Thread: TV shows you most value(d)

Default TV shows you most value(d)

Over your life what TV show, programs, serials, documentaries, etc. have you seen as having the most "value" to you, or to Edmontonians, Canadians...?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The Wonder Years was a favorite of mine growing up in the late 80s/early 90s, as I was 14 when it debuted. When I was younger Jack Tripper's slapstick comedy and the entire gang of Three's Company had me in stitches, mind you most of these were reruns. By my late teens I was a big Cheers fan but then it went offair in 1993

I'd rather C2E than work!

My Three Sons with Fred Macmurray. The first show I remember was Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men on BBC.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Popcorn Playhouse
    The Noon Show
    Front Page Challenge

I'll list a few more after I give the topic some more thought.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    My Three Sons with Fred Macmurray. The first show I remember was Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men on BBC.
    Wow! That goes back a bit. "Weeeeeeeeed. Weeeeeeeeed!"
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Long Term Contributor

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

What triggered this thread was CBC Marketplace's celebrating 4 decades on TV.
    (They are going to play excerpt from the past over the next few weeks.)

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/
    "We're marking 40 years of Marketplace! Enjoy a little montage of 40 years of Marketplace memories while Stompin' Tom plays our original theme song, The ..."

Including most of the above shows I like:
    60-minutes
    NOVA,
    Connections,
    The Day the Universe Changed
    Last edited by KC; 14-01-2013 at 08:08 AM.

All of what SDM mentioned, plus M.A.S.H. its non-stop humour mixed with drama and emotion will be hard to ever beat.

barney miller......hilarious.

I never got into drama's/documentaries or such [ there's enough of that in life ]. I always looked for a relief valve from that. So, I gravitated to programs that took my mind off it.

M*A*S*H
    W K R P
    Green Acres
    Hogans Hero's
    F-Troop
    Air Farce
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Simpsons
    Trailer Park Boys
    WWE/WWF
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Seinfeld
    Frasier
    ER
    Boston Legal
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

All in the Family
    Taxi
    Fawlty Towers
    Welcome Back Kotter
    Fame
    The Waltons

Three's Company. As the all-time favorite.

As regards the original question -- value to Edmontonians or Canadians -- I honestly don't know what to make of it.

SCTV, I guess.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 15-01-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Hmmm

Weakness for British Comedy.

Of course Monty Python, Fawlty Towers.

Man about the house.

The Goodies

The Young Uns

Canadian?

Wayne and Shuster

SCTV

Nature of Things

I like anything irreverant, subversive, challenging status quo.

As I get older nice travel docs in beautiful hdtv take me away a bit.

I'm attempting less fixation on viewing sports which I consider as a bit of an opiod to the masses if not an outright addictive in its own rights..
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    The Wonder Years was a favorite of mine growing up in the late 80s/early 90s, as I was 14 when it debuted. When I was younger Jack Tripper's slapstick comedy and the entire gang of Three's Company had me in stitches, mind you most of these were reruns. By my late teens I was a big Cheers fan but then it went offair in 1993
    That show had a timeless quality to it. TV transcending the usual formulaic sitcom. Liked the narration and young perspective to it. It captured growing up reasonably well.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

That show had a timeless quality to it. TV transcending the usual formulaic sitcom. Liked the narration and young perspective to it. It captured growing up reasonably well.
    Very well said. Sometimes I throw on a couple episodes today and it immediately takes me back to my own youth, which is kinda neat experience.

The 'new' BBC series Sherlock

(except I have to get it via Netfix)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Very well said. Sometimes I throw on a couple episodes today and it immediately takes me back to my own youth, which is kinda neat experience.
    It's time travel.

I love old movies because I sometimes see a glimpse of what the world was like for my parents and grandparents.

The Sopranos

Anything Star Trek.

I'm a geek, will always be a geek.

after one of those challenging days a little bit of the Bazinga Boy
    is pretty funny and de-stressing
    As far as valued most of the PBS lineup
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

As regards the original question -- value to Edmontonians or Canadians -- I honestly don't know what to make of it.

SCTV, I guess.
    Man about the house / Robin's Nest, I liked. Less so the American spin-off.
    Last edited by KC; 09-02-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Seinfeld by far has brought me the most laughs of any TV show. I really value that. David Letterman's Late Night/Late Show would be 2nd for the same reason.

Murdoch mysteries.

All In The Family. I learned a whole swackload of stuff about American politics and social issues from that show, things that were not often discussed in the mainstream media(eg. The Jewish Defense League terrorist group), or I was too young to have heard of otherwise(eg. swinging).

Looking back, it was rather odd how Archie Bunker was just this blue-collar guy living in Queens, but somehow managed to become a lightning-rod for every social issue facing America at the time. Same incongruity with other Norman Lear sitcoms, as well as with Barney Miller, where the criminals they arrested always turned out to be arguing about some controversial topic. Not that I didn't like Barney Miller as well.

C2E Super Addict

For it's radical post modern undermining of established political orthodoxies, it's subversive proto-feminist subplots and unerring commitment to a post Hobbesian neo-progressive agenda:

The Benny Hill Show.

Yeah, what he said (I think). Also applies to Til Death Us Do Part, the original for All In The Family which was yet another much watered-down American version of a UK show.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Growing up: M*A*S*H
    University Years: Star Trek (various incarnations) and Game shows, mostly Price is Right at lunch, and Jeopardy in the evening.
    Post University: Babylon 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Early Parenting years: Dead Wood, Battlestar Galactica, Coupling, Firefly
    Current: Castle, Bones, Boardwalk Empire

For the kids: Blues Clues, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Freakazoid, Avatar: the Last Airbender.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Breaking Bad
    Downton Abbey
    Come Fly With Me

House of Cards... LOVE IT.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

I never seen this series but I hope to now. This has to be one of the best reviews I've ever read...

Search: The History of a Forgotten Spy Show

"Warner Archive finally issued Search: The Complete Series, and it’s more relevant today than it was 40 years ago. Even with Doug McClure."

..."Okay, the first thing that struck me as odd given the premise was the show’s timing. In ‘72 nobody had yet heard of Watergate, but still, ... Things had taken a sharp turn toward the paranoid and anti-government sentiment was running ugly. So to put out a show about charming quasi-governmental agents spying on everyone they meet in order, mostly, to protect people in power? You’d think it would be a hard sell. Watching it today after the Snowden leaks it strikes home even harder and is much more troubling given we no longer have that “sci-fi” cushion to protect us from the show’s implications. It’s like the flipside to The Prisoner, but told from Number 2’s perspective. It’s less a show about freedom and rebellion than one about complete control."...

"It also strikes me that World Securities, for as much international clout as they obviously wield, spends an awful lot of time trying to cover its own ***. Every few weeks they have to spend lord knows how much money and time and manpower ..."

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/search-th...otten-spy-show

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    For it's radical post modern undermining of established political orthodoxies, it's subversive proto-feminist subplots and unerring commitment to a post Hobbesian neo-progressive agenda:

The Benny Hill Show.
    I miss that and Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

If the right people don't have power - Yes, Prime Minister
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOvEwtDycs

Yes, Minister
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9EwpGB75kw

Who reads the papers? - Yes, Prime Minister - BBC comedy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGscoaUWW2M
    Last edited by KC; 04-03-2014 at 02:53 PM.

I watch an episode of something every single morning as I work out, and so over the years that's translated to a LOT of television. My favourite show at the moment, though--and quite possibly my favourite show ever--is The Americans. Just outstanding in every way.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    University Years: Star Trek (various incarnations) and Game shows, mostly Price is Right at lunch, and Jeopardy in the evening.

For the kids: Blues Clues, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Freakazoid, Avatar: the Last Airbender.
    Update current: Castle, Archer, Doctor Who, Community, Sherlocke
    For the kids: Doctor Who, Mythbusters.

In no order:

Sopranos, WKRP, All In The Family, Modern Family, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Hilll Street Blues, Sons of Anarchy, Arrested Development (non Netflix). There are more but that's a good start.

Overated:

House Of Cards
    Game Of Thrones
    True Dectective
    Boardwalk Empire

Recently,

Breaking Bad
    Downton Abbey
    Mike & Molly
    Shameless (U.K. version)
    Mr. Selfridge
    Mad Men

Borgen -- Danish political drama my wife and I have been watching. Available at EPL. Surprisingly good. I can actually stay awake for a full episode despite the subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I never seen this series but I hope to now. This has to be one of the best reviews I've ever read...

Search: The History of a Forgotten Spy Show

"Warner Archive finally issued Search: The Complete Series, and it’s more relevant today than it was 40 years ago. Even with Doug McClure."

..."Okay, the first thing that struck me as odd given the premise was the show’s timing. In ‘72 nobody had yet heard of Watergate, but still, ... Things had taken a sharp turn toward the paranoid and anti-government sentiment was running ugly. So to put out a show about charming quasi-governmental agents spying on everyone they meet in order, mostly, to protect people in power? You’d think it would be a hard sell. Watching it today after the Snowden leaks it strikes home even harder and is much more troubling given we no longer have that “sci-fi” cushion to protect us from the show’s implications. It’s like the flipside to The Prisoner, but told from Number 2’s perspective. It’s less a show about freedom and rebellion than one about complete control."...

"It also strikes me that World Securities, for as much international clout as they obviously wield, spends an awful lot of time trying to cover its own ***. Every few weeks they have to spend lord knows how much money and time and manpower ..."

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/search-th...otten-spy-show
    Liked watching that show back in the day. Pretty high tech for 1972/73. I can still remember Burgess Meredith constantly mentioning the name "Lockwood" (Hugh O'Brian) to try to get him back on the program and stop being so independent.

Married with Children.

I remember flying in to Incheon late one night, being met at the airport by a friend, and Married with Children was on in the lobby for some reason. I think it was the episode with Gilbert Gottfried where they get stuck on a deserted island together. We were in stitches, and a crowd of five or ten people in total had gathered, all putting off going to their homes or hotels to watch it. And then it turns out

"...to be continued..."

Aggggggggggck!!!!!!!!

Never saw part 2!
    Let's make Edmonton better.

First One is Always Free

I miss THE CRAZY ONES.

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    Anything Star Trek.

I'm a geek, will always be a geek.
    Anything?

Shatner/Winkler...'s BLTN is surprisingly good. (Face it, it's great compared to more nauseating Trump vs. Clinton news.)

Update current or recent:

Peaky Blinders
    Silicon Valley - the scariest part of the show is they toned down what it's really like in the industry.
    Episodes
    The Expanse
    Preacher
    Fargo
    Broadchurch
    Agents of SHIELD
    Daredevil
    Jessica Jones

Upcoming:
    Stranger Things
    Mr. Robot

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Recently,

Breaking Bad
    Downton Abbey
    Mike & Molly
    Shameless (U.K. version)
    Mr. Selfridge
    Mad Men
    More recently:
    True Detective
    Fargo
    A Place to Call Home
    Reruns: Seinfield/Frazier/Forsyte Saga

SCTV, I guess.
    I really liked the British version but never got into the American 3sC when it came out.

In recent times really like Sherlock and Breaking Bad. The writers of these shows seem far more skilled than the average writer.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

SCTV, I guess.
    I really liked the British version but never got into the American 3sC when it came out.

In recent times really like Sherlock and Breaking Bad. The writers of these shows seem far more skilled than the average writer.
    Sherlock is mostly written by it's showrunner, Stephen Moffat and his frequent collaborator, Mark Gattiss (who also plays Mycroft in Sherlock). They also both write and work on Doctor Who. Moffat's earlier comedy, Coupling, is very good as well.

Vince Gilligan, who cut his teeth on X-Files, was the showrunner and main writer for Breaking Bad. Currently doing Better Call Saul.

Batman
    Spiderman
    Wonderful World of Disney
    Professor Kitzel
    Popcorn Playhouse
    Gilligan's Island
    Happy Days
    Roots
    Taxi
    Cheers
    Holocaust
    North of 60
    The Civil War
    Larry Sanders Show
    M*A*S*H
    Soparanos
    Curb your Enthusiasm

Update current or recent:

Peaky Blinders
    Silicon Valley - the scariest part of the show is they toned down what it's really like in the industry.
    Episodes
    The Expanse
    Preacher
    Fargo
    Broadchurch
    Agents of SHIELD
    Daredevil
    Jessica Jones

Upcoming:
    Stranger Things
    Mr. Robot
    Still haven't got to Mr. Robot. Got distracted but the wonder that is Westworld.

Re-runs of Seinfield
    Big Bang Theory
    Happy Valley (Netflix) both seasons
    True Detective, both seasons
    Great British Baking Show
    A Place to Call Home (filmed in Australia)

Not mentioned yet but should be:
    Friday Night Lights
    Orphan Black
    NYPD Blue
    Hockey Night in Canada
    Top Chef
    King of Queens
    Face Off

Still Friends? The trouble with old sitcoms - BBC News

Excerpt
    Fawlty Towers - the 1970s sitcom was based in a rundown hotel in Torquay and starred John Cleese as Basil Fawlty. One of the show's best-known scenes featured Basil's argument with a group of German guests, during which he stresses: "Don't mention the war!" It was recently named the best British sitcom of all time in a survey of comedians and comedy writers and actors. In 2013, the BBC removed a scene from a re-run of an episode in which one of the characters, Major Gowen (Ballard Berkeley), made derogatory marks about the Indian cricket team.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-42690207

^Yeah, we live in a snowflake society where the only thing about snowflakes that are unique is that they have had their humor gene removed. One could say they need personality transplants also but that's taking it too far. At one time we could laugh with each other and not at each other. Now it seems we cannot do either.

Fawlty towers was bloody brilliant...sad, what passes for humor now.