View Poll Results: If Stephen Mandel doesn’t run again for mayor, who would be his successor?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karen Leibovici

8 20.51%
  • Amarjeet Sohi

3 7.69%
  • Don Iveson

19 48.72%
  • Kerry Diotte

6 15.38%
  • None of the above

3 7.69%

Thread: If Stephen Mandel doesn’t run again for mayor, who would be his successor?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default If Stephen Mandel doesn’t run again for mayor, who would be his successor?

If Stephen Mandel doesn’t run again for mayor, who would be his successor?

Edmonton Journal journalist, David Staples', named four potential candidates: Karen Leibovici, Amarjeet Sohi, Don Iveson and Kerry Diotte.

shudders at the thought. No, No, No, No.

(Maybe Sohi... )

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I think Krushell is the best option from the current city council.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Krushell is very good bet, if she runs for a Mayor's chair.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nosirrah View Post
    I agree. I think she's got a good chance
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

Krushell

Has anybody heard from Daryl Bonar since the last election?

Addicted to C2E

What ? No Krushell?

Although anybody but Diotte would be acceptable to me.......

It's interesting that Staples does not mention Krushell. People I know who are active in civic politics mention her a great deal. I haven't gone over the potential candidates enough to make decision. I do think Diotte would make a terrible mayor. While he's been far better on council than I expected, one of the mayor's jobs is to lead council and I can't see Diotte being good at that at all.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Krushell for sure. I guess the poll is for runner up?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Krushell
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Krushell If Diotte ever won....I would litterally jump off the high Level Bridge!!!
    Last edited by Franky Knuckles; 05-02-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Krushell please. If Caterina or Diotte run and win I will leave this city.

Iveson or Diotte.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

(Maybe Sohi... )
    You must not know him well. AS much as I don't like the list nobody should pick this one.

edit: Krushell? Oh gawd, worse.

Who would read her the cue cards?:

"This arena won't ever cost the taxpayers any tax increase, I wish the public was better informed and understood the issues. Oh wait, we have to increase taxes."
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-02-2013 at 12:13 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Iveson or Diotte.
    +1
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

(Maybe Sohi... )
    You must not know him well. AS much as I don't like the list nobody should pick this one.

edit: Krushell? Oh gawd, worse.

Who would read her the cue cards?:

"This arena won't ever cost the taxpayers any tax increase, I wish the public was better informed and understood the issues. Oh wait, we have to increase taxes."
    Isn't she the one who has it on good authority that there are developers waiting in the wings to build towers a 1000 stories high?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

C2E Posting Power

Shame Rob Ford's no longer a free candidate

Iveson's young, which probably doesn't work in his favour politically, but I think he'd make a great mayor for Edmonton. He seems to have a great grasp on building Edmonton for the future, while still making practical decisions and working to keep the city running cost-effectively.

As my ward's councillor, I've also been impressed at how he keeps a dialogue between his decisions and the public with his blog and email feedback. Though all in all, I hope Mandel sticks around a while longer.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I hope I don't have to make that choice. I really hope Mayor Mandell will run again.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I hope I don't have to make that choice. I really hope Mayor Mandell will run again.
    While Mandel has been good I think it's good for a city, or any organization, to have changes in leadership.

I'd be happy with Leibovici or Iveson. In fact, I'd have a hard time deciding if they both ran.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I would vote for Krushell, if she didn't run I am not sure who I would vote for (definitely not Diotte, that would make me want to move).

I think if he runs, Diotte has a good shot at taking it.

People still sour about the Airport, the anti-arena crowd, the pothole people, I think he could win. :/
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I disagree about the airport, people have long forgotten about it (unless you are in the Envision cult) and highly doubt Diotte would even come in second place.

Addicted to C2E

Tooker Iveson will not be getting my vote.

He is announcing in April whether or not he is running again according to the Journal.
    Kim Krushell would be my pick. She is common-sense and shows similar qualities to Mandel.

I used to think Iveson would be good for the job but once I got over his good looks, I say no.
    Think of the projects he has voted against since joining city council... we would still be stuck in the early 2000's if he was in charge.

To be fair he's been voting against things because of certain details of the proposals...not because he doesn't think they're good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    To be fair he's been voting against things because of certain details of the proposals...not because he doesn't think they're good ideas.
    I think this is key. He strikes me as taking a cautious approach, but not a conservative (in the sense of "wanting to do things the old way") one. He seems to like the more forward-looking ideas, but to want the proposals to be written up in a way that takes all of the possible pitfalls into account. I've disagreed with several of his votes, but in principle that wouldn't be a bad characteristic for a mayor to have.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Wow, where did all the Krushell supporters come from? I'm interested in why you'd support her specifically over Iveson or Liebovici?

The list of names Staples suggests are the ones I've heard are seriously thinking about it. But it all depends on Mandel (ie. State of the City Address April 2)
    www.decl.org

Diotte is a populist candidate, not a city builder. Check into his reasoning behind the bike routes in his ward as just one token of his tactics and support methods. I've been locking horns with that man since before he was elected!
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I said Krushell because I think she would be able to maintain the "team" nature of council that seems to actually be effective and get things done with quality input from all viewpoints, rather than endless bickering with no tangible results.

Doesn't matter if we build the city the right way or the wrong way if nothing gets built at all. That's what we experienced pre-Mandel.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I would rather have the bus driver run this city, maybe then we will have better bus service just maybe.

for me , it is either Krushell , if Mandel leaves or Mandel, if he runs again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I said Krushell because I think she would be able to maintain the "team" nature of council that seems to actually be effective and get things done with quality input from all viewpoints, rather than endless bickering with no tangible results.

Doesn't matter if we build the city the right way or the wrong way if nothing gets built at all. That's what we experienced pre-Mandel.
    If you attend City Hall proceedings it doesn't take long to discern that Krushell is Mandel's yes person on every matter with Sohi running a close second. The word puppets come to mind. That people would vote for either as Mayor is incomprehensible. krushell is not a team player and has stirred the pot on occasion with other alderman. She gets away with it due to Mandel being mayor. I could see some tensions and credibility issues if Krushell was trying to hone a cooperative city council.

I'd be terrified if somebody with this little understanding, and lack of independent thought, ended being in charge of this city. We need vision and leadership not a cheerleader. Bill Smith exhibited what that looks like.

Henderson would be the brightest mind on this council. Iveson second.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Couldn't disagree with you more, thankfully most people don't see things your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Couldn't disagree with you more, thankfully most people don't see things your way.
    So you know what most people think?

Thank you for your omniscience.

As per usual I'd expect you to disagree with me.
    Is this a discussion board?

Do you have anything to actually add or is it just somehow important for you to state the above. Because I think there was no point in your post in respect of adding anything to the thread.

I've outlined some of my concerns with Krushell, I can substantiate, and go into great detail on why I would be concerned with her as a mayor.

You can either rebut that, discuss it, or decide to add nothing..

your call

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well judging by the long list of people on here who have her as their first choice, maybe, just maybe you are not right for once lol. How one person can be right in EVERY thread is quite amazing, how do you do it replacement???

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Well judging by the long list of people on here who have her as their first choice, maybe, just maybe you are not right for once lol. How one person can be right in EVERY thread is quite amazing, how do you do it replacement???
    So the election is going to be decided by C2E? This is just one of the issues where it is casually assumed that this bulletin board reflects the opinions / interests of the wider population.

Eve

Fine, now you've stated something. That allows me to clarify. I don't have to be "right" and its odd you'd state that because you certainly don't believe it, and I wear a signature that belies the humility I possess in my own opinion.

If anything I'm prone to overstatement, acknowledged, and an area of work for me. I do find it somewhat cathartic to give in to rant form online. So I can go overboard, yes.

Still, theres points to discuss. From what I've seen in person, and online, Krushell doesn't always treat other councillors with respect. The thing is some of the councillors that have been the recipient of her barbs are unpopular here. But this doesn't excuse some of the outright dismissal she's engaged in with colleagues.

I do find her to be Mandels right hand person and a yes person that votes yes to everything. Indeed as Ken posted not too long ago she has the fewest no votes to any issue on City council. I fear she'd be a non evaluative rubber stamper.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Your hatred for Krushell is well documented on HFBoards and has been shot down by many of the posters on there. You constantly berate and slander her with comments and its nauseating. Comments like this show how ignorant you are and I for one have had enough, continue on with you pig headed and bullying tactics, I am done with people like you.

Originally Posted by Replacement
    Krushell is somebody thats spent most of her adult life being in an assistant subservient role.

She spent 10 yrs being an assistant to previous alderman, she's been an assistant librarian, laborer in a pulp mill, and basically piggy backed into being an aldermanic candidate through her 10yr tenure as an aldermanic assistant. This is basically a resume devoid of career motivation that finally lucked into something good.

She's basically the aldermanic equivalent of Danny Macciocia. She hung around forever and became a recognizable face that people ended up voting for.

Its rich that Krushell is now telling Edmonton all about the breakdown of the deal from her own limited perspective. A deal I maintain she barely understands.
    http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post38440221

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    So the election is going to be decided by C2E? This is just one of the issues where it is casually assumed that this bulletin board reflects the opinions / interests of the wider population.

Eve
    No but not having her on the list/thinking she shouldn't be on the list when so many people on here would have her as their first choice is obviously incorrect.

I can't see Mandel not running one last time... his legacy is at stake.

Caterina annoyed me during the airport debate. He annoyed me during the beginning of the arena debate too, but he now seems very much for an arena. He also seems to be the most level councilor in the whole arena thing. Not showing much biased either way, and losing his northlands hat was a big change. He always seemed to be trying to get whats best for Edmonton, while still respecting that a downtown arena is a good investment for the CoE to make. I might actually support him for mayor if Mandel doesn't run.

I really hope Mandel does runs for another term. In the next term, the airport lands start to develop, the arena is started and possibly finished, and SE to W LRT should be underway. If he doesn't run, it could be full stop on many of these things. Mandel will want to ensure his legacy actually happens. I would be very surprised if he doesn't run one last time.

Your hatred for Krushell is well documented on HFBoards and has been shot down by many of the posters on there. You constantly berate and slander her with comments and its nauseating. Comments like this show how ignorant you are and I for one have had enough, continue on with you pig headed and bullying tactics, I am done with people like you.

Originally Posted by Replacement
    Krushell is somebody thats spent most of her adult life being in an assistant subservient role.

She spent 10 yrs being an assistant to previous alderman, she's been an assistant librarian, laborer in a pulp mill, and basically piggy backed into being an aldermanic candidate through her 10yr tenure as an aldermanic assistant. This is basically a resume devoid of career motivation that finally lucked into something good.

She's basically the aldermanic equivalent of Danny Macciocia. She hung around forever and became a recognizable face that people ended up voting for.

Its rich that Krushell is now telling Edmonton all about the breakdown of the deal from her own limited perspective. A deal I maintain she barely understands.
    I find it interesting that you would post this from another board in your missive to deride anything I have to state HERE. That seems to speak to an agenda on your part. Perhaps even a "bullying" agenda.

What exactly in the quoted passage from the other board is inaccurate?

Is this really somebody who's had a career of leadership to bank on that would serve her well being a mayor? more importantly would the City of Edmonton be well served with this incumbent acting beyond her means?

You keep stating "you are done with me" "put me on ignore" etc. So why not do that, limit your constant drivebys and attacks, and actually do what you promised to do. Its not like your responses are helpful. Nor are they designed to be. They ARE attacks, on a moderated messageboard. Probably with you gripping tightly on the keyboard with clenched teeth while calling me names.

As far as the bolded one could only like to think that the purpose of your post was splendid irony although I doubt that. More clearly you lose self control in posting and engage in posts that are inappropriate in reaction to that which you seek to denounce.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-02-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quoting from other boards without identifying the source it is completely offside. Other boards have a right to be cited just like any other periodical. Additionally, that practice allows for misinterpretation, invalid context, and no point of reference for the thread at hand as no one here has the ability to reference back to the quoted discussion. While it may be clear to you that the author is one in the same between the two boards, other instances it may not be.

This thread was constructed from the column authored by David Staples. In that column, he identified the candidates as listed. I will not fault the OP for doing this, nor should anyone here.

I remember way back hearing this.
    This may be an old clip but I wonder if Mr. Iveson has changed his mind.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/page...?id=6442524112
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

^ He's said he's not running again for council. He hasn't said anything one way or another about mayor (and I've noticed that over on daveberta, people I tend to think of as "Iveson people" have been especially quick to make that distinction).
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

I think maybe someone "like" Vladimir Putin.
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...s-over-budget/
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg View Post
    You mean someone who controls most levels of government and industry through former KGB colleagues and organized crime? Or someone who creates laws that exempt themselves from corruption charges? Or someone who intimidates and eliminates media who oppose him? Or someone who retained control of the presidency by installing a puppet?

Russia is an massively corrupt authoritarian state. We don't need anybody like Putin.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    You mean someone who controls most levels of government and industry through former KGB colleagues and organized crime? Or someone who creates laws that exempt themselves from corruption charges? Or someone who intimidates and eliminates media who oppose him? Or someone who retained control of the presidency by installing a puppet?

Russia is an massively corrupt authoritarian state. We don't need anybody like Putin.
    Actually I was thinking of the Putin that puts people in charge and gives them responsibilities and if they don't perfrom the task he removes them.

That Putin.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Actually I was thinking of the Putin that puts people in charge and gives them responsibilities and if they don't perfrom the task he removes them.

That Putin.
    Not the Putin who sets up a system where notoriously corrupt businesses control all the construction and then wonders why costs spiralled out of control. I'm betting the guy Putin wants fired is being thrown under the bus so Putin can retain his image.

Russian politics makes Québec look squeaky clean. That their Olympic construction is proceeding similar to Montréal's is not a surprise.

Again, we don't need that kind of politics.

That Putin.
    Not the Putin who sets up a system where notoriously corrupt businesses control all the construction and then wonders why costs spiralled out of control. I'm betting the guy Putin wants fired is being thrown under the bus so Putin can retain his image.

Russian politics makes Québec look squeaky clean. That their Olympic construction is proceeding similar to Montréal's is not a surprise.

Again, we don't need that kind of politics.
    No politics intended here. The guy heading up the Olympic construction for the games in Russia went over budget.

Putin fired him.

More of a lesson in fiscal economics rather than politics wouldn't you say?

You can of course continue with your diatribe about the politics in Russia if that's where you wish to push this thread if you wish.

Did i miss the memo when edmonton became moscow?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagnoblade View Post
    Did i miss the memo when edmonton became moscow?
    Nope, you did however miss the lesson on Tongue in Cheek humor. TIC

No politics intended here. The guy heading up the Olympic construction for the games in Russia went over budget.

Putin fired him.

More of a lesson in fiscal economics rather than politics wouldn't you say?

You can of course continue with your diatribe about the politics in Russia if that's where you wish to push this thread if you wish.
    My point is simply that Putin heads a corrupt state. He is telling the Russian Olympic Committee to fire someone who's behaviour isn't remotely out of line with what Putin routinely allows. Putin is going after this guy primarily because he's bad for Putin's image not because of the money. When those kinds of overruns occur out of the media in Russia everyone buys a new dacha and has a party.

I have no problem with the concept of holding people responsible but your example is a horrible one. Having spent a lot of time studying history I've noticed that it's generally very dangerous when people like Putin are celebrated for anything. However, as this is a side issue to thread so I'll leave it there.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Seriously? TIC aside, the discussion on Putin ends now in this thread as it is now Run To Ground (RTG). Take the Putin conversation eslewhere.

Now worth putin the Admin out of shape over

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I prefer my putin with gravy, cheese curds, and maybe vinegar. Mayo is just too much fat.

OK, I couldn't resist. Back to topic now please!

Damn it! Now I'm hungry.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

While I refuse to add names to the poll as it interferes with the integrity of the Staples article that started this thread, I have created another option for those who need to express their opinion.

You can now vote None of the Above.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Better yet,

To vote for a current sitting councillor, go to this thread (click here) Votes only, no comments. Comment back in this thead.

Also, do you want to see Mayor Mandel run again. Click here to vote.

That hopefully should appease those here wanting more options.

I have also opened these 2 polls for our lurking guests to post their opinion on.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Given the other polls, I froze the one in this thread.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

It is an interesting development in the thread on sitting councillors running for mayor.

What I see in the voting on the split between the user called "Confirmed/Registered User" (aka regulars) and "Unconfirmed User/Guest" is rather interesting.

There are roughly equal numbers of registered users voting for Iveson, Krushell, with slightly less voting for the "no one" option and Leibovici.

Krushell has a lead on the "guest" vote

This is making for some interesting demographic discussions as to the regular v guest users, and potentially those who rally to social media.

I am very interested to see how this weighs out in the end..Registered user's patterns vs Guests. This is especially true with some of the comments in this thread saying that "most people" in this thread supported one candidate. That seems to be proven a bit untrue from the Registered side, in fact, the vote is pretty split.

C2E Super Addict

If Diotte can get these sort of numbers in a C2E poll (haters gonna hate), he'll walk it if he actually stands.

C2E Posting Power

Personally I hope Mandel sticks around until the arena, Millwoods LRT, and airport lands redevelopment start construction (or at least have serious traction). They're sort of his legacies, and it'd be nice to have him see them through.

there is a poll showing that whether if Mandel stays or retire

scroll down and take a look at the voting results

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...332/story.html

C2E SME

I hope, whoever is elected, that they recognize the growth pressures and challenges that Edmonton has had.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators 63 View Post
    there is a poll showing that whether if Mandel stays or retire

scroll down and take a look at the voting results

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...332/story.html
    At this time 47% say retire, 52% say run again. Would have though it would have been a wider spread than that with most people asking him to run again. I don't agree with everything Mayor Mandel does (or says) but at this point in Edmonton's history he is the best person to keep the city going forward and to keep the momentum he has started.

Well let's hope he keeps going. Out of the potential aformentioned candidates, there is no one who has demonstrated close to his level of quality of vision or leadership.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

I hope he runs again, he has so much to see finished.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Snagged me a ticket for the State of the City, looking forward to what his plans are.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

He's left behind enough legacies.. time to move on.

Hope the next guy isn't as much funded by big development as Mandel is/was.. same to some of City Council.

Would you announce you're retiring to a packed room hanging on your every word?
    www.decl.org

Live video of Mandel's speech at 12:40 pm:

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1
    www.decl.org

I love our Mayor!!

and I love the regional/provincial/federal smackdown he is delivering!!
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Can someone give cliff notes? I'm not able to listen at work today... too busy.

No Answer today
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Right...

No answer

Too many if's is the theme of the speech.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

His speech sounded like he was jumping into Provincial politics......

^doesn't it.

Choice words for the Province on funding.
    www.decl.org

His speech sounded like he was jumping into Provincial politics......
    That's the first thing I thought too when I first read what he said. I hope he does.... 3 years from now
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

^4...
    www.decl.org

I think Nenshi will be running of a platform of getting the City Charters done. If Mandel were to run again, I think he would be as well. (but I don't think he'll run again).
    www.decl.org

My boss was there at Mandel's speech and he said Mandel did not say anything at all, so looks like he will be back for 4 th term ??

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    looks like he will be back for 4 th term ??
    I hope.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I read that he's 67? Looks like he's still in his 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    I think Nenshi will be running of a platform of getting the City Charters done. If Mandel were to run again, I think he would be as well. (but I don't think he'll run again).
    the charters are close to being finished... the issue is they do not go far enough

Could an issue be: There's still 100 million needed for the arena, and he wants to get that sorted out before it's an election issue? Especially when Iveson, a potential front runner has been quite opposed to the arena project.

he is opposed to the funding framework.. not the arena

Right, but do you think that they're going to renegotiate the framework at this point? The current framework = the arena

^ Don is smart enough to reconize the work and will of past council.. He isn't Rob Ford.

If he became mayor he would work from where we are now.

Iveson has stated publicly he is very supportive of the arena project. He just thought the funding framework could have been better. Please read his blog posts:

http://www.doniveson.ca/2013/01/24/a...e-and-move-on/
    www.decl.org

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Nosirrah View Post
    I don't/!!!

History says outsider not likely to win mayors seat in 2013

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...686/story.html

Partially Addicted to C2E

Hard to believe, but the G&M published an article about the mayor of a major city in Alberta, and it's not Naheed Nenshi.

Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel’s next act

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle11181424/

^Moahunter is going to be devastated
    be offended! figure out why later...