View Poll Results: Current Councillors, who is your choice to make a bid for the Mayor's Chair?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linda Sloan

3 1.26%
  • Kim Krushell

41 17.23%
  • Dave Loken

1 0.42%
  • Ed Gibbons

0 0%
  • Karen Leibovici

30 12.61%
  • Jane Batty

0 0%
  • Tony Caterina

0 0%
  • Ben Henderson

8 3.36%
  • Bryan Anderson

3 1.26%
  • Don Iveson

46 19.33%
  • Kerry Diotte

81 34.03%
  • Amarjeet Sohi

3 1.26%
  • Undecided

4 1.68%
  • No one on this list. Will wait for external candidates

18 7.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If Mayor Mandel does not run, who out of the sitting councillors is preferred by you?

^ It was a joke. Lighten up.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Smile

LOL ... Ok Medwards. I am always light

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ...it is now all about delivery...

...I agree, the agenda is pretty much set. We cannot fall back into the typical trap of looking at the next shiny bauble, the next "world class" vision, or the next dream. I continually harp on this, and I know the bloggity blog bloggers and the dreamers hate this...but failure on execution is Edmonton's claim to fame. We do one off's well, but when it comes to follow through - we have a track record of dropping the ball.

Many of these projects are going to be open to changes galore, troubles, issues, and probably should get a Discovery Channel team to document as it will make a great show.

...we....need.....to.....DELIVER...

...arena...adjacent district...$$$ for CRL...complete LRT...complete transportation strategy...fix our tourism issues...deliver on economic growth...and maybe have a "come to your maker" conversation on other pet projects that need a subtle kick to the behind and a re-do.

...for we need that solid foundation of success if we want more...and delivery is hard work....it will take many resoures and a lot of focus...

Dithering...daydreaming...and dashing after the next bauble is not required....at least not for the next 24 months...keep the eye on the prize(s).

We can vision again...soon enough...
    Exactly Richard

And it's a different skill set and mandate.

But it's not just about the "name" projects

There are many areas of day to day workings that have to be followed through (Pot holes anyone) with solutions rather than patches.

I will guess that some projects that do not yet have $$$$ signed off and committed may be delayed to allow the "name" projects" to come to life and be followed through...example:

The "Arena project" in it's entirety (including spin offs) cannot fail...the economic fall out would be catastrophic and the damage to Edmonton's image and attitude would take a generation to repair. So wheter you support it or not it must now succeed.

That alone is going to be a monster...add in the LRT and others currently funded and it becomes a huge task before problems start.

In my highly biased personal opinion

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post
    Yes, our tax dollars go to pay for City Council. While it might appear to be a coshie job with perks, it is mostly long hours with little thanks. You definitely don't do the job of Councillor or Mayor for the money.

Nope, Top_Dawg has to disagree.

Every term in Top_Dawg's memory has yielded mayor and council that can only be described as a bunch of useless dog breeders.

They don't do it for the money ?

Really ?

Look at the current crop of goat milkers.

Almost without exception, for everyone of 'em, it's the best gig they have ever had.

And probably ever will have.

Why do most keep running until they are defeated ?

If they do resign it's either to run for public office in some other capacity or to collect a fat pension.

Once they get a taste for easy money it's impossible to wean'em off it.

Long hours with little thanks ?

Biggest myth ever.

So they go to a coupla events every week with a few well rehearsed talking points and sit around pretending to listen only to do **** all in the end.

Top_Dawg doesn't believe their sob stories for a minute.

It's all a great act.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 24-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg's gotta call
    SCATOLOGY ALERT !!
    I could be wrong but I believe I was just told I spouted some verbal scat....

I would disagree with most of the points you mentioned, Top_Dawg, you are entitled to your view. Mine comes from someone that has been close to the battle lines and I have some idea of what goes on. One must also be aware of the differences between different levels of government.

While the Provincial and Federal politicians have a good (some would call it obscene) pension, Edmonton Municipal politicians don't have this golden package. Theirs is much more down to earth.

Some Councillors may just go through the motions and ignore many of the requests that come their way, many do not. That is where the voter comes in and should make a correction with their votes.

Sadly, most do not pay attention at the Municipal level which is where their votes have the most impact. Hopefully that will change.

That's just my view of things. As stated above, though I might not share your views, I do respect them.

Top_Dawg apologizes for the outburst.

He gets his dander up when he hears about how hard politicians work and how underpaid they are.

Cause he's never seen it.

That's all.

First One is Always Free

Default Oh my

Top_Dawg apologizes for the outburst.

He gets his dander up when he hears about how hard politicians work and how underpaid they are.

Cause he's never seen it.

That's all.
    Youngblood is tempted to conclude that Top_Dawg draws his conclusions from stereotypes and what one hears in the media, rather than a real understanding of how hard many municipal politicians work.

Youngblood is tempted to explain to him that some Councillors work 70-80 hour weeks and respond personally and in detail to several hundred constituent emails a week, and sometimes respond in the same fashion to inquiries made to them by people who don't even live in their ward!

But Youngblood realizes that Top_Dawg is a person who likes stereotypes because they are comfortable. Or, he thinks, maybe Top_Dawg has just never known a municipal politician well enough to see how much work it can really be and how dedicated most of them are.

And so Youngblood doesn't bother judging Top-Dawg too harshly, because really, most people think the way he does.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

There are a couple things here...

While few in public office may do exactly as TD explains, many others do put in the hours and the time. I too have seen the late hours, and I have received the late night phone calls asking for advice or an opinion...

When I was asked to run, I looked at it seriously, and then thought....why spend 60K to get a job that pays less than half of what I make now, for twice the hours, even less thanks, and every 3 years I have to spend another whack of cash only to beg people for me to stay?

...and then with how the MGA is structured...

but that is my personal beef...and I understand why people will not leave industry to run...

I have some firm hopes for Edmonton...and I feel that I could make a huge difference...but even the crap and abuse I take on this forum often crosses the line...so I can't even imagine what would happen if I won the keys to this kingdom...

...so many chose to support their candidate, and influence from the outside....but that does not mean that the candidate is a slacker...most do get into politics to make a difference. Some are wide eyed optimists, others are hard line fiscal hawks, and others are somewhat grounded - but in the end, I have rarely seen any successfully elected candidate be that offside.

just my 2 cents
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

When I was asked to run, I looked at it seriously, and then thought....why spend 60K to get a job that pays less than half of what I make now, for twice the hours, even less thanks, and every 3 years I have to spend another whack of cash only to beg people for me to stay?
    Great points RichardS.

I hope that Rob Ford moves to Edmonton. Having him as mayor would really put us on the map!

There are a few out of work mayors in Metro Montreal available too...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

...but even the crap and abuse I take on this forum often crosses the line...so I can't even imagine what would happen if I won the keys to this kingdom...
    C2E candidate training at it's best... 6 years of it makes you a veteran and tougher than any other candidate. LOL
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Here is what the Mayor and Councillors make on a fully taxable basis:

"The fully taxable equivalent of eligible salary for 2013 is $198,523 (Mayor) and $107,127 (Councillors)." Link:http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...pensation.aspx

The Mayor and Councillors also receive some pretty sweet perks including an 11% employer contribution to an RRSP, $1375 per month vehicle allowance for the Mayor and $668 per month for Councillors, free parking at City Hall, free on-street parking anywhere in the City, and a free transit pass.

That's good compensation but nothing spectacular considering the amount of work they do. Most of them anyway.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I agree. Most of them work 80 to 100 hour weeks. Take their salary and divide it by the hours worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I hope that Rob Ford moves to Edmonton. Having him as mayor would really put us on the map!

do you have anything relevant to add?
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Give it a rest dude. A little comic relief does not hurt once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post

Do you ever have anything relevant to add? Seems to me that every third post of yours you mention your favorite mayor in the world Rob Ford. As if mentioning his name should strike fear in the person you are debating with. " you are Rob Ford" said Edp

Lol.. than say something funny ;-P
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

Do you ever have anything relevant to add? Seems to me that every third post of yours you mention your favorite mayor in the world Rob Ford. As if mentioning his name should strike fear in the person you are debating with. " you are Rob Ford" said Edp
    ^

I'd rather C2E than work!

I don't want a mayor be like Cec Purves because if Edmontonians elected a Mayor like that , some of Edmonton's projects could be halted or cancelled.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Lol.. than say something funny ;-P
    lawl, than lurn propper grammer.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    I don't want a mayor be like Cec Purves because if Edmontonians elected a Mayor like that , some of Edmonton's projects could be halted or cancelled.
    I wasn't paying very close attention during the Purves years(being a child and all). I do remember that he was hugely in favour of building the Convention Centre. Was he otherwise known for axing projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

^

why yes, you certainly do seem to come off as the teacher from Charlie Brown. Add in the occasional "Rob Ford" and its a near perfect example.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I would love to hear from Admin where all the Kerry Diotte responses are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I would love to hear from Admin where all the Kerry Diotte responses are coming from.
    Now now, people wouldn't dare create multiple user accounts to help make it look like there was more support for their candidate than there actually was...

Don't feed the trolls!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^ If people have that much extra time in their hands, I have plenty of things they can do for me to keep themselves occupied.

The poll above is closed and has been for some time. It also pre-dates Mayor Mandel's decision to not run again.

Perhaps it's time to close this thread, and start a new one called "Who should be Edmonton's next Mayor?" or something similar.

It would also make sense to not do a new poll until the field of mayoralty candidates is known, which I suspect will be within the next month or earlier.

I also eagerly await more announcements of Mayorial candidates then we can get down and assess our options.

Anyone think Kim Krushell will step up or will she be constantly the bridesmaid and never the bride. She seems to be a career politician and know doubt thinks she has a better chance of getting elected as a councillor than the mayor. If a strong candidate runs against her as councillor she could be toast.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Anyone think Kim Krushell will step up...
    I don't know Kim well enough to say, Gemini. She has never struck me as being very visible on Council. When I say visible, I mean leading the pack. Based on that, I would suspect that she will continue playing as a Councillor instead of leading the team.

But what do I know ... I live in a different Ward. I may have missed something ....

^ she regularly chairs meetings in the Mayors absence. I have also listened to her speak very eloquently on some issues. She also has a great way of slapping down the "against everything people" by asking straight forward questions that achieve decisive responses to the questions people like Cal, Linda or Kerry ask in a round about obtuse fashion.

She is one of my fav people on council, HANDS DOWN

Krushell is a follower not a leader.

Mayoralty would also be punching above her skill level. She lacks analytical skill and decision making. She would basically vote yes to everything and recommend anything. Lacking in this would be Mandel's penchant for telling the civic administration "your out of your mind if you think we're paying this much for a project, go back to drawing table".

Krushell is a yes person through and through. But theres profound problems with that as well.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-05-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Sohi to announce election plans tomorrow
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

If Sohi is to run for Mayor's chair, he will get lots of votes especially from large sikhs and Indian community in millwoods area.

Krushell is a smart lady, but mind you, she was american born and she have done good job as councillor for her ward.

what does it matter if she was american born?

Mandel was born in Ontario, and spent many years studying in america... not sure why it's needed to point out where someone was born.
    Last edited by Medwards; 27-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.

If you're Canadian, I don't care where you were born. You could be a Martian with Canadian citizenship and still do a decent job on Council.

Actually ..... that may explain a few things .......

I find Sohi underwhelming as a mayoral candidate.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

If you're Canadian, I don't care where you were born. You could be a Martian with Canadian citizenship and still do a decent job on Council.

Actually ..... that may explain a few things .......
    Nice!

I guess I should run...Men are from Mars after all...and it certainly is no place to raise your kids...in fact, it is cold as hell...

I agree, as long as you are a resident and can represent your constituents, who cares if you were raised in Ponoka or Poughkeepsie...

...as for comments on leadership recently in this thread...well...as I mentioned before, the next mayor needs to be a slightly different leader than Stephen– and play on the strengths of actually having DONE SOMETHING...executed projects...succeeded and failed...know where the pratfalls and the pitfalls are....learned from mistakes...not sit and overly animate oaths of office or grandstand and try to prove how wonderful of a vocabulary they possess.

It will take true leader, not a yes person, not a no person, but....forgive the cliché....leaders lead. There are a ton of projects on the docket than need to be executed. ...intestinal fortitude is a must. Comments of " I need to research that" or "it is for the NextGen"...or worse..."let's think of the possibilities"...are not wanted when it is now GO time. Visionary...yes...but not a daydreamer...one grounded in the realities of what it is going to take to execute on the agenda already set forth.

If someone wants to practice oration, skulk around for the next available camera or microphone to give yet another nonsensical sound bite, or spend time pontificating and looking like they are singing "I'm pretty, oh so pretty....", or pander to the "get off my lawn you whipper snapper" crowd... they'll get slaughtered. ...not so much at the ballot box as this "charm" may carry them...but the 4 years ahead will be rough. I'd hate to be that candidate/mayor that is known for dropping the ball...setting Edmonton back. With this agenda currently in front of us...that possibility is EXTREMELY real.

IMO, it is going to take someone who is great at facilitation and getting people to the table...leave the ego at the door. The second this next candidate makes it about him or herself, we’re doomed.

Sorry, the menu is laid out, table is set...time to cook dinner and eat.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

^You are describing Karen Leibovici to a tee . Very organized intelligent individual who works tirelessly for the city. Certainly not the sound bite queen/king on city council, in fact she does not look very comfortable in front of a camera which could be a detriment. Definitely the dark horse in the mayoral race.
    Last edited by Glenco; 28-05-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Definitely the dark horse in the mayoral race.

Top_Dawg asks you to cease and desist with your racist undertone.

Apparently Diotte was on Rutherford this morning. J'Lyn Nye and Dan Tencer were the guest hosts today, and neither seemed to be a fan of his. So he didn't receive the friendly interview that he probably thought he would get when he agreed to go on the show. He was asked pointed questions about his cynical decision to not have a platform.
    Last edited by ScottieA; 28-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

3 new Councillors would be a good thing, imo. Inject some new blood while still retaining some experience. We know Ward 11 will be open. Any bets on the other 2 Wards?

So what's the time line for throwing your hat into the ring. What date do you have to announce by?.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

So what's the time line for throwing your hat into the ring. What date do you have to announce by?.
    Nomination Day is the last opportunity to throw your hat in the ring, typically early September.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...but you'd better be fundraising right now...

Nomination Day is September 23rd with the election on October 21st.

Okay, so I listened to the audio archive and transcribed the best part of the Diotte interview on 630 CHED this morning. Full marks to J'Lyn Nye and Dan Tencer for asking some tough questions in this one.

The sequence was started off by J'Lyn when she said in response to Diotte making a statement of how he really doesn't need to have any ideas out there currently in a platform until during the campaign, and that not all of the ideas that he will be running on will be formulated until during the campaign based on feedback that he'll receive from voters :

"But Kerry, I want my Mayoralty candidates to know, going into the campaign, what it is they're going to do."
    Tencer then interjected with this very correct observation:

"And I think, to me, what you just described is suggesting that you're going into this putting your finger in the wind to see which way it blows before deciding which way you're going to go".
    Diotte seemed very caught off guard by that, and essentially tried to sugar-coated it by saying:

"No, I see it rather as basically listening to people and seeing what is important to them; percolating- you know, letting that information percolate- and then coming out with various harder proposals. Um, that-that's- that's how I operate."
    That's the same damn thing Kerry!!!
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E SME

I think one thing about Diotte is that he will never stand for something.

If some kind of emergency ever happened in Edmonton, he'd be wishy-washy about it.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

In other words he'll be whatever we want him to be unless of course he does something else, in which case we'll be disappointed, but we won't know what any of that will be until after it's done.

Solid!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Diotte is running one of the most cynical campaigns that I've ever seen.
    Don't feed the trolls!

It's easy to be cynical when you don't even have your own vision or platform. How is anyone able to return the favor?

Diotte: I don't have a platform. I plan to listen to the people
    People: We want to hear a platform
    Diotte: I didn't think this through very well...

Bwahaha.

People: Kerry, we don't want you to run for mayor...
    Diotte: I have an announcement to make...
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

“Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Wow, simple, yet very effective in delivering the message.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I wonder which robodialing company Diotte has contracted out to do his work?...

Last edited by ScottieA; 30-05-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Bwahaha.

People: Kerry, we don't want you to run for mayor...
    Diotte: I have an announcement to make...
    I friended Diotte on Facebook, merely to follow what he's up to, and so I could comment on his campaign. I encouraged him to run because Edmonton needs him off council and that would do it. I took some shots from his supporters, as I expected. Regarding your comment, I'm not sure Diotte is hearing a lot of people telling him not to run. His Facebook friends are asking him to run.

ABCD!

Anybody But Crappy Diotte!

ccw219 posted this article on SSP regarding Diotte:

Staples: Diotte a forceful critic, but can he lead?

He has not shown an ability to build consensus
    By David Staples, Edmonton Journal May 28, 2013

Diotte, 57, a former Edmonton Sun columnist turned one-term city councillor, is a polarizing figure, a right winger on a council of centrists and progressives, a fierce opponent of spending on everything from Winston Churchill Square to the downtown arena deal.

But in an interview – my first in a series of interviews with prominent candidates for mayor – Diotte insists he’s more than just a budget watchdog.

“I think sometimes I’m misunderstood,” he says. “It’s that, ‘Oh well, he’s just a one trick pony. He cares about potholes and he cares about saving a buck or pinching pennies.’ I think if people really get to know me, I have appeal on other issues, like I really truly believe in helping people who need a leg up.”

An early controversy around Diotte’s campaign is his lack of a platform of major initiatives.

“I know people have been asking this, ‘What’s your platform? What’s your vision?’ In the grand scheme of things, I really want people to be involved in civic politics. I really think they’ve been turned off by traditional politicians where they don’t feel heard, and that’s why we only get 35 per cent voter turnout for a typical election. And I think that is scandalous.”

In other words, Diotte’s platform is public consultation.

...Continues....
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...706/story.html

My favourite part is the shot at the end of the article that Staples makes.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Well that didn't take long. Already a fake Kerry Diotte Twitter account: https://twitter.com/NotKerryDiotte
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ The fake account probably has a better platform than the real KD

I forget if this has been posted: https://twitter.com/DiottesHands
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Leibovici and Iveson are both running for mayor, Krushell is not running. Diotte has no support from his colleagues and some will campaign against him.

Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
    Leibovici and Iveson are both running for mayor, Krushell is not running. Diotte has no support from his colleagues and some will campaign against him.
    I suspect Mandel might even campaign against him. I can reasonably forsee him making negative public comments after major 'platform' announcements by Diotte.
    Don't feed the trolls!

With 1 confirmed Councillor not seeking re-election (Jane Batty), 1 confirmed to be running for Mayor (Kerry Diotte) and 2 more considering to run for Mayor (Karen Leibovici and Don Iveson), 2013 is turning out to be a very exciting election year.

I wonder if more Edmontonians will actually get out and vote?

With 1 confirmed Councillor not seeking re-election (Jane Batty), 1 confirmed to be running for Mayor (Kerry Diotte) and 2 more considering to run for Mayor (Karen Leibovici and Don Iveson), 2013 is turning out to be a very exciting election year.

I wonder if more Edmontonians will actually get out and vote?
    Leibovici will run but hasn't announced it yet. I totally expect Iveson to run also. There may also be a surprise candidate from council and there are always some outside council who choose to give it a shot, which is more likely with a retiring mayor.

I can confirm that Leibovici will run. She has hired a very good campaign manager..
    Don't feed the trolls!

Organization is the key ingredient and Leibovici has it in spades.

Default Staples: Leibovici shows leadership in winning cities a better deal

EDMONTON - On that great day when Canada’s cities finally get their rightful share of taxes to do everything from fix potholes to build mass transit, it will be through the effort of civic leaders like Edmonton city councillor Karen Leibovici.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...620/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Organization is the key ingredient and Leibovici has it in spades.

Communication would appear to be one as well.

I can't think of one time I've viewed council proceedings that Leibovici had anything to say. She's one of the quieter members of council and from watching I wouldn't know her take on anything.

Strikes me as shy as an alderman. Not sure she has the stuff to be front center mayor.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Leibovici isn't shy, but she could use some communication advice and a bit of a makeover. I watched her at FCM (she was the outgoing president) a couple of weeks ago and she's not a great speaker, and I find it distracting that she is always sweeping her hair away from her face. It may seem unimportant but it is very noticeable and distracting when she always does that. However, she does have substance so if elected she'll do well. She has the support of several prominent councillors.

Leibovici isn't shy, but she could use some communication advice and a bit of a makeover. I watched her at FCM (she was the outgoing president) a couple of weeks ago and she's not a great speaker, and I find it distracting that she is always sweeping her hair away from her face. It may seem unimportant but it is very noticeable and distracting when she always does that. However, she does have substance so if elected she'll do well. She has the support of several prominent councillors.
    The hair covering her eyes thing all the time is a dead give away for shy. To much to even look at the camera, raise her head, say much of anything. If I heard her voice I wouldn't recognize it.

As for her substance like I said I wouldn't know what it is. From listening to her one wouldn't know her take on anything. The least vocal member of council in years wants to be mayor?

I don't see it.

I know most members of Edmonton council and several are supporting her. They're the best judges of her abilities.

I know most members of Edmonton council and several are supporting her. They're the best judges of her abilities.
    No, the electorate will be.

Leibovici may be known in her riding but I think what will be a problem is people from other ridings and around the city don't know much at all about her.

She just hasn't been high profile on council. It seems as if the FCM appointment is her biggest calling card but again how many people would be following her work on that?

jmo but it would require a huge media blitz to get people thinking about Karen Leibovici, who typically blends into the background at city hall.

Really the one thing I remember about her is her dolt statement that the Commonwealth stadium jumbotron was fine, and seemed to be working last time she went to an Eskimos game.

Lost on her was that World championship tournaments meant a world viewing audience at Commonwealth and that we should do as much as possible to upgrade key visual components.

If Diotte had made that comment people would be all over it for years.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Is Bill Whatcott still in town?!?!
    We would share and listen and support and welcome, be propelled by passion not invest in outcomes. We would breathe and be charmed and amused by difference. -Alanis Morissette

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Really the one thing I remember about her is her dolt statement that the Commonwealth stadium jumbotron was fine, and seemed to be working last time she went to an Eskimos game.
    May I as why you felt this smiley face was necessary?
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieA View Post

May I as why you felt this smiley face was necessary?
    No particularly deep reason. There was no smiley with her hair in her face.

You can analyze it for dark undertones if you must.

I wasn't. Just thought that it was odd.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I wasn't. Just thought that it was odd.
    I give into some occasional immaturity and foolishness in my advancing age. Not always a bad thing.

Me odd? Well, yes, there is that.

I find smileys to be a little too much fun I guess in respect to a more serious messageboard.

I'm not quite cut out for serious all the time although I can appear that way at times.

If you ever do get me let me know so I can figure it out.

I disagree. The best candidate isn't always the one elected.

The voters decide who is elected, of course, but do you really think the average voter knows who is most effective? Few ever attend a council meeting, or even election forums? They may read the odd news story or catch snippets on TV, radio or online. If you want to know who is effective and who is a dolt, talk to the folks who work with your councillors daily. The councillors I've talked to say Karen has fairly wide support and that Diotte has little or none. If Iveson runs, as I expect he will, that will give voters another choice.

I've seen people who would be excellent but couldn't get elected, for various reasons.

The voters decide who is elected, of course, but do you really think the average voter knows who is most effective? Few ever attend a council meeting, or even election forums? They may read the odd news story or catch snippets on TV, radio or online. If you want to know who is effective and who is a dolt, talk to the folks who work with your councillors daily. The councillors I've talked to say Karen has fairly wide support and that Diotte has little or none. If Iveson runs, as I expect he will, that will give voters another choice.

I've seen people who would be excellent but couldn't get elected, for various reasons.
    Fair enough and I don't disagree. More and more in present day I share your concern.

But this is now like it or leave it a soundbite, make a quick impression universe. The question will be does Leibovici convey herself, communicate, and present an image that is easily marketable?

She's limited in this area.

Fair enough and I don't disagree. More and more in present day I share your concern.

But this is now like it or leave it a soundbite, make a quick impression universe. The question will be does Leibovici convey herself, communicate, and present an image that is easily marketable?

She's limited in this area.

Ah, now you're talking sizzle, not steak. I agree that her sizzle is lacking. Her colleagues say she has the steak.
    Last edited by MoneyGuy; 10-06-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Fix auto correct mishap

The last few mayors have not had 'sizzle' anyways (Mandel only had it when he got angry). When I look at Leibovici's public demeanour I see something similar to Mandel.
    Don't feed the trolls!

sizzle? steak? Just before supper time? Now I'm hungry

-please continue with your regularly scheduled thread-

The last few mayors have not had 'sizzle' anyways (Mandel only had it when he got angry). When I look at Leibovici's public demeanour I see something similar to Mandel.

Mandel makes up for it by being well spoken, personable, passionate, and immediately comes across as caring and having vision.

Leibovici comes across as a wallflower. Not trying to be harsh here but this kind of comment and reaction will occur if she decides to run for mayor.

I just don't get any energy, involvement, sense of excitement from Leibovici.

I'm all for substance over style as well in saying this but there are limits.

Plus that I would have no idea what her position on anything is what with her lack of vocal participation in council.

I just don't get how an alderman that barely speaks in council expects to run things as a mayor.

Mandel had sizzle ?

When he got angry ?

For real ?

It's evident to Top_Dawg that you, as well as a great many C2Eers remain so blinded by your love for Mandel that you fail to recognize how he came across to the objective observer.

Mandel was all glad hands and smiles when things went his way.

When they didn't he was an impudent child.

Like the bratty kid throwing a public tantrum trying to shame his parents into giving him what he wants.

Sadly at times it did work with the province.

However Top_Dawg much prefers the way the feds handled him.

Either Harper or one of his ministers would kick him in the arse, cuff him across his bald pate, order him to quit whining, and send him up to his room for a well deserved time out.

There is no doubt that Mandel's churlish antics cost this city dearly.

The question is ' how much ? '

Mandel had sizzle ?

When he got angry ?

For real ?

It's evident to Top_Dawg that you, as well as a great many C2Eers remain so blinded by your love for Mandel that you fail to recognize how he came across to the objective observer.

Mandel was all glad hands and smiles when things went his way.

When they didn't he was an impudent child.

Like the bratty kid throwing a public tantrum trying to shame his parents into giving him what he wants.

Sadly at times it did work with the province.

However Top_Dawg much prefers the way the feds handled him.

Either Harper or one of his ministers would kick him in the arse, cuff him across his bald pate, order him to quit whining, and send him up to his room for a well deserved time out.

There is no doubt that Mandel's churlish antics cost this city dearly.

The question is ' how much ? '
    Mandel has sizzle because he is very good. He is quality. He's been a great mayor. That's why.

By the way, it's annoying that you refer to yourself in the third person, among other things.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow, I didn't see that coming.....Krushell is retiring from politics and will NOT run for councilor or mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Wow, I didn't see that coming.....Krushell is retiring from politics and will NOT run for councilor or mayor.

I did. She insinuated she needed more time with her family.

Didn't think she would run for Mayor. Sad that she's not running again for Council, and that it opens the door for Koziak if he wants to run again.
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Sucks that Krushell is leaving municipal politics - she would have been my choice for Mayor. But with the long hours and a teenage boy to rear, it's perfectly understandable.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 11-06-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    You haven't been reading all the politics posts here then the last several days. It's been revealed here.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ This is true, too bad for ward 2 (and the city as a whole) as she was one of the good ones on council.

Karen Leibovici is making an announcement on her municipal campaign this Thursday at 11am at the new CKUA Building.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I hope she is running (or Iveson as a second choice), we are losing too many good councilors (oh and we are losing Diotte too lol).

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    Karen Leibovici is making an announcement on her municipal campaign this Thursday at 11am at the new CKUA Building.
    She's running for mayor and I'd say is the front runner of known and expected candidates. #anyonebutdiotte

with Krushell leaving, it is a bit of a loss at city hall.

C2E SME

I'd like to see some younger candidates enter the electoral races. I know fund-raising for their campaign may be more difficult, but there will be a few seats up for grabs with the incumbents stepping down.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast