Thread: Edmonton Queen

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Thumbs down Edmonton Queen

I visited Winnipeg last week and inquired as whether the 2 paddle wheel boats and one cruise ship they have will sail this summer. Yes I was told. And so I looked further to find they have several choices of cruises. All are 3 hours long for under $20 for adults and $10 for kids.Since I enjoy ships, I thought a cruise on the Edmonton Queen was in order this year. To my surprise, they have only one hour runs at the same price as a 3 hour on Winnipeg's ships.The fares are very high for a dinner cruise for only an hour at just under 60 bucks a head. I can see why this "attraction" does not garner much attention nor interest. My question is the same as I will ask of the Queen's operators. Why only an hour and so expensive?
    Compare them if you wish.
    http://www.paddlewheelcruises.com
    http://msrouge.com
    http://www.edmontonqueen.com/index.php?area_id=1001
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I know the queen is limited to where it can travel to due to bridges and certain sandbars, so the length of time is explained in that... but as for cost? Another Edmonton Advantage!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yes, and Ghod forbid the city or province put a weir on the river to make it navigable.

Why the high, mighty and righteous editorial board of the Edmonton Urinal would be outraged!

Outraged!
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Long Term Contributor

Time to build that canal in Rossdale.
    As for the Edmonton Queen...it's 1 boat without any competition vs Winnipeg's 3 competing boats, yes?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Canal costly and unnecessary. Improve what we have, don't try to reinvent.

We enjoyed our hour long cruise 2 yrs ago. Ended up on the boat for closer to 2 overall and had a few pops on the upper deck.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Time to build that canal in Rossdale.
    As for the Edmonton Queen...it's 1 boat without any competition vs Winnipeg's 3 competing boats, yes?
    The 3 in the peg are the Queen, Princess and Rouge.

The first 2 are owned by the same operator while the Rouge is separate. in essence 2 operators of 3 vessels.

If the river levels were held to a consistent height, the boat would be able to travel further up or downstream. As for a canal, I don't see the necessity although it would be very unique to say the least.
    Last edited by cnr67; 02-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I know the queen is limited to where it can travel to due to bridges and certain sandbars, so the length of time is explained in that... but as for cost? Another Edmonton Advantage!
    Can a larger flow of water from the Brazeau Dam not raise the water level to permit better navigation? Sandbars can be dredged can they not? As for the bridges, why would a ship be commissioned that couldn't navigate under the structures with the area it ply's? The Queen in Winnipeg has had several alterations over the past 4 decades that allow it to pass under all the structures and still charge a paltry $20 bucks a head. The boat is a great idea. Just not planned nor designed properly for this river.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Yes, and Ghod forbid the city or province put a weir on the river to make it navigable.

Why the high, mighty and righteous editorial board of the Edmonton Urinal would be outraged!

Outraged!
    Both Calgary and little Saskatoon have weirs.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Their River area is almost a Lake like atmosphere. On hot days Saskatoonians head to the River too catch some rays.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post

Outraged!
    Both Calgary and little Saskatoon have weirs.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Can a larger flow of water from the Brazeau Dam not raise the water level to permit better navigation? Sandbars can be dredged can they not?
    The Brazeau and the Bighorn dams both control some of the flow. Sustained releases would have to be monitored extremely costly and would require monitoring rainfalls throughout the NS basin. But the makeup of the river valleys is not conducive to weirs and dredging. The sand, gravel and silt build up quickly. I have spent over 30 years on the river in the summers and have always needed to relearn the pattern every spring and after major flow events. And I can safely say that the flow patterns can change daily. Dredging may give you a year or 2 but the cost of yearly dredging would not be economical. Also you would probably destroy a great many fish habitats in the process. A weir would silt up quickly as well. Next year head down to one of the boat launches after the high water and look at the silt build up, it can get up to a meter thick.

Would I like to have a constant river level, YES! But the costs would be too great. River boats used to be quite common on our river, there were no dams upstream at the time, but they ran aground quite often. The old Klondike Queen was the last Commercial paddlewheel boat before the EQ. It ran aground at Big Island.

I have been on the Red, South Sask and Bow. The SS and Red are big slow rivers very different from ours, The SS also has sand bar problems.
    Last edited by BalancedOP; 03-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Would a hovercraft be too noisy and expensive to operate on the river? I could see running one of those if you wanted a longer trip; you could maybe go all the way to Fort Saskatchewan or Devon on a cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Would a hovercraft be too noisy and expensive to operate on the river? I could see running one of those if you wanted a longer trip; you could maybe go all the way to Fort Saskatchewan or Devon on a cruise.
    That's a cool idea actually providing the nimby's stay quiet.

If a hovercraft is too expensive and/or noisy, I wonder if an amphibious hybrid tour bus/boat would work here, like the Harbour Hopper in Halifax. Imagine motoring through a downtown tour, taking cruise down to Fort Edmonton and/or the Valley Zoo, then coming back down river for a rolling tour of White Ave

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    If a hovercraft is too expensive and/or noisy, I wonder if an amphibious hybrid tour bus/boat would work here, like the Harbour Hopper in Halifax. Imagine motoring through a downtown tour, taking cruise down to Fort Edmonton and/or the Valley Zoo, then coming back down river for a rolling tour of White Ave
    That would take an envisionary. Something lacking in this city. A good idea though.

Addicted to C2E

While these landing craft type amphibious vehicles look like fun , there has been several tragic accidents in the past with this type of tourist craft . I would not want my family on one at all.

I think that my choice for a water attraction in the city would be a modern day version of John Walters current powered cable ferry ( this time passenger only) crossing from some future development at the power plant accross to the Kinsmen centre area. This would have the advantage of being Green , have some historical context and be a unique attraction to the river valley trail system.

It would certainly be cheap to run and would function well in our river.

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    While these landing craft type amphibious vehicles look like fun , there has been several tragic accidents in the past with this type of tourist craft . I would not want my family on one at all.
    The majority of incidents seem to have been with either unregulated or poorly regulated/inspected craft. I would hope that any amphibious tour vehicle used within the city would be carefully inspected and regulated, given we only have one other tourist craft to worry about

Addicted to C2E

The inspection of the Edmonton Queen is under Transport Canada Marine Safety and due to the size and number of passengers is quite strict . Requiring hull and machinery and emergency equipment inspection , crew licensing and inspected performance of emergency drills.

The inspection of small water craft is considerably less rigorous and a motor vehicle inspection does not cut it as far as safety on the water goes.

I think that this type of craft would be poorly regulated in comparison to the "Queen" and maintain high a level of risk.

How about a simple water taxi running between a few spots (including perhaps Fort Edmonton Park?), say $5 per trip (or less)? Wouldn't have to be as fancy as this one, and could be smaller:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=water+...,r:2,s:0,i:128

^I like that idea. But I don't know if there are enough areas at this point beside the river with the critical mass to make it feasible? Maybe it would draw more people in. It would, however, blow away our existing water taxi technology:

http://photos.edmonton.ca/Attraction...4QSK2&lb=1&s=A
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    How about a simple water taxi running between a few spots (including perhaps Fort Edmonton Park?), say $5 per trip (or less)? Wouldn't have to be as fancy as this one, and could be smaller:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=water+...,r:2,s:0,i:128
    http://www.splashdash.ca/riverspirit.htm

It has been as hit for some time in Winnipeg as well.

I like the water taxi idea! How about these stops:
    - Rundle Park
    - Capilano Bridge
    - Dawson Bridge/Riverdale
    - Cloverdale
    - Louise McKinney Park near the Shaw Conference Centre
    - Kinsmen/Rossdale
    - Government House
    - Hawrelak Park
    - Valley Zoo
    - Fort Edmonton Park
    - silver balls at Quesnel Bridge
    - Terwillegar Park
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I like the water taxi idea! How about these stops:
    - Rundle Park
    - Capilano Bridge
    - Dawson Bridge/Riverdale
    - Cloverdale
    - Louise McKinney Park near the Shaw Conference Centre
    - Kinsmen/Rossdale
    - Government House
    - Hawrelak Park
    - Valley Zoo
    - Fort Edmonton Park
    - silver balls at Quesnel Bridge
    - Terwillegar Park
    The challenge here as opposed to the peg is the our river has a very strong current compared to the Red and Assiniboine rivers. Still, we are a river city and the list here is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    ... the makeup of the river valleys is not conducive to weirs and dredging. The sand, gravel and silt build up quickly. I have spent over 30 years on the river in the summers and have always needed to relearn the pattern every spring and after major flow events. And I can safely say that the flow patterns can change daily. Dredging may give you a year or 2 but the cost of yearly dredging would not be economical. Also you would probably destroy a great many fish habitats in the process. A weir would silt up quickly as well. Next year head down to one of the boat launches after the high water and look at the silt build up, it can get up to a meter thick.
    What about only operating a weir for part of the year (maybe July to October), allowing the river to cut a channel naturally instead of having to dredge?

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    Would I like to have a constant river level, YES! But the costs would be too great. River boats used to be quite common on our river, there were no dams upstream at the time, but they ran aground quite often. The old Klondike Queen was the last Commercial paddlewheel boat before the EQ. It ran aground at Big Island.

I have been on the Red, South Sask and Bow. The SS and Red are big slow rivers very different from ours, The SS also has sand bar problems.
    I've always thought of the NSR as "big and slow", at least compared to the Bow in Calgary and most rivers in BC. It suppose it is kind of intermediate - not fast enough to have scoured all of the silt from it's valley millenia ago, but fast enough suspend a lot of silt during high flow periods.

Has the Edmonton Queen cut back their operations?

I could have sworn that they used to sail several times every day.
    But now it's down to just 2-3 sailings on just 4 days a week.

C2E Continued Contributor

Has the Edmonton Queen cut back their operations?

I could have sworn that they used to sail several times every day.
    But now it's down to just 2-3 sailings on just 4 days a week.

I think that's the same schedule as last year (I seem to remember that Thursday sailings were late June through August only). As you can board an hour before departure time there's not much room for additional sailings.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

I heard that some douche nozzle vandalized the boat sometime a couple of days ago.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

We went on a cruise on Saturday and didn't notice any, was a great view of the city

Was there Saturday, there was a cracked window but other than that it was fine.

Hope floats: Edmonton Queen owner determined to cruise the river this summer
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ueen-1.4658957

The owner of the Edmonton Queen is confident the vessel will set sail down the North Saskatchewan River this summer after years of remaining moored at Rafter's Landing.

Jay Esterer bought the riverboat two years ago and said Thursday that the riverboat has received regulatory approval to sail. Esterer spent last summer renovating the interior — installing new flooring, fixtures, furniture and a new bar. He overhauled the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

All the while, he was waiting for a development permit from the city to open the dining area and have a floating restaurant.

In order to sail last year, the 25-year-old vessel needed an inspection by Transport Canada. Esterer said that would have required a costly move to dry ground. CBC News has not yet confirmed the boat has cleared that hurdle.

Esterer is banking on water levels being high enough to travel up the North Saskatchewan and back to dock at Rafter's Landing. Low water levels have prevented the vessel from sailing in the past.

Esterer says he's looking for a captain, a first mate and a riverboat engineer. "The Prairies aren't exactly teeming with
    these professions," he noted in a press release. "But I'm confident we'll be on the water soon."

I hope so, he was so tied up with stupid red city tape, he couldn't use her last year..

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I hope so, he was so tied up with stupid red city tape, he couldn't use her last year..
    City or federal?

So, has he gotten the required inspection? Has he pulled it out of the water or does he think that he shouldn't have to follow the regulations?

In order to sail last year, the 25-year-old vessel needed an inspection by Transport Canada. Esterer said that would have required a costly move to dry ground. CBC News has not yet confirmed the boat has cleared that hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    City or federal?
    City. He was interviewed last year...

Seems like the Queen was on the move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeJbwvhzFoY

From the Edmonton Queeen website:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.edmontonqueen.ca
    Edmonton’s iconic riverboat is almost ready–we have permits to operate! We are busy staffing and working out our schedule, so stay tuned to this page or sign up to our newsletter to stay in the loop.

Now hiring experienced marine personnel, specifically Master / Captain / Chief Mate (500GT certifications required), and Chief Engineer (SVMO-R certificate) and MED B certified Deckhands. For more information, check out our Edmonton Queen Marine jobs. You can also email us at [email protected]

For anything important we can be reached at [email protected].

We’re not quite ready for general inquiries about bookings but you will see everything announced on the Edmonton Queen Riverboat Bookings and Reservations page.

After renovation, name change, Edmonton Riverboat to sail North Sask. River

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/after-re...iver-1.3975348

For the first time in more than three years, the riverboat formerly known as the Edmonton Queen is set to take to the North Saskatchewan River.

Now dubbed the Edmonton Riverboat, the renovated 25-year-old craft will be open to public river cruises starting next weekend.

The riverboat was purchased by its current owner in 2016 for $553,000.

Since he bought it, owner Jay Esterer has given the riverboat a facelift, with major renovations and upgrades throughout the boat.

This year, with a new name and a new crew, she is ready to sail.

“Finding a crew for a ship in Edmonton is difficult, because there are not a lot of ships in Edmonton,” Esterer said. “[It’s] very easy to get this boat stuck, the boat is a little bit too big for this river.”

A tour of the river, between the Walterdale Bridge and the Dawson Bridge lasts about an hour.

Details on riverboat sailings can be found online.

Great to see and cannot wait to take another cruise.
    www.decl.org

I have the Walterdale bridge north live cam sorta-streaming on a spare laptop and usually don't notice much, but earlier tonight -something- caught my eye and it was a big something: The Edmonton Queen working its way back downstream under the bridge. I never knew it could go so far upstream in the first place.

Neato!
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

and there it is again... paddling upstream to about south of the Royal Glenora and the back downstream

Pretty sad Wikipedia article on it. Doesn’t even mention the original guy that built it.

Edmonton Riverboat - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Riverboat

Some history here:

May 4, 1995: Edmonton Queen finally launched | Edmonton Journal

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...nally-launched

Meet the new king of the Edmonton Queen | CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ueen-1.3666999
    Last edited by KC; 15-06-2018 at 09:44 PM.

From about 15 minutes ago:

Sailing starting tomorrow!

Cruise plus a BBQ on:

Wednesday at 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Thursday at 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Friday at 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Saturday at 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Sunday at 11:00 AM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, 8:00 PM

BBQ Boat Cruise Menu
    • Grilled beef or salmon burgers; (Mac & cheese for kids)
    • Classic Caesar plus salad assortment

Tickets are $39 for guests 12 years and over.
    Kids 6-12 are $24
    Children under 6 years old are free.

If you don't want a BBQ, we are offering cruises on:
    Wednesday at 8:00 PM
    Thursday at 8:00 PM
    Friday at 8:00 PM
    Saturday at 2:00 PM, 8:00 PM
    Sunday at 2:00 PM, 8:00 PM

$25 adults, $15 children, 6 and under free

Canada Day!

We will be celebrating Canada's Birthday with Juno award-winning Nuela Charles and Nature Of on the tranquil waters of the North Saskatchewan River for a sunset cruise. We will anchor down by the Walterdale bridge for the best seat in the city to watch the fireworks!

Boarding is at 8:00pm

Ticket includes a Prime Rib buffet style dinner with delicious sides and fresh salads.

We will be leaving the dock at 9:30, don't be late!

We will also be announcing details for a 5 PM cruise

Tickets can be purchased here.

This is a 18+ event**

Check out our events page for more information. See you soon!

About 30,000 people took a ride on the Edmonton Riverboat in its return summer season

p.s. think we can remove the thumbs down emoji from the thread topic now, please?

Great to see and hopefully we can grow this attraction.
    www.decl.org

One way to grow it, substantially, would be to stop having higher priced fares. 20bucks? just to ride a little loop and get back to the same spot. lmao. A ferry Ride from Horsehoe Bay to Nanaimo cost 12 walk on. That's for a 90minute beautiful trip. A ride from DT Van to Lonsdale cost a transit fare. Aquabuses cost around 5 bucks.

Edmonton Queen goes essentially nowhere, just slightly up and down river and they figure it should cost more?

Its no wonder hardly any Edmontonians (including me) have been on it since it was finished. I did get looks at it when it was being built.

Nice that its still here but not on my bucket list without a promotion.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    One way to grow it, substantially, would be to stop having higher priced fares. 20bucks? just to ride a little loop and get back to the same spot. lmao. A ferry Ride from Horsehoe Bay to Nanaimo cost 12 walk on. That's for a 90minute beautiful trip. A ride from DT Van to Lonsdale cost a transit fare. Aquabuses cost around 5 bucks.

Edmonton Queen goes essentially nowhere, just slightly up and down river and they figure it should cost more?

Its no wonder hardly any Edmontonians (including me) have been on it since it was finished. I did get looks at it when it was being built.

none of those cheap comparables you’re making are really comparables though are they? that ferry ride from horseshoe bay is heavily subsidized by the province. that ferry ride from lonsdale quay is heavily subsidized by the local transit system as are the aquabuses (which also because of their tiny size have a very different operating cost structure). the edmonton riverboat (no longer queen?) is a private sector non-subsidized venture that pays taxes and fees to three levels of government. fair enough if you don’t want to pay or can’t afford the 20 bucks but that doesn’t mean someone else should be paying for you to ride on it for less.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Moreover we’re lucky to have it here. People should be jumping at the chance to get on it and see this city from a new perspective. It’s a premium opportunity.

Maybe they should double the price, upgrade the service, limit the opportunity. It’s almost a guaranteed that everyone will then line up for the chance to do it. There’s nothing like raising prices to increase appreciation, increase desirability, increase exclusivity, increase positive reviews and increase profits.

Years ago we had a set of dinning room furniture that we put up for sale to get rid of it fast. Can’t recall the details but the price was a real deal. Got zero interest. So we raised the price way up (more like half of replacement value) and suddenly people were calling. We then knocked $500 or $1,000 off in negotiations and still came out a lot better off.

Just like real estate the stock market etc. People don’t use intrinsic value to guide them, they use prices (or price action) as their guide. Similarly a listing or anything that sits without buyer interest isn’t seen as a potential undiscovered treasure, it’s seen as problematic because, well, obviously other people don’t want it so why would I? (Think of the old joke about a child asking his economist father if he can pick up the ten dollar bill laying on the sidewalk. The economist replies that: “son, if it were real, someone would have picked it up already”.)
    Last edited by KC; 18-09-2018 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

none of those cheap comparables you’re making are really comparables though are they? that ferry ride from horseshoe bay is heavily subsidized by the province. that ferry ride from lonsdale quay is heavily subsidized by the local transit system as are the aquabuses (which also because of their tiny size have a very different operating cost structure). the edmonton riverboat (no longer queen?) is a private sector non-subsidized venture that pays taxes and fees to three levels of government. fair enough if you don’t want to pay or can’t afford the 20 bucks but that doesn’t mean someone else should be paying for you to ride on it for less.
    The Aquabus in Vancouver, Victoria cost 5-6 busses and are private ventures afairc. They go farther as well for that price. That was one of the comparables I made so I guess you didn't pay attention to that one.

I knew somebody would mention the subsidy. Fact is they are there and infinitely more enjoyable than the Edmonton Queen short saunter down the river. Point is it doesn't really matter fiscally what they charge. With their capacity if they priced this differently maybe ridership would increase. I've seen pictures of this bucket and in person where it looked like not even 40 people were on board instead of a 100 or 200.

But the trouble as always with this boat is how restricted it is in itinerary and can't go far at all. This is a rare year where the voyages (lol) go a bit farther to HLB. This trip is like the sad little pony ride at a fair where a kid goes around in a short loop and before you know it the ride is over.

The reality is the Edmonton Queen is, and always was very poorly suited for our river conditions. We have a strong current river with lots of sandbars and low points. A different kind of watercraft might have more success here. One that could actually go to different destinations, let people off/on and operate as water transportation like most such conveyances do. This is the big bucket that goes nowhere. About as pointless as the deposed Sub ride at WEM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

please reread my post and the comments on the aquabuses...

the aquabuses - as noted - are (a) at a completely different size and scale physically and in terms of what is required to operate them and (b) all of the docks and piers and other supporting infrastructure they use is publicly funded.

^

the aquabuses - as noted - are (a) at a completely different size and scale physically and in terms of what is required to operate them and (b) all of the docks and piers and other supporting infrastructure they use is publicly funded.
    Not sure if you edited the post.

One of the points being are that Aquabuses are an example of a better, and more flexible mode and that can actually go somewhere. Not sure what depth they require off hand but the Edmonton Queen is so overkill. Would actually prefer someone just starting a jetboat conveyance and the city building out a few docks and more launching pts which they are doing anyway, and none of which the Edmonton Queen are suited for.

The Queen has always been the wrong vessel for this river. Which is why its never worked.

I suspect eventually it will end up in some other far flung body of water if anybody wants it and can manage to transport it there.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-09-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

One of the points being are that Aquabuses are an example of a better, and more flexible mode and that can actually go somewhere. Not sure what depth they require off hand but the Edmonton Queen is so overkill. Would actually prefer someone just starting a jetboat conveyance and the city building out a few docks and more launching pts which they are doing anyway, and none of which the Edmonton Queen are suited for.

The Queen has always been the wrong vessel for this river. Which is why its never worked.

I suspect eventually it will end up in some other body of water if anybody wants it.
    rest assured i did not "edit my post". (which, like this one now does, would actually show in the post from that point on if i had)

the edmonton riverboat and the aquabuses are completely different vehicles serving completely different purposes.

if you're not sure what i mean in that regard, perhaps you should try and arrange a wedding reception for 200 people with a sit down dinner on the aquabuses.

we get it, the edmonton riverboat is not the right "conveyance" for you (although you admit it could be if it just wasn't so expensive???) but it's more than a conveyance and what's not right for you isn't necessarily not right for "this river".
    Last edited by kcantor; 18-09-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added note in parentheses to show what an edited post looks like :)

I think $20 is a reasonable price. We were wanting to take the inlaws on one of those dinner cruises, but our schedules didn't permit this summer. I know the dinner cruises are more.

It's $10 to take the streetcar across the bridge and nobody bats an eye at that.

^

I suspect eventually it will end up in some other body of water if anybody wants it.
    rest assured i did not "edit my post". (which, like this one now does, would actually show in the post from that point on if i had)

the edmonton riverboat and the aquabuses are completely different vehicles serving completely different purposes.

if you're not sure what i mean in that regard, perhaps you should try and arrange a wedding reception for 200 people with a sit down dinner on the aquabuses.

we get it, the edmonton riverboat is not the right "conveyance" for you (although you admit it could be if it just wasn't so expensive???) but it's more than a conveyance and what's not right for you isn't necessarily not right for "this river".
    30,000 people thought it was for them this year. That is a pretty good endorsement that it is the right vessel for some of the people some of the time on this river.
    I was one of them and thoroughly enjoyed our 90min (I think) jaunt up and down along with a couple hundred others.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I think $20 is a reasonable price. We were wanting to take the inlaws on one of those dinner cruises, but our schedules didn't permit this summer. I know the dinner cruises are more.

It's $10 to take the streetcar across the bridge and nobody bats an eye at that.
    The streetcar is 6bucks. When was it ever 10?

Plus that is for two trips, a round trip, with a conveyance that actually takes people somewhere and drops them off somewhere else.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    ^

30,000 people thought it was for them this year. That is a pretty good endorsement that it is the right vessel for some of the people some of the time on this river.
    I was one of them and thoroughly enjoyed our 90min (I think) jaunt up and down along with a couple hundred others.
    Keeping in mind again that this year the old boat goes farther than it usually does due to the river being unusually high all summer.

In anycase I can't really see it being much of an attraction. This year more than a novelty if anything as the thing hadn't been in operation for years.

I'll give it a shot, its still open and see what we think.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.

A roller coaster costs often more and the trip is often less than 90 seconds and you get off where you started.

So what is your point?

If you don't want to take the Edmonton Queen....

don't...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Dinner cruises, murder mystery nights, lunch specials, event rentals, champagne & charcuterie date night cruises, etc.

This isn't a conveyance, it's a destination, venue, and event. That's the difference.

Hey, a BBQ and a 3 hour cruise for $39 is a good deal.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

So tell us Replacement, what were they serving on the High Level Streetcar?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

replacement seems to be stuck in a bygone era... like the 90s when you could expect a river cruise for 10 dollars.

The riverboat isn't a transportation service. It in itself is the destination, not the method to get somewhere. You are already there. Enjoy the river and the downtown vistas.

It's called, "what the market will bear ....."

Edmonton, with but one boat, will naturally have higher prices than Winnipeg with three.

Besides, as mentioned above, it's a destination experience, not a river bus.
    ... gobsmacked

This is the 3 hour cruise that he wants for $10

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Never saw that deal. I was just on their site the other day (and its not a very helpful site) looking for options and didn't see anything like that. More like 59bucks.

Being celiac though I have to be selective what and where I eat so them having food options is really zero bonus to me.

I would have an entirely different view of the Queen if it actually went much of anywhere.

Strikes me as strange that 100 years ago Edmonton had boats that took people up to Big Island or all the way east to Victoria Crossing, both of which would be interesting journeys, but now we got this boat which goes a very short trip down the river depending on conditions. It would be interesting if it went anywhere that wasn't commonly seen.

It sure doesn't seem like progress to me, or any incredible resource that our current big boat is far less capable of navigation on the river than any big boat designed 100 years ago or even 200 years ago on the North Saskatchewan. Its kind of sad that any of our forefathers got to go on NS voyages that were far more interesting than what is available with the Edmonton Queen. I'd prefer a longboat ride on the river.
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 08:50 AM.

This is the 3 hour cruise that he wants for $10

Being stuck on a tropical Island with Ginger and Maryanne and only the professor to compete with is an underrated experience imho. To the point I might rue the day I was "rescued"..

100 years ago there weren't dams blocking the high water flows. It has nothing to do with the boat, and everything to do with the water level.

You're complaining for the sake of complaining again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    100 years ago there weren't dams blocking the high water flows. It has nothing to do with the boat, and everything to do with the water level.

So you're trying to suggest that no boats that are conceivable could actually navigate the NS river and take people on a real tour of the river. Of course they could. I would of course prefer having a craft for hire on the river that could actually take people somewhere interesting.

This is 2018 and we have "The Edmonton Queen" that can't even get to Devon or Fort Sask. I just find it funny this bucket is on a river its not suited to. It wasn't properly designed for the depths of this river.

Going for a voyage all the way to the HLB isn't my idea of a big thrill.

Never saw that deal. I was just on their site the other day (and its not a very helpful site) looking for options and didn't see anything like that. More like 59bucks.

Being celiac though I have to be selective what and where I eat so them having food options is really zero bonus to me.

I would have an entirely different view of the Queen if it actually went much of anywhere.

Strikes me as strange that 100 years ago Edmonton had boats that took people up to Big Island or all the way east to Victoria Crossing, both of which would be interesting journeys, but now we got this boat which goes a very short trip down the river depending on conditions. It would be interesting if it went anywhere that wasn't commonly seen.

It sure doesn't seem like progress to me, or any incredible resource that our current big boat is far less capable of navigation on the river than any big boat designed 100 years ago or even 200 years ago on the North Saskatchewan. Its kind of sad that any of our forefathers got to go on NS voyages that were far more interesting than what is available with the Edmonton Queen. I'd prefer a longboat ride on the river.
    One, we have what we have. Until someone steps up and provides a different boating experience most people only have this choice. I believe there’s also canoe rentals. Then there’s always the option to buy one’s own boat (kayak, canoe, jet boat etc)

Regarding this boat people might recall an issue of if being built in a way that limited its possibilities. Not shallow enough draft I recall. However I can’t recall the details or whether it was just speculation or real.

I believe the old paddle wheels traveled very long distances - because of high water.

The Paddlewheeler | Waskesiu Heritage Museum

Jullian Mills, a steamship captain for 45 years on Alberta’s northern waterways retired in 1962 and moved to Edmonton in 1970. He then captained the Klondike Queen, a diesel-powered paddle wheeler that offered cruises on the North Saskatchewan River to Big Island, a recreation park near Edmonton. (It is believed that the North Saskatchewan waters were too dangerous to keep the paddle wheeler as a cruise boat thus it was sold.)

http://waskesiuheritagemuseum.org/wp/the-paddlewheeler/

A very good read:

Steamboats in Kalyna - Kalyna Country

...hitting the submerged piers of the Low Level bridge that was in the process of being constructed. The severely damaged boat was last seen drifting south of Saddle Lake on 19 August, bringing to a melancholy end a rather star-crossed chapter in the transportation history of the North Saskatchewan River.

Actually, in 1917, the steamboats “City of Edmonton” and “Alberta” made weekly two-day trips from Edmonton as far east as ...

http://www.kalynacountry.com/steamboats-in-kalyna/

Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 09:49 AM.

Did I suggest that it couldn't be done? No. I stated that this boat is not designed for what you're looking for.

Want a jet boat tour from Ft. Sask to Devon? Buy a jet boat or wait until someone starts a jet boat tour company. That's not the purpose of the Edmonton Queen, so complaining that it's not able to do it is just wasting everybody's time. 30k people found it interesting, and it provides a venue with views for those who are looking for a quick cruise.

If someone does step up and provide a different boating experience on the North Saskatchewan River, they should follow Winnipeg. These boats are for tourists at The Forks:

https://twitter.com/yegchan/status/1022700374053085184

So you're trying to suggest that no boats that are conceivable could actually navigate the NS river and take people on a real tour of the river. Of course they could. I would of course prefer having a craft for hire on the river that could actually take people somewhere interesting.

This is 2018 and we have "The Edmonton Queen" that can't even get to Devon or Fort Sask. I just find it funny this bucket is on a river its not suited to. It wasn't properly designed for the depths of this river.

There you go. Your own business opportunity!

If I just look at people I know - there’s a lot of boaters. I know several people that have or still do get on the river quite a lot via jet boats, and canoes. Years ago one friend completely built his own jet boat (hull and all). Another bought a small hull and equipped it out. They go on the river all the time. An amazing outdoors loving family. One of my uncles who also built a cabin on our land, also owned several jet boats over several decades and regularly travelled western Canada and the Yukon. (This experience may be why his son started what I think may have been one of Canada’s first environmental companies.). Spot an opportunity and go for it. Our river is grossly under appreciated.

You beat me to it but saved me typing the facts. The river is far shallower (and cleaner) since they installed the dams.

I guess Replacement expects to cross the river for under $10 in this...

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

There you go. Your own business opportunity!

If I just look at people I know - there’s a lot of boaters. I know several people that have or still do get on the river quite a lot via jet boats, and canoes. Years ago one friend completely built his own jet boat (hull and all). Another bought a small hull and equipped it out. They go on the river all the time. An amazing outdoors loving family. One of my uncles who also built a cabin on our land, also owned several jet boats over several decades and regularly travelled western Canada and the Yukon. (This experience may be why his son started what I think may have been one of Canada’s first environmental companies.). Spot an opportunity and go for it. Our river is grossly under appreciated.
    I think somebody should, but I'd be the worst suited for it, I can't even swim. Just amazes me that everywhere else I go theres better options like this. The Winnipeg boats are much better options as well and you can go various different places and actual get off somewhere else.

As you mentioned there was widespread criticism of the Edmonton Queen vision as early as it was built. From the first this was cited as a very poor design for the NS river. which it is. It can go virtually nowhere. Like I said earlier its about as trapped as the former Submarines at WEM.

maybe with Edmonton building more piers and landings some other entrepreneur will pop up. It would be welcomed. Person shouldn't have to buy a jet boat or small cruiseboat to be able to have he experience of going on one in a "RIVER CITY" You'd hardly know we were one with one commercial operator plying some of the waters.

My comments would go elsewhere but there is no other thread I can find on the theme and I can't start threads.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    If someone does step up and provide a different boating experience on the North Saskatchewan River, they should follow Winnipeg. These boats are for tourists at The Forks:

https://twitter.com/yegchan/status/1022700374053085184

Been on those. Enjoyable and a much better design for our river. Why can Winnipeg have this and not Edmonton? I think its a reasonable question.

The advantage of this kind of vessel is that they are easily transported, easily dry docked, require little water depth to operate on (albeit some days they have trouble as well) and require far less in pier installation. Can dock at a pretty standard pier. Low cost operation, can run frequently, and not much overhead.

Simple often being better.
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 11:26 AM.

Because we are waiting for you to pony up on the big bucks, buy a few boats and run the business.

Please let us know when you are ready to launch and I will be the first in line with my $10

Because we are waiting for you to pony up on the big bucks, buy a few boats and run the business.

Please let us know when you are ready to launch and I will be the first in line with my $10
    Not sure why its so unreasonable to want, at least once in this lifetime to be able to travel the waters of the NS for hire and to be able to take an actual interesting trip down the river before I kick. Been a lifetime Edmontonian and to my knowledge this has never been available here during my lifetime. Something that people could do in past centuries we can't do now, and no, NOT because of the river depth.

Again, how is that Winnipeg could have something like they have and Edmonton can't?

To travel the NS and imagine what it was like in the days of the voyageurs is on my bucketlist. but I would prefer a NS trip that voyages out of the city, not just in it.

Again being that I don't swim I don't trust canoeing down the river and I don't own a powerboat. Nor should I have to, one would think, in a river city of 1.3M. Its a somewhat reasonable thing to think that such thing might be provided in a river city.

Not much different, really, then you wanting to see some transportation gondolas.

You are talking in circles yet not registering what people are trying to tell you.

The Winnipeg boat idea has been long-talked about both for tourists and as a way (for 7 months of the year) to commute DT or maybe the U of A.

Who knows, maybe some entrepreneur(s) have looked into it, but discovered in the end the numbers don't work.

So what we have is the Riverboat Queen, whose numbers have failed time and again, back in the water for another try.
    ... gobsmacked

Remember the Expo 2017 bid with water taxis?

Obviously it has been thought through, discussed, and went nowhere. Maybe it just needs some new blood to get it fired back up.

Meanwhile the gondola idea is still being discussed by Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson with City officials. It would provide a direct river crossing from transit links and business nodes on both sides of the top of bank.

Your river ferry would not be suitable for commuting to DT, Whyte Ave. or the U of A.

Meanwhile the gondola idea is still being discussed by Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson with City officials. It would provide a direct river crossing from transit links and business nodes on both sides of the top of bank.

Your river ferry would not be suitable for commuting to DT, Whyte Ave. or the U of A.
    It would be suitable for Hawreluk park, Laurier Park, LMP, Fort Edmonton, Legislature, Kinsmen, Whitmud Park, Rafters landing, Rundle Park, Hermitage park. Big island, Riverdale, Cloverdale, etc.

The city is expanding the network of launching pts and piers right now.

As for the U of A and DT specifically there are pathways from the River to U of A. Much of them paved. For DT the Funicular exists as does SCC to bring people from the river, to DT.

Theres any number of wonderful reasons to do this.

You are talking in circles yet not registering what people are trying to tell you.
    I'm not understanding that discussion on a discussion board is being discouraged. Or at least it seems so. What are you trying to tell me other than Shut up!

Never did. We are just trying to explain to you that nobody would make any money selling $10 boat rides and no one is asking for a $10 ferry trip to cross the river for the few short months that are available when we have easy access to many existing bridges that people can walk, cycle, take transit or their car.

If you think that your boat idea would be popular, we are actually encouraging you to take the helm and steer a clear course to a profitable venture.

Let's just not put it on the public dime.

BTW, have fun with navigating the Federal Government's rules of navigation and transporting passengers on their river.

https://www.canada.ca/en/news/archiv...r-vessels.html
    https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/policy/anre-menu-3019.htm
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../FullText.html
    http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/publ...index-eng.html
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; Yesterday at 01:16 PM.

Never did. We are just trying to explain to you that nobody would make any money selling $10 boat rides and no one is asking for a $10 ferry trip to cross the river for the few short months that are available when we have easy access to many existing bridges that people can walk, cycle, take transit or their car.

If you think that your boat idea would be popular, we are actually encouraging you to take the helm and steer a clear course to a profitable venture.

Let's just not put it on the public dime.

BTW, have fun with navigating the Federal Government's rules of navigation and transporting passengers on their river.

https://www.canada.ca/en/news/archiv...r-vessels.html
    https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/policy/anre-menu-3019.htm
    http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/publ...index-eng.html
    I would spend 100bucks on a worthwhile trip down the river that actually went anywhere. Just that I figure the current very limited circle trip isn't worth very much.

I'm not sure why you need to be such as *** to tell me several times in the thread I should just do the venture on my own. I've never once stated for you to shut up about PRT, or suggest you should build it on your own, or the gondola.

So have fun being an ***. over and out
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 01:35 PM.

Thanks for being so rude. We try to help and you call me names.

Next time you see a boat on the river , offer them a $100 bucks to take you along.

If you act on the boat like you do on this forum, be sure to wear a life jacket when they make you walk the plank...

Thanks for being so rude. We try to help and you call me names.

Next time you see a boat on the river , offer them a $100 bucks to take you along.

If you act on the boat like you do on this forum, be sure to wear a life jacket when they make you walk the plank...

Go **** yourself

Never said that to anybody on line before but I'll say it now.
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 01:51 PM.

Nice

Meanwhile, you posted this

You say that you want a $10 ride.

Not sure why its so unreasonable to want, at least once in this lifetime to be able to travel the waters of the NS for hire and to be able to take an actual interesting trip down the river before I kick. Been a lifetime Edmontonian and to my knowledge this has never been available here during my lifetime.

Not much different, really, then you wanting to see some transportation gondolas.
    Then you say that you would be willing to pay $100. I suggested you offer someone with a boat that $100 and you go haywire and throw in your hatred of the gondola idea.

Nobody can follow your disconnected thoughts.

Are you becoming Edmonton Daily Photo or MrOilers?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; Yesterday at 02:09 PM.

It's called, "what the market will bear ....."

Edmonton, with but one boat, will naturally have higher prices than Winnipeg with three.

Besides, as mentioned above, it's a destination experience, not a river bus.
    Winnipeg has no riverboats left operating due to age. They have river tours on pontoon style boats. The Paddelwheel Queen,Princess,Rouge,showboat are all gone. Along with the Lady Winnipeg and now scrapped Lord Selkirk. Still, Winnipeg utilizes the rivers they have far more so than here. Partly due to private property directly on the river bank thus allowing docks and private boats.Saskatoon's river boat was in Winnipeg originally.

An average sailing on any boat in the Peg was 2 hour minimum. 3 hours on the evening dinner and dance cruises.It looks interesting enough that I will take a ride next year because the owners have put alot money and effort into keeping this here. And that is what this city needs. Attractions that are NOT in a mall.

*gets popcorn........

Bring in a dredger. Many problems would go away.

Or a hovercraft.

Edmonton set to debate noisy boats on North Saskatchewan River – Edmonton Journal

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...atchewan-river

Great Canadian Hover Rally showcases hovercraft from around the country - SwiftCurrentOnline.com

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/l...overcraft-from

'It’s never been done': Alberta family aims to make hovercraft history | CTV News

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/it-s...tory-1.2437571
    Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 10:35 PM.

Thanks for that link. Formally dispelled many myths that people rant about. I have fished, paddled, swam and enjoyed the easy access to the river all my life. Even saw a 5ft sturgeon down by the old Cloverbar generating station.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; Today at 06:03 AM.