Thread: Hiring Freeze at MacEwan University

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Hiring Freeze at MacEwan University

There's now a hiring freeze, effective immediately, on all academic and non-academic staff at MacEwan University until the details of the provincial budget are released.

I presume this is in response to the comments made by the deputy premier in regard to Post Secondary Education.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

This is just the tip of the iceberg.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Super Addict

EDMONTON - If provincial grants are frozen in this spring’s budget, the University of Alberta won’t be able to continue to offer its wide range of programs and courses, President Indira Samarasekera said Friday.

On the provincial level, it may be time to consider reducing undergraduate spaces at research institutions such as the U of A while smaller universities take more bachelor’s degree programs as part of new financial realities, she said.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...995/story.html
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

President Samarasekera needs to shut the hell up for once. I agree 100% with institutions preparing students and research that serves the needs of the country funding them. Why do we need to research the lost forgotten art of hand basket weaving of the island of Samoa from the mid 12th century (note the exaggeration). Canadian institutions have been left to their own devices for far too long and a national education strategy/department is necessary. The province of Ontario alone had more than 60,000 qualified teachers not teaching, yet they continue to graduate 9,000 new teachers annually. Canadian universities should focus on the needs of the city, province and country that they serve... Not their own selfish endeavors. They are public institutions after all.

^ Post secondary institutions are businesses after all. They are in the business of making money. They have no concern whatsoever if 9,000 teachers, plumbers, or lawyers etc. are sitting at home. Sad but reality.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    ^ Post secondary institutions are businesses after all. They are in the business of making money. They have no concern whatsoever if 9,000 teachers, plumbers, or lawyers etc. are sitting at home. Sad but reality.
    Business funded by my tax dollars. I totally support governments taking more control over post secondary education. As noted, we need a national education strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    President Samarasekera needs to shut the hell up for once. I agree 100% with institutions preparing students and research that serves the needs of the country funding them. Why do we need to research the lost forgotten art of hand basket weaving of the island of Samoa from the mid 12th century (note the exaggeration). Canadian institutions have been left to their own devices for far too long and a national education strategy/department is necessary. The province of Ontario alone had more than 60,000 qualified teachers not teaching, yet they continue to graduate 9,000 new teachers annually. Canadian universities should focus on the needs of the city, province and country that they serve... Not their own selfish endeavors. They are public institutions after all.
    I agree with the UA president remarks.

But! The other extreme is to have the universities researching "locally relevant topics" such as the optimization of a Tim Horton's drive through. In that case, Alberta will be the clear winner in an academic gong show (with 2nd place going to some place like Iraq?). And trust me, it's moving continually moving in that direction.

There is too much concentration on public post-secondary schools in Canada, and the private sector is getting ignored.

I think governments (Provincial and Federal) need to do more for Canada's private institutions. Most of them are schools that teach employable skills for jobs like truck driving, EMS, admin support staff, computer multimedia, etc., and unlike public institutes, they need to annually report their job placement rates of their graduates (need to be >80%), demonstrate industry need for their program, and even get audited for student attendance.

And all of these schools are continually creating skilled jobs, producing employable graduates, and competing against the huge public post-secondary system we have, all without any help from the government.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The message being passed to faculty is the worse case scenario is this:

- the previously promised 2% funding increase will not happen
    - the current budget cut by 5%
    - no filling of existing vacancies
    - cutting of programs
    - possibility of a programs having to prove 'employability' of graduates.
    - tuition increases

Please note, at present there is just a hiring freeze, however faculty are apparently being braced for the worst. :/
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 14-02-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added tuition

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I don't know if I really should necro this thread or start a new one, but what the hell. Kenney, Toews, and Nicolaides deliver major pain for Grant MacEwan: https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-million-short

Cuts leave MacEwan University $17-million short in current fiscal year: school president

Edmonton’s MacEwan University faces a $17-million hole in its budget for the 2019–20 fiscal year, according to figures discussed by school administrators Thursday.

In the meeting, MacEwan acting president John McGrath outlined the “unprecedented challenge” faced by the institution in the aftermath of the province’s 2019 budget, which included a five per cent cut to current post-secondary spending. That cut will result in job losses, McGrath indicated.

“It’s certainly the largest in-year reduction to the budget I have seen,” he said. “With these levels of reductions to our funding, we will have to reduce our staff levels. There is simply no way to meet these targets. You don’t lose this level of revenue and sustain your operating budget. It’s simply not possible.” ...

For MacEwan, the grant cut equates to a $9.1-million loss. The school also lost the entirety of its $3-million Infrastructure Maintenance Program grant.

But McGrath said the cuts are actually worse than they initially appear because they apply retroactively to the school’s 2019–20 budget. Accounting for the fact that MacEwan has a fiscal year of July 1 to June 30 as opposed to the province’s fiscal year of April 1 to March 31, as well as the administration’s expectation of a further cut to the grant of 6.5 per cent effective April 1, 2020, McGrath says the school has until June to make up a $17-million shortfall.

Under the Post-Secondary Learning Act, institutions may not submit a deficit budget to the province, meaning that MacEwan has a short period of time to find savings equivalent to about seven per cent of its $253-million budget.

“We have to fit 15 months of cuts into eight months or less, because we have to balance the budget,” McGrath said. “We have to do this by June 30 of 2020, the end of our fiscal year. Essentially, since April of 2019, when you consider the retroactive nature of the reduction, we’ve been spending money we don’t have.”
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Same subject so why not update it?

Adds continuity over time. In other words, we can now move past the age of the daily printed newspaper towards a knowledge base.
    Last edited by KC; 02-11-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I don't know if I really should necro this thread or start a new one, but what the hell. Kenney, Toews, and Nicolaides deliver major pain for Grant MacEwan: https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-million-short

Cuts leave MacEwan University $17-million short in current fiscal year: school president

Edmonton’s MacEwan University faces a $17-million hole in its budget for the 2019–20 fiscal year, according to figures discussed by school administrators Thursday.

In the meeting, MacEwan acting president John McGrath outlined the “unprecedented challenge” faced by the institution in the aftermath of the province’s 2019 budget, which included a five per cent cut to current post-secondary spending. That cut will result in job losses, McGrath indicated.

“It’s certainly the largest in-year reduction to the budget I have seen,” he said. “With these levels of reductions to our funding, we will have to reduce our staff levels. There is simply no way to meet these targets. You don’t lose this level of revenue and sustain your operating budget. It’s simply not possible.” ...

For MacEwan, the grant cut equates to a $9.1-million loss. The school also lost the entirety of its $3-million Infrastructure Maintenance Program grant.

But McGrath said the cuts are actually worse than they initially appear because they apply retroactively to the school’s 2019–20 budget. Accounting for the fact that MacEwan has a fiscal year of July 1 to June 30 as opposed to the province’s fiscal year of April 1 to March 31, as well as the administration’s expectation of a further cut to the grant of 6.5 per cent effective April 1, 2020, McGrath says the school has until June to make up a $17-million shortfall.

Under the Post-Secondary Learning Act, institutions may not submit a deficit budget to the province, meaning that MacEwan has a short period of time to find savings equivalent to about seven per cent of its $253-million budget.

“We have to fit 15 months of cuts into eight months or less, because we have to balance the budget,” McGrath said. “We have to do this by June 30 of 2020, the end of our fiscal year. Essentially, since April of 2019, when you consider the retroactive nature of the reduction, we’ve been spending money we don’t have.”
    Just a belated heads up for those that seemed to miss it:
    The provincial deficit since Prentice was in power should have been little sign that we’re “spending money we don’t have.”

The NDP moved from highly responsible management by taking on debt to create a smooth economic landing to irresponsible management by not making more modest cuts as the reality of persistent low revenues sunk in. The UCP by cutting corporate takes and cutting services while still building up debt seems to have landed between responsible and irresponsible management. It’s just plain sad that we can learn from our boom/bust cycles.
    Last edited by KC; 02-11-2019 at 05:08 PM.