Thread: Tech Shopping Price Comparison and Deal Hunting Guide

Default Tech Shopping Price Comparison and Deal Hunting Guide

If anything is buying any technological products, be it electronics or computer related, I find it is helpful to your pocket book if you use price comparison websites to do a little virtual leg work.

Most stores will at least match a sale price, and some, like Memory Express and Future Shop will even offer a further discount based on a percentage of the price difference.

One of my favourite price comparison sites is Shopbot.ca ; you enter the model number of the item you are looking for to bring up a list of sites with your item, and there cost; however you must go directly to sites page for the following reasons:

• to confirm the price is the real retail price, and not the price after mail-in-rebates (which do not count against a price beat)
    • to find out if there are any shipping costs if the web site has no local retail presence; these costs must be added to the retail price, and may negate any price beating potential. You may have to go and add the items to the sites virtual shopping cart, and go to the checkout to get the shipping costs; as long as you don't enter any personal information or credit card information, you should be fine.
    • to print a copy of web page and/or checkout page to prove the final cost of the item you're interested in.
    • to confirm if the item in question is on sale, and if so, to find out when the sale ends, to avoid missing the deal.

Two more websites that are useful about finding out about deals and for doing price comparisons are Red Flag Deals and PriceNetwork.ca. Both have price comparison tools to supplement shopbot. They also contain sections and forums dedicated to deals, coupons, and free offers. Of the two, Red Flag Deals is more oriented to technological products, and I enjoy the banter back and forth on the forum, a community of skinflints, cheapskates, and deal hunters after my own heart

Much of this advice can be applied to non-technological related products, but it is harder to get price comparisons on them online. Some online sites do have non-technological goods listed with the price, even if they can't be purchased online. Canadian Tire, Walmart, and London Drugs all have a good variety of goods posted on their sites.

Some industries make it intentionally hard to price match. For example, the exact same mattress may have a different model number at the Brick, Sleep Country, and Sears.

When purchasing higher end cellphone, computer, and audio/visual cables and smaller gadgets, your best bet is to do so online.
    You can usually get significant deals on cables, adapters, and switch boxes from Monoprice ; the shipping charges are reasonable; and the prices are usually a fair bit cheaper then retail, particularly on long cable lengths. If you keep your order under $20, you probably won't get charged handling and taxes by customs.

For smaller, hard to come by items like cell phone cases, chargers, adapters, cables, etc, eBay is probably your best bet. I like to order from Hong Kong; most items can be found in BuyItNow (set price) auctions, and usually shipping is included or very inexpensive. The items arrive anywhere from a couple of weeks to about a month; most of the stuff I've ordered from Eastern Canada has taken significantly longer then the stuff from Hong Kong. The items usually come in a small, taped up envelope that can be slipped into a mail box or slot, and many of the sellers will mark the items as gifts so you avoid paying duty. Prices are usually between ten and fifty percent of retail here. If anyone knows a good place locally to get cases, cables, chargers, etc for oddball phones at reasonable prices, please post.

If you don't wish to order online, or need cables or other miscellaneous consumer electronics immediatly, Princess Auto has a surprisingly large variety of cables, including HDMI, RCA, coaxial, optical, etc. in the Surplus section of their store. Some of the items on their site may be unavailable at a given store; you can call ahead with the item number to find out for sure.

Another good local source of cable, particuraly of things like RCA and headphone cables, are dollar stores. Dollar store goods may vary in quality; for example, I got a usb flash card reader from Dollarama that works great, but there HDMI cables are supposed to be hit and miss.

Well, that's Ustauk's guide to tech deals. I look forward to any additional advice on tech-oriented comparison shopping. Good hunting!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I will sticky this for a while.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Thank you. I hope people find it helpful.

First time I ever had a thread stickied, anywhere. I'm so happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

i had asked for it to be since it is something very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post

i had asked for it to be since it is something very helpful
    My thanks!

Double Diamond Electronics is a good place to get great deals locally.

http://www.doublediamondltd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Double Diamond Electronics is a good place to get great deals locally.

http://www.doublediamondltd.com/
    Double Diamond sells to public? I remember buying stuff through my old work from a company with I think that name, but I didn't realize you could walk off the street and buy from them. If it is the same people, I remember they had excellent prices (possibly wholesale), and good customer service. I had a Polk audio subwoofer die within the year warranty, and they exchanged it no problem.

Two excellent dollar stores with a wide variety electronics accessories are Your Dollar Store And More, located next to the Clareview Visions, and Absolute Dollar Store, next to the Jasper Gates Safeway. Both have great variety of tempered glass mobile phone screen protectors, phone cases, HDMI cables, USB cables, USB chargers, power bars, extension cords, coaxial cables, RCA cables, and other electronics accessories at reasonable prices, especially compared to a pure electronics retailer like Visions.