4) AVRO Avian constructed for internal floor display
    http://www.wopmay.com/images/mercy%2...29/1929_01.jpg
    5) Hawker Hurricane or representation for internal floor display
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../6/0921685.jpg
    6) Bell P-39 or representation for internal floor display
    http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircr...iracobra_2.jpg

And which one for from our external acquisition list:
    1) Curtis Canuck look a like for external display
    [/SIZE]http://www.wingsmagazine.com/images/stories/IMAGES/Webexclusives/2012/03_curtiss_jn-4.jpg
    [SIZE=3]2) DC-3 to be acquired and restored for external display
    http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/39268649.jpg
    3) Canadair Sabre (any Mark) for external display
    http://blog.hawkone.ca/wp-content/up...re-5-23314.jpg
    4) CF-5 to be acquired and restored for external display
    http://home.eblcom.ch/f5enthusiast/P...ada/116810.jpg
    5) CF-18 to be acquired and restored for external display
    http://www.bagotvillemuseum.ca/medias/img-8497-m-g.jpg

Should be next...

With the Starfighter due to arrive in the next 7 to 10days and the Bristol Freighter due late this year it's time to start planning "what's next".

Bearing in mind acquisitions are as much about opportunity as anything we still need to plan and work towards the aircraft we need.

Also important is our mandate, at the main museum site it is "The history of Edmonton and Blatchford Field/City Centre Airport".

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Alberta Aviation Museum View Post
    Time for a serious question...

Tell us which one aircraft from our internal acquisition list:
    5) Hawker Hurricane or representation for internal floor display

For me, the wow factor this aircraft would bring outweighs the benefits of having one of the earlier planes. (And we didn't even fly the P-39, did we?)

Quote Originally Posted by Alberta Aviation Museum View Post
    And which one for from our external acquisition list:
    5) CF-18 to be acquired and restored for external display

Closer race but I'm still going with what would provide the biggest impact (to me).

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hawker hurricane for sure for internal display.

External display, I'd say the Sabre or the CF-18.

Spill
    (And we didn't even fly the P-39, did we?)
    No we did not fly the P-39

But many thousands came to City Centre Airport during the Second World War and were converted for Cold Weather use by North West Industries then continued on to Alaska and into the USSR for combat against NAZI forces.

Edmonton was the start of the Northwest Staging Route during the Second World War and many many thousands of aircraft came through here and on to combat.

The P-39 is the most representative of that history which is why it is on the acquisition list.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

My vote is for a P-39 or P-40 from the lend lease act.

Serious question

An old timer once told me that after the war was over there were many airplanes still on Blanchard field that they would not send to Russia and the USA did not want returned. The guy told me they buried them under what is now the NAIT trades buildings and the planes are still US property. He explained that this was the reason they did not have a basement in those NAIT buildings.

Has anyone ever heard this myth?

I had heard that after building the Alaska highway surplus us army trucks were parked on frozen lakes and sunk to the bottom in the spring to dispose of them. Later I saw pictures that confirmed this story to be true.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 20-03-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

Serious question

An old timer once told me that after the war was over there were many airplanes still on Blanchard field that they would not send to Russia and the USA did not want returned. The guy told me they buried them under what is now the NAIT trades buildings and the planes are still US property. He explained that this was the reason they did not have a basement in those NAIT buildings.

Thanks for the input

Not many P-40s came through here (not many went to Russia) adn most of those that did went up for the Alaskan Campaign against the Japanses....yes the Japanese did invade some of the Alaskan Islands and were then pushed out by US and Canadian forces.

That's why the P-39 is the preferred aircraft of the (2). It has a larger historic provenance to Edmonton.

Then there is myth busting...

Serious question

This one has been around for a long time.

There is lots of stuff buried at ECCA and under NAIT, but no complete aircraft. Parts, wreckage and all kinds of "stuff", some of it fairly big, but no completes.

The completes were dispersed through both the Canadian and US government systems (thats why the largest numbers of P-40s flying today are ex-RCAF, same with B-25s IIRC)

Excess parts ended up all over Edmonton in different scrap yards and up to the 70s a lot of stuff was around.

The damaged stuff and unsellable stuff was often buried. Some on airport, some offsite in the areas you describe.

Somewhat like the "Buried Spitfires" this one has been chased to death.

In my highly biased personal opinion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Much as I think the Hurricane is a drop-dead gorgeous aircraft ... unsure of its connection to our little piece of history.

Have to vote Avro Avian on that count.

For external, depends on whether you are thinking civilian or military. If the former, DC-3. If latter - the Freedom Fighter gets my vote.
    Last edited by McBoo; 20-03-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    ... gobsmacked

Hi McBoo
    Much as I think the Hurricane is a drop-dead gorgeous aircraft ... unsure of its connection to our little piece of history.
    Quite a number of Edmdontonians and Albertans flew the Hurricane in combat....

Including this one...
    Peter "Cowboy" Blatchford, son of Mayor Ken Blatchford
    http://www.acesofww2.com/Canada/aces/blatchford.htm

It is said he was last seen over the Channel trying to singly defend a flight of bombers returning from the mission noted in the link.

Should also note:
    -Shared in the first 'kill' of the Battle of Britain
    -Credited with the first "Canadian" aerial victory of WW2
    -Was awarded for feigning attacks on enemy aircraft after his guns had run out of ammunition and intentionally ramming an enemy aircraft during the same battle.

Pretty amazing and brave Edmontonian

In my highly biased personal opinion
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 20-03-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Information in italics added after original post

C2E Continued Contributor

Hurricane
    CF-18

Having said that' there's only one on the list I would vote against so you can't go far wrong!
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Here's something a little out of the box that I'd like to see; would it be possible to touch on CYXD's commercial aviation history? Why not have a display with an old Canadian F28 sitting next to the 737 (there's plenty of those in storage around Canada), or grab one of CYXD's old jetways from storage at YEG and somehow set it up so that it mates with the PWA 737? Just set it up on the old dirt lot between the museum and the other hangar (west of the 737). You could even incorporate the Canadian pushback tug that's sitting there!

And my fantasy-filled ramble is done.

Hawker Hurricane and CF-18
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Thanks Thomas for the myth answers. Best information I ever got on the subject.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanGalhanth View Post
    Here's something a little out of the box that I'd like to see; would it be possible to touch on CYXD's commercial aviation history? Why not have a display with an old Canadian F28 sitting next to the 737 (there's plenty of those in storage around Canada), or grab one of CYXD's old jetways from storage at YEG and somehow set it up so that it mates with the PWA 737? Just set it up on the old dirt lot between the museum and the other hangar (west of the 737). You could even incorporate the Canadian pushback tug that's sitting there!

And my fantasy-filled ramble is done.
    Jordan
    Quite like your fantasy filled rambling and it's been talked about.

The problem is room, if nothing changes we simply will not have the room to do it. What space is around our operation has been planned for and will be used for a variety of changes that are coming and that just doesn't leave the room we need to make ether the F-28 or Jet way possible.

Love the idea though

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

Thomas, what happened to the PTVs that used to operate at YEG back in the Wardair years?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Thomas, what happened to the PTVs that used to operate at YEG back in the Wardair years?
    To honest I don't know.

Several of our Ex Wardair guys tried to track them but like many artifacts of modern history....they've disappeared.

but we still track down leads on them and a number of other items.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

A PBY would be a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    A PBY would be a nice addition.
    Agree

One operated from here with RCAF 165 Squadron pl;us quite a number commercially right through the 70s.

But it won't fit in the available room.

Thomas Hinderks
    Executive Director
    Alberta Aviation Museum

C2E SME

Hawker Hurricane and CF-18 are my votes.

The CF-18 would definitely bring some further attention and definitely touch a bit more towards modern history.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

A friend sent me this link (see below). Neat idea. Maybe the start of something cool?

Now, wouldn't it be cool if every aviation museum in the world had such accommodation (possibly unique to each museum). Not to mention locals wanting to stay is such a thing, I could see people going out of their way to travel the world as part of a bucket list, just to be able to stay at the whole variety of accommodations that could develop around the world.

Amazing Hotel inside a Boeing 747
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afTH...ature=youtu.be