Thread: public art in Edmonton - post your pics

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default public art in Edmonton - post your pics

Post any type of public or street art in Edmonton - statues, sculptures, wall murals, steel balls, fountains, etc.

I think many people have seen the public art behind Affordable Storage on 104 St

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^
    Love that one. Excited to see whats posted in this thread.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

First One is Always Free

Smile my last pictures in Edmonton

^Am i going to need to teach you how to post flickr images here for you? because i dont mind.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg is just loving this ongoing gong show in Cowtown.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-find-solution

The best is this from the comments section:

Byron Whitford · SAIT

If your art needs a detailed explanation on why it should be considered and appreciated as art then it has no business in the public realm. Stick it in a gallery where other pretentious like minded people can go there with the intent to stare at it for hours while they debat it's inherant artistic value. Not beside a highway so normal everyday people who like to look at nice things can see it while they drive by and think "WTF is this garbage doing here?"

C2E Posting Power

It looks like they started putting up piles for an overpass and just stopped. Actually I drove by this recently and that was what I had assumed they were.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    It looks like they started putting up piles for an overpass and just stopped. Actually I drove by this recently and that was what I had assumed they were.
    Can't comment on the merits / demerits of the piece, but yeah, what a gong show - purposely or even accidentally ripping off Blackfoot culture.

That, and why would anyone put something so distracting on / over a high speed freeway?
    ... gobsmacked