Thread: London Tram Sustem

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

The system is 28km long with 39 stations.. The systems daily ridership is over 70,000 and this is done with vehicles apx 30 m in length that hold 200 people. The new ones were made by stadler rail.. The picture below and the cars that opened the line were made by bombardier in 2000 flexityswift is the model name. The green route takes about 45 min from end to end.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 27-12-2012 at 11:01 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 27-12-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    The system is 28km long with 39 stations.. The systems daily ridership is over 70,000 and this is done with vehicles apx 30 m in length that hold 200 people.
    That is an interesting comparable, the entire SE to Lewis Estates line is about the same lengh, and projected to have a ridership of 100,000.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...March_2012.pdf

Easily acheivable when you consider the build design (dedicated ROW, larger stations, parknrides, 5 minute wait times) is significantly more. Hope we aren't overbuilding the new line (esp when consider we need LRT to other parts of city as well).
    Last edited by moahunter; 28-12-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Sorry what? We are comparing 3 different lines to one line? London is also supported by commuter rail, high speed rail, subways and more.

I hope we aren't underbuilding the SE to WLRT.

^ yes we will have much more capacity and frequency than london... 7-8 min is their peak. Edmonton will be hard pressed to find LRVs that can hold 700.. I am starting to get the feeling it will be more like 650.. but most low floor systems I find tend to have smaller trains that fit 200-300 people and have ridership levels a bit over 100,000 a day... double the capacity of the LRV's and you can move a lot of people.

In a email exchange with Mayor Mandel, and the transportation department, I have it on good authority that they are sourcing LRVs for 200-225 passengers per.

Our current LRT has ridership in the 100 k mark, but requires 4-5 car consists that run every 5 minutes at rush hour. Those 4-5 car consists each have a car that holds between 250-300 people.
    Not sure how you hope to achieve the same thing with less cars, and the same frequency. Even the mayor doesn't know, we are both now waiting for a response from the transportation department.

(I'll bring the email forward once I have my replies and am satisfied with the findings.)

(does one need to point out that they have 6 legs (3lines) on the same piece of track? I was told by EDP that this was impossible here. Another "Edmonton can't"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Oh mu. For the life of my, I can't understand what all these sustems in other cities have to do with Edmonton.

I mean, Goteburg has lovelu trams, mauby we should get some of those too ...

http://www.tramways.com/tramways/got...gs1/index.html
    ... gobsmacked

Those other sustems all have density around it that Edmonton only dreams it could achieve. But Trams! That will make us european! Trams that go everywhere. Burbs, urban areas. Doesn't matter. One size fits all!

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Oh mu. For the life of my, I can't understand what all these sustems in other cities have to do with Edmonton.

I mean, Goteburg has lovelu trams, mauby we should get some of those too ...

http://www.tramways.com/tramways/got...gs1/index.html
    Knowledge is not acquired in a vacuum or echo chamber. One needs to look at others successes.. or if you view life like Sam Walton did.. know what your competition is doing.

Another is to show that what Edmonton is proposing is possible and is expanding across the world.

Part is just fun...

I might add that someone felt it was important enough to make a sub forum on the topic and it was not at my request.

^ it was my request/suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Not sure how you hope to achieve the same thing with less cars, and the same frequency. Even the mayor doesn't know, we are both now waiting for a response from the transportation department.

(I'll bring the email forward once I have my replies and am satisfied with the findings.)
    Calgary is acheiving ridership of 110k on its South line which connects at grade downtown, with 3 car trains and average off peak headways of 5 minutes (coud go as low as 2 minutes if needed), average speed of only 35km/hr (yet people still ride it). Funny how it is easily acheivable in Calgary, but impossible in Medwards land...

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/t...formation.html

In medwards land, trains pick up people at every stop and don't pass though inner city stations completely full, causing people to have to wait for several trains before boarding.
    In Calgary, they are soon to be using 4 car consists because of over crowding.

What's Edmonton going to do ??? We have no way to go beyond the 2 car stations??

Back to moahunter world of fiction and useless babbling.