Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Patio Discussion

C2E Long Term Contributor

we need far more of this... and this... and this...

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    i am not judging i am wondering why not??? Our summer is so short that i am surprised more people would not want to take advantage of the outdoors when eating...

it seems as though we have an addiction to climate controlled spaces
    Don't get me wrong... I love eating outdoors. But on a day like today, with the temperature barely above freezing and strong winds, I'll stick with the comfortable 20 degrees of the inside of a restaurant thank you very much. And honestly, each individual person has every right to choose to eat indoors. If you or anyone else feels that this is a problem, it is 100% up to you to find a solution to get people outdoors on a patio... And to those that would prefer to eat indoors, keep doing it as long as that's what makes you happy.

^

in Vancouver i have sat on many a patio in nov-feb with temps just above zero that had a removable translucent/folding cover with a space heater if necessary.... even when raining outside.

it isnt rocket science
    www.decl.org

^

in Vancouver i have sat on many a patio in nov-feb with temps just above zero that had a removable translucent/folding cover with a space heater if necessary.... even when raining outside.

it isnt rocket science
    That's fantastic (note the sarcasm)... that doesn't mean everyone here needs to do the exact same thing. Why are you putting the onus on the individual who chooses to eat inside?

Wouldn't patios actually be more profitable for restaurants? No costly walls or roofs or carpeting to pay for, ventilation courtesy of free fresh air, no need to spend money on heating or cooling trying to control the temperature to within a 1°C range...

So you'd think restaurants should create outdoor spaces and be subtly encouraging patrons to sit outside for over a third of the year.

Just like how the customer chooses what he/she orders but the restaurant will push certain dishes e.g. specials or server recommendations to try to sell those to make more money...

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    That's fantastic (note the sarcasm)... that doesn't mean everyone here needs to do the exact same thing. Why are you putting the onus on the individual who chooses to eat inside?
    i won't even bother dude... wow
    www.decl.org

i won't even bother dude... wow
    It's a personal choice... if someone wants to eat inside as opposed to outside, that's their choice, and it's none of your damn business. You really like to meddle in things that you have no right to meddle in don't you?

^meddling or wondering why so many people/places in this city are so damn malaise.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^ We all question other people's choices all the time, and we all have every right to ask those kinds of questions in a public forum. If we didn't, we would fast run out of things to rant about.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Earls and Joeys patios were opened last weekend or so. As for today, given the extremely looow temps, it doesn't make sense to have any patios open. As for Saturday, Milestones patio should have been open as it was a nice day/eve.

^meddling or wondering why so many people/places in this city are so damn malaise.
    Again I admire your uncompromising passion IanO...

Perhaps Edmonton needs to walk before it can run?

Lets get more restaurants opening patios in May with translucent/parent windscreens and coverings and more space heaters, then maybe they will open in April on nice days and keep them open in October on nice days!

P.S. I think radiant floor heating in the patios would be kickass...

EXACTLY lat... finally someone gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Again I admire your uncompromising passion IanO...

Perhaps Edmonton needs to walk before it can run?

Lets get more restaurants opening patios in May with translucent/parent windscreens and coverings and more space heaters, then maybe they will open in April on nice days and keep them open in October on nice days!
    cheers

...with many topics i would agree but patios are common sense to me. I cannot get how hard it is to find a decent patio downtown or even whyte. While in NYC i could not get over how many places had 2-3 tables out front and while the inside was often NOT that busy, most of the tables outside were.
    www.decl.org

I'm with IanO. Yes, Monday was cold (just above zero) and it's not really desirable to dine outside in that temperature, but I noticed on Saturday there were patios closed all over the place. Yet at Hawrelak park there were people having picnics.

As a customer, I shouldn't have to ask if I can sit outside. As far as I am concerned, when the temperature is hovering around 20 degrees they should offer you the choice if you want to sit outside or in. That's good customer service.

IanO, Wondering what the differences are between the places you saw in NY and here.
    Were the ones in NY indies? I would think the indies here would be more adaptable and willing to set up a few tables and chairs outside. But, would people here, generally speaking, use them? I know I like to sit outside, but my wife, by her own admission, is a wuss, so we sometimes end up indoors when I would rather be on a patio...
    Have restaurants tried to offer patios earlier in the season and had no one use them so gave up? I don't know, but would be interested to hear from anyone in the restaurant biz that has experience with this...

The chain restaurants have 'corporate policies' about when to do anything, so likely wouldn't be as adaptable to setting up a few tables for a day that is nice... There have been times when I have left a restaurant because they weren't willing to seat us on the patio, even though it was absolutely beautiful outside... Their excuse, they don't have the staff for it, even though the inside wasn't busy and the patio was right beside where they were serving... oh well...

^ that makes sense considering that the likes of Earl's and Joey's are headquartered on the West Coast. But surely the local management would have a say in such matters too.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

"IanO, Wondering what the differences are between the places you saw in NY and here.
    Were the ones in NY indies? I would think the indies here would be more adaptable and willing to set up a few tables and chairs outside. But, would people here, generally speaking, use them? I know I like to sit outside, but my wife, by her own admission, is a wuss, so we sometimes end up indoors when I would rather be on a patio... "

The majority were indies yes... but some larger brands as well. Would people use them... god i hope so. It is so much nicer to sit outside, even if only 10 out with a coat, than inside if you can during our short season.
    www.decl.org

Walked by Earl's Tin Palace today - I'm liking the little canopies per patio table.
    Joey Tomatoes still has no tables on the outer patio.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Partially Addicted to C2E

I guess the National media realizes our lack of patios also.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1171374/

Hmmm, they mention Winnipeg patios, but not one mention of Edmonton? Sad Globe & Mail, very sad.

^ Sorry, kids. The truth is, this is an abysmal patio city and sad to say, Winnipeg does indeed have patios worth writing about in a national publication. Correct me if I'm wrong but the only rooftop patio in this entire city is at a fricking "Chili's" is it not?

However, there is no shortage of patios that overlook parking lots. Eg: Suede, Characters, etc.

rooftop patios would be awesome. Please... anybody?!?

Black dog on whyte

Quote Originally Posted by 7 View Post
    Black dog on whyte
    I love the rooftop patio there... definitely one of my favs.

Default Lack of Patios

Lack of suitable weather ?

The CBC Edmonton website says that it's going to be sunny with highs of 24 degrees on Thursday and Friday. GREAT PATIO WEATHER!!! I can't wait.

Looks like Piazza Dasee (an interesting combo of florist, gelato bar, and espresso bar) have some tables set up outside on Gateway Blvd. and around 80th St. They just moved to this location and the tables make sense given their name.

Quote Originally Posted by Transplanted_Edm View Post
    Looks like Piazza Dasee (an interesting combo of florist, gelato bar, and espresso bar) have some tables set up outside on Gateway Blvd. and around 80th St. They just moved to this location and the tables make sense given their name.
    You mean 80th Ave right?

I was just in Halifax and noticed that many restaurants have these neat sidewalk patio platforms that extend the dining space off the sidewalk and into the street... even at the sacrifice of parking space. Imagine that.

Learn more here http://www.mondayspecialblend.ca/Sit...o_Program.html

So what's with Edmonton's "super-restrictive sidewalk dining" bylaw? What is its usefullness? Why does it exist?

^to protect the unclutteredness of our walkways, reduction in distraction of drivers, and adherence to keeping Edmonton only kinda interesting.
    www.decl.org

I have all winter to hang around indoors. I'd rather be cherishing the time I have outside. Moving from Lethbridge to Edmonton makes me realize that.

Patios can be an engaging presence in a community. It makes those that pass-by think, "Hey, what's going on over there?"

^to protect the unclutteredness of our walkways, reduction in distraction of drivers, and adherence to keeping Edmonton only kinda interesting.
    I laugh out loud everytime I read this.

Btw, I've seen these patio 'extensions' on the main drag in Nelson, BC too. Works there, I believe.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

So this weekend being what it was I went out in search of a patio...

Found 3 large ones on whyte at Empress, BD, and Obyrne's.... but not a single one open downtown.

???
    www.decl.org

Apparently, in Edmonton, the only time you can EVER put a table outside is between June 25 and August 31, regardless of weather.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Didn't he just say there was 3 large patios open? Syntax error.......

^yes which is great on Whyte, but downtown ZERO that I could find...

My friend in Calgary said many patios were open all around the downtown.
    www.decl.org

^ There's a lot more hot air down there :P

Seriously though, it was nice out this weekend, but patio weather ?

I can't wait for the day when using natural gas or propane heaters used to heat the outdoors becomes illegal

IAN, Earls couldn't find any university students to hire to pose at the front gate

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

100% yes dude

i think that is one of the problems with this city is that the majority of the people and establishments think it has to be calm and +23 to open a patio.

In the sun with a jacket on it was almost ideal weather sat and sunday.

While living in vancouver some of the best patios were enjoyed in temperatures below +10.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

I can't wait for the day when using natural gas or propane heaters used to heat the outdoors becomes illegal
    Every patio on 17th in Calgary was open all weekend....it was a nice break from the winter. People will clearly use patios, the only thing stopping it in Edmonton is the complete lack of desire by the people running these bars & restaurants.

Downtown doesn't have a whole lot of patios even on the nicest of days.

My window at work looks out upon Scotia Place's main Jasper Avenue entrance and I can't help but think that the entire top of that entrance would make a PHENOMENAL rooftop patio. Just overlooking Jasper Ave and the little park between Telus Plaza and Union Bank Inn.

I'm not sure how the logistics would work, but I'm pretty sure there is a bank of doors on the north side of it which are currently sealed off. I'd love to see some green-space up there but that would probably be a little more difficult.

There also used to be a great restaurant and patio on the (3rd?) floor of the standard life building overlooking the 105 and Jas. intersection

@ Ander:

-3 bananas
    -sherlocks
    -moriarty's (former mimis)
    -cosmos
    -its all greek to me
    -sabor divino
    -T'zin
    -blue plate
    -free press
    -fluid
    -kai
    -pint (formerly fox)

just to name a few...
    www.decl.org

i stand corrected

I expect the patio of Second Cup at Jasper/112 to open soon, they're usually pretty quick about that.

Where are the patios? The type that I see, are always facing a parking lot, how dreary. Pathetic. Embarrassing really!! Yes, the City must change their bylaws. Our summer months are too short. They are not forward thinking on this one! It puts Monte Pythons into hysterics.

^The bylaws are pathetic. I suggest we send emails to mayor and councilor to see what if anything administration is doing to change the bylaw.

^yes they are, but they also are sufficient enough to have far more open than there are now... both permanent and temporary.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free
    Downtown Edmonton (McKay Avenue District)

Default First Restaurant With Outdoor Patio in Edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    There also used to be a great restaurant and patio on the (3rd?) floor of the standard life building overlooking the 105 and Jas. intersection
    A friend of mine who has lived in Edmonton all his life mentioned to me a few months ago that as far as he could remember, the restaurant and patio you mentioned that used to be on the 3rd floor of the Standard Life Centre was the first restaurant in Edmonton with an outdoor patio.

According to the skyscraperpage website, the Standard Life Centre was completed in 1980 (see link below), so I assume this restaurant and outdoor patio on the 3rd floor were there sometime in the early to mid 1980s.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=4313

Out of curiosity, does any C2E poster remember what the name of this restaurant was? Also, was that the first restaurant in Edmonton that had an outdoor patio?

100% yes dude

i think that is one of the problems with this city is that the majority of the people and establishments think it has to be calm and +23 to open a patio.

In the sun with a jacket on it was almost ideal weather sat and sunday.

While living in vancouver some of the best patios were enjoyed in temperatures below +10.
    Precisely Ian and its all improved immensely with just a bit of imagination.

A south or west facing patio with some protection from wind on 3 sides and with the right exterior light coloring(especially stucco or some such mortar will hold and radiate heat on a sunny day. I was sitting out on our patio this weekend reading a book with just a sweatshirt and jeans on. The stucco was reflecting the sun on my back and so I was warm all over. As long as you're sheltered from the breeze its great.

Trouble in this city is the outdoor patios are designed by untrained monkeys and are randomly configured with no thought whatsoever and with way too much exposure to wind and always seemingly next to a dusty main roadway.

Has anybody in this city ever thought of a large enclosed courtyard surrounded by four walls with a retractable clear roof?
    People are starved for outside or natural light in this city in the winter and such a location would be great summer or winter. A few palm trees later and its a little escape in Edmonton.

Or just an enclosed courtyard. How hard would this be?

or this

Quiet, romantic, secluded, relaxing. No dirt, bugs, wind, leering eyes, panhandlers.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-03-2010 at 12:42 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Sounds a lot like Devlin's on Whyte.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    ^ Sounds a lot like Devlin's on Whyte.
    Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

with the forecast showing +13, +14, +14.... you better be open patios... YOU HEAR ME... I WILL **** YOU UP IF YOU ARE NOT.

thank you kindly

Edmonton
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

My patio's open. Service is terrible though :/.

^haha...
    www.decl.org

with the forecast showing +13, +14, +14.... you better be open patios... YOU HEAR ME... I WILL **** YOU UP IF YOU ARE NOT.

thank you kindly

Edmonton
    I think I found only patio open today - Elephant & Castle on Whyte.

^nope... O'Byrnes was open along with two rooms, empress, black dog, and multiple little ones.

Downtown, UNABLE TO FIND A PATIO OPEN ANYWHERE

WTF
    www.decl.org

Have you ever asked the proprietors of any of these restaurants why their patios aren't open, out of curiosity?

^I have... often I get told that they either don't have the staff or that no one wants to sit outside.

I have even been told they won't open it because it is too much of a hassle.
    www.decl.org

Guess what, Ian? I found a couple of downtown patios open today. However, both of them were at Oliver Square - Second Cup and Brewsters.

^better than nothing but still VERY WEAK.

Every year I say this, but I simply don't seem to 'get' Edmonton and Edmontonians.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I have even been told they won't open it because it is too much of a hassle.

That pretty much sums it up.

Management doesn't want to call in another serving poodle.

And the one(s) on shift think it's too much of a hassle to service it.

But on a positive note, Top_Dawg saw Rose Bowl power washing and preparing their outdoor patio over the weekend.

Not that Top_Dawg ever uses them.

He prefers to stay under cover inside for fear of a drive-by.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    He prefers to stay under cover inside for fear of a drive-by.
    lol....why dawg? do u owe something to someone for some unfinished biz?

me, i stopped caring about patios the minute the nazis decided to ban my cigar/pipe smoke from their premises.. most of my summer socializing and beer/alcohol intake takes place at my cozy backyard deck where no one except the eventual mosquito will complaint about the smoke... i've actualy been complimented by neihbours and have even gifted a couple of my most prized Partagas sticks to them on monthly gettogethers....stupid patio elitists...

Again,
    Earls couldn't find any university students to hire to pose at the front gate or to loose your order

Prohibition's large patio will be open as of tonight!!!

their new menu is much improved as well:>
    www.decl.org

It's gonna be 20+ degrees this weekend. Hopefully there'll be more patios open.

^all should be open... but my guess is that many will not be open until may long or later.
    www.decl.org

I'm guessing a major reason why a lot of places won't open their patios until around the May long weekend is the unreliable spring weather so typical of Alberta. Just my 10 cents.

^probably and a very unfortunate attitude.

Edmonton's nice weather is short enough so if you have a +5 day in january, open er up, a +10 in march, open er up, a +23 in april.... YOU BETTER BE OPEN
    www.decl.org

grish

the patio dining and suds festival anyone? Fresh Air Eats Edmonton? Open 'em up!

never answered e-mail

^ I like...or it could be called the dehibernation festival

^hahahahhaha.... love it!
    www.decl.org

I'd like to see some big patios that open onto Churchill Square. Seriously one of the things I miss the most from European cities.

^yup... 3 bananas attempts this but we need another solid restaurant on the east side along with the AGA opening themselves up a little.
    www.decl.org

someone was seen dusting out - off the patio heaters at earls on jasper yesterday aft
    BUT DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A SIGN !

Any good "dog friendly" patios out there? I like to bring my canine friend out for a beer from time to time, and find a spot to tie him up nearby, so he can people watch.

No pets in food service areas sorry
    You two will have to do your stylin' on your back deck or balcony
    Besides your canine friend never buys rounds and always forgets to bring the plastic
    Woof !

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    No pets in food service areas sorry
    You two will have to do your stylin' on your back deck or balcony
    Besides your canine friend never buys rounds and always forgets to bring the plastic
    Woof !
    Several years ago, I once saw a guy bring his Rottweiler with him into the Black Dog - and up to the top patio. However, I'm not sure if you can do that anymore there.

And only last fall, an acquaintance of mine brought a young basset hound cross with him into O'Byrnes.
    Last edited by MikeK; 16-04-2010 at 04:24 PM.

See, I'm more looking for a patio that is fenced allowing me to secure my pooch to the outside fence, and pull a table up next to him.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Had a few drinks at the Earl's Tin Palace patio today, magnificent day for it!!!

i know its summer soon when this thread gets bumped

^indeed.

Drove around last night.

Fluid - not open?
    Prohibition - open
    Pint - open and PACKED
    www.decl.org

post up ones you see open!
    www.decl.org

hudsons on whyte was open

il portico restaurant on northwest corner of 100 ave and 107 st used to have very nice patios ,usually filled up during summer for lunch and dinner but too bad that this restaurant is now closed for good !!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...03.09,,0,-0.01
    Last edited by jagators63; 17-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Had dinner at the tin palace last night. One of my favorite spots. Any one have any idea why joeys on jasper wouldnt be open though? It seems to have become one of THE downtown patios, and I thought they had been pretty good the last couple years...
    I called Riverside Bistro in the Marriot (amazing views) and they said no patio til mid May, as per usual. No sense in letting the weather and consumer interest dictate things I guess..

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Any one have any idea why joeys on jasper wouldnt be open though? It seems to have become one of THE downtown patios, and I thought they had been pretty good the last couple years...

They are thinking about it....

Joey on Jasper ave is now hiring summer patio staff for the upcoming 2010 season! Loooking for passionate and driven people looking to have some fun this summer.

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-bar...AdIdZ198872943

Whyte Ave is crazy-busy today. Open patios on Whyte include Julio's, Empress, O'Byrne's, Elephant & Castle and Campus Earls. Still no outdoor tables - Second Cup, Starbucks.

Downtown? Nada, except for Prohibition, Second Cup at Oliver Square and Brewster's. Didn't go by the Tin Palace though.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Tin Palace opened their patio yesterday (16th).

^^ Pint's was open and PACKED!!!

I could not believe Joey's was not open, weak.

I assume Mor/sherlock's was open as well.
    www.decl.org

/\ Yes and yes. Looking at them right now. Well, Sherlock's for sure - can't quite make out Moriarty's area.

Hopefully some people take the opportunity once the K/R block gets up and running to make some kick butt patios.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Was at downtown Hudsons tonight and the patio was open but not as busy as the one at The Pint.

Ian, how did you expect proprietors to have their patios open last week or the week before when Edmonton was still in the midst of heavy winds which typically occur in April?

Any manner of outdoor patio chairs and umbrellas would be flying all over the place. Plus that the wind is biting in early April.

We're in the prairies, as such it makes sense, as I mentioned previous in the thread, for patios to be fairly enclosed places strategically surrounded by say 3 walls but with sun exposure.

Almost no thought goes into what would make a good patio environment in Edmonton. Almost all of our patios are wide open and exposed to the elements and all situated next to busy streets that we leave copious dumps of sand on. That sandblast any customer daring to sit there until June. Not to mention the noise of cars and motorcyles is not particularly conducive to enjoying a nice meal.

Yeah we need patios open. But more to the point we need a whole rethink on what kind of patios make sense in inclement Edmonton.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-04-2010 at 04:10 AM.

Original Joe's in High Street has had theirs open, as has the BP's on 124/106. Don't think the Urban Diner/Violino/Manor Cafe ones were open, but I might have gone by too late.

surprised that OJ on 102 ave did not have thier's open on Friday after work !

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Ian, how did you expect proprietors to have their patios open last week or the week before when Edmonton was still in the midst of heavy winds which typically occur in April?

Any manner of outdoor patio chairs and umbrellas would be flying all over the place. Plus that the wind is biting in early April.

We're in the prairies, as such it makes sense, as I mentioned previous in the thread, for patios to be fairly enclosed places strategically surrounded by say 3 walls but with sun exposure.

Almost no thought goes into what would make a good patio environment in Edmonton. Almost all of our patios are wide open and exposed to the elements and all situated next to busy streets that we leave copious dumps of sand on. That sandblast any customer daring to sit there until June. Not to mention the noise of cars and motorcyles is not particularly conducive to enjoying a nice meal.

Yeah we need patios open. But more to the point we need a whole rethink on what kind of patios make sense in inclement Edmonton.
    I agree that more thought needs to go into design, but you could say that about most cities...

As for opened with the wind, obviously not, but not open with +20.... even +15, come on.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I agree that more thought needs to go into design, but you could say that about most cities...

As for opened with the wind, obviously not, but not open with +20.... even +15, come on.
    Not really.

Edmonton is more seasonally inclement than most cities. Our shoulder change of season months, April, and October, need as much help as they can get to keep it comfortable.
    But particularly due to the wind which pretty much limits how much outside patio enjoyment takes place. Which is sad because people here WANT to be outside in April after long winters but just not with the ear ache wind. Remove the wind and its very enjoyable early April. I have an April appropriate deck in my backyard. Its a 6mth deck easy and without any heating. How hard would it be for establishments to do this up properly?

With right designs we push patios from April to early October. Its what we need more of here.

Vote.
    With.
    Your.
    Wallet

If you want patios to open, best thing to do is vote with your wallet. Walk into the place, ask if or when the patio will open. Then tell them that you are going to a place with an open patio.

I did this today. Usually I like hanging out at the Allard Block Second Cup because I am acquainted with the owner (Michelle) and Vanessa the barista is one of the sweetest people on Earth. I asked the girl at the counter about opening the patio and got a shrug, so I said I'll be going to the Oliver Square location because they have their outdoor tables out, and left. Sure enough, the Ollie Square location was packed with people sitting outside.

we were hanging out at the pint's patio this aft... love it
    www.decl.org

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast