View Poll Results: Current Councillors, who is your choice to make a bid for the Mayor's Chair?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linda Sloan

3 1.26%
  • Kim Krushell

41 17.23%
  • Dave Loken

1 0.42%
  • Ed Gibbons

0 0%
  • Karen Leibovici

30 12.61%
  • Jane Batty

0 0%
  • Tony Caterina

0 0%
  • Ben Henderson

8 3.36%
  • Bryan Anderson

3 1.26%
  • Don Iveson

46 19.33%
  • Kerry Diotte

81 34.03%
  • Amarjeet Sohi

3 1.26%
  • Undecided

4 1.68%
  • No one on this list. Will wait for external candidates

18 7.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If Mayor Mandel does not run, who out of the sitting councillors is preferred by you?

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default If Mayor Mandel does not run, who out of the sitting councillors is preferred by you?

The premise:

After there were some that complained that "their choice" was not listed, I have created this poll to allow you to express your thoughts. David more than likely took his information from sources that let him know who has been looking for donations, support and who have publicly mused about running.

Given the outcry of some, this poll is simply placed here to have you show your support for any councillor - announced or not - as your current choice to make a run for Mayor.

As always, there are options for undecided and for those who would vote for an external or anyone but someone sitting.

Also, while some have announced their intention not to run again, you may use your vote to show support for their years of service and your belief that they would make a good mayor.

Who you voted for will not be revealed.

Please, use this thread to vote only as I would like to keep it clean and easy to just simply look at the poll results. Comments and discussions can take place back in the Staples thread. Click here for that thread.

I will unapprove all comments in this thread for that reason.

Candidate names are listed in Ward number order, from 1 - 12, not in any order of C2E preference or priority.

CLICK HERE for the poll on Mayor Mandel's potential decision.

***NOTE***

This poll in no way constitutes a scientific study, shows firm support for any one candidate, nor professes to express the confirmed desires or trends of Edmonton voters. This only expresses the opinion of those who voted on this topic given the parameters of the poll.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Poll is closed. I will pull out the final combined (guest and registered users) vs registered only numbers later.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Mayor Mandel expected to retire on Tuesday

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Mayor...156/story.html

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I would like it if Krushell ran, but I don't think she will, and I'm not sure she would win even if she did.

I think I would prefer Leibovici. She seems to me to be the closest politically to that of Mandel and would continue on with what he has managed to do over the last 9 years in the Mayor's chair.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Long Term Contributor

It's official, Mandel not running again.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I want to thank Mandel for his service. It's been good to work with you and you have contributed a lot to Edmonton. Now we just need to have other candidates step forward so that Kerry Diotte isn't the next mayor. C'mon, Edmonton. Don't fall for his fakery. Edmonton with Diotte as mayor would be a disaster, with the most disfunctional city council you can imagine. It would be a horror story. I urge everyone to get behind some other candidate, whether it's Karen L., Iveson or someone else. Anyone else. The poll result that shows Diotte winning concerns me a lot. I hope that Mandel throws his power behind another candidate, and I think he will support someone else.
    Last edited by MoneyGuy; 21-05-2013 at 12:27 PM.

+2

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
    I want to thank Mandel for his service. It's been good to work with you and you have contributed a lot to Edmonton. Now we just need to have other candidates step forward so that Kerry Diotte isn't the next mayor. C'mon, Edmonton. Don't fall for his fakery. Edmonton with Diotte as mayor would be a disaster, with the most disfunctional city council you can imagine. It would be a horror story. I urge everyone to get behind some other candidate, whether it's Karen L., Iveson or someone else. Anyone else. The poll result that shows Diotte winning concerns me a lot. I hope that Mandel throws his power behind another candidate, and I think he will support someone else.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Very sad to see him go. A great man who I very much admire and revere as a politician and as a human being. He was always someone I've looked up to and had the pleasure of trading visions of what the city will be like decades from now.
    On that note, I hope there is a candidate who can step up, that shares his vision and ability to build consensus on council.

Edit: Also gotta give him props for rocking the bow tie better than anyone since Lester B Pearson.
    Last edited by mnugent; 21-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Had the feeling for a longtime that Mandel was done as soon as he pushed his legacy project through. I think the only thing that would have him continue is if the arena project was somehow threatened in his absence.

But last week his parting shots about Diotte (Seemed to me exactly like some parting exit type blows) clearly signalled he was on the way out. I don't know that Mandel makes those comments about an adversary if he plans on running again. It just seemed like he was candid, didn't care what he said, and knew he wouldn't be dealing with the aftermath or paying for it later.

I think its time. Overall I've liked Mandel but as much as being a builder his legacy will be building an enormous, unprecedented civic debt never seen here before and odd indeed from someone who arguably gained public office on fiscal conservative stance and misgivings about the cost of the new City Hall.

By his own count Mandel changed views dramatically. But who's to say which view is right.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Diotte will win and be the next mayor. Barring any major political calamity between now and then.

Not saying he should, or that he would be my preferred choice, but he will be the choice from the electorate and the plurality of people that felt not listened to on the arena.

The pendulum will undoubtedly swing to fiscal conservative after years of spending that increased our civic debt 2.5B. This being even more predictable given how little there is to show for the debt squandered and that the arena and some funded projects that resulted in the debt won't see fruition for a few years.

Without the tangible results of much of the spending it really leverages voter opinion to stop the spending. At least for the next election.

Diotte could end up being a one term mayor but I don't see anybody beating him.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

It just seemed like he was candid, didn't care what he said,
    If you know the mayor well, this is actually part of his personality. I think he normally tones it down for the public. I once sat in a private meeting with him where he made some fairly defamatory comments about a local land owner (I will not repeat those comments here, as I know there were in jest, but still very inappropriate... but funny as hell!) That's just his style
    Parkdale

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Diotte will win and be the next mayor. Barring any major political calamity between now and then.
    I think Diotte will get a lot of votes, but depending on who is running against him, he could come in second or third if another candidate comes up the middle.

After all, back in 2004, everyone expected either Bill Smith or Robert Noce to be elected mayor. But Mandel, who was expected to be the 3rd guy, came out of nowhere and surprised everyone with the most votes.

It will be an interesting election this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I think Diotte will get a lot of votes, but depending on who is running against him, he could come in second or third if another candidate comes up the middle.

After all, back in 2004, everyone expected either Bill Smith or Robert Noce to be elected mayor. But Mandel, who was expected to be the 3rd guy, came out of nowhere and surprised everyone with the most votes.

It will be an interesting election this fall.
    FWIW I voted Mandel in that election and everytime since and expected him to win. Noce would have been the worst choice and everybody was tired of Bill Smith.

New vision doesn't always mean progressive, it often means bounceback correction. One of the difficulties in the Mandel cannon is that theres been little if any fiscal restraint.

Diotte has cleverly put himself firmly in position to credit from that. He'll get the regressive conservative win.

Iveson, a better candidate, potentially screwed up by voting for the arena budget debt despite his ongoing stance of opposing it. In the end this makes him look wishy washy and unpredictable on the fiscal side.

This time next year folks will be asking, Kerry Who?

My inner radar tells me Mandel has likely already been working with someone he'd be happy to fully support as a replacement (no pun intended poster).

Besides, if pollsters actually decided elections, Adrian Dix would be Premier of B.C. - having hissing matches with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith

... gobsmacked

The only way Diotte will become the next mayor is if the more progressive vote is split between multiple candidates. replacement all this about unprecedented civic debt is BS. Maybe unprecedented to Edmonton but I can point at more than a few very successful cities that heavily leverage debt and they are doing VERY WELL. You have to look at what the debt has been used on... we BUILT a city with it and as the press points out.. Almost every dollar spent represents 1-2 dolalrs of matching money from the prov and the feds.

The cost of NOT spending/borrowing that money would have been MUCH higher...
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 21-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    It just seemed like he was candid, didn't care what he said,
    If you know the mayor well, this is actually part of his personality. I think he normally tones it down for the public. I once sat in a private meeting with him where he made some fairly defamatory comments about a local land owner (I will not repeat those comments here, as I know there were in jest, but still very inappropriate... but funny as hell!) That's just his style
    Oh I certainly know Mandel can be ascerbic.

Plenty of instances of that. But not usually to direct political foes that he would be running against although I could stand to be corrected on that. More often he appears to be barking at other levels of govt and business and industry. On the latter point Mandels bridge building is vastly over rated. He may have had the support of city council. But I wonder how much he's loved in all circles when he calls the business community cowards. Not saying he's wrong either, but that Mandel when angry doesn't pick his spots and comments very well.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    This time next year folks will be asking, Kerry Who?

My inner radar tells me Mandel has likely already been working with someone he'd be happy to fully support as a replacement (no pun intended poster).

Besides, if pollsters actually decided elections, Adrian Dix would be Premier of B.C. - having hissing matches with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith

the whole board shudders collectively.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    The only way Diotte will become the next mayor is if the more progressive vote is split between multiple candidates. replacement all this about unprecedented civic debt is BS. Maybe unprecedented to Edmonton but I can point at more than a few very successful cities that heavily leverage debt and they are doing VERY WELL. You have to look at what the debt has been used on... we BUILT a city with it and as the press points out.. Almost every dollar spent represents 1-2 dolalrs of matching money from the prov and the feds.

Where do we disagree? I stated specifically unprecedented for Edmonton.

I'm also on the fence as to the spending right or wrong and stated as much. Wasn't sure which Mandel vision was correct.

Trouble with comparing this to other cities is that other cities that have profited from this nature of civic spending boom have had the business interests on side to much more than match. What remains to be seen in Edmonton is how many of those local big business "cowards" (Mandel's words, not mine) end up stepping up to the plate in the final push. Somewhat strange, and I dare say illogical, for Mandel to believe one thing, and then another, at the same time. For instance that it doesn't logically follow that business reticence will result in massive building starts and CRL.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.

I will be voting for the strongest candidate who is not Diotte, even though I may or may not politically agree with them. Diotte would be a disaster on the scale, but obviously not as bad, as Rob Ford in Toronto.

Also seeing as he will be the Wildrose-backed candidate doesn't hurt in making my decision either.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Diotte will win and be the next mayor.
    Oh, man!! I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Oh, man!! I hope not.
    Unfortunately I've been sharp on predicting some recent and past election results.

Mandel Wins, Stelmach Win, backing Redford to win PC leader, then Redford to win election, Wildrose collapse, Christy Clark to win election, NDP to do well in federal election under Mulcair, liberal collapse, PQ collapse in federal election, Harper win etc.

Not sure why but I seem to gauge the pulse better than the polls, not that the latter is saying much.

ps

heres the age old problem in NA generated across many studies, voter apathy amongst the young. Basically spitting, talking, messaging and spending all day being connected and informed but disconnecting on the most important political moments. A real shame. But one to blame.

http://elections.ca/content.aspx?sec...eport38&lang=e

In the US they had the same problem but the youth vote got out long enough to support Obama a couple of times. But it took generational disgust with the Bush administrations to empower that voter turnout.

http://politicalarithmetik.blogspot....and-votes.html

I encourage people to get out there and prove me wrong and vote. But voting for anybody but Diotte doesn't get there either. The likelihood is that a couple candidates will be running a carry on the Mandel torch banner. I don't see more fiscal conservatives on board unless Diotte, Caterina, and Iverson head off at the pass. The reality is that more status quo candidates likely appear rather than more anti candidates. Especially given that Mandel was incumbent who never got voted out. Candidates will attempt to play that tune. Not Diotte.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.

The mayor has but one vote - so (s)he needs a compelling, persuasive vision. Diotte's vision is neither

If he wins, I see the same 10-3 split, just with the Mayor continually on the wrong side.

On the other hand, if he loses, maybe we'll see more 11-2 splits.
    ... gobsmacked

Oh, man!! I hope not.
    OH NO, there goes the neighborhood

Where do we disagree? I stated specifically unprecedented for Edmonton.

I'm also on the fence as to the spending right or wrong and stated as much. Wasn't sure which Mandel vision was correct.

Trouble with comparing this to other cities is that other cities that have profited from this nature of civic spending boom have had the business interests on side to much more than match. What remains to be seen in Edmonton is how many of those local big business "cowards" (Mandel's words, not mine) end up stepping up to the plate in the final push. Somewhat strange, and I dare say illogical, for Mandel to believe one thing, and then another, at the same time. For instance that it doesn't logically follow that business reticence will result in massive building starts and CRL.
    replacement.. you don't build long term infrastructure with cash on hand, not when you can borrow at 3%.

New Infrastructure and major refurbishment of it should be done via borrowing and paid off over it's life span. The day to day running of the city needs to be done with cash on hand. This city did NOTHING for 2+ decades... Our 2 Billion in debt (which is only about 50% of our max debt load) is proof of what happens when you defer your responsibilities to maintain current infrastructure and proof that Alberta just pushed is debt and responsibilities down or offloaded it's liabilities onto pvt business.

We were never a debt free province as we have MASSIVE infrastructure debt.

As for the business community, there are a number of players in the area that contribute next to nothing locally as well as some superstars. I am sure you will find this everywhere. What you won't find everywhere is someone willing to challenge the norm or call people out on things. Our mayor does this... and rightly so. The superstars know they are superstars. The stantecs, the PCL's do a lot and they know it. The fence sitters like CWB (who should be WAY more visible), Insurance companies, brokers, industrial. need a huge push. Look at the money Calgary leverages. We have a sim sized regional market. They need a boot to remind them who builds this province and keeps it working. Calgary may balance the books but we get er done.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 21-05-2013 at 06:27 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Too bad I couldn't vote on this poll here , but I don't say who I would vote for the Mayor here.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Care to make an avatar wager on that, Rep? I think the electorate will see through his phonyism. If you're right, be prepared for the worst council ever. No exaggeration. His colleagues dislike him tensely and it would be a disaster.

This is what scares me. Depending on who is running, Diotte could be the candidate who comes up the middle and become the next mayor of Edmonton.

Suppose any two of these names are on the mayoralty ballot along with Diotte:

Iveson
    Krushell
    Leibovici
    Sohi

It's not far-fetched the above candidates would split the vote to allow "fiscal hawk" Diotte to be voted in as mayor.

Care to make an avatar wager on that, Rep? I think the electorate will see through his phonyism. If you're right, be prepared for the worst council ever. No exaggeration. His colleagues dislike him tensely and it would be a disaster.
    haha, not like I'm cheering the guy on or anything. I prefer betting on things I want to have happen. Or betting against things I don't.

That said If I'm wrong I'll wear a slightly uglier non-avatar then I have on now sir. and you?

As well don't be surprised if a few others are turfed out of council. Who knows who we have in the next term.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

This is what scares me. Depending on who is running, Diotte could be the candidate who comes up the middle and become the next mayor of Edmonton.

Suppose any two of these names are on the mayoralty ballot along with Diotte:

Iveson
    Krushell
    Leibovici
    Sohi

It's not far-fetched the above candidates would split the vote to allow "fiscal hawk" Diotte to be voted in as mayor.
    Yep.

Theres a much greater chance as I stated of 3 of the bolded running then 3 anti status quo campaigns competing. But I disagree with Iveson who comes across as fiscal conservative himself. He could split some votes with Diotte if he ran. But if I'm Iveson I know I'm not ready and I spend one more term as Alderman and then I figure he's mayor next go round if he continues his solid work.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-05-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I think I'll move back to Edmonton just to vote against Diotte.

Quote Originally Posted by Esk Fan View Post
    I think I'll move back to Edmonton just to vote against Diotte.
    That's not necessary. Do what I'm doing - work behind the scenes by telling everyone you know who lives in Edmonton the truth about Diotte. You tell 10 friends, have them tell 10 friends and on and on it goes. That's how you defeat the dolt.

C2E SME

I think I'd support the campaign of the mayoral candidate that's into marijuana. He'd take a few votes away from Diottte.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

For what it's worth, Kerry Diotte is well back in fourth place in the Journal's reader poll. Don Iveson is in first
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ns-next-mayor/

PS. If you want to vote and avoid the pay wall, just stop the page load before the pay wall pops up
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

C2E SME

One thing with Diotte challenging, I'm sure there will be more people voting in the fall election.

^ what makes ya think that?

The grey hairs always vote. If anything, with someone like Don appealing to young people, he will bring in a demographic that normally isn't represented.

^ In recent elections I can see people not voting because Mandel was a shoe-in to win. Now that he is retiring, the mayoralty race is wide open thus more people will be inclined to "make their vote count".

Although Mandel won by a near landslide last election, he wasn't considered a shoe-in. I heard many people voting just to make sure one of those "crazy muni airport guys" doesn't get in and backtrack his city.

I'v heard from some people with connections that Caterina is contemplating throwing his hat in the ring too.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post
    I'v heard from some people with connections that Caterina is contemplating throwing his hat in the ring too.
    well if he does, hopefully he'll give up his council seat so we'll never have to see him again when he loses

Quote Originally Posted by Montrosian View Post
    For what it's worth, Kerry Diotte is well back in fourth place in the Journal's reader poll. Don Iveson is in first

PS. If you want to vote and avoid the pay wall, just stop the page load before the pay wall pops up
    IMO i think that if Don Iveson was mayor it would be almost as bad for the city as Diotte (we would have a lot more bike lanes though )
    be offended! figure out why later...

And if/when the Sun does the same poll, Diotte will be in front. Different audience.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Maybe I'm over estimating the electorate, but I can't see Diotte winning this thing. When it's all said and done, I think enough people will see through the facade and fakery that is Kerry Diotte and will vote for other candidates. I sure hope I'm right because I fear for Edmonton's future under this dolt.

Hey, would those of you who use a ^ to indicate a previous post, why not use the quote-post feature so we know what the **** post you're actually referring to without guesswork?

Back on topic, everyone here who dislikes Diotte can help to defeat him by talking to others - as many as you can. Encourage them to support a different candidate, and to actually vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

And if/when the Sun does the same poll, Diotte will be in front. Different audience.
    It is, but its also an online poll. Which arguably does more to skew demographics then which paper it is. For instance that an older audience reads print editions of the papers, not the online version as much. So this poll is selecting for a subset of Journal readers only. This being noteworthy as the poll by virtue of being online selects against the people most likely to vote in an election.

^^

Moneyguy,

I find the quote function here messy as its default setup to quote not only the post you responded to but often in an exchange can cascade 20 other subquotes within a quote making the whole thing a readable mess.

The Quote function here doesn't operate the same as that other board..

Caterina and Diotte can split the crazy vote.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I think that it's worth noting that Diotte is getting a lot of early support from the anti-arena crowd because of his stance against the project while on Council.

I wonder how many of those people will end up voting for him in the end once they find out that his stated position on the arena with regards to his Mayoral campaign is that the issue is dead and that he would not attempt to revisit it if elected.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I was told that Diotte came across poorly while being interviewed on the radio today.. 630 ched i think.

C2E Posting Power

Angry

^^

Moneyguy,

I find the quote function here messy as its default setup to quote not only the post you responded to but often in an exchange can cascade 20 other subquotes within a quote making the whole thing a readable mess.

Replacement......Could you please delete that stupid moniker of yours with the guy hitting another on the head. It is annoying as hell. I find your posts are usually interesting and provide a different perspective from others on this site, BUT of recent I have stopped reading your posts because of that annoying moniker....................

^^

Moneyguy,

not to get off topic but to quote properly just remove the quote tags from around the items you dont want quoted
    these
    [QU_OTE=Replacement;520889]

unwanted message here

[/QU_OTE]

those underscores should not be there, just in there so it is readable.
    be offended! figure out why later...

I overheard my friend's dad say that he's voting for Diotte so he can "overturn that stupid arena".

I overheard my friend's dad say that he's voting for Diotte so he can "overturn that stupid arena".
    Wanna bet that Diotte's people won't go out of their way to tell people like him that that won't happen under Diotte?
    Last edited by ScottieA; 22-05-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

^^

Moneyguy,

Nothing against you, but I ignore posts with ^^^s. if you want people to read your stuff, make it easy for them to do so. I appreciate the content of your posts, but I skip those ones. Sorry. I'm not the only one who does this either.

I'm in a meeting today with area councillors and we're talking about this over lunch. There are no Edmonton councillors in the room. The consensus is Diotte has little chance. He's a fluff candidate and is a long shot, at best. Don't put your money on the goof.

Wanna bet that Diotte's people won't go out of their way to tell people like him that that won't happen?
    Joke will be on them if he gets elected. Arena will be built, and nothing else. Basically the polar opposite of what anyone voting for him wants. Sadly his supporters likely aren't smart enough to understand that logic.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Wanna bet that Diotte's people won't go out of their way to tell people like him that that won't happen?
    Joke will be on them if he gets elected. Arena will be built, and nothing else. Basically the polar opposite of what anyone voting for him wants. Sadly his supporters likely aren't smart enough to understand that logic.
    Ture

And he seems to be associated with the Wildrose, a group of people who think that they're really good at campaigning just because they have success at organizing campaigns at the Federal level. Even though, you could probably run a Baboon as a CPC candidate in Alberta and win. Just look at how much they "helped" in the last civic election. So he may not even win at that.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 22-05-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

It will be an interesting election year. Kerry is only good for sound bites. For someone whose main platform seemed to be about potholes, the roads are sure better after his 3 years on Council (tongue in cheek comment).

Don Iveson might be an interesting choice, assuming he officially joins the Mayor's race. He appears to be intelligent, well spoken and has the ability to gather consensus.

Amarjeet Sohi might be another interesting choice however he appears (to me anyways) to be more in the background. I can't tell you what his vision is other than transit.

Can't really comment on any of the other Councillors that might take a run at the Mayor's chair. I'll have wait and see who comes out of the woodwork.

Any councillors running for mayor will have to think carefully how good their chances are of getting the job. If they do not win they are out of a job. I think there are a few on council who are career politicians and they would not want to run the risk.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

it's unlikely that the people who say they support him will actually get up off their couches and drive to the closest suburban polling station.

C2E SME

The way Diotte could get elected is by the non-voters. Apathy leads to some politicians being elected by default.

Addicted to C2E

well if he does, hopefully he'll give up his council seat so we'll never have to see him again when he loses
    I feel the same way about Sohi. That way, Ward 12 might end up with someone other than a yes-man for the Mayor who might actually do something for the ward.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post

Replacement......Could you please delete that stupid moniker of yours with the guy hitting another on the head. It is annoying as hell. I find your posts are usually interesting and provide a different perspective from others on this site, BUT of recent I have stopped reading your posts because of that annoying moniker....................
    Sorry bout that. done.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I feel the same way about Sohi. That way, Ward 12 might end up with someone other than a yes-man for the Mayor who might actually do something for the ward.
    Outside of his ward I don't know who would vote for him. Aside from what you've said and from his views on transit, I don't think voters will feel they know enough about him and what his vision is. Even if he does a great job of making his vision know and getting the word out, I still think he would be too much of an unknown for most people. IMO he should sit on council for another term and take that time to become more of a recognizable figure on council

I heard there is facebook page that Don Iveson is being endorsed for the mayor's chair but he haven't ruled out yet.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    I heard there is facebook page that Don Iveson is being endorsed for the mayor's chair but he haven't ruled out yet.
    I believe Don's plan is to retire from being a Councillor. If he continues in Municipal politics it will be from the Mayor's chair. We'll see what his announcement is in a few weeks.

If Iveson ran I think he would wipe the floor with Diotte.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Any idea who the youngest mayor of Edmonton has been?

Edit: Answered my own question: Griesbach. He was 28 when elected, but resigned after a year.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 23-05-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

William Griesbach became Mayor at age 28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...yors_in_Canada
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

If Iveson ran I think he would wipe the floor with Diotte.
    He could, unless the vote gets split between him and other capable candidates. I hope he's having some back-room discussions with other forward thinking councilors to hopefully prevent that situation from occurring.

Out of all the councillors if Iveson ran he would get my vote.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

First One is Always Free

Ture

And he seems to be associated with the Wildrose, a group of people who think that they're really good at campaigning just because they have success at organizing campaigns at the Federal level. Even though, you could probably run a Baboon as a CPC candidate in Alberta and win. Just look at how much they "helped" in the last civic election. So he may not even win at that.
    Diotte was quite clear with the media scrum after his announcement that the arena deal will go through because it is a done deal and the City is now bound to it. He doesn't agree with it but has acknowledged the vote and it will proceed. So yes, he has in fact advised the public on that topic.

Second, how can he be "associated with the Wildrose, a group of people who think that they're really good at campaigning just because they have success at organizing campaigns at the Federal level" when there is no Wildrose at the federal level? You all may think you know where Diotte stands on a party level but most of you are uninformed on that and simply making assumptions that only Wildrose or Conservatives support him. I for one am a Liberal and I support him 100%.

Read this blog...or don't...it doesn't really matter but at least you may learn something instead of making continued assumptions.

http://www.gigcity.ca/2013/05/16/com...-for-edmonton/

I am sorry.. but by the simple fact that Kerry has tried to whip up a frenzy over the arena and is happy to use it as a wedge issue but NOT DO ANYTHIG ABOUT IT is exactly why I would never vote for him.

Even Don realized we WILL NOT get a "better" deal.

First One is Always Free

I am sorry.. but by the simple fact that Kerry has tried to whip up a frenzy over the arena and is happy to use it as a wedge issue but NOT DO ANYTHIG ABOUT IT is exactly why I would never vote for him.

Diotte never used it as a wedge issue. That is simply your opinion. When the deal completely changed, he, along with a couple others, stood up and asked the questions and fought for a better deal for Edmonton tax payers. He never wavered from that point on and still doesn't believe it was the best deal but the deal is done and he accepts he lost that battle.

Don on the other hand was one who did agree the deal was not fair to tax payers then flipped his vote to fall in line because he follows Mandel's lead when push comes to shove as he and others tend to do over and over. He can't stand his own ground. He can't even announce without Mandel making a decision first despite announcing he wouldn't run for Ward again. Who wants a follower for a leader? Of course that is my opinion on Don Iveson.
    Last edited by trmpt; 23-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trmpt View Post
    Second, how can he be "associated with the Wildrose, a group of people who think that they're really good at campaigning just because they have success at organizing campaigns at the Federal level" when there is no Wildrose at the federal level? You all may think you know where Diotte stands on a party level but most of you are uninformed on that and simply making assumptions that only Wildrose or Conservatives support him. I for one am a Liberal and I support him 100%.

Read this blog...or don't...it doesn't really matter but at least you may learn something instead of making continued assumptions.
    I am aware that there is no Wildrose at the federal level.

What I was referencing is the fact that the Wildrose Party apparatus and organization is made up of a large number federal Conservatives who have worked on federal campaigns for years. Danielle Smith's Press Secretary (and former Senate candidate) was a CPC National Councillor for a long period of time even. I can name a bunch more if you want.

How do I know this? Well I was involved with the federal Conservatives for a long period of time (but I am NOT a Wildroser), so I know these people.

There was also a number of WRP STAFFERS at Diotte's campaign announcement. While the WRP won't be officially helping Diotte, you better believe that they will unofficially pour manpower resources and effort into his campaign, including the same marketing and robodialing companies that the WRP and CPC use. Having a Wildrose-leaning mayor in place in Edmonton and Calgary (whomever their candidate will be down there) will allow them to gain a toe-hold in the big cities in time for the next provincial election.

I'm not making assumptions here.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 23-05-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

First One is Always Free

I believe the posted rumor here was there were a number of WRP standing on the back wall while Diotte announced. There were a total of about 5-7 people standing on the back wall...myself and a friend of mine included. Neither of us are WRP supporters, myself loathing them personally. So if 3 - 5 is a number of WRP, that is stretching it a bit don't you think?

Even if there were people from every party there, you are making it out like it would be the first time someone from a higher level political party supported a municipal mayoral candidate. I would assume that even you are smarter than that...

Diotte never used it as a wedge issue. That is simply your opinion. When the deal completely changed, he, along with a couple others, stood up and asked the questions and fought for a better deal for Edmonton tax payers. He never wavered from that point on and still doesn't believe it was the best deal but the deal is done and he accepts he lost that battle.

Don on the other hand was one who did agree the deal was not fair to tax payers then flipped his vote to fall in line because he follows Mandel's lead when push comes to shove as he and others tend to do over and over. He can't stand his own ground. He can't even announce without Mandel making a decision first despite announcing he wouldn't run for Ward again. Who wants a follower for a leader? Of course that is my opinion on Don Iveson.
    No he used it as a wedge issue. He supported it, then didn't.. then says it's bad, used it to get his name in the media over and over again. Now he will use it to try and drum up support but won't do anything a about it.

He has no Vision... he never contributes anything worthwhile to council that I have ever heard and he does not have the respect of the many of his colleagues.

I have listened to him time and time again pretend not to know that this council has invested heavily in road infrastructure. I have seen him create soundbites instead of offering informed decisions and I see him fan misinformation instead of advising people of facts.

He used the arena as a wedge issue... full stop.

I believe the posted rumor here was there were a number of WRP standing on the back wall while Diotte announced. There were a total of about 5-7 people standing on the back wall...myself and a friend of mine included. Neither of us are WRP supporters, myself loathing them personally. So if 3 - 5 is a number of WRP, that is stretching it a bit don't you think?

Even if there were people from every party there, you are making it out like it would be the first time someone from a higher level political party supported a municipal mayoral candidate. I would assume that even you are smarter than that...
    Do you really think that any person who takes the mayor chair won't have their failings... we have seen a year of Kerrie's. Do you really think that he will magically change over night and become a person who unites council and can be an intelligent figurehead for this city. We now have relationships with major Chineese cities that MUST be maintained. do you feel Kerry is that person. I don't.

I see no depth to the man what so ever. All he knows is the media and how to use it. As for his announcement to run. I saw the crowd, it was hardly rousing. There were a lot of grey haired men and very few young people.

This is not the man who will move Edm forward... this is the man that will keep it exactly the same as it is now.

First One is Always Free

No he used it as a wedge issue. He supported it, then didn't.. then says it's bad, used it to get his name in the media over and over again. Now he will use it to try and drum up support but won't do anything a about it.

He has no Vision... he never contributes anything worthwhile to council that I have ever heard and he does not have the respect of the many of his colleagues.

I have listened to him time and time again pretend not to know that this council has invested heavily in road infrastructure. I have seen him create soundbites instead of offering informed decisions and I see him fan misinformation instead of advising people of facts.

He used the arena as a wedge issue... full stop.
    Again, that is your opinion and interpretation. I believe his job as an elected official is to stand up and demand better for the tax payers who elected him. At least Diotte was consistent when the deal changed, so did his vote because the deal turned into a completely different monster and he stood by that with others on Council saying exactly the same thing. Don Iveson on the other hand said it was a good deal then a bad deal then agreed again and flip flopped his way through the whole thing. An indecisive follower does not make a good leader by any stretch. Had Don stuck by his guns and continued to vote against the funding model, being he touts himself as a fiscally responsible person, I might have more respect for him.

We will have to agree to disagree on this though.

BTW - I don't see Iveson with any vision either other than bike lanes.

bike lanes is more of a vision that Diotte has ever had.

^ your job aas an elected official is to represent. You are selected to make choices. Sometimes those choices will have a negative effect on the tax payer, but its for the long term betterment of the city/region as a whole.

From CBC

However, when Diotte was asked about his running agenda, he deferred to answer, saying he wasn’t big on platforms.

Instead, he has promised to “listen” to Edmontonians.

-end-

He even admits he has no vision.

Who says I love Don... you are going to make your candidate look better by trashing others. I am sorry but stick to the subject.

Tell me how someone who has been fairly caustic during his term is magically going to be a great rep for the city and bring council and the region together.

Tell me how someone like kerry is going to represent this city to the prov and fed gov't how he will manage our international partnerships. When he can't even create or communicate his idea of what Edmonton will look like 10-15 years down the road.

Believe it or not the ball has already started rolling on a Long term funding plan for road rehabilitation much like the program that is currently going for neighborhood rehabilitation. If you listen to council meetings Edmonton has barely been able to keep pace with growth demands, but it has invested more into roads and major instructive than any other council of the last 20-30 years.

The truth is you are electing someone who won't say what he is going to do and simply is riding the coat tails of an arena deal that is grossly misunderstood and one of the worst freeze thaw cycles we have ever had.

Thanks.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 23-05-2013 at 05:42 PM.

First One is Always Free

Do you really think that any person who takes the mayor chair won't have their failings... we have seen a year of Kerrie's. Do you really think that he will magically change over night and become a person who unites council and can be an intelligent figurehead for this city. We now have relationships with major Chineese cities that MUST be maintained. do you feel Kerry is that person. I don't.

I see no depth to the man what so ever. All he knows is the media and how to use it. As for his announcement to run. I saw the crowd, it was hardly rousing. There were a lot of grey haired men and very few young people.

This is not the man who will move Edm forward... this is the man that will keep it exactly the same as it is now.
    Every person in every aspect of life will have their failings. That is a fact of life as no one is perfect. And yes, I feel that Kerry has the ability to maintain relationships with important people. I don't see him burning bridges at every turn throwing a tantrum on the 6pm news because he didn't get what he wanted like Mandel has done time and time again. I see him being able to maintain his cool and work with people. I see him as having common sense.

You say Diotte uses the media? Like Mandel never has used situations to his advantage? Come on...again, you have to be smarter than that.

Given the amount of Councillors who are rumored to throw their hat in for mayor, coupled with the fact that some others are standing on shaky ground in their own wards, we could end up with a fairly new Council which I think is great for the city. Who's to say all the new faces won't work well with Diotte? You can't say they won't just as much as I can't say they will. That will become evident after the election.

I believe, given your post on the now closed support Diotte thread that you saw a picture of the room and weren't actually there. That picture was taken well before the announcement given I stated in response to you on the other thread that I walked in the room at 2:59, just before Diotte arrived and all chairs were full and it was a very good mix of young, middle aged and old.

Again, we will have to agree to disagree. It is evident that you have made your assumptions and interpretations to make your decision. I have made mine. Come election day, one of us will be happy and the other will have to live with how the majority voted. All I know is this election will be a fun one to watch!

First One is Always Free

Who says I love Don... you are going to make your candidate look better by trashing others. I am sorry but stick to the subject.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that other opinions are not welcome here. You can trash Diotte but no one else can make a comment regarding their opinion or interpretation of anyone else. Got it. Thanks!

Diotte doesn't pay attention in council sessions, asks the same questions that were just answered mere minutes before. Clearly does not read agendas or minutes of council meetings, asks questions that answers are laid out simply in said minutes and agendas of council, and instead of listening in council, spends his time twittering and facebooking. rather than paying attention to the proceedings of council.

At my work, this would have you fired.

Diotte is not a leader. Diotte is a follower. Diotte can't be considered a listener either, as he doesn't have a platform. How can you vote from someone that doesn't have a platform/vision for the city? Diotte approach is repulsive. Instead of having a platform or vision for the city, he simply solicits votes by appealing to the hot button issues. he purposes thwarts the initiatives of the city administration for the purposes of his own campaign. "Dont call the city with your pothole complaint, call me, provide me with your information/email/home address so I can solicit you later for votes, and maybe I'll forward your pothole report to the place it needs.

Pure and utter garbage. I'll be glad when this election is over, Diotte will be out of council chambers, and wont be back. Good riddance.

Edmonton needs a leader. A person with vision. A person willing to take a stand for his vision. Not just some dolt who won't doesn't take the time to listen to his fellow collegues.

And it hasn't been just "evil-Mandel" that has called out Diotte. Just about every other Councillors has too, at some point.

Being mayor is about building consensus. Diottes idea is to divide and conquer. This doesn't work in council. A mayor is but one of 13 other votes.
    Last edited by Medwards; 23-05-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that other opinions are not welcome here. You can trash Diotte but no one else can make a comment regarding their opinion or interpretation of anyone else. Got it. Thanks!
    where has anyone said you can't make a comment here? Is there anyone saying you can't post your opinion? Don't mind EDP... he thinks he runs the show here... but please keep posting. I value your opinion, even if I don't agree with it (I certainly don't inregards to Mandel and Diotte), but different perspectives is what debates is all about.

Don't let EDP stiffle you.

Back up your claim that popular strong Councillors are "standing on shaky ground"

The current mayor championed BILLIONS of dollars in funding from the prov and fed gov'ts. But please explain to me who you expect Kerry to forge relationships when he can't form positive working relationships with a great number of the current Councillors.

I saw the picture that he posted of the event. Not all the chairs were full.. it's not true. and again there were few women or young people there. It was hardly a vibrant crowd and I saw no identifiable civic leaders.

Protest parties rarely come through in the end. They tend to be lacking in depth. It;s impossible to inspire confidence when all you do/say is how you are against everything... but offer NO alternative vision.

I have actually made very few assumptions. Kerry's record is there for anyone to see. His conduct in council was broadcast across the web for anyone to listen to. His "hard hitting, tough question" directed at city admin where often ill thought out and redundant.

Again you offer no explanation as to how a man, who cannot inspire his fellow team mates is going to manage these relations in the future. People don't magically change.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    where has anyone said you can't make a comment here? Is there anyone saying you can't post your opinion? Don't mind EDP... he thinks he runs the show here... but please keep posting. I value your opinion, even if I don't agree with it (I certainly don't in regards to Mandel and Diotte), but different perspectives is what debates is all about.

A I said this because this conversation is between you and I on a subject. You tried to wiggle out of hard to answer questions by deflecting to another candidate who, I am lead to feel, you think is my preferred candidate.

I am simply holding YOU accountable to the statements YOU are making.

I have yet to hear you explain how someone who can't create positive working relationships with other councilors is going to do so with the province/feds/international partners/council and how you can even think of voting for someone who can't articulate a long term vision for this city... we had decades of leaders with no vision.. we had mayors who's couldn't manage their ego and we had leaders who could not bring together council to get things done. I am not saying that Kerry is all of these but nor has he shown that his adept at doing them.

What I don't understand is how anyone can back a candidate that clearly says... they have no vision. THAT is not leadership material.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 23-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Why are you replying to me? I didn't say anything like that.

who else is included in the quote?

Diotte doesn't pay attention in council sessions, asks the same questions that were just answered mere minutes before. Clearly does not read agendas or minutes of council meetings, asks questions that answers are laid out simply in said minutes and agendas of council, and instead of listening in council, spends his time twittering and facebooking. rather than paying attention to the proceedings of council.

At my work, this would have you fired.

Diotte is not a leader. Diotte is a follower. Diotte can't be considered a listener either, as he doesn't have a platform. How can you vote from someone that doesn't have a platform/vision for the city? Diotte approach is repulsive. Instead of having a platform or vision for the city, he simply solicits votes by appealing to the hot button issues. he purposes thwarts the initiatives of the city administration for the purposes of his own campaign. "Dont call the city with your pothole complaint, call me, provide me with your information/email/home address so I can solicit you later for votes, and maybe I'll forward your pothole report to the place it needs.

Pure and utter garbage. I'll be glad when this election is over, Diotte will be out of council chambers, and wont be back. Good riddance.

Edmonton needs a leader. A person with vision. A person willing to take a stand for his vision. Not just some dolt who won't doesn't take the time to listen to his fellow collegues.

And it hasn't been just "evil-Mandel" that has called out Diotte. Just about every other Councillors has too, at some point.

Being mayor is about building consensus. Diottes idea is to divide and conquer. This doesn't work in council. A mayor is but one of 13 other votes.
    Well done. Nailed it. I hope others see him for what he is.

Well done. Nailed it. I hope others see him for what he is.
    That wasn't Medwards saying that, it was a quote of Mandel saying that. In the same rant in which he castigated Diotte saying he'd wasted 3yrs and hadn't done anything.

Not sure why anyone would take Mandel at word on this given Diotte and Mandel have had an adversarial relationship.

That was Mandel slinging, on the way out the door, and that's on Mandel.

who else is included in the quote?
    I think you're getting the quotes mixed up. I would be as confused as Medwards at why you were addressing him.

where has anyone said you can't make a comment here? Is there anyone saying you can't post your opinion? Don't mind EDP... he thinks he runs the show here... but please keep posting. I value your opinion, even if I don't agree with it (I certainly don't inregards to Mandel and Diotte), but different perspectives is what debates is all about.

A little off topic but I think important

Medwards

You and I have often vehemently disagreed and I doubt we will ever share a beer, but credit where credit is due.

The above quote is one of the best posts you have ever made and I appreciate it.

Tom

Back on topic

Something, I think, everyone should consider...

The next term is a very different game than previous years.

Multiple project of hundreds of millions, if not a few billion, of projects that are approved and underway.

The money is signed off so you might as well say spent.

These projects, particularly the Arena, have to be babysat, managed and followed through. The arena not only has those factors but to meet the CRL values required to pay for it there is a massive amount of follow up and "sales" (for lack of a better term) to get those "other" development dollars being spent in the core and deal with the cost over runs and short falls that odds are will happen.

This is very different than pushing a vision and really is the grunt work of making it happen...this is a different skill set than the vision side, takes a different set of personalities and abilities.

Yes Mayor Mandel has driven "the vision" and put the "pieces in place", but now it has to be made to happen by a new Mayor and new Council that will be dealing with the whole other side of the game.

It does not matter how good "the vision" is if we do not have a team with the qualifications to make it "happen" following it up.

Something to think about...

In my highly biased personal opinion
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 24-05-2013 at 11:32 AM.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...it is now all about delivery...

...I agree, the agenda is pretty much set. We cannot fall back into the typical trap of looking at the next shiny bauble, the next "world class" vision, or the next dream. I continually harp on this, and I know the bloggity blog bloggers and the dreamers hate this...but failure on execution is Edmonton's claim to fame. We do one off's well, but when it comes to follow through - we have a track record of dropping the ball.

Many of these projects are going to be open to changes galore, troubles, issues, and probably should get a Discovery Channel team to document as it will make a great show.

...we....need.....to.....DELIVER...

...arena...adjacent district...$$$ for CRL...complete LRT...complete transportation strategy...fix our tourism issues...deliver on economic growth...and maybe have a "come to your maker" conversation on other pet projects that need a subtle kick to the behind and a re-do.

...for we need that solid foundation of success if we want more...and delivery is hard work....it will take many resoures and a lot of focus...

Dithering...daydreaming...and dashing after the next bauble is not required....at least not for the next 24 months...keep the eye on the prize(s).

We can vision again...soon enough...
    Onward and upward

While I like a few of the potential candidates for mayor who are current city councilors I really hope a proven successful businessman enters the race as well.

^^That is why I want most of the current council to stay on, so they can keep with the follow-through of Mandel's long-term vision. I don't want to see half of the current councillors running for Mayor and we end up with a council dominated by more of the Diotte/Nickel types who know the price of everything but the value of nothing. I fear a return of Deadmonton, of "good enough fer lil ol E-town", of the arena and other projects getting value-engineered down to Soviet-era brutalism, of City Hall becoming nothing more than a pothole repair service. I fear another council full of divisive whacknuts like what we saw during the Reimer regime.

While I like a few of the potential candidates for mayor who are current city councilors I really hope a proven successful businessman enters the race as well.
    The new 4-Year Terms will help draw some candidates that would have never considered running before. The wages for the Mayor aren't high enough (imo) to draw proven successful businessmen/women to that office unless they are looking for a new challenge.

We will have to see who comes out of the woodwork come nomination day.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I agree 24...hence why I selected undecided when this poll was open.

SDM - while that may be a fear...even Candidate Diotte mentioned the truth...even if someone wanted to stop some of these projects...there are too many committments, too much money spent, too much debate done, and too many other projects put on hold to stop anything. All of a sudden many of these things are truly sunk costs that do not yeild any return and go fallow...

...scaling down...that could happen but that may come about with the inevitable chage orders that will pepper some initiatives. It will be about ensuring execution of the contractors to deliver what was promised for the budget promised....

...also, remember that some are retiring, others are tired and from what I understand want to do other things...so careful vetting of the candidates in the open wards will be crucial...
    Onward and upward

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post
    (...) The wages for the Mayor aren't high enough (imo) to draw proven successful businessmen/women to that office unless they are looking for a new challenge.

(...)
    Agree 100%. That is why I chuckle at the council pay conversations.

If people think that the CEO of Corporation Edmonton is overpaid....sheesh...
    Onward and upward

^ but I'm a tool-push who only makes 23/hr, and my tax dollars go to pay for the mayor, and the mayor makes too-damn-much money!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^^That is why I want most of the current council to stay on, ...
    I think we could loose 3 Councillors without Council loosing their way. I agree that we don't want to return to those "old" days but some change is good. We need a Council that is willing to look at issues with new focus.

Perhaps some of our existing Councillors have been in the system too long and their eyesight is failing. Time for glasses or transplants.

^ but I'm a tool-push who only makes 23/hr, and my tax dollars go to pay for the mayor, and the mayor makes too-damn-much money!
    Yes, our tax dollars go to pay for City Council. While it might appear to be a coshie job with perks, it is mostly long hours with little thanks. You definitely don't do the job of Councillor or Mayor for the money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast