View Poll Results: Current Councillors, who is your choice to make a bid for the Mayor's Chair?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linda Sloan

3 1.26%
  • Kim Krushell

41 17.23%
  • Dave Loken

1 0.42%
  • Ed Gibbons

0 0%
  • Karen Leibovici

30 12.61%
  • Jane Batty

0 0%
  • Tony Caterina

0 0%
  • Ben Henderson

8 3.36%
  • Bryan Anderson

3 1.26%
  • Don Iveson

46 19.33%
  • Kerry Diotte

81 34.03%
  • Amarjeet Sohi

3 1.26%
  • Undecided

4 1.68%
  • No one on this list. Will wait for external candidates

18 7.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If Mayor Mandel does not run, who out of the sitting councillors is preferred by you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Wow, I didn't see that coming.....Krushell is retiring from politics and will NOT run for councilor or mayor.

Great news there.

What a disaster she'd be as a Mayor. I suspect she doesn't want to hang around without Mandel. What would she do without being in his pocket all day every day?

Oh well, don't have to hear her say Edmontonians are uninformed and don't understand Arena prosperity, economic wonder, and magic revitalizing formula anymore. Or that theres no taxes ever involved. none, nada.

I don't know that I've ever witnessed a politician trying to be nice but ending being so dismissive to so many peoples views, and opposing views, than Mrs Kim Krushell.

bye bye now arena shrill.

Too bad you won't be around to answer when all your misinformation comes to roost in upcoming years.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Wow, I didn't see that coming.....Krushell is retiring from politics and will NOT run for councilor or mayor.

Great news there.

What a disaster she'd be as a Mayor. I suspect she doesn't want to hang around without Mandel. What would she do without being in his pocket all day every day?

Oh well, don't have to hear her say Edmontonians are uninformed and don't understand Arena prosperity, economic wonder, and magic revitalizing formula anymore. Or that theres no taxes ever involved. none, nada.

I don't know that I've ever witnessed a politician trying to be nice but ending being so dismissive to so many peoples views, and opposing views, than Mrs Kim Krushell.

bye bye now arena shrill.

Too bad you won't be around to answer when all your misinformation comes to roost in upcoming years.
    It will be interesting to see what she ends up doing. That old chestnut, "Spend more time with the family" is usually an euphemism for "I've been offered the position I deserve for the all the sterling work I've done tirelessly promoting XYZ.

C2E Super Addict

^ This is true, too bad for ward 2 (and the city as a whole) as she was one of the good ones on council.
    I think what you were trying to say there was - "This is true, too bad for me (and others of my opinion) as she was one who's views I just happened to agree with ."

C2E SME

My fear about Edmonton voters is the level of apathy with respect to keeping informed on political issues and participating in the political process. They'll make decisions based in emotion rather than the facts.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Heehee

Not Kerry Diotte ‏@NotKerryDiotte

Got mud on my pants this AM. Thinking about complaining to the media about how #yeg is doing a bad job at spring street cleaning. #yegvote

8:38 AM - 12 Jun 13
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    ^ This is true, too bad for ward 2 (and the city as a whole) as she was one of the good ones on council.
    I think what you were trying to say there was - "This is true, too bad for me (and others of my opinion) as she was one who's views I just happened to agree with ."
    expat, your suggestion would hardly be unique to Ward 2's councilor. that quote could be used for any politician X.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'm not surprised Krushell is not running. She had an uphill struggle in the last civic election and maybe she see's the writing on the wall. She stated she has taken a lot of flack for voting on the arena. I doubt if she wants to be campaigning and every second door she knocks on she gets reamed out and the dog set upon her. She was also becoming a career politician which usually means your just cruising along and doing nothing.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

If Koziak decided to run against her, he would have had two divisive issues to attack her over.
    Don't feed the trolls!

I've talked to Kim. It's family related, nothing more. She doesn't see any writing on any wall.

You can expect her to campaign against Diotte.

I genuinely believed her when she said it was family related. Was just commenting that it would have been a really nasty contest if it had been a rematch from last election.

I suspect she won't be the only current/former Councillor/Mayor to be campaigning against Diotte.
    Don't feed the trolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'm not surprised Krushell is not running. She had an uphill struggle in the last civic election and maybe she see's the writing on the wall. She stated she has taken a lot of flack for voting on the arena. I doubt if she wants to be campaigning and every second door she knocks on she gets reamed out and the dog set upon her. She was also becoming a career politician which usually means your just cruising along and doing nothing.

Yeah, Top_Dawg thinks the same Gems.

She won by a razor thin margin. All those who voted against her in 2010 would do the same this time, plus a whole lot more.

Kinda a strange scenario but Top_Dawg figgers she had a far better chance of being elected mayor than retaining her council seat for ward 2.

Not hard to figger that there's been a lot of collusion leading up to this where it's been decided that Leibovici will be the establishment's only candidate, with no risk of splitting the vote.

No tears for po' Krushell though.

Guaranteed she's destined for a feathery soft landing somewhere in government where, like a good public servant, she can continue ' cruising along and doing nothing '.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 12-06-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

So the real question is -- what will Iveson do? Will he run against Leibovici, or will he take a break and come back in 2017 to run for mayor? If anyone should be leaving Council to spend more time with his family, it's him. You don't get those years back.

Not to mention he should get a real job for the next four years to give him some life experience.

No doubt immense pressure is being put on Iveson not to run.

The establishment wants a clear cut race between Leibovici and Diotte.

Which they believe will be a Leibovici coronation.

Most likely he will also be ' bought off '.

Top_Dawg figgers that in the coming weeks Iveson will renege on his stated intention to not seek re-election.

He'll roll out the ol' ' need for experience and continuity with so many new councilors and that's why I have to run again ' or some such nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised View Post
    So the real question is -- what will Iveson do? Will he run against Leibovici, or will he take a break and come back in 2017 to run for mayor? If anyone should be leaving Council to spend more time with his family, it's him. You don't get those years back.

Not to mention he should get a real job for the next four years to give him some life experience.
    I think Iveson will be running.

Am I able to put a poster on ignore on this site? Not you, BAR.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
    Am I able to put a poster on ignore on this site? Not you, BAR.
    Easy. When you're logged in, click "User Profile" in the blue navigation bar beneath the C2E logo. On the lefthand side, under "Settings and Options", click "Edit Ignore List". Type the username into the field—it should autocomplete the name as you type—then click "Okay". To remove, simply deselect the checkbox beside the user's name.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

The way I see it...

Having dealt with virtually all of Council and the Mayor in their offices and in Council and Committee I can honestly say there is not one that I agreed with all the time (some more than others, yes). I've presented, argued, reported and many times simply watched to see outcomes.

All those that have been serious about it have put in long hours, put up with some really foolish things, tolerated many other and both warranted and unwarranted criticism. Any slip up is media fodder and there is no way to make everyone happy.

So to anyone that has held an elected position (or seriously run for one). Thank you.

I may have liked you, I may not have. Might have agreed, just as likely not.

But you chose to take the hot seat so credit where credit is due.

Tom Hinderks
    Ward 2

To all elected officials who have ran, won, collected a good wage and benefit package along the way, warmed a seat on council for many years and nodded yes in affirmative to every thing the mayor has said and done, I would like to thank you for not running again. (insert your own candidate here.......................).
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Its her own problem that she really polarized people and disrespected any opposition views to the arena funding debate. She went way too far too often in attempting to debase concerns. Worse still that she did so ineffectually.

Krushell seemed to communicate a lot of frustration in said bantering and stopped just short of calling people stupid and uninformed. Actually she did say uninformed. The trouble is she generalized so that anybody opposing the arena funding was uninformed in her mind. My own take was that she had a very limited understanding of the economic issues involved and simply bought what she was told.

I have no idea why anybody thought this was a mayoral candidate. She completely lacks analytical thinking. I think her "no" button could have been broken for 3 years and nobody in council would know.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

IF the mayoral race had of been between Diotte, Krushell and Leobovici I would have been very hard pressed as to who to vote for. They are all different individuals but none of them seem to have what it takes to be mayor. iDiotte (one trick pony) Krushell (unable to form own thoughts) Leobovici (can't seem to curb her enthusiasm).

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised View Post

He is most definitely running. 100% certain.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I will close this thread as people are starting to announce, one way or another.

Please feel free to discuss each potential candidate or announced candidate in their own thread.
    Ow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123