... if you want some nice highball glasses or shot glasses as part of the "experience", have at it for what it feels like in your hand or what it looks like for you and your guests but your bourbon won't really taste any different. the only thing you might want to allow for is whether or not you want your drink neat or over ice or - shudder - with a mixer. you can drink neat from any glass but it's hard to put an ice cube in a shot glass.
    Last edited by kcantor; 03-01-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Does Jack Daniels taste better if it has a little parasol in the glass?.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Does Jack Daniels taste better if it has a little parasol in the glass?.
    Is there really need for you to be a dick? i was asking the question as there are glasses out there for whiskey and other liquors. So if you dont want to give an answer dont bother replying.