Thread: Who cycles in the winter?

Default Who cycles in the winter?

Anyone? I don't, but I'd like to give it a shot. Anyone try those studded snow-tires for bikes?

I used to bike in the winter when i worked warehouse, never did use studded tires though lower air pressure would work just as well imo, as it gives more of a contact patch with the snow.

highlander

I bike through the winter. I have studded tires, and they're good, but I'm not convinced that they're a game-changer. They still slip on black ice, especially on acceleration as the studs are off-center, and while there was a lot of ice this year, it's mostly gone and we're back to dealing with snow, and studs don't really help on snow. Especially the brown slushy snow that the city makes with their trucks.

If the city hasn't dumped anything, I find that side streets generally pack down to a nice flat surface with enough grip for a knobby mountain bike tire.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Same for me. There are two things that make streets nearly impossible to bike on - the rough ice that forms when watery slush freezes, and the brown sludge that forms when the city dumps sand/salt mix onto the street instead of plowing.

I used to and will again after I get my winter bike refreshed this summer. I only ever ran studs on the front tire. They were home done with screws and angled out. The idea is that the studs engage when the wheel starts to tip, saving your from a fall.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Thanks for the tips!

I've occasionally considered it, but have always decided against it. Even when I can get past the "it's freaking cold" factor and the "I'm scared of falling" factor and the "riding on snow is no fun" factor, I'm still stuck with thinking about the damage it will do to my bikes.
    Its so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?

^ Buy a cheap department store bike (new or used). Ride it through the winter without worrying about damaging expensive parts. When the snow melts, wash off the accumulated gunk, go to MEC and buy a $10 chain and $15 freewheel and it is ready for another winter. Or summer - much less worry about someone stealing your bike if it looks like a rusty POS.

^ Sadly, the "cheap department store bike" route won't work for me--I'm one of those recumbent riders who is so used to 'bents at this point that sitting on an upright is kind of horrifyingly unpleasant. I do have a not-outrageously-expensive semi-'bent, though, and I do occasionally think about making it my winter bike. Maybe someday.
    Its so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?

I used ride my '98 Rocky Mountain Blizzard (aptly named), with all the parts transplanted to a '95 Kona Kiluaea (total opposite!) recreationally.. I've got studded tires that make quite a big difference on ice, not so much on snow). I rock Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro tires.