Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,397 of 1397

Thread: Restaurant Patio Discussion

C2E Bandwidth Hog

The Malt & Mortar patio is huge and busy! Not only do they have a boardwalk patio onto Whyte, but they also have patio space spilling into the mural alley next to it. I wish I could have taken a pic but the pedestrian traffic was rather too busy for me to stop and snap pics.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Long Term Contributor

Good to see.

Cask and Barrel has their patio open now.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

2017-05-23 - Central Social Hall Patio Construction
    Last edited by Ustauk; 23-05-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Are they going to reclad that portion at street level?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Posting Power

The patio at Local on Jasper gets lots of sun. Definitely catered to the younger crowd though. Loud gangsta/EDM tracks, big communal tables, and beer games all over.Not sure I would seek it out again.
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg expects another murder or two out back this patio season.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg expects another murder or two out back this patio season.

Oh goodness, at the very least two...

Dog friendly patios which I think is awesome (even though I don't have a dog).

http://linda-hoang.com/dog-friendly-...s-in-edmonton/
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^wonderfully timely. In Chicago and Indianapolis patios and pets mingled and without an issue (although respect and awareness is key).
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Indianapolis? Went to the Indy?

^yup and yup. Nice city.

A wonderful example (Chicago) of how to do a patio right!

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^Another patio next to a roadway. Time to do away with that concept. Diners deserve outdoor spaces that aren't 5 feet away from mufflers or that subject users to the potential risk of out of control vehicles.

This is not "doing a patio" Its not even a first thought. rather, an after thought in established businesses deciding "lets have a patio" and just placing it on former sidewalk next to roadway.

Also a question. In that picture the sidewalk seems to be in the middle, i'e. going right through the dining area patio. The worst possible design as service staff and customers have to contend with pedestrians, sidewalk cyclists, boarders etc while all the users have to contend with a patio restaurant..

That is just an inane design, and of the careful what you wish for variety.

A question. Other than the people watching parade that probably moves a lot of these on sidewalk patios why not some more attempts at backalley patios? Removed from the traffic, quieter, less distraction. For some diners, and some backalleys, heh, this would be a better option.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^wonderfully timely. In Chicago and Indianapolis patios and pets mingled and without an issue (although respect and awareness is key).
    The first thought that comes to mind in those respective instances is they exist in states with Breed Specific Legislation, with more of it on the way, and with established activism around protecting the public from menacing breeds. Breed specific protection we don't have here, at all.

The last thing I want is to go to a patio and have to sit next to diners that decided to bring their at risk breed of dog. Which we have a lot of here because people seem to love having those specific breeds here.

Would I have to ask to be seated in a non dog section?

Then the interaction of aggressive breeds vs dogs that don't stand a chance against them. Brutus the pitbull decides to have Mimi as an appetizer. Could see some tables flying and dog chasing dog at minimum. With hot food all around and flimsy tables that can get tipped easily. What a recipe for problems.

Next hygiene. No, I don't want dog hairs (any breed) on my food while eating in a patio. Nor do I want them mooching off of me.

Another idea not worth pursuing.

Is there any reason to have to bring your dog to a restaurant? No, there is not.

What a Paris Hilton time we live in. Dog as accessory, bring it everywhere..
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-06-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I don't mind patios next to a road if the traffic is slow. (It works well on 104th Street downtown.) But I agree that it doesn't work at all well on a main drag.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    I don't mind patios next to a road if the traffic is slow. (It works well on 104th Street downtown.) But I agree that it doesn't work at all well on a main drag.
    There are some patios that I have mentioned in the thread before that are not of the after the fact variety. Spaces where patios were actually designed to be there and that have buffer, safety, etc. Even better if they are situated to capture the most heat and sun in this climate while having some walls and reflection of heat for longer season comfort.

Those are doable, and much more sensible in this climate, and able to be open and enjoyable longer periods of the year. I've sat at La Cite patio year round enjoying some nibbles whether the patio is open or not. On a sunny winter day, isolated from the wind, and with the place designed to shelter the space its beautiful.

We're a winter city. Intelligent designs would reflect that and need to become more common. Increased patronage of adlib patio spaces results in the message that all restaurants have to do is get a permit and put a few chairs out on the sidewalk next to the street..Really to me its the worst option and not really capturing the grace of outdoor dining. These are essentially popup patios. We deserve, and should expect better.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    There are some patios that I have mentioned in the thread before that are not of the after the fact variety. Spaces where patios were actually designed to be there and that have buffer, safety, etc. Even better if they are situated to capture the most heat and sun in this climate while having some walls and reflection of heat for longer season comfort.

Those are doable, and much more sensible in this climate, and able to be open and enjoyable longer periods of the year. I've sat at La Cite patio year round enjoying some nibbles whether the patio is open or not. On a sunny winter day, isolated from the wind, and with the place designed to shelter the space its beautiful.

We're a winter city. Intelligent designs would reflect that and need to become more common. Increased patronage of adlib patio spaces results in the message that all restaurants have to do is get a permit and put a few chairs out on the sidewalk next to the street..Really to me its the worst option and not really capturing the grace of outdoor dining. These are essentially popup patios. We deserve, and should expect better.
    I have allergy to the hair and hands down rather have a Dog ( man's best friend ) sit beside / join me than some anal retentive snob ,. If anything people should be banned ....should anyone disagree " get out ! Get out ! Get out.
    Last edited by champking; 03-06-2017 at 12:07 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I'll pull a Groucho Marx or Rodney Dangerfield response. I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me..

jk aside pet dander and hairs getting up my nose really is something I don't like while eating. Most people don't.

Kind of funny but people will return a plate of food to the restaurant just because theres a waiters hair on the plate. Dog hair getting on plates is almost guaranteed in spring, summer as that's when dogs shed. Any breeze at all will result in that.

Even well brushed dogs continue to shed. Pet hairs and dander blow in the wind.

Not even mentioning allergy.

In anycase the will of restaurants to service some patrons seems to occur without any thought to the rest of patrons.

Another case of glad we don't have this here.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-06-2017 at 12:14 PM.

^ I'll pull a Groucho Marx or Rodney Dangerfield response. I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me..

jk aside pet dander and hairs getting up my nose really is something I don't like while eating. Most people don't.

Kind of funny but people will return a plate of food to the restaurant just because theres a waiters hair on the plate. Dog hair getting on plates is almost guaranteed in spring, summer as that's when dogs shed. Any breeze at all will result in that.

Even well brushed dogs continue to shed. Pet hairs and dander blow in the wind.

Not even mentioning allergy.

In anycase the will of restaurants to service some patrons seems to occur without any thought to the rest of patrons.

Another case of glad we don't have this here.
    If we can't have dogs can we very least have strippers ? ( Down to a thong/g-string ... Promise no pubes in the food .

Or Imagine a dinner with Don Iveson ...pointing fingers at everyone " your going 1km over the speed limit, your breaking the law ! ...that make me throw my food up. Imagine married to the guy...

Your eating too fast , your intake too many callory's. Your going to pay for my bill for that .
    Last edited by champking; 03-06-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Maybe the homophobes are right, maybe bestiality and marrying your dog is next. It's absurd how some pet owners can't go moments without being attached to their dog.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Maybe the homophobes are right, maybe bestiality and marrying your dog is next. It's absurd how some pet owners can't go moments without being attached to their dog.
    ever made love to a car ? It's a real thing ...maybe bring my 72 Mustang ? Or am I forced to just hang with **** and netrosexual ?

I don't need to take mine to a patio. I really don't see the point. But as my boys get older, I worry about them, they really are just like family.So maybe I'm absurd, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't need to take mine to a patio. I really don't see the point. But as my boys get older, I worry about them, they really are just like family.So maybe I'm absurd, I don't know.
    Comes down to intolerance...now wouldn't you love ban all lefties ?...I would ...no Flufferman
    Last edited by champking; 04-06-2017 at 10:18 PM.

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Sherlock's again on Saturday. Might be the only patio in the city where you can get a decent pint and burger without looking out to a parking lot in suburbia or major roadway.

It is a gem and a regular spot for me for both. Their burgers are solid.
    www.decl.org

^^ Sherlock's is not even the only patio on that block where that's the case! Craft across the street has a lot of choice of beer and plenty of burgers, and a great rooftop patio that looks out on the same space you see when you're at Sherlock's.

(I do like Sherlock's, too, though.)

Craft's food is dogshit, their beer is grossly overpriced, and in the rare chance you even are able to get a seat on the rooftop patio, you're surrounded by greasy db's. I'll stick with Sherlock's. Haven't been to McLeod Tavern though, but the patio is boring and I've heard mixed reviews about the food.

Love T'zin's little patio. One of the best people watching/running into people you know spots in the City.

www.decl.org

Japanese Village maintains beautiful flower planters, cleans the patio every day...except no patio. I think they even have patio furniture stored on the patio under a tarp. I have yet to see anything set up there in the past few years.
    www.decl.org

It has always confused me as to why they would not open it up for drinks and and appetizer menu.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That Japanese Village location, and the architecture around it coming off the river seems to create a bit of a wind tunnel. Any wind and its awfully windy right there. With lots of sand blowing around as well. That location could be the most windy location in the DT. Could be the towers nearby kind of funnel wind through there. Plus that its an awfully noisy location with all the traffic.

Sounds to Top_Dawg like Repo ripped into the saki already this morning.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I didn't mention the stink of the location either. Basically the Corner at Jasper Ave there smells like a cesspool. Great place to have an outdoor patio with the wind, blowing sand that they never clear from the roads properly, and the smell.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Replacement I think you're talking about the old location (long since boarded up and vacant), whereas everyone else is talking about the location on 105th street.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Right you are. I was talking about the old location that still had signage up until recently. I never go there so was not aware that location was not open.

You can tell I'm not a downtown Denizen.

104 Street north of 102 Ave actually. Excellent location for a patio.
    www.decl.org

That restaurant has been on 104th Street since I moved here in 2013. Dunno what the rest of you are on about (architecture coming off the river? 105th Street? wha?).

Ian, have you considered paying them a visit and encouraging them to make a patio available? That spot is going to become a lot more visible once the hoarding comes down on the Foxes.

I have and will be.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Moreover, could they be able to setup an outdoor teppan?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Meat on stick with Sapporo big beers, DONE!
    www.decl.org

Meat on stick with Sapporo big beers, DONE!
    Served late.

^+1
    www.decl.org

104 Street north of 102 Ave actually. Excellent location for a patio.
    My mistake. Definitely 104th, not 105th.

Replacement has a valid point about the sewer smell. Has the sewer upgrades fixed this?. It's huge turn off...

Combined sewers are being replaced city-wide.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And combined sewers are a problem with basically every major city on the planet. It's not a problem unique to Edmonton, and if anything Edmonton has fewer problems than most cities.

And any chalupa head knows that they are especially bad when located in relative close proximity to a beaner restaurant.

Cask & Barrel has a new expanded patio approved similar to Rocky Mountain Ice House.
    www.decl.org

Love these 2 patios.

www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Walked over to the Sugarbowl for a burger and pint. Loved it all except that the patty needs to be pressed thinner.

www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Central Social Hall patio

They did a really nice job with that.

Another patio open is that of Sofra's on 106st/103ave.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

^^Oh that's nice. So much better than that slope that people seemed to think was a garbage disposal.

Have Mercy ribs are just so damn tender.

twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Construction of the Urban Tavern's new patios appears complete. The Urban Tavern, and it's new patios, should be reopening shortly.

Despite the new patio regulations, they went with a metal fence between wooden pillars as a barrier, rather then planters or ropes. I don't know if the fences are thinner then used to be allowed under the old regulations, or if was just coincidence they started construction the day the patio regulation changes were announced.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 20-07-2017 at 10:11 AM.

twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Note the "No Liquor On Patio" sign

Yeah, very odd.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wonder how that place does for business. You can't tell from walking by, it hardly even looks like it's operating.

^You can tell even if it was packed by all the tinting on the windows. Therefore, uninviting.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Heh, I still had never noticed the change in location. This place seems dead in the water. Seems as if clientele haven't followed to this location. This is basically Edo Sumo size pricing for the lunch special and probably comparable portion size. A sign like that for a restaurant is a harbinger of bad times.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They've been there for 3-4 years now, so I'd assume they're at least doing decent business.

I talked two a waitress who was prepping the Urban Tavern to open yesterday. She said that its pure coincidence their patio began construction on the day of the patio regulation change announcement. The patio is compliant with the old regs. She said she personally preferred having the separation from the sidewalks. The wooden portion of the barrier are planters that will be filled in later.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    They've been there for 3-4 years now, so I'd assume they're at least doing decent business.
    I'd assume that a 13 dollar lunch special that is the basic price of similar fast food these days is indication their lunch business, anyway, is hurting. As mentioned this is Edo Sumo size pricing.

The Urban Tavern has reopened, and it's patios are fully in use.

Yeah, Top_Dawg pops in there for a couple of beers quite regularly.

The lounge is always dead so it's good for when Top_Dawg wants quiet time by himself.

The dining lounge on the other hand is always busy.

It's actually surprising how busy they are cause from the outside one couldn't tell.

I'd assume that a 13 dollar lunch special that is the basic price of similar fast food these days is indication their lunch business, anyway, is hurting. As mentioned this is Edo Sumo size pricing.
    Your lack of awareness is becoming readily apparent. Lots of places aim for a $12-15 lunch special, and Japanese Village isn't exactly conveniently located next to much commercial, so it makes sense they aim a tad lower to entice folks to walk a couple blocks.

I'm not exactly young but I can't recall when Japanese Village wasn't there. Do you even go down 104 St?

Top_Dawg guestimates that JV has been there about seven years.

Prior to that they were in the Canada Permanent building across from the Westin.

The current place was vacant for a long time after Sidetrack Cafe tried to resurrect themselves in that location but ended up making a total abortion out of it.

JV has partitioned it off into several distinct areas and rooms.

Hard to tell from the outside but it really is a huge space.

Lots of square footage.

I'm not exactly young but I can't recall when Japanese Village wasn't there. Do you even go down 104 St?
    Wasn't it on 101? St across from the Westin for most of its life?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

100st Canada Permanent across from the Westin.
    www.decl.org

To Top_Dawg's recollection, after they moved from the Canada Permanent building, they also opened up in that black hole of a restaurant space at the Citadel and had two locations downtown.

But they lasted there even more briefly than most other occupants over the years.

Interesting, don't recall that.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I think that the Canada Permanent and 104 street locations ran concurrently for about a year before their lease expired at the first.

I think that the Canada Permanent and 104 street locations ran concurrently for about a year before their lease expired at the first.
    Yeah, at least that long. I recall both the CP and 104 Street locations up and running at the same time for a while.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

We were there last Thursday night celebrating a friend's birthday. A great place for a party. We were in the tepanyaki dining area. All the tables were being used. It was quite busy. The chef cooking for us said they are a bit slower during the summer but concert nights are busy and the hockey season was quite so.

I am not worried about JPV closing any time soon. BTW, they had lunch specials even when they were at their old location.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Your lack of awareness is becoming readily apparent. Lots of places aim for a $12-15 lunch special, and Japanese Village isn't exactly conveniently located next to much commercial, so it makes sense they aim a tad lower to entice folks to walk a couple blocks.

As little as possible. Why would I?

Not exactly my thing. Pretentious little over priced shops, nothing really interesting about the area, all seemingly contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    We were there last Thursday night celebrating a friend's birthday. A great place for a party. We were in the tepanyaki dining area. All the tables were being used. It was quite busy. The chef cooking for us said they are a bit slower during the summer but concert nights are busy and the hockey season was quite so.

I am not worried about JPV closing any time soon. BTW, they had lunch specials even when they were at their old location.

Yeah, exactly Top_Dawg's experience.

It's surprising how busy the place is on any given weeknight.

Yet from the outside you would never know.

I didn't know there was another section to the restaurant that isn't the tepanyaki dining area. huh. May check it out now.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Good to hear it's doing well, then. If they can make it work in a space with such a terrible frontage, it makes you wonder why no one can make the Metals Building space work. One real estate acquaintance mentioned that they thought the few steps up were a bit of a deal breaker preventing more established names from giving it a shot. I found that surprising, but he knows his stuff.

Huge size, small kitchen, not at grade, etc. etc.

But there is a deal being worked on for an almost ideal tenant there... more to come.
    www.decl.org

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Hopefully a Keg or at least an entity that won't be a fly-by-night operation by some over-their-head hipsterpreneur.

A report on AB/BC patios and changing regulations.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle35974171/
    www.decl.org

The only complaint I have with these new patios is the Boston Pizza on Whyte near 109 st. The pedestrian walkway that goes onto the road is in a no-parking area, which exists to allow cars to turn right onto 109 st. Now all it takes is a couple of cars going straight through, or one bus, and no one can access the right turn during a red light. Really mucks up the flow of traffic there during the summer, and of all the times I've been past there (20+), I have yet to see a single person sitting on the BP patio (though I can't say I've been through there Fri/Sat evenings, at least not that I can recall). The city shouldn't have granted the patio space to BPs in this location.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I'm looking forward to the day when some of the restaurants/bars on Whyte realize that they can put a patio behind their establishment in the alley. There is some interesting architechture at the rear of some of those buildings, and just a couple of parking spaces (which aren't really for the public anyway) would be lost. Could make for a cool quiet patio away from the harleys and traffic noise.

Famoso is the only one with a rear patio that I know of (but it's part of the restaurant, and doesn't take up any parking spaces).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Chianti and Tavern also have rear patios, last I knew. There might be a couple of others.

Oh I know they're there. I just want it to catch on a bit more to activate the alleys a bit where possible.

Rear patios tend to be on the south side of the Ave where there's a bit more sun/residual heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    The only complaint I have with these new patios is the Boston Pizza on Whyte near 109 st. The pedestrian walkway that goes onto the road is in a no-parking area, which exists to allow cars to turn right onto 109 st. Now all it takes is a couple of cars going straight through, or one bus, and no one can access the right turn during a red light. Really mucks up the flow of traffic there during the summer, and of all the times I've been past there (20+), I have yet to see a single person sitting on the BP patio (though I can't say I've been through there Fri/Sat evenings, at least not that I can recall). The city shouldn't have granted the patio space to BPs in this location.

If you think that's bad, Top_Dawg invites you to Jasper Ave between 109 street and 115 street to see the abortion the brainiacs at the city have created there.

Black Dog has a sizable patio facing the alley. At least I think it was Black Dog, (next morning's hair of the dog may be more precise).

Quite impressed with Social Hall's new patio - and now stage in the old EB right turn lane. Not so impressed with the menu.

Hit up Marriott Courtyard Sat night - love that patio. Wine and cocktail selection, sadly not so much.

Leaves the rooftop O2 on 104 just off Whyte as my default favourite - great selection, great view, good menu. Hrrm, and with Fringe coming ...
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Leaves the rooftop O2 on 104 just off Whyte as my default favourite - great selection, great view, good menu. Hrrm, and with Fringe coming ...

Yeah, Top_Dawg thanks you for buying all those beers this summer.

Acajutla El Salvadoran and Mexican restaurant on 113 st. and 107 ave. recently opened up a nice little patio. They're also in the process of replacing their signage.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Globe and Mail: Five patios to enjoy in Edmonton
    https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/lif...ticle35975463/

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Black Dog has a sizable patio facing the alley. At least I think it was Black Dog, (next morning's hair of the dog may be more precise).

Quite impressed with Social Hall's new patio - and now stage in the old EB right turn lane. Not so impressed with the menu.

Hit up Marriott Courtyard Sat night - love that patio. Wine and cocktail selection, sadly not so much.

Courtyard is a tragedy. Could be a top destination in this city if everything but the view wasn't so bad.

I'm really impressed with the Hudson's patios on Whyte. They did a good job making them look really good, lots of planters and flowers. Way better than the shrink-wrapped vomit shed they had stapled on to the side before.

^ Agreed on Hudson's/Whyte. Hudson's is nowhere near my first choice of bar, but I'll be damned if the patio didn't look inviting enough to make me want to sit down and have a pint.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314